What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andy Farrell wins Golden Boot award

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
No.......there are better players that play in England or Australia...he did play well but give it to someone who has in turn dominated at international level....dominate he didn't

DIEHARD

----
I knew Farrell would win it this year. About time another Brit won the award. I think he is a worthy winner.

BBC said:
Farrell/Noble scoop top honours

Farrell became only the second Briton to win the top award
Great Britain captain Andy Farrell and coach Brian Noble landed the big prizes at the Gillette International Rugby League Awards dinner in Leeds.
Farrell, who will lead Britain out in Saturday's Tri-Nations final against Australia, clinched the Golden Boot for the game's leading player.

And Noble, who is in his first season in charge of the national team, was named international coach of the year.

Farrell became only the second Briton after Ellery Hanley to win the award.

The 29-year-old beat off the challenge of Australians Shane Webcke and 2003 winner Darren Lockyer to lift the title, which was presented by former GB captain and coach Hanley, who won the Golden Boot in 1989.

Farrell has enjoyed his best-ever season, winning the Super League's Man of Steel award for the second time and captaining the Lions to their first hat-trick of wins in over a decade.

Noble was named international coach of the year

He has not missed a Great Britain match since making a try-scoring debut against New Zealand in 1993 and will win his 34th cap on Saturday to climb to fifth place in the British all-time list.

Farrell, who led Wigan to within one game of a second successive Grand Final appearance this season, will captain his country for a record 29th time.

Noble guided his club side, Bradford Bulls, to the 2004 World Club Challenge by defeating Penrith Panthers, and narrowly lost out to Leeds Rhinos in the Super League Grand Final after finishing runners-up in the regular season.

Lockyer was named international back of the year ahead of team-mate Anthony Minichiello and Britain winger Brian Carney, while Farrell beat Webcke and Bradford prop Stuart Fielden to the forward of the year award.

New Zealand teenager Sonny Bill Williams was named international newcomer of the year, ahead of Australian Karmichael Hunt and the British duo of Danny McGuire and Stuart Reardon.

Russell Smith won the top international referee award and the developing nations prize went to French forward Djamel Fakir.

Congratulations Andy Farrell. The last time a Pom has won was 1989!

I have to say, I never understood what the fuss was about with him. He's a good leader and a good player, but extremely overrated for the most part IMO...

colonel_123

Juniors
Chippo Raiders said:
No.......there are better players that play in England or Australia...he did play well but give it to someone who has in turn dominated at international level....dominate he didn't

I can't really think of anyone who has dominated at international level this year?

Apart from the ANZAC Test, the tri-nations is the only chance we've had to see the three top nations playing against each other.

Both New Zealand and Australia have been down on form this tri-series and noone really stands out who has been dominating for them, especially Lockyer's injury.

Great Britain has finished on top of the table after the pool round So it seems only fair that someone from Britain should win it.

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
Not saying that an Englishmen shouldn't recieve it....

Stuart Fielden, Sculthorpe, McGuire have been more impressive than Farrell

Mr Saab

Referee
i have no problem with him winning it. There might be better players in australia, but none really stood out.

Broncodroid

Juniors
I Bleed Green said:
I have to say, I never understood what the fuss was about with him. He's a good leader and a good player, but extremely overrated for the most part IMO...

Couldn't of said it better myself...

If the IRL wants to try and sell this BS to Rugby League fans that this is the best player in Rugby League...I am not here nor will I accept the ranking. Good luck to him, he has been a UK RL pin up boy and heralded for years since making his debut as a teenager in the UK...IMO, he is nothing spectacular and overrated.

It amazes me how Newcastle's Danny Buderus is not amongst the players mentioned for this award...Don't quote me, but he was Newcastle's stand in captain, Dally M player of the year in the best competition, NSW Captain, a standout in S.O.O., solid for Australia...it amazes me that this guy was not mentioned and Shane Webcke was who IMO had a down year at Origin and during the backend of the year struggled with injury.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Brian Carney has scored more in the Tri Nations than he did all season for Wigan in Super League.

Super League is that strong and tough that he could only manage something like 2 all year. (That and the fact he was constantly injured and played about 5 times all year!)

