What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ANYONE against signing Gallant

chopsy_05

Juniors
I'd love him to stay but I think the tiges have definately got their heart and hopes on Lazarus. Gallant has marketing value too with the mighty mouse thing. Definately worth a contract

Joe's Magpies

Juniors
From NRL.com.au

It has been a miserable week for injured Wests Tigers fullback Shannon ‘Mighty Mouse’ Gallant but he can rest easy today after the club last night threw him an NRL lifeline.

The 23-year-old, currently on a base contract of only $20,000, is set to sign a new one-year-deal this week – just days after a badly broken leg threatened to derail his career.

Gallant’s manager, Martin Tauber, will contact his client today to go over the terms of the Tigers’ offer but they are expected to accept the deal within days.

“I haven’t spoken to Shannon yet – I think he has gone home to Newcastle because he has been given the week off – but I would say that we will accept the offer,” Tauber told NRL.com.

“There was some concern about the opportunities that might come up from other clubs.

“There was one other club that was interested but they will pull the pin now because he will be out for six weeks and nobody knows the result of the injury.

“But this will secure his future.

“He is a good footballer and he deserves his opportunity.”

The Tigers have offered a one-year deal with an option in their favour for 2011 and 2012 having yesterday revised their initial proposal.

Tigers recruitment manager Warren McDonnell called Tauber last night after the club had initially feared they may not be able to offer Gallant enough to stop him from quitting the NRL and joining the police force.

“It was something we were going to talk about earlier this week but unfortunately Shannon was hurt on the weekend so that slowed things up a bit,” Wests Tigers’ chief executive Stephen Humphries said.
“It’s been tough for him and the fact is that he is a player on the fringe of our cap.

“But we’ve certainly given Shannon the best that we can offer which is better than he has had.

“We’re hopeful that it will be finalised.”

It is believed that one sticking point has been whether Gallant accepts a flat salary or a lesser deal with incentives for playing first grade – a deal similar to the one he is on this season.

“If he plays consistent first grade he can get a decent earn,” Humphries said.

“There are a few different ways that we could structure the arrangement and we’re open to that.

“It depends what balance he wants to strike there.”

While Gallant is yet to be considered a certain starter for the Tigers when fit, the leg injury he sustained during last Sunday’s 17-10 win over the Roosters has thrown the club’s plans for a last-minute surge to the finals into disarray.

Having finally struck a balance in the halves with Tim Moltzen at halfback, Gallant’s absence has forced coach Tim Sheens into a drastic reshuffle with Moltzen returning to fullback and rookie Robert Lui making his NRL debut in the no.7 jersey for this weekend’s clash with Cronulla.

Tauber said the Tigers’ problems were evidence of Gallant’s importance to the side this season.

“I know they say his height and stature go against him but he has proven that he has the heart of Richard the Lionheart,” he said.

Humphries said it was unlikely that the Tigers would look elsewhere to finalise their squad for 2010.

“Our focus is really to retain what we think is a pretty good team at the moment,” he said.

“We’ve got a couple of players (John Morris, Dean Collis and Pene Tagive) moving on so it’s just a few players in our top tier and one or two in our second tier that we’re playing with at the moment

TimmyB

Juniors
Glad to see we did the decent thing and kept the offer on the table despite his injury. I'd be ashamed if he put in like he has and we refused to put forward a contract due to his injury.

nyx

Juniors
Good to hear that about Gallant.

Humphries said it was unlikely that the Tigers would look elsewhere to finalise their squad for 2010.

“Our focus is really to retain what we think is a pretty good team at the moment,” he said.

“We’ve got a couple of players (John Morris, Dean Collis and Pene Tagive) moving on so it’s just a few players in our top tier and one or two in our second tier that we’re playing with at the moment

So much for "signing one Rep player a year" :lol:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
thats great news, i hope he's earning a lot closer to 100k than what he's currently on.

If he has a full injury free season next year, his contract price will most likely double for 2011

AussieSmithy

Juniors
thats great news, i hope he's earning a lot closer to 100k than what he's currently on.

If he has a full injury free season next year, his contract price will most likely double for 2011

In Tigers fashion that'll be $80K when we renew him again. He's on $20K so offer him $40K. Once he finishes that, try and get him for $80K...

But, I just had a thought. We only really like signing injury prone players (such as Head) so maybe we only thought about signing him after he got injured and proved he had real injury possibilities! :lol: Before that, he was too injury-free!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
he'll have been given 70k minimum i reckon. He'd be able to clear 40k with the pigs.

stbill

Juniors
You guys don't want Benji and Arana in the halves, it would be disaster, and apart from farah you will have no direction, with these guys as your halves you might blow some teams that don't turn up by 50, but when it comes down to the crunch and Farah has made 40 odd tackles in a game, and you need your half to direct the team, then use will all see what i'm talking about.

macnaz

Staff member
Great news. I wonder which deal he wil take, the outright package or the incentive deal.... Hmmm hard one to choose because he would have no guarantee how many games he is likely to get.. Either way he is still a tiger(maggie) and im glad the club has done the right thing for a deserving player :)

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Glad we've resigned him.

My grip is, why the flying f**k did we sign Mitch Brown and Geoff Daniela? Tame Tupou was worth a punt on as he cost next to nothing and will be a bargain if he stays fit and healthy. But the other two, why waste the money? We could have spent that money on a prop.

Fullback and halfback are wide open next season.

Mascot Tiger

Juniors
Mitch Brown may be one of the most clueless players currently in the NRL, taking away his size i honestly believe he can not bring anything to the club and the tigers team. When i found out we signed him i felt nothing but anger the guy is hopeless and i cant believe that he is actually playing in the NRL. I hope he makes me eat my words next year i really do but he is so pathetic.

Parra Future

Juniors
Mitch Brown may be one of the most clueless players currently in the NRL, taking away his size i honestly believe he can not bring anything to the club and the tigers team. When i found out we signed him i felt nothing but anger the guy is hopeless and i cant believe that he is actually playing in the NRL. I hope he makes me eat my words next year i really do but he is so pathetic.

Own up Mascot Tiger. You want McDonnell back don't you. :D

Mascot Tiger

Juniors
Parra Future you are nothing short of a jibberer. When you support a real team only then will i even acknowledge you. Last time i checked parra's future looked bleak? :lol:

blackandwhite

Juniors
Talented local footballer Billy Kitt is looking at a bright future in Rugby League, signing a three year contract with the NRL Club West Tigers.

15 year old Billy was pursued by a number of NRL Clubs, but was recruited by the West Tigers in a contract which also includes a two year boarding scholarship at St Gregory's College at Campbelltown.

Wow they both get $20,000 one hasn't even made Harold Matt's and the other one has played NRL.

:? But its OK we have Mitch Brown and Geoff Daniela.

Gallant has heart and he plays like he wants to win.
Bloody hell Mitch Brown and Geoff Daniela I can't get over that.
Why didn't we just go for the trifecta and sign Tony Williams as well!

Latest posts