What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Carney To the Roosters

Another Carney crows for Roosters

BY CHRIS DUTTON, RUGBY LEAGUE
02 Jul, 2010 08:00 AM

The rivalry between the Canberra Raiders and Sydney Roosters is set to explode after Justin Carney agreed to a two-year deal with the Bondi-based club yesterday.
Just four days out from the crucial round 17 clash between the teams, Carney has ensured the Raiders-Roosters ongoing war will erupt at Canberra Stadium on Sunday.
The Roosters have made a habit of poaching the Raiders' rising stars in the past.
Speculation is also growing Canberra fullback Josh Dugan will follow Carney to the Roosters at the end of next season and they already boast sacked Raiders playmaker Todd Carney and winger Phil Graham. They lured Joel Monaghan to Sydney for three seasons before the Canberra junior returned to the Raiders in 2008.
But while the Roosters continually raid Canberra's junior ranks, Raiders chief executive Don Furner was not surprised by Carney's defection.
''It's amazing, that's all I'll say,'' Furner said of the Roosters' ability to sign Carney.
''It's one of the things wrong with the game, but what can you do?
''We made him an offer, but we hadn't heard back so we assumed he was making other plans.
''It's not a shock, it's disappointing because we would have liked to have kept him, but it's not a shock.''
Raiders chairman John McIntyre took a swipe at the Roosters, saying: ''That's the way they run their business ... we all do our best for ourselves so I'm disappointed, but it's not the end of the world.''
Carney made his NRL debut for the Raiders in 2008 and helped Canberra's under-20s side to the inaugural premiership in the same year.
The winger hasn't played in the NRL since badly breaking his leg against the Gold Coast Titans 12 months ago. The Raiders offered him a two-year deal.
But his decision to join the Roosters came just a week after he made the admission money would be a major factor in where he would play next season.
For more on this story, see the print edition of today's Canberra Times.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new...nother-carney-crows-for-roosters/1874638.aspx

FMD how many raiders do these pr*cks want. They should be known as the Sydney City Raiders

skeepe

Immortal
I hate that f**king sorry excuse for a club. f**k them and f**k Carney. If he plays first grade this year it will be an outrage. Money hungry wanker.

someone merge the threads please , my internet is slowed down and didnt see the other thread.

As for Carney , enjoy the low life of a club also Have fun in QLD for the rest of the year.

skeepe

Immortal
I hate that f**king sorry excuse for a club. f**k them and f**k Carney. If he plays first grade this year it will be an outrage. Money hungry wanker.

legend

Coach
Would have liked to have kept Carney, but I have no faith in management when it comes to player retention or pretty much anything to do with running the club in a professional manner.

That is why we languish towards the bottom of the table most years.

Bald merkins!

Ive got no problem him chasing the money , but he is going to learn the hard way money isnt everything.

Raiders should make a play for Sam Perritt.

JC was honest, lets hope someone in the team is just as honest instead of saying they are happy for him he had to do what was right for him blah blah blah

they should come out and say he is a money hungry dog.

Paullyboy

Coach
Losing Carney doesn't bother me that much, he's a good finisher, but that's about it. He's very overrated by Raiders fans.

However (and I know this next bit will be deleted, but I don't care) - The Roosters club are nothing short of cheats. They can afford to make offers to every single one of our players, plus have multiple origin and international players, plus poach players from just about any other club, and yet they magically come under the cap because they do back-room deals. As long as the Roosters are involved in rugby league, it's going to go backwards. I've said it before, I'll say it again, I'll happily finance someone to burn down their headquarters. F*ck the lot of them.

Last edited:

Danish

Referee
Have a f**king cry you skirts.

You stole Shillington from us, we are taking Dugan and J. Carney from you. Sounds like a fair deal to me.

Paullyboy

Coach
You guys threw Shillington in the rubbish and treated him like garbage.

The Raiders actually do a little bit of work to help rugby league, unlike your club who is doing everything in it's power to kill it.

aussies1st

Staff member
Sick of all our players heading towards the Roosters. Anyway he should find it easier to crack their backline, we still have Low and Ward coming through the ranks and some other u20 guys.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
why can every team but us afford to buy players??

the bulldogs have picked up 4 guys, the roosters recruiting and the sharks! but why are we never out there picking anyone up.

we cant blame the roosters for buying carney and wanting dugan, hell thats footy. The very least is that we should be out there doing something in the market.

Danish

Referee
You guys threw Shillington in the rubbish and treated him like garbage.

The Raiders actually do a little bit of work to help rugby league, unlike your club who is doing everything in it's power to kill it.

:lol:

More like the Raiders threw $350K and tossed in a contract for Dave's little brother and he couldn't refuse

paullyboy...RE your business opportunity, I'm listening:sarcasm:

F*** F*** F*** THE RORTERS!!!!!

PAthetic excuse for a club. Contribute something to our game or F*** OFF!

JC has said it is all about the money. Fair enough. We understandably didnt throw the bank at him. But how can a club like the roosters whop continually throw money at everyone afford to offer more money than us?

RORTERS!!!! Onto it shubert.

Paullyboy

Coach
:lol:

More like the Raiders threw $350K and tossed in a contract for Dave's little brother and he couldn't refuse

We all know that the Roosters are probably offering 7 figure deals because they know they don't audited in the same manner as any other NRL club, so bringing money into the debate is a very foolish thing to do.

Back to the main point though, can you name me one good thing the Roosters have done for rugby league in the past 50 years? I can tell you right now, they've done nothing good whatsoever. They are a cancer on our great game.

Danish

Referee
We all know that the Roosters are probably offering 7 figure deals because they know they don't audited in the same manner as any other NRL club, so bringing money into the debate is a very foolish thing to do.

Oh so we are arguing from your imaginary fairyland where the roosters don't play under a cap??

Tell me this genius. If the roosters don't play under a salary cap, then why have we only won a single premiership in the past 30 years?

You'd think if we were just able to spend cash willy nilly we'd have taken home a few more trophies given the storm walked away with 2 of em in just a 4 year period of cap rorts, and were on track for a 3rd this year no doubt.

And another thing, if we are just some bottomless pit of money for anyone who'll join us, why is it we have as many State of Origin players in 2010 as the Raiders do?? In fact, we have less. Surely our millions of dodgey dollars could have afforded us a better squad?

In spite of these glaringly obvious facts, I'm sure you'll continue on with your fantastically hilarious anti-rooster rhetoric every chance you get :lol:

Back to the main point though, can you name me one good thing the Roosters have done for rugby league in the past 50 years? I can tell you right now, they've done nothing good whatsoever. They are a cancer on our great game.

Our board, including the Packers and Politis, led the charge against the Super League war. We were also instrumental in getting the Bunnies back into the comp.

I understand why you wouldn't want to acknowledge such things though, given your judas club sold their soul for a few magic beans to News Ltd.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Rooster supporters suddenly like Shillington :lol:

Not only is the club a total fraud but so are the supporters. Do you guys forget what you used to call him. Best prop in the game now. Good to see the Roosters eye at judging talent extends to the supporter base too.

If the Roosters are cheating the cap they do it by buying up a bunch of overrated hacks. Well done Roosters I guess. Carney would struggle to crack out full strength backline so it isn't a massive loss. Possibly comparable to Shillington. Dugan is a different story but he hasn't signed yet.