What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Season Failure

beekershark

Bench
sydneysharkbrisbane68 said:
Yes the season is over and yes yet another failure since 1967, we have yet to have a successful year, sucess is the amount of titles you have yes we have 0, the season was pathetic, we have 1 of our last 6, that is disgraceful, we did have Kimmorley out but other teams have had stars out as well.

Our next season buys leave us with more of the same, i counted the amount of State Of Origin matches or tests, that our new signings have played the total 0.

We should never make a excuse of a loss, or say we will go better next season, this season should have been it, the players we had had played enough first grade, look at Panthers last year, at start of year 2 maybe 4 had played rep at end of year they win title, us this year 4 wins at home, I hopesomeones head goes after this farce, and if one person in power at the club says it was a rebuidling year, all gate monies should be refunded, as then I would not go and watch a team in rebuilding year.

Time we actually stood up and be counted, sick of us been laughing stock of league, bloody sick of it.

Its time for a new era something must be done and done now

you were wrong after the first 5 words mate, and I stopped reading after that.

Our defence and lack of discipline cost us. Gave away far too many silly penalties, as we have done all this season, and can't seem to tackle for peanuts.

Still, all is not lost. We're a remote technical chance of making the eight. Everyone needs to cheer the Tigers today and for the Bunnies to upset Canberra next weekend. Oh yeah, and we'll have to beat the Cowboys of course. Our away form has been very good, so I'm confident that we can do that part of the equation.

One thing that comes from being a Sharks' supporter is that I am an eternal optimist. A bit like the Queenslanders waiting for their Sheffield Shield (I refuse to call it the Pura Cup) side to win a title. I hope it doesn't take us 64 years to win our first one but I'm sure that when we do it will open the floodgates.

Even if we don't make the finals this year, we can at least barrack for any side that plays against the Dragqueens.

Generalzod

Immortal
Yes the season is over and yes yet another failure since 1967, we have yet to have a successful year, sucess is the amount of titles you have yes we have 0, the season was pathetic, we have 1 of our last 6, that is disgraceful, we did have Kimmorley out but other teams have had stars out as well.

Our next season buys leave us with more of the same, i counted the amount of State Of Origin matches or tests, that our new signings have played the total 0.

We should never make a excuse of a loss, or say we will go better next season, this season should have been it, the players we had had played enough first grade, look at Panthers last year, at start of year 2 maybe 4 had played rep at end of year they win title, us this year 4 wins at home, I hopesomeones head goes after this farce, and if one person in power at the club says it was a rebuidling year, all gate monies should be refunded, as then I would not go and watch a team in rebuilding year.

Time we actually stood up and be counted, sick of us been laughing stock of league, bloody sick of it.

Its time for a new era something must be done and done now

I totally agree with you, for an important game that it was last night the Sharks were absolutely crap.

Feej

First Grade
beekershark said:
Yes the season is over

you were wrong after the first 5 words mate, and I stopped reading after that.

Wrong as in there is one round to go or wrong as we are next to no chance of making the playoffs?

He is absolutely correct in the fact that we are next to no chance.

But then what do I know, I guess I'm not a "true" supporter like you. :roll:

Quint

Juniors
I guess what this whole thread comes down to is that there are a lot of dissappointed sharkies fans out there at the moment.
But it seems as of old that alot of them are quite happy to be close to a win rather THAN a win.
It's good to have a positive attitude but that only gets you so far,
And for the fans who say 'Theres always next year' Well I hope the team don't see it that way because if thats there attitude then what drive do they have for each current season
BK: Jeez Peach there goes another one :roll:
Peach : Yeah Noddy,but theres always next year :)

Article from SMH

Red mist falls but Sharks see the light
By Brad Walter
August 29, 2004 - 12:44AM
The Sun-Herald

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
Storm 36 Sharks 28

Cronulla coach Stuart Raper and his players last night refused to concede their season was over after crashing to Melbourne in an ill-tempered affair at Toyota Park.

Guaranteed of eighth position heading into the final round if they had won, the Sharks must now rely on Wests Tigers beating North Queensland today and then beat the Cowboys themselves next weekend - but are still in danger of missing out after being leapfrogged by Canberra on for-and-against.

To make matters worse, Cronulla centres Ryan McGoldrick and Nigel Vagana were placed on report as frustrations boiled over in a match that finished with Sharks prop Jason Stevens, winger Matthew Rieck and the Storm's Matt King in the sin-bin.

Referee Tim Mander, who endured a running battle with Cronulla captain Brett Kimmorley for much of the former Test halfback's return from a 13-week injury lay-off, at one stage told McGoldrick he was "a bit stressed out".

"I think Brett was trying to quell some fires and I think the players probably took it upon themselves," Raper said.

Advertisement
Advertisement
"I think we probably showed a lack of discipline, but more out of frustration, I would say, because there was a lot on this game for the club and the players and they knew that.

"That's why I think the frustration was there, because they were disappointed, maybe, with the calls and things that were happening that were going against us.

"I think the whole emotion just got to us and that probably led to a bit of ill discipline."

Yet after overcoming a horror start to lead 12-8 midway through the first half, the Sharks were their own worst enemies as they turned over the ball and fell off tackles to let Melbourne back into the game.

