What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Griffin signs new deal

ThePearl

Juniors
You only need to come down to one of the training sessions to see that. Thats why I was very surprised to see Thaiday made captain.

Griffin's arrogance will be his downfall. Our roster is overrated, yet he doesn't want to recruit. The problem with this is do we have great juniors coming through? I seen the Toyota Cup team played a couple of times this year. They were all pretty average to be honest, that's putting it nicely. There isn't anything special in the Broncos affiliated Queensland Cup teams either.

I didn't care if we didn't make the top 8 at the start of the year. All I wanted was to take some positives from the season. There are no positives to take from this season. Our 1,6,7, and 9 all have question marks over them. It has been a wasted year. I just don't think Griffin is the man to take us forward. Griffin was just lucky last season we had the great Lockyer to steer the ship.

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
Another thing that bugs me is when we rested our "stars" during the origin period. No other clubs does that. It's jut a cop out really. How are these "stars" playing at the moment? I thought the plan was that our star players will be fresh towards the end of the season. This was just another dud move by Griffin.

Hodges is lucky to back up after 5 days let alone 2 days after Origin, also Thaiday needs surgery at the end of the season and also struggles to back up. It was not a dud move it was a very smart option. How has not resting stars gone in the past. It has led to injuries to key players as well as fatigue which catches up with the players later in the season.

ThePearl

Juniors
Hodges is lucky to back up after 5 days let alone 2 days after Origin, also Thaiday needs surgery at the end of the season and also struggles to back up. It was not a dud move it was a very smart option. How has not resting stars gone in the past. It has led to injuries to key players as well as fatigue which catches up with the players later in the season.

Hodges and Thaiday two of our most experienced players yet two of most laziest. If Hodges and Thaiday had the same injury as Glenn did, they wouldn't have played last night and would have be gone for the season.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Thaiday needs surgery at the end of the season and also struggles to back up.

Is Thaiday the only NRL player needing surgery at the end of the season?

Sorry guys but Pearl has a point (this time at least). The whole idea of resting them is so they would be fresh at the end of the season. Thaiday is far from fresh. Hodges is looking good but still managed to pick up a hamstring injury after origin and we missed him dearly for a couple of weeks.

And why is it that only Broncos players are "physically unable" to back-up after origin? That just seems so implausible to me.

And I agree with the point about our spine too. One goal for the season would surely have been to make sure we get the spine sorted out. But imo, we have gone backwards in that respect. I think the only one remotely close to maintaining their position is McCullough.

This is the team that Hook wanted. He didn't want to look elsewhere. So, as much as I like the guy as a person, the sword for this season has to fall with him unfortunately.

Big Pete

Referee
A player by the name of Paul Gallen practically didn't play any NRL during the Origin season, Brisbane aren't the only side who had to rest players but unfortunately we were the only side who had players carrying two severe injuries (Hodges pretty much has a busted everything, Thaiday groin + shoulder).

Hook has another season to set things straight.

ThePearl

Juniors
I hate to say it but Griffin is no different to Henjak. At least Henjak could come up with some set plays.
Even in the under 20s, Griffin didnt need to come up with attacking plays as the defense was so poor.
Listening to the press conference, Griffin was praising Manly's defense. I'm sorry, but we threw absolutely nothing at them!

Big Pete

Referee
Can take anything said during the press conference with a grain of salt.

Obviously the attack is an area he needs to work on however he's nothing like Henjak. If he was, we'd be seeing more performances like the one we had against Parramatta.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
One thing that Griffin has that Henjak doesn't is respect from the players. That is pretty important to have.

The Broncos aren't giving up in games (at least the last 3). I just don't believe we have the cattle to win them.

ThePearl

Juniors
Griffin's game plan is based on defense. I have not seen as many miss tackles this year from the likes of Hodges, Reed, Glenn, Gillett. The players are obviously not responding.
How much better would our team look with someone like Bellamy as the coach?

ThePearl

Juniors
Just finished watching the Cowboys and Knights game. Dane Gagai played a couple games for us last year. He was in everything tonight. Did the Broncos do everything possible to keep him on straight and narrow? I have never seen Bennett, Hasler or Bellamy sack a promising junior because they were constantly late to training. So we god rid of Beale, Te'o, and Gagai. Who have we sign to replace these blokes?

AceAv

Juniors
Pearl that's a pretty silly question. -But let me enlighten you with our promising up and comers:

G. Sweet -2 Years $390k (A Cameron Smith like player from Dubbo to bench McCollough)
M. F'arch - 3 Years $500l (a promising no.6 from nz)
L. All - 1 Year 225k "fill this space"

All very promising to bolster our 2013 team...

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Pearl that's a pretty silly question. -But let me enlighten you with our promising up and comers:

G. Sweet -2 Years $390k (A Cameron Smith like player from Dubbo to bench McCollough)

Ahhh yes... that does look very promising :lol:

However, we might need to cut a couple more players loose to fit those guys under our cap :p

Jason Simmons

Juniors

I hope do, though the lack of any NRL experience there is a concern.

Still I wonder where the money for these guys came from, given according to Andrew Gee, we don't have any room under the salary cap to chase players...

ThePearl

Juniors
Would players from other clubs want to come here and play under Grffin? I highly doubt it. Maybe we just can't attract players and need to pay overs to keep players.

broncos2010

Juniors
I find it weird with some things grifo has done last couple weeks.

Like on the weekend both parker and thaiday were of the field at the same time.
Like our 2 best 2nd rowers?

Latest posts