What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Ryan's tackle on Michael Crocker near full time

lucablight

First Grade
in the grand final is the most underrated tackle ever. Chris Walker could have won the roosters the game. I can't believe a bigger deal wasn't made out of it. Obviously Bulldogs fans don't realise how close they were.

Yep had Crocker got thru and he was 95% thru he had Mini on his inside and Walker and Hodges on his outside. If they scored in the corner and miss conversion Finch is a genius for taking the FG when he did.

Dogaholic

First Grade
I've seen the footage! i know how great that tackle was...well, both his tackles in the closing moment! :clap:

Tommy Smith

Referee
Southern Rooster said:
Yep had Crocker got thru and he was 95% thru he had Mini on his inside and Walker and Hodges on his outside. If they scored in the corner and miss conversion Finch is a genius for taking the FG when he did.
Ouch! never saw the replay so when you put it that way, the pain just increases ten fold. I mean we were fuqing so close to scoring and winning that game on atleast 3 occasions. This just highlights it. Such a tiny difference between an era of a truly great team ala Brisbane 90's, Eels 80's and an era of a team that will ultimately be remembered as chokers. Harsh, but true.

DJ Raida

Bench
It was a really special tackle, every time i watch it i note how good it was. On the telecast, Sterlo makes a huge deal about it but the others are too busy talking about how the bulldogs have won the game

thickos

First Grade
Awesome tackle - I was in line with it behind the sticks on Sunday.

It was scary how close Crocker was to breaking the line.

Andrew Ryan - you champ 8) :clap: :mrgreen:

Kris_man

Bench
but it wasn't a "tackle" per se, because he didn't have hold of Crocker as he hit the ground. it was more of a ... stop? but whatever it was, it was a season-saver. i don't blame the commentators for not preferring to talk about the Bulldogs win, it was a grand final!

Tommy Smith

Referee
Raider_69 said:
it was pretty good but it was no Scotty Sattler
It was much more important and IMO more difficult. Stopping an initially ankle-tapped winger, a slow one at that too, by dragging him over the side line around the legs in the WET is not as good as a last ditch ankle tap on a rampaging forward when at full stretch. Sattler's was just more spectacular, thats all. People had time to gather their thoughts at what was going to happen, or what could happen if you know what i mean. Ryans though was instant.

lazza

Juniors
It was pretty good, but i have no doubts that if finch could pass left to right properly and if it was half a second faster, crocker woulda broke the tackle and we would have been in.

but the entire night was like that... missed opportunities.

eg fittler's passes to hegarty and cross in first half, dropped balls etc.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Tommy Smith said:
Raider_69 said:
it was pretty good but it was no Scotty Sattler
It was much more important and IMO more difficult. Stopping an initially ankle-tapped winger, a slow one at that too, by dragging him over the side line around the legs in the WET is not as good as a last ditch ankle tap on a rampaging forward when at full stretch. Sattler's was just more spectacular, thats all. People had time to gather their thoughts at what was going to happen, or what could happen if you know what i mean. Ryans though was instant.

thats exactly it, it was the spectacular lead up and what not that the sattler tackle had, thats why it has been over looked

technically the ryan tackle was much harder to complete but it didnt have the same aura about it

Mick Crocker done his ankle bad aginst cowboys week before when ryan ankle tapped him it killed him sent shock waves through his body thats why he dropped it spoke to him last night i he is getting operated on his ankle as well as his neck .
But his a gun and all heart and played.

atomic_crimson

Juniors
lucablight said:
in the grand final is the most underrated tackle ever. Chris Walker could have won the roosters the game. I can't believe a bigger deal wasn't made out of it. Obviously Bulldogs fans don't realise how close they were.

trust me we know.... he saved it for us on two occasions and they made it known to him back at the club...

blackfriday

Juniors
looking at the replays it was no scotty sattler but geez he really did save the game there and no one is talking about it.

Anonymous

Juniors
The Sattler tackle is the most overrated of all time...Byrne stumbled getting away from the first defender and had no chance to reach top speed, and Sattler didn't "run him down", Sattler had a 3 or 4 metre headstart...it would have been a poor effort had he missed it.

Dog-E

Juniors
Oh yes - We LOVE the Bobcat!!!

He is ALL class, and will make a damn fine Doggies skipper in the best Bulldog traditions of Baa, Britt and of course - Pricey!...And he was a childhood Dogs fan to boot!

Ahhh, I've said it a thousand times over the past 2 years....and I'll say it again now - BRIAN SMITH - THANKS CHAMP! :D

Latest posts