As much as I despise the man Farrell certainly deserves it. Most of you who pan Super League simply haven't watched it enough. The standards are up there with the NRL and its improving all the time. The ONLY difference between Australian League in general and UK is the strength in depth Australia has. There are simply more decent players in Aus then in the UK, but its improving with something like 6 quality teams that could cut it against NRL opposition, which has risen from zero in a small time frame.

But with GB dominating Junior rugby league, even when played in Aus and NZ over the past few years the small gap will continue to close.

fat_mike

Juniors
if farrell won it for his style of play then nathan hindmarsh shouldve been mentioned. absolute freakin workorse in attack and defense, carried his club team most of the year, changed the way the first gb match went, played his guts out at S.O.O and is in my opinion the best backrower in the world at the moment.

good on farrell for winning it, but stewy fielden has dominated and has been more of a rock for his club and country than farrell.

JW

Coach
Broncodroid said:
I Bleed Green said:

If the IRL wants to try and sell this BS to Rugby League fans that this is the best player in Rugby League...I am not here nor will I accept the ranking. Good luck to him, he has been a UK RL pin up boy and heralded for years since making his debut as a teenager in the UK...IMO, he is nothing spectacular and overrated.

It amazes me how Newcastle's Danny Buderus is not amongst the players mentioned for this award...Don't quote me, but he was Newcastle's stand in captain, Dally M player of the year in the best competition, NSW Captain, a standout in S.O.O., solid for Australia...it amazes me that this guy was not mentioned and Shane Webcke was who IMO had a down year at Origin and during the backend of the year struggled with injury.

Agreed. And why am I getting the feeling that people are basing nominations and the result of this "award" on performances in the Tri-Nations alone? From memory the season started way back in March.

So it's official.

Andy Farrell is now "the best Rugby League player in the world"...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers.

Humphrey

Juniors
fat_mike said:
if farrell won it for his style of play then nathan hindmarsh shouldve been mentioned. absolute freakin workorse in attack and defense, carried his club team most of the year, changed the way the first gb match went, played his guts out at S.O.O and is in my opinion the best backrower in the world at the moment.

Good on Farrell for winning it, but stewy fielden has dominated and has been more of a rock for his club and country than farrell.

Good on Andy Farrell for his award he is the best leader on any paddock BUT for my money the best player would have gone to Carney or Hindmarsh

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Hard to say as I have not watched any ESL games.
Buderus was the best Aussie going around, I am presuming Farrell had an outstanding season in ESL.
Congrats to him.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
If you are talking the 'best' player in Rugby League then the ONLY candidate is Darren Lockyer and its been that way for years. He's been better than Johns during his reign too.

If you are talking this years form Farrell is a worthy winner. Buderus has done nothing at all on tour and Lockyer has been injured an awful lot. Carney has also played a handful of games in the last 12 months so cannot be a contender.

colonel_123

Juniors
JW said:
Broncodroid said:
I Bleed Green said:

Agreed. And why am I getting the feeling that people are basing nominations and the result of this "award" on performances in the Tri-Nations alone? From memory the season started way back in March.

So it's official.

Andy Farrell is now "the best Rugby League player in the world"...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers.

It's not based just on performances in the tri-nations. Andy Farrell won the award for the best player in the English Super League. Buderus for the best player in the NRL.

The two players have then had the chance to perform at the International level during the tri-nations. I think Farrell has been the stronger during the tri-nations.

This is then combined with the fact that he was voted the best player in the English Super League this year and there you have your winner...

Farrell must have played the house down in ESL this year cause IMO he would be perhaps the 4th best GB forward this series and wouldn't be in their top 5 for the series.
Is solid at best and has always been slightly over rated for my money...but well done to him

Foz

Bench
I only watch the games on Friday arvo in the English Super League with my kids running around up to no good most of the time so I dont know a lot of the players names but the Leeds 5/8 is the best player I've seen from over there.
Farrell was excellent against the kiwis but Fielden and Morley have been ahead of Farrell in the whole series.
The only Australian forward I'd wrap is Willie Mason. He played well for the Dogs all year as well.
My verdict on World player of the year-the Leeds 5/8.
Is it Danny Mcguire?