What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Voss on Roast.

The Popper

Bench
It's all been done before. A quarter of a century ago me and lotsa others outlaid the hard earned to `Save the Sharks'. As my missus just reminded me - we've done it TWICE. One of these times I even received token acknowledgement which was taken away from me at a later date, by an administration not around during our times of trouble. So where are we now? Now we're even in a seemingly worse position - and minus the hard earned. So if you want it again that's THREE BLOODY TIMES. You can't keep hitting the same people again, and again, and again. Just like the raffle sellers at the ground. You end up flogging a dead horse. As Peter Gow said `Now they'll have to think outside the square'. I don't think the current mob have the ability to do so.
People thinking up this idea obviously haven't been around too long.

Last edited:
Not necessarily so Pop.. some may not have been around and others like myself may not mind digging into the pocket again.

I'd fork over $200 to a Save Our Sharks drive. Two provisos - i) Forecast budget and business plan ii) Aim to stay in the Shire

Feej

First Grade
I'm sorry, but I wouldn't trust the current mob that run the joint with my hard eaned $$$ at the moment.

I just don't trust 'em.

DJDL

First Grade
Great work mate, come over to Bay 15 for a beer at some stage if you can.

We gotta sell out the Dragons game as a start. 23000 would immediately lift our Shark Park average to around 12000. That's only 1000 below the target. If we follow that up with a "Save the Sharks" drive for the Warriors game, I mean really make it a marquee long weekend, then we might get 15000 and we are on the way back from oblivion.

It's very doable.

Good to see you back Macca. Been far too long :)
Agreed on those two games. A couple of good crowds in a row could really boost the average. Would be great to see a concerted push by the Masons (amongst others) to get the numbers to those games

Vin Fizz

Bench
No problem chipping in here. I'm a lifelong Canberra based fan and all this shyte is killing me, I can't watch any footy at the moment I'm so disillusioned. Everything looked so promising before the season started :(

Just like plasterted. Live in the Capital, life long sharkie. I'm in. FTR I just bought some more merch after reading Sticks passioned plea in the rag.

Plastered and I will drive up to the next game (whatever helps). Get your drinking boots on Vim!

The Popper

Bench
Not necessarily so Pop.. some may not have been around and others like myself may not mind digging into the pocket again.
I'd fork over $200 to a Save Our Sharks drive. Two provisos - i) Forecast budget and business plan ii) Aim to stay in the Shire

$200 x 5000 = $1,000,000. Or even make it 10,000 people = $2m. That wouldn't go far, SOL. Forecast budget, business plan or whatever, you could bet your boots that it would fizzle out over time. That amount of money would only be about 1/4 or so of the salary cap. Most of the other 250,000 or so people in the Shire couldn't give a damn about the Sharks. I was present at two of those council meetings and, believe me, the numbers of opposition in the gallery certainly exceeded those in support of the development. I attended through curiosity and to lend support where necessary, but those in opposition were organised and sometimes vocal. They were guised as local residents groups but all opposition was seemingly of the `green' variety. Opposition to the development came from Labor and Shire Watch councillors predominantly. The most vocal against the Sharks Development was Spencer from `A' Ward. The Liberal councillors supported the Sharks proposal. Admittedly, that was a few years ago but I would say sides wouldn't have changed much. I would imagine letters to the councillors would be more effective. Like politicians, and members of various Boards, the most important thing to these people is to retain their little pocket of power so, the way I see it, they'd appease those who would challenge it, should they think the threat warrants it. :crazy:
Maybe our Board is doing all they can, but `nice guys finish last.'

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Popper why have you waited so long to share this knowledge?
FFS It is a given that the labor voting & the green element are the enemy of the Sharks.
Don't try & paint it a different way.
Costello granted the Sharks 9 million for a new stand.
Listen & learn you labor voting merkins. WAKE THE f*ck UP!!!

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
I've mentioned it a couple of times in previous posts over the years, Blacktip.
Then its time we re-inforced it & made everybody know that labor & the greens are the enemy.
Dont just write to the left wing merkins in the shire, all us national supporters need to write to the left wing merkins in their area.

politics 101 people. Labor, greens ,left wing are anti human, anti consumption & anti Sharks

Stonecutter

First Grade
I haven't read all the posts in this thread so this might have been brought up before. Sorry if it has.

