What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Griffin Extended Contract

denis preston

First Grade
No I am not going off early in this one. But, once again, no need to extend a coach being schooled by a coach in his debut season. That is one major aspect of what is happening here tonight.
You're angry I understand , so you need someone to blame. After 3 games don't you think a bit premature ?

Dragon David

First Grade
The re-signing was premature. Do you not think?
A quote from Foxsports -

"Dragons coach Anthony Griffin had his contract controversially extended over the summer despite a poor 2021 season.

Griffin was re-signed until the end of 2023 before a ball was kicked this year and despite a Round 1 win against the Warriors, the decision looks like it’s going to prove costly.

St George have only won two of their past 12 games and both were against the Warriors, while five of the 10 losses have been by more than 17 points.

Griffin’s 200th game as an NRL coach proved a shocker on Thursday night, with the Sharks making nine linebreaks to two as no Dragons forward ran from 100 metres.

“That is the toughest game we have had this year,” Griffin said after the match.

“At crucial times tonight, in simple areas like in transition and things like kick chase, staying alive on last play, turning up in defence, we weren’t there tonight,” Griffin said.

“You have got to give Cronulla some credit, they were outstanding.

“We are obviously a lot better than that but we were poor tonight.”

Cronulla have won six of their past seven games against the Dragons - and four straight against the Red V for the first time since 2008.

Sharks coach Craig Fitzgibbon knocked back the Dragons in 2020 and Thursday night proved just how costly that might be for the club."

This should be the talking point of many of us. "Too early to sign" - sure was. Excluding the trial games, as the article says, we have only won 2 games in the past 12 games and they were against the Warriors.

In fact, I think that the full coaching staff, including the KOE Cup coach, need to be read the riot act. Poor attack, poor defence do not win matches. Also, recruitment for 2023 must include game breakers and ball players who know how to win games just not go through the motions.

thebigredv

First Grade
A quote from Foxsports -

"Dragons coach Anthony Griffin had his contract controversially extended over the summer despite a poor 2021 season.

Griffin was re-signed until the end of 2023 before a ball was kicked this year and despite a Round 1 win against the Warriors, the decision looks like it’s going to prove costly.

St George have only won two of their past 12 games and both were against the Warriors, while five of the 10 losses have been by more than 17 points.

Griffin’s 200th game as an NRL coach proved a shocker on Thursday night, with the Sharks making nine linebreaks to two as no Dragons forward ran from 100 metres.

“That is the toughest game we have had this year,” Griffin said after the match.

“At crucial times tonight, in simple areas like in transition and things like kick chase, staying alive on last play, turning up in defence, we weren’t there tonight,” Griffin said.

Cronulla have won six of their past seven games against the Dragons - and four straight against the Red V for the first time since 2008.

Sharks coach Craig Fitzgibbon knocked back the Dragons in 2020 and Thursday night proved just how costly that might be for the club."

This should be the talking point of many of us. "Too early to sign" - sure was. Excluding the trial games, as the article says, we have only won 2 games in the past 12 games and they were against the Warriors.

In fact, I think that the full coaching staff, including the KOE Cup coach, need to be read the riot act. Poor attack, poor defence do not win matches. Also, recruitment for 2023 must include game breakers and ball players who know how to win games just not go through the motions.

I have actually withheld from bagging Griffin aside for his continual love affair with Norman and McCulloch. Gave him his one year grace. The club has to take the blame for choosing the coach but the buck has to stop with him when the results keep repeating* in regards to player performance. No, I don't believe we have a roster as good as some on here say we do but again, isn't that on the coach?

*please see the Mary saga of 2014-2020

The facts are Griffin:

- has an abysmal win rate with us thus far (what it all boils down to)
- can't get us up for a local derby, said it himself "we weren't there tonight" and Hunt admitted the team dropped threw in the towel
- got schooled by a debutant coach, again
- can't land the players we need even if he can identify them
- completely looks defeated in a loss match presser, did you gain any confidence from what he remarked this evening?
- and his coaching staff, have had no effect of curbing the tackling techniques of Fuimaono, Sua and McGuire which have and look set to cost us dearly. Talk about dumb and unprofessional.

His strong hand -Sloane, Amone and Ramsey - look out all out at sea at the moment. That's a real downer. Is he managing them correctly?

I am well aware there are two tiers of coach in this comp. The elite and the also-rans. If Griffin wasn't extended the chances of us getting an elite coach look slim to none in any case. So by all means, let it play on but everyone need s to lower their expectations because this is a poorly constructed and coached team. We've all known it for some time but a lot of supporters are stuck in denial and wishful thinking, hoping for a miracle that never comes.

denis preston

First Grade
A quote from Foxsports -

I thought you signed off for the year last night ?

Dragon David

First Grade
I thought you signed off for the year last night ?
I still cannot resist Denis, it's in my blood just as nicotine was - got rid of that 12 years ago thank goodness but cannot get rid of my beloved Dragons. The emotional me was talking last night.

We will survive but we have to be more committed and do things better to achieve the results the club has been trying to attain for the past 12 years.

Good to see that someone remembered my post.

redv13

Bench
I still cannot resist Denis, it's in my blood just as nicotine was - got rid of that 12 years ago thank goodness but cannot get rid of my beloved Dragons. The emotional me was talking last night.

We will survive but we have to be more committed and do things better to achieve the results the club has been trying to attain for the past 12 years.

