What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Annual NRL Forum Poll Awards 2007: Fullback

vote for the best fullback in 2007.

• William Zillman

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • David Peachey

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Billy Slater

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Kurt Gidley

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Sam Perrett

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Wade Mckinnon

Votes: 51 35.4%
  • Preston Cambell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rhys Wesser

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ben Hornby

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Luke Burt

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Luke Patten

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Brett Stewart

Votes: 26 18.1%
  • Jarryd Hayne

• Nathan Merritt

• Karmichael Hunt

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Matt Bowen

Votes: 24 16.7%
  • Brett Hodgson

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rovelli

Bench
McKinnon:
- has gone from a solid first-grader whilst with Parramatta to being the Warriors' star back
- he was a top-10 player in Dally M voting until it became hidden
- is second in line-breaks behind Matt Bowen
- is a great tackle-breaker, with a great fend
- has scored 9 tries this season, and been in the right place at the right time more often than not
- if NSW teams were being picked, he'd definitely be a go for the City/Country team (depending on what team eligible), if not the SOO team itself.

Redback71

First Grade
why wasnt he a good finnisher at the eels like he is now. sure he mckinnon made the breaks and the tackle breaks like he is now but he wasnt as good in support and getting accross the line.

if he played for the eels last year like his is now, it would have made a big difference at the back end of the season. especially the last 3 games.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Rubbish.

McKinnon had been one of our best players ever since he came back to the club and statistically one of the best fullbacks in the NRL - kick returns, running metres, linebreaks, tackle busts...

But the Warriors forwards suit his game so well... he has stepped up a notch further this year and I was surprised he wasn't considered for Blues fullback. Brett Stewart is a brilliant player but McKinnon is so much stronger - like Minichiello he is custom made for Origin football.

Fast Eddie said:
What a buy he has been.

Mate, I was spewing we couldn't afford to keep him.

Rovelli

Bench
Redback71 said:
why wasnt he a good finnisher at the eels like he is now. sure he mckinnon made the breaks and the tackle breaks like he is now but he wasnt as good in support and getting accross the line.

if he played for the eels last year like his is now, it would have made a big difference at the back end of the season. especially the last 3 games.

Last year, I remember him BOMBING tries because
a) he didn't pass
b) made a mess of drawing the last line of defense and passing it

Also, as Finch says, Parra have (one of) the best backline...guys like Hayne, Grothe and Burt were ever-present too.

Rovelli

Bench
Poupou Escobar said:
Mate, I was spewing we couldn't afford to keep him.

If you were to look at it, the Eels liked Burt at fullback, and had SOO wings in Grothe and Hayne. McKinnon ended up being the odd-man out.

Seemed like an 'easy' choice then.

McKinnon. Without a doubt the most improved player in the NRL this year. Should of played for the blues, he wouldn't of smiled after a series loss.

Zillman coming in 2nd. He's simply electrifying.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
What no Simmons?

I refuse to vote.

Simmons is bestest, bestest ever fullback, just ask millersnose.

seriously Wade easily, plus he is Angry too.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Rovelli said:
If you were to look at it, the Eels liked Burt at fullback, and had SOO wings in Grothe and Hayne. McKinnon ended up being the odd-man out.

Seemed like an 'easy' choice then.

I don't think it was an easy choice - McKinnon was and still is clearly a better fullback than Burt.

But Burt was still under contract and they had to find a spot for him because of his goalkicking. Since he's a far better fullback than winger, and Wade was off contract the hard decision had to be made.

But don't think we didn't want him. Wade's been one of our best for years and the salary cap just made it impossible to keep him. As it should.

The idea of the cap is to spread the talent around and it's doing that job well.

perverse

Referee
i'm gonna let my bias shine through on this one - kurt gidley has been totally dynamic for the knights in a predominantly beaten team... and has single handedly (i mean that very literally too.. you'd swear there were 4 of him on the field sometimes) dragged us across the line for at least 3 or 4 games this season. i've no doubt his raw stats will rival - if not beat the more preferred #1's in this thread too.

bias or not - i feel the guy deserved a plug in here... average first grader (albeit with the odd flash of brilliance) into superstar fullback in a single off season was a very impressive transformation for gids.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Dutchy said:
So you dont think Stewart has improved a lot since last season?

I don't, but he hasn't needed to. He was great last season too.

Not to say he hasn't improved - his ability to drift across field and pick up runners has improved but otherwise he's the same player he was last year.

Ice777

Bench
Dutchy said:
So you dont think Stewart has improved a lot since last season?

I think Stewart has had a very good season and he'd be in the top few fullbacks this season. But it has nothing to do with how much he's improved from last season as that's not the question that was asked. The question is who is the fullback of this year and i commented that i'm not surprised at all that you picked your own player. I reckon they could've put Watmough in the poll instead of Stewart and you would've picked the big fella :lol:

Ranger Jace

Juniors
I'd say Wade but I'm pretty sure Kurt Gidley would have been in with a big chance had he not gotten injured during origin.

perverse

Referee
Ranger Jace said:
I'd say Wade but I'm pretty sure Kurt Gidley would have been in with a big chance had he not gotten injured during origin.
he would have been a big chance at the dally m had he not been injured.

Latest posts