What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andy Farrell wins Golden Boot award

Jeffles

Bench
I don't neceassarily think Farrell is the best in the world but he did win Man of Steel and has been playiong out of his skin for the Lions. Definitely not as bad as Mr Ritchie suggests.

Shifty

Juniors
Nathan Hindmarsh - consistently high workrate and great performances all season for the Eels, with very little support, dominant in Origin this year and one of, if not, the best players in the Tri-Nations.

Farrell must have had one hell of a season if he's had a better year than Hindmarsh, because Hindmarsh has wiped the floor with him in the Tri-Nations.

Jeffles

Bench
WRITE TO DEAN RITCHIE AND VOICE YOUR DISGUST. I HAVE

Mr Ritchie

I must respond to the article you had published in today's Tele. I watch Superleague every week and feel that you have not been fair in your assessment of Andy Farrell

Whilst I do agree with you that the awarding of the Golden Boot to Farrell was a surprise, I hardly think the award is a farce.

I disagree with your assessment of Farrell and his form in the Tests. He is far better than 28th best in the world and has played out of his skin for the Lions (outplaying many of the people on your list ranked 1-27).

He won the Man of Steel (equivalent of the Dally M) in the UK. This speaks volumes for his ability.

You say:

"Award organisers claim journalists from the northern and southern hemisphere voted. No one at The Daily Telegraph has ever been asked.".

I'm sure I do not have to tell you, but the Tele is not the be all and end all of RL press. I understand your colleagues at Fairfax voted on the award. These are the same people that are excluded from Dally M voting (yet you would have no problem upholding the credibility of that award).

I hope that for the benefit of your writing, that you do not view the Rugby League world in the future with the blinkers you wore when you wrote this piece.

Regards

In-goal

Bench
Nathan Hindmarsh - consistently high workrate and great performances all season for the Eels, with very little support, dominant in Origin this year and one of, if not, the best players in the Tri-Nations.

Farrell must have had one hell of a season if he's had a better year than Hindmarsh, because Hindmarsh has wiped the floor with him in the Tri-Nations.

what a feed of hot Cock, did you watch Australia play NZ hindmarsh wouldn't take the ball up maybe you don't realise that there is more to RL than just tackling.

Broncodroid

Juniors
In-goal said:

what a feed of hot c**k, did you watch Australia play NZ hindmarsh wouldn't take the ball up maybe you don't realise that there is more to RL than just tackling.

In turn did you watch the 2004 NRL season paying attention to the Origin series in particular. Whilst I am not going to sit here and argue about his game vs NZ, I will say even the best players in the world have an off day and Hindmarsh has played well in the tri-series.

Shifty

Juniors
Hindmarsh tends to concentrate on defence and he has been the top tackler in all but one of the Tri Nations games he has played in, he was second highest to Danny Peacock in the last meeting.

Farrell has a good workrate in both defence and attack, averaging twice as many metres as Hindmarsh. Hindmarsh averages over 40 tackles a game to Farrell's 28.

Hindmarsh however has far more ability to turn a match and he did this in the first game between the two sides with two crucial charge downs. Hindmarsh mightn't make that many hit-ups, but when he does he often puts someone through a gap with an offload or simply busts through himself.

Saying he's wiped the floor with Farrell was a fair stretch, but I'd definitely say he's had more impact on the series.

In any case I'm not saying that Farrell doesn't deserve the golden boot, just that Hindmarsh should have been the front-runner for Australia.

In-goal

Bench
Remeber all the Golden boot goes to International player of the year, not the best from the NRL or SOO all though these games to count towards the score. The golden boot has increased points for international matches as that is were the best realy do go head to head.

vbfg

Juniors
As someone who has bagged Farrell for hiding on the wing for years I can honestly say I think he's a worthy winner this year. He's finally living up to the hype that he generated in his first couple of seasons.

Fielden has had a poor season, at least by his standards. Carney has been out most of the season. Morley has a high workrate but is just a biffballer IMO. I don't see as much NRL as I'd like to but I can't think of a better British player of the course of this season than Farrell.

shaggy

Juniors
Farrel deserves it, he had a great season 4 wigan, he carried them all the way playing out of position @ prop
all these other players that have been mentioned here played in their natural positions
led wigan with a broken nose that kept getitng re broken every game & decided 2 wait 2 after the tri nations 2 get it fixed
thats what i call a champion player

DIEHARD

----
farrell_andy_gboot04.jpg