What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

another dangerous tactic by slater

Gaba

First Grade
Another thing i have notice getting into slater's game lately when he catches the ball in the air, he catches it with his feet outwards towards the running defenders, which could end up as dangerous as he slides with his feet on the ground.

elbusto

Coach
Another thing i have notice getting into slater's game lately when he catches the ball in the air, he catches it with his feet outwards towards the running defenders, which could end up as dangerous as he slides with his feet on the ground.
For him....

gregstar

Referee
if you're going to leave the ground to take the high ball (i'm not a fan,) then propping your knees up or pushing you feet out is the perfect technique.

Sloth

Juniors
He is a grub of the highest order, always niggles and likes to throw punches when people are being held. A great talent no doubt, but just plain and simply one of the games biggest grubs.

Didgi

Is this when Mitchell Pearce does his only play, the bomb? :lol: genius.

It's the best technique for contesting the high bomb. Not sure how it is dangerous either, unless Beau Scott wants to take him out midair or before he has the ball.

Gaba

First Grade
if you're going to leave the ground to take the high ball (i'm not a fan,) then propping your knees up or pushing you feet out is the perfect technique.

I understand players do that , but slater the way he does it is different he knows if he jumps and have feet out towards the defending player, its stops them from contesting
and if the defending player has his eyes on the ball only that player wouldnt see slater's feet and would cop a kick in the head.

Which could end up in bad eye injury or broken nose from slater's sprigs that is what i mean by dangerous , when players who prop their knees when catching the ball is just that with no malice just protecting them selves.

Last edited:

Gaba

First Grade
I swear some of you clowns have never played a game of Rugby League....

the way the league is protecting the players safety, i wont be surprised if tactics like that are stopped.

They are trying to stop the way players come in with sliding knees/feet to prevent a try , i dont see any different to this tactic which is used while in the air

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Of course he's doing it on purpose, nobody is naturally that gumby.

Whether it's the knee or the foot the idea is to make the defenders think twice about hitting him in the air and also to give him more space to catch the ball.

Gaba

First Grade
Of course he's doing it on purpose, nobody is naturally that gumby.

Whether it's the knee or the foot the idea is to make the defenders think twice about hitting him in the air and also to give him more space to catch the ball.

Yes but that is also stopping a fair contest for the ball also, there is protection for players defending being tackled in the air.

Im just making a comment i wont be surprise if the league cracks down on this tactic used by slater which prevents a fair contest for the ball in the air

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Slater isn't the first to use it. It's been going on for years, just not on a regular basis.

I'd say that part of the reason is to encourage defenders to slow down so when the fullbacks toe hits the ground he doesn't get steamrolled at full pace.

I've also seen players try to charge down the football by sticking a foot out high in the air, and there's always the player who gets kicked in the head when another player is having a spaz on the ground trying to get up for a quick play of the ball.

Besides, I think you're overestimating the sort of height Slater gets on his takes. At best his foot would collect a players chest (unless it's Ben Barba/Presto chasing), and furthermore the angle of his foot is more likely to slide down a players body or brush past it rather than do any real damage.

caylo

Bench
I understand players do that , but slater the way he does it is different he knows if he jumps and have feet out towards the defending player, its stops them from contesting
and if the defending player has his eyes on the ball only that player wouldnt see slater's feet and would cop a kick in the head.

Which could end up in bad eye injury or broken nose from slater's sprigs that is what i mean by dangerous , when players who prop their knees when catching the ball is just that with no malice just protecting them selves.

I disagree, if a player jumps to catch the ball in defence they cant be tackled until they are on the ground. Therefor slater shouldnt be tackled when his foot is in that position or he will be balancing on one foot and even if his studs were to hit a player it would be with very minimal force because he will be off balance.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Usually when jumping as high as he does to contest a ball, you'd think that someone else will jump that high with you to contest it with you and you'll more or less end up bumping into them, but last night he could've easily gone head over heels.

Bulldog Force

Referee
I disagree, if a player jumps to catch the ball in defence they cant be tackled until they are on the ground. Therefor slater shouldnt be tackled when his foot is in that position or he will be balancing on one foot and even if his studs were to hit a player it would be with very minimal force because he will be off balance.
They can't be tackled, but if Slater's feet made contact with someone else's shoulders who didn't actually attempt to tackle him, then Slater could've seriously injured himself. Not bagging out Slater though, he couldn't tell if someone else was going to contest the ball. It's really one of those grey areas in our game.

Danish

Referee
I've got no problems with fullbacks and wingers raising their knees when trying to catch the high ball. It helps with catching and also offers some protection.

Naturally Slater takes it to the next level with his studs out approach, which is borderline on legal IMO as its gone past the level of self preservation and into the reckless category

Jose93

Juniors
I'm fairly sure many of you are mad. Here's a new rule for you health and safety lunatics - no player can jump and must always have one foot on the ground, even when they're just naturally running. (obviously both your feet leave the ground at the same point when you do that, how dangerous!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Here is a nice safe activity for you ..now f**k off to the ballet forum .
C_71_article_1092149_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

TheDalek079

Bench
i hate Slater as much as the next bloke, but really? sticking his feet out when he jumps? i have nothing wrong with that.

Mr Saab

Referee
i hate Slater as much as the next bloke, but really? sticking his feet out when he jumps? i have nothing wrong with that.

Agree. I cant stand the merkin, and he did win we some $$$ last night, but when he goes up for a bomb he can do what he likes.

Latest posts