What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Reason to hate Ricky Stuart

Being about the first game I watched the Sharks play this year, I was astounded to see the tactics the team was obviously coached to employ.

Namely:

Laying all over the tackled player.

and

Holding the defense away from the ball.

We got the penalty count 11-7, but Robinson never stamped his authortiy on the game, as they still held us down and off the ball, numerous times whilst getting away with it.

Worst offender was Stapleton, earning that most ridiculuous penalty for pulling PJ down, whereby he should have got 10 in the bin.

Instead of us getting a penalty on their try line - they end up scoring.

Replays were not conclusive over Fui being not being let go of in the scrum, when the Sharks scored their first try - but Cayless was blowing up royale, which made it a tad suspect.

Interestingly enough, when the Sharks were disallowed a try for a forward pass, I saw a Sharks player keep hold of Tim Smith after he kicked, effectively stopping him making the tackle that lead to the break.

And finally to add insult to injury, the Sharks first try of the second half came from a double penalty, starting with us being penalised for laying all over the tackled player?

I could have counted 10 incidents the Sharks got away with, whereby they spent longer on top of us.

If that is the best Stuart can do, is to teach his players to hold down and hold back continuously to overcome a weak referee's resolve then he is even more of a prick than I originally thought.

I can't effing believe it.

Stuart is whingeing about the ref:

"But instead of lauding his injury-ravaged side for breaking a horror seven-game losing streak and backing up from Monday's heartbreaking loss to Melbourne with an inspirational win, Stuart used his press conference to give the officials an almighty two-minute spray before storming out, refusing to answer any further questions.

"Look I'm really, really excited, really happy for the players. But that refereeing performance nearly cost us that win," Stuart began, after Parramatta won the penalty count 11-7."

I know we were the more lacklustre side etc etc. . . . but I do believe we were frustrated into attrition, with Ricky's spoiling tactics winning the night.

If the referee had shown more authority, they may never have got on top of us in this manner.

Again another reason I can't stand Stuart.

Utey

Coach
The play the ball was absolutely atrocious, as was his 10 meters. No wonder he doesn't ref much first grade.

BWNB

First Grade
It wasnt only you guys that got dud calls. we got penalised when you guys tried to offload. Anyway, good game the reffing has been absolutly pethetic all year. i wouldnt of expected more last night.

slippery nipeel

Juniors
We were not good tonight, but the Referreeing of Jason Robinson was deplorable at best. Poor decisions by him either directly or indirectly lead to Shark tries. Take the Stapleton second tackle/pull-down of PJ. It was right in front of the Ref and it cost us a real shot at a try; 6 tackles later they score up the other end!!

I cannot believe Stuart is blowing up and Hages is not.

For the life of me I don't know what Stuart is crapping on about the last two Eels tries coming from dud decisions.

If he thinks Tahu put a flop on the sharks player who knocked on, he has got to be kidding - the guy took a knock and wasn't effectively tackled.

I have absolutely no clue of anything proceeding Piggy's second try that was dubious.

Maybe someon can help me?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Just like the Roosters of 5 years ago, the 2007 Sharks are a pretty grubby team.

But there's two ways of looking at it - I more or less agree with Daley when he said "If you can get away with it it's smart play" or words to that effect.

The Sharks figured the ref out and pushed the boundaries of what he would allow. They played the conditions (including the ref) better than us.

And he did make some shocking calls against both sides. No wonder both teams looked frustrated.

The Sharks did get penalised for one of our guys trying to offload (I think it might've been Cannings) and once Robinson called line dropout against the Sharks despite Ben Smith knocking the ball on to Covell's boot.

There were countless bad calls against us too.

I think we should just write the game off and move on to next week.

Parra Guru

Coach
BlacK_WhitE_N_BluE said:
It wasnt only you guys that got dud calls. we got penalised when you guys tried to offload. Anyway, good game the reffing has been absolutly pethetic all year. i wouldnt of expected more last night.

I agree. You guys got penalised at least 3-4 times for stripping. Regardless of whether the penalties were correct or not... If he was going to keep calling it up, why didn't he send someone to the bin?

redeel

Juniors
worst decision of the year to penalise peej for being pulled over the line ,ref on the spot cant see that,what are they being payed for.at least he gave a few tries without continually refereing to the vid ref

Parra Guru

Coach
to be fair, PJ holds on to the defenders more often than they hold onto him.

He probably deserved that one

PJ is a niggler.

However, replays for mine suggested Stapleton pulled him down in this instance.

Stapleton was the worst offender for laying all over the player and interfering with the play the ball.

Kornstar

Coach
I thought the funniest decision of the game was when he gave the Sharks those back to back penalties that lead to a try in the second half, we were attacking them just before it and the Sharks were off-side for the whole set, then we turn the ball over and give a away a dumb penalty THEN when he gave them the second penalty he got us for being off-side.....talk about ridiculous refereeing, it was the worst performance i have seen for a long time.......just when i think they can't get worse.....they prove me wrong!!!!

The Eels were also bad......imo if Manly or Melbourne don't win the GF this year it is a damn shame because noone else deserves to be in the GF.......and i hate both Melbourne and Manly with a passion!!!!!

bradeel

Juniors
the sharks ruined any chance of last night's game being a decent spectacle by coming out with the sole intention of slowing the play the ball to a standstill. Sure the got penalised for it, but they did their job frustrating the hell out of our attack and players should have been binnedno doubt in my mind. For Stuart to be complaining about the refereeing is absurd. His team got away with murder. Good luck to them, but one of the reasons we were so flat was because we were given no room to move whatsoever and it wasn't entirely legal play.

Kornstar said:
I thought the funniest decision of the game was when he gave the Sharks those back to back penalties that lead to a try in the second half, we were attacking them just before it and the Sharks were off-side for the whole set

That pissed me off the most.

They lay all over us, got penalised sometimes, got away with it most times (no doubt a sinbinning would have put an end to it).

We pull slowly off a tackle and get pinged, when so many of the hold downs the Sharks got away with were far worse than the one we were penalised for.

Dutchy

Immortal
bradeel said:
the sharks ruined any chance of last night's game being a decent spectacle by coming out with the sole intention of slowing the play the ball to a standstill. Sure the got penalised for it, but they did their job frustrating the hell out of our attack and players should have been binnedno doubt in my mind. For Stuart to be complaining about the refereeing is absurd. His team got away with murder. Good luck to them, but one of the reasons we were so flat was because we were given no room to move whatsoever and it wasn't entirely legal play.

That method has worked well for the Storm the last 3 years. Sharks learnt something last week.

Hellsy

Immortal
PJ Marsh needs to stop trying to get penalties when people tackle him, he niggles and niggles and you can constantly hear the refs on sports ears telling him to get up and that he wont get away with it..... maybe if he just played the ball he wouldn't get penalised for milking it

CrazyEel

Bench
Hellsy said:
PJ Marsh needs to stop trying to get penalties when people tackle him, he niggles and niggles and you can constantly hear the refs on sports ears telling him to get up and that he wont get away with it..... maybe if he just played the ball he wouldn't get penalised for milking it
Very true!

Latest posts