What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone Brave enough to call the Grand Final teams yet ?

Prodigiousman

Juniors
I feel that only Melbourne or the Tigers are capable of the level of football that will win the competition so they are my pick.

However given the way the McIntyre works I can't be sure they can actually line up in the Grand Final.

I just can't see Manly being able to beat Melbourne with the Storm's strength being their slow down of the play the ball and nullifying the opposition forwards (which is Manly's strength).

Everyone might want to write off the Tigers after they got beat by a Titans team that had to win that game and had their best players back. The Tigers didn't have Hodgson, Whatuira and Payten - that's 3 big omissions from the team that will take the park in September.

I believe the Tigers are the only team that can really worry Melbourne at full strength - the way they move the ball is so much crisper than the Sharks did last night and look at the worries the Storm had out wide when the Sharks moved it across the field.

To put it another way - the Tigers best football is better than the best of every other team in the comp in my opinion, and the Storm are easily 2nd but there's a big drop off to 3rd and 4th. Come September you need your A Game - and if the Tigers bring it - I can't see any pretenders standing in their way until they meet the Storm - which hopefully will be in the Grand Final.

Why the other pretenders can't win:
Eels - Tim Smith can't sustain good form over a month of football.
Bulldogs - Unless Mason, Williams, O'Meley and Tonga are fully fit they don't have the depth to contend and even then i'm not sure they're capable of the football needed to win this year.
Warriors - Big question marks over Rovelli and Witt as a premiership level combination - both good players on their day but you don't win comps without a quality playmaker who can step it up in the big games.
Cowboys - Can't tackle on a good day let alone a bad one. No O'Donnell or Tronc puts incredible strain on their forward rotation and Bowen/Thurston cannot do it all for 4 straight weeks.
Broncos - wrote them off when Lockyer got hurt, just too big an obstacle for any team to overcome.

The Tank

Bench
I'm hoping Melbourne win it but I have a feeling that the GF will be either Bulldogs-Eels or Warriors-Eels.

dio

Juniors

have you watched the last month of parra games.:lol: :lol:

Prodigiousman

Juniors
dio said:

Yeah I'm sorry what was I thinking - Smith was man of the match on Friday so he's in awesome form! Channel 9 always get it right. Sometimes I wonder if Tim Smith is Matty Johns' love child.

Let's look at the past month

Beat Souths 18-12
Beat Brisbane 20-16
Lost to Manly 34-22
Beat Bulldogs 34-22

If Tim Smith was in the kind of form that wins a team a premiership the Eels would've put plenty on the Broncos and not surrendered their lead on the Sea Eagles.

He's an ok player with some great skills but he is not a superstar who'll win Parra the comp and he's a flaky customer anyway so I don't expect him to stand up and be counted when the Eels need him.

My view - amazingly different to Channel 9 and Parramatta fans.

Does it mean I'm right? No of course not. But I'm pretty sure I saw each game in question and Tim Smith instilled within me no confidence that he can win 4 games on the trot in September in the form he has displayed the past 2 seasons (heck even in 2005 he was flashy but where was the substance when it mattered?).

Just my view on a player - wrong or right.

eels_fan_01

Bench
dio said:

It this the new one is it. Before the season we had "eels have the worst halves in the NRL and cant make the 8". Just another prediction we will prove wrong.

JJ

Immortal
Melbourne will be there

Opponents depending on the draw will be one of Manly, Parra, the Warriors or possibly the Dogs.

The Dogs will be injury dependent, Warriors need a break even referee's performance (f**king unlikely IMO) and a decent kicking game, the Eels seem to be serially fragile, so that means if I had to bet my house, I'd say Melbourne v Manly - with Melbourne winning comfortably.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Eels vs Warriors. Warriors have peaked at the right time and Parra have had a pretty consisent season if they can put together a full 80 minutes, we will be there.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Hope says it can only be Melbourne v Canterbury.

Unfortunately that won't happen.

Head says Melb v Parra.

Manly and Dogs to choke in W3

Tekken Lord

Juniors
Originally Posted by Prodigiousman
I feel that only Melbourne or the Tigers are capable of the level of football that will win the competition so they are my pick.

However given the way the McIntyre works I can't be sure they can actually line up in the Grand Final.

I just can't see Manly being able to beat Melbourne with the Storm's strength being their slow down of the play the ball and nullifying the opposition forwards (which is Manly's strength).

Everyone might want to write off the Tigers after they got beat by a Titans team that had to win that game and had their best players back. The Tigers didn't have Hodgson, Whatuira and Payten - that's 3 big omissions from the team that will take the park in September.

I believe the Tigers are the only team that can really worry Melbourne at full strength - the way they move the ball is so much crisper than the Sharks did last night and look at the worries the Storm had out wide when the Sharks moved it across the field.

To put it another way - the Tigers best football is better than the best of every other team in the comp in my opinion, and the Storm are easily 2nd but there's a big drop off to 3rd and 4th. Come September you need your A Game - and if the Tigers bring it - I can't see any pretenders standing in their way until they meet the Storm - which hopefully will be in the Grand Final.

Bulldogs - Unless Mason, Williams, O'Meley and Tonga are fully fit they don't have the depth to contend and even then i'm not sure they're capable of the football needed to win this year.
Warriors - Big question marks over Rovelli and Witt as a premiership level combination - both good players on their day but you don't win comps without a quality playmaker who can step it up in the big games.
Cowboys - Can't tackle on a good day let alone a bad one. No O'Donnell or Tronc puts incredible strain on their forward rotation and Bowen/Thurston cannot do it all for 4 straight weeks.
Broncos - wrote them off when Lockyer got hurt, just too big an obstacle for any team to overcome.

You are talking about the same tigers team that always loses to the eels regardless of how sh*t they play, hoping we play the tigers because even if they play this supposed higher gear than the eels are capable of they'll still spank them like they did early in the year.
As i remember the tigers were on a six game winning streak and got hammered.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
Hey don't get me wrong the Eels played their best game of the season that night against the Tigers. They were sensational.

Marshall or no Marshall the Tigers played terribly and the Eels were superb that evening.

But my point is this - right or wrong - at their best the Tigers will beat anyone, and Parra's dominance that night was off the back of their excellent go-forward barrage which the Tigers pack just couldn't stop.

I don't mind being a lone voice here. And of course I expect Parra fans to stick up for their team - but try and be a little objective from time to time please!

And for the record yeah winning your past 6 games on the trot v the Tigers is impressive but would you prefer to 'own' an opposition over a period of a few years or win a premiership over that same time span?

because at the end of the day that's all that counts - winning the comp. Ask Melbourne that if they can't get the job done this year - it'll be two regular seasons of domination and 5 consecutive Finals campaigns without a premiership.

Tekken Lord

Juniors
I know what you're saying about the tigers, i'm just saying that parra can play to that level as well i just hope we play them in the GF because even if the eels choke we'll still win.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
petetheileet said:
i think its anyones game..it will come down to some luck...i dont think the teams that have the 2nd week off will go too well

Warriors will make it fo sho then, we're the only team with Luck on our side.

Latest posts