Anyway the Wollongong Hawks NBL team is/was in a very similar position to us. Low crowds and low financial backing from sponsors (who would want to sponsor an NBL team in the gong?) meant they were going under for not being able to meet the $1mill NBL licence. Anyway news spread on radio and local news, the community started to pull through with the MASSIVE aid of players like Matt Campbell (pretty much led the fight to save the hawks). So they got the licence in 08.

09 and once again the club needed to ask for sponsors and people to buy memberships as they were once again not able to meet the $1 mill licence. Campbell once again rallied the community, got sponsors and in the end a big financial backer for a mine out the back of Dapto somewhere came in and has pledged to save the club. Now the money is there...but the NBL still hasn't assured the Hawks a licence. The club is now pretty much owned by the people as a result as well.

With Cronulla, until we get the development running or a big financial backer/private ownership. We will be forced to pretty much pay every year to just to see them in the NRL but unlike the Hawks, the club won't be run by the people but still the same board which hasn't done enough to save the club. Ricky is slowley assuming the Matt Campbell type role, but is he meeting business owners face to face and selling the sharks product? I doubt it, and I doubt anyone else at the club is as well.

A save the sharks movement is now really needed. But until we get significant financial help or the development actually goes ahead soon, it'll just be delaying the inevitable. I pray that we can survive until one of the top 2 options occur, otherwise it's almost certain to be lights out for the Cronulla Sutherland Sharks. The Wollongong Hawks even with the communty sponsors and membership drive were still below the quota in only the 2nd year of financial doom and would not even be applying for a licence had it not been for the backing by the mine owner who was "keen to get involved and help out the community more".

If the people save the club, shouldn't the people have the right to say how the club is run?

CarlU

Juniors
Make a new membership package. Call it the "Save the Sharks Package" and advertise it in the papers.

EDIT: Sorry, just read a few posts on this thread, realise what I said has been suggested 100 times before.

Last edited:

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
If the people on here are holding out money because they dont want the current borad to get it, then the sharks deserve to die.
there is no negotiating folkes.
You're in or they are out.
simple.

Stonecutter

First Grade
You still need to give the people/community something back for spending the hard earned especially in this economic sh*thole. Going out and begging without giving something back in return won't see us last long.

imasharkie

Coach
I Live in Brisbane, only been up here 6 years and went to every home game and as many away games I could for 25 years before moving up here.

If the club had a $300 membersgip package with voting rights and an absentee voting policy.

Yeah $300 to pay to keep us alive, Done.

we have come up with some good ideas for fund raising but we need cash now and I think the only quick solution would be to go public. I would put in $5,000 if I could get shares and would increase this amount with time, I am sure there are plenty more out there that would do the same

Marty

I too live in Brissy and when I resided in the shire I used to go to all home games. I was a member then but I didn't renew my membership with the club until 5 years ago. I pay $15 and $54 a year to be a member of the leagues and footy clubs and would gladly pay $200 a year instead to help out the club even though I probably have only been to the club about ten times in those 5 years.
I'm pretty sure most sharkies supporters would do the same.

Ads

First Grade
Ive only read this last page but im in...$200 to keep us in the shire is an easy option for me, and i would think alot of my non forum going friends would be in aswell.

Saying that would our board even think about doing something like this? It seems too logical for them. Has it been said that this thread needs to be shown to Barry and co? The board or someone from the club owe it to us to have a look at this.

The Popper

Bench
As already said, this has all been done before. It stems the tide for a while but then the dam bursts again. I really think corporate or private ownership is the only way to go. It would be a shame for members like you and I to no longer have a say, but it is a recession and we wanna be strong. :shock:
In the figures mentioned we would need $200 from 20,000 people per year, every year ad infinitum. Attendances show that on a bad day we get 8K and on a good day we get 15K, and on an exceptional day we get 19K. Now about 1/4 of these would be opposition supporters with exceptional days (E.G. v Saints) being 50% opposition. $4m a year in this manner. Just doesn't cut it.
Oh, yeah. And the size of the crowd depends how we're travelling with wins and also the strength of support for opposing teams. Winning puts bums on seats. Dispute it all you like, but it's a fact.
We want a permanent solution, not a string of `bandaid' solutions. The `development' was supposed to deliver that, but it hasn't so far.

Last edited:

newman

First Grade
Id do it for sure.
And Macca, great to see you around. Hopefully we can use this awful time to get all sharks supporters together and stronger in solidarity!

Latest posts