According to the half-time statistics, Cronulla had just 12 sets of possession to the Storm's 22 and accordingly trailed 26-14 at the break.

"As frustrating as it could have been, we had plenty to play for, we were pretty desperate but we got off to a bad start and when you're down you stay down," Kimmorley said.

But the Sharks camp was still clinging to the slim hope that if they can improve their form enough next Saturday night to win in Townsville, they could still make the finals.

"I think there can still be a chance, we've got to beat North Queensland and where there's hope you still keep paddling," Raper said.

"Melbourne probably lifted the intensity tonight towards semi-final footy and we probably didn't do that consistently enough throughout the game - we've got to be able to do that to beat North Queensland."

With Rieck scoring four minutes into the second half, the game was in the balance almost until full-time but the Sharks paid heavily for back-to-back penalties against McGoldrick for an off-the-ball tackle on David Kidwell and a Vagana high shot that led to a 54th minute try by Steve Bell.

Kimmorley capped his comeback with a 68th minute try but when Mander sent Stevens and King to the sin-bin seven minutes later over a minor scuffle and Rieck joined them for calling the decision "a f...ing joke", the game was out of their reach.

"It's not in our owns hands . . . but I think we can still make it if other results go our way," said Stevens, who refused to discuss his sin-binning.

DJDL

Bench
I have to say, of the disappointements we've all endured over the last couple of seasons, the last 2 matches have been the biggest of all, in my book.
So much to play for, and yet they came up well short on both occasions.

We all know what they are CAPABLE of producing - as seen against the Rooters and Broncos. They just aren't doing it consistently enough.

Last night's game left me really confused about how to feel though. On one hand I was bitterly disappointed in the result, but on the other remarkably proud of the fact they stayed so close to the Storm with absolutely F.All possession.

The result may have been the death knell on this season, but I am not slashing my wrists over our prospects for the future.

Cries here of "why don't we ever buy superstars?" and "we only ever sign unknowns" show a lack of understanding of what makes a team.

If I can draw a parallel with my beloved Arsenal, and Chelsea, Arsenal never go out and spend ridiculous money on "big name" players. Thierry Henry, Viera etc. were all virtually unknown when signed. But they have built the team around these players by adding promising youngsters each season. Cesc Fabregas being one of the latest additions.

Chelsea, on the other hand, went out last year and spent over GBP100 million on "superstars". They've spent another GBP70 mio this year.

Now if you've watched the performances of either of those sides this year, you would have to concede Chelsea, for all their spending, look a long way short of Arsenal. And the difference is, the Arsenal guys are like a family. They all WANT to play for EACH OTHER. You can see it in their celebrations after scoring. Money cannnot buy that.

Back to The Sharks. We have a very good CORE of players around which to build a succesful side. We just have quite a few holes which need plugging.
The names of the young guys we have recruited may not mean much to you now. But give it 12 months and I'm sure there'll be a few who become household names.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
We need to bu players who can win us a comp, and get rid of the deadwood, lets start, cut Isemonger he is a local junior, but he never threatens, I watch him game in and game out he does nothing.

McGoldrick after tonite, I need no more reasons.

Why didnt we buy Brent Kite, young player who has played SOO.

Why Dykes never one has anything here at first visit why will he homecoming be any different, same as Mellor.

De Vere whould have been better option, at least he can tackle, which is unusual for our centres, but just maybe he would help, as you can see tonites match has pused me to the edge of sanity, but then i ponder i do follow the sharks maybe i am already insane, the older saying is there is not much difference been sane and insane just to letters

Heres a thought 68.
Send down 1.5 mill to the club for it to use to strengthen our player & power base under conditions they sign & cut who you want.
I find your comments stupid. Actually beyond stupidity.
You carry on like we have the money of the Roosters & the player depth of a merged entitiy like Illawarra.
We are neither.

I dont think its an issue of us needing to buy players for talent, although I think we have got some ok players for next year eg Dykes. The talent is here, simple. We have seen how good we can be against Roosters and Bronco's next year and the basic fomrula for the success in these two games - DEFENCE. We constantly put on lots of points, as we are a great attacking side, but you notice significantly when we win those big games that our defence stood up. As long as the boys work very hard in the offseason on defence, which is something which CAN be worked on, next year will be a prosperous year with a hopefully, more consistent effort defensively.

steveshark

----
Spot on Eskimo - Defence and discipline(more so the lack there of) were our Achilles Heel again this year. Yes I'm a frustrated and out of pocket Shark Supporter, but I'll be back. Hopefully Dykes & Mellor can help instill the defence & discipline ethic that John Lang was successful with during his time with the Sharks. My rating for the season 6.5.

Dorsel said:
just watched the game down at the pub with Danny Lee....."keep the faith" he said after full time with his big smile :)).....and I will.....u can't change teams can you??.....there are some things in life u just can't change.....we're all just stuck with it aren't we?? :)

Yep, following the Sharks is like an incurable disease. It is mostly painful, with occassional outbreaks of insane joy. I can't be cured, I know its bad for my heart and mental health, but I keep coming back for more each week.

fatshark

Bench
I know people who are sixk of it as weel. 6 years membership, treated like pooh, never receive the magazines or ANYTHING. They wont be attending next year.

Latest posts