Hang in there DD. Annoys me how people on here jerk the gherkin 1 week then reach for the razor blades the next. Gotta stick solid. Shit weather, poor performance in the end but if Hunt and Ravalawa both score in the 1st half I think you find the result may have been way different

denis preston

First Grade

Yes mate its in our DNA for sure. Still think we are in better hands rather than the mcwrecker years.

Dragon David

First Grade
Well, from memory did we even make an offer to Nicho Hynes?
I don't think we did. We had/have Hunt and Amone. Hynes wasn't in our budget I think. But a player of Hynes calibre is certainly needed if only we are tough enough to get rid of players that cannot cut the mustard. We have generally had many players with utmost potential in the past but when they hit first grade there is that big difference and they flounder. That is what is happening to the likes of Amone and Sloan. They were great same as Sullivan in winning the SG Ball in 2019 - big difference to first grade I'm sorry to say.

In a few games, Hunt has shone but not enough. He and Amone are not combining at all meaning a massive drop in confidence. Amone was against Moylan who has had a wealth of experience over him. I think even Jai Field would be better than him.

Dragon David

First Grade
I don't think we did. We had/have Hunt and Amone. Hynes wasn't in our budget I think. But a player of Hynes calibre is certainly needed if only we are tough enough to get rid of players that cannot cut the mustard. We have generally had many players with utmost potential in the past but when they hit first grade there is that big difference and they flounder. That is what is happening to the likes of Amone and Sloan. They were great same as Sullivan in winning the SG Ball in 2019 - big difference to first grade I'm sorry to say.

In a few games, Hunt has shone but not enough. He and Amone are not combining at all meaning a massive drop in confidence. Amone was against Moylan who has had a wealth of experience over him. I think even Jai Field would be better than him.
I stand corrected. Members on this forum have said that we went for him but lost out. Finucane and Fitzy would have been involved in helping the Sharks get him. Too bad!

SAP58

Juniors
I still have trust in Hook to get us back to a brand of football we all want the mighty Red V to play. However I think he needs better assistants to achieve that goal. Yes his assistants are chosen by him but he is restrained by how much he can pay these assistants and that is up to the club within budget constraints. Like coaches the better assistants command a higher price so is he being restricted due to what the club is prepared to pay ?

Peter Gentle as far as I was aware was the defensive coach last year and our defence was definately below par. I am not sure if that is his role again this year but if so it is still not up to the standard required. I would like to see a better transparency from the club as to what roles each assistant coach plays.

Dragon David

First Grade
I still have trust in Hook to get us back to a brand of football we all want the mighty Red V to play. However I think he needs better assistants to achieve that goal. Yes his assistants are chosen by him but he is restrained by how much he can pay these assistants and that is up to the club within budget constraints. Like coaches the better assistants command a higher price so is he being restricted due to what the club is prepared to pay ?

Peter Gentle as far as I was aware was the defensive coach last year and our defence was definately below par. I am not sure if that is his role again this year but if so it is still not up to the standard required. I would like to see a better transparency from the club as to what roles each assistant coach plays.
I've managed to find something in Zero Tackle on the coaching staff at the Dragons for 2022.

Peter Gentle doesn't appear in the statement given by the club. Matt Head is an assistant - unsure if it is for defence or attack. Matt Elliot not an assistant as well.

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
I have actually withheld from bagging Griffin aside for his continual love affair with Norman and McCulloch. Gave him his one year grace. The club has to take the blame for choosing the coach but the buck has to stop with him when the results keep repeating* in regards to player performance. No, I don't believe we have a roster as good as some on here say we do but again, isn't that on the coach?

*please see the Mary saga of 2014-2020

The facts are Griffin:

- has an abysmal win rate with us thus far (what it all boils down to)
- can't get us up for a local derby, said it himself "we weren't there tonight" and Hunt admitted the team dropped threw in the towel
- got schooled by a debutant coach, again
- can't land the players we need even if he can identify them
- completely looks defeated in a loss match presser, did you gain any confidence from what he remarked this evening?
- and his coaching staff, have had no effect of curbing the tackling techniques of Fuimaono, Sua and McGuire which have and look set to cost us dearly. Talk about dumb and unprofessional.

His strong hand -Sloane, Amone and Ramsey - look out all out at sea at the moment. That's a real downer. Is he managing them correctly?

I am well aware there are two tiers of coach in this comp. The elite and the also-rans. If Griffin wasn't extended the chances of us getting an elite coach look slim to none in any case. So by all means, let it play on but everyone need s to lower their expectations because this is a poorly constructed and coached team. We've all known it for some time but a lot of supporters are stuck in denial and wishful thinking, hoping for a miracle that never comes.
how many games have you coached

BBTB

Juniors

Jail Field, yes that's right, looked so good, until he moved up the ladder towards 1st grade, & the big boys. Why are all our outstanding juniors so f...king small.?

SAP58

Juniors
I've managed to find something in Zero Tackle on the coaching staff at the Dragons for 2022.

Peter Gentle doesn't appear in the statement given by the club. Matt Head is an assistant - unsure if it is for defence or attack. Matt Elliot not an assistant as well.

This is from the Dragons website, it says he is still an assistant coach but doesnt say what his role is ??

FlameThrower

Bench
Starting to lose faith in Hook and Co. While it’s not time yet to start burning jerseys- we have a huge mountain to climb with Eels, Roosters, Storm and South’s - all in next few weeks. This will test the team and I can’t see any wins for a long time. The chances of a top8 finish are very slim if not impossible now. Media will start piling on pressure on him and our team is not very resilient at the best of times. I foresee a lot of hands on hips and blank faces behind the posts ….