What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone upset that we lost Norman?

broncos2010

Juniors
Pretty much done deal to eels looks it.

I am not really upset to be honest It was always going to be Prince and Wallace this season if they had any believe in Norman they would not have gone to sign Prince in the first place bargain price or not.

I would even go as far as saying it would be better for both parties to come to an early release if he does sign so early in the year as well as I can't see him getting the hop on Prince unless he brakes down.

beads6

First Grade
I won't be so much upset about losing Norman but upset that we continue to lose players while our junior talent seems to be very lackluster. I'll also be a bit pissed of that we lose Norman and we signed Prince. All this talk from Hook about backing our own young blokes and then we sign a guy like Prince instead of throwing the kitchen sink at DCE.

beads6

First Grade
I just don't understand our recruitment/retention any more.

I don't even think the club does. They seem to be only keen to get back former Broncos or sign up some QLD cup players from Redcliffe.

broncos2010

Juniors
Looks like the club is not really interested in signing any more more marquee players after the Falou saga.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
He had a shot at becoming a playmaker, but he just doesn't seem to have it in him. He's much more suited to support play, and running off kicks which lends to him playing in the centres, wing or fullback, all of which we have filled.

If he goes, it just creates another opportunity for Ben Hunt, who I rate more as a playmaker anyway.

Good luck to him if he lands a deal at Parra, but he is seriously being over-hyped. The courier mail are calling him a "Boom 5/8th" and "QLD Origin hopeful". Hardly terms I would use to describe his last season.

Last edited:

broncos2010

Juniors
Yeah norman does not really have a kicking game on him at all.

Maybe his best position was always full back at best.

b4l

Juniors
He had a shot at becoming a playmaker, but he just doesn't seem to have it in him. He's much more suited to support play, and running off kicks which lends to him playing in the centres, wing or fullback, all of which we have filled.

If he goes, it just creates another opportunity for Ben Hunt, who I rate more as a playmaker anyway.

Good luck to him if he lands a deal at Parra, but he is seriously being over-hyped. The courier mail are calling him a "Boom 5/8th" and "QLD Origin hopeful". Hardly terms I would use to describe his last season.

HAHA pull another one Wank_Slime.
You were his biggest fan. As soon as any Bronco about to leave they turn to shit all of a sudden LOL at you!!

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Is this thread premature or is it pretty much a done deal, as the OP said?

For me, I would upset losing Norman. Sure he hasn't played at a consistently good level, but neither has someone like Wallace. Furthermore, Norman has the ability of creating something out of nothing (which he did a couple of times in 2012), and does have an element of surprise about him. Not many of our current Broncos have this attribute, Hodges and to a lesser extent Gillett.

I prefer the club keep Norman over Wallace, as Wallace is over-paid and doesn't have a creative bone in his body.

Regardless of whether Norman goes or not, the bigger problem is our retention and recruitment. We are pretty much not going to sign any marquee players, the club has made that pretty clear. But then we are unable to retain our up and coming players. It just doesn't add up to me.

b4l

Juniors
Is this thread premature or is it pretty much a done deal, as the OP said?

For me, I would upset losing Norman. Sure he hasn't played at a consistently good level, but neither has someone like Wallace. Furthermore, Norman has the ability of creating something out of nothing (which he did a couple of times in 2012), and does have an element of surprise about him. Not many of our current Broncos have this attribute, Hodges and to a lesser extent Gillett.

I prefer the club keep Norman over Wallace, as Wallace is over-paid and doesn't have a creative bone in his body.

Regardless of whether Norman goes or not, the bigger problem is our retention and recruitment. We are pretty much not going to sign any marquee players, the club has made that pretty clear. But then we are unable to retain our up and coming players. It just doesn't add up to me.

Well said mate. You seem to agree with a lot of things I say on here *strokes chin*

AceAv

Juniors
Yup. Definately would be happier if the headline was "Wallace back to Penrith" etc...

Norman really didn't get a fair run at no.6 and if you look at the season I would say 45% of his games I was pleased with. For a 1st year, filling the boots of the greatest NRL player we've seen thats pretty good.

Wallace -Yay he can kick a little further..

So yeah, I'm pretty bitter about him going -especially to a club like Parramatta. Look at Sandow's form (Not saying this is all parra's fault, but I can't see myself wanting to follow Norman and cheer his form on in that Jersey...)

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Well said mate. You seem to agree with a lot of things I say on here *strokes chin*

Yes we do have some common opinions and some of your thoughts are insightful. Not always, but it would be boring if everyone agreed on everything.

Maybe if your posts weren't so over the top you might get a bit more respect around here and less posts deleted and you wouldn't have to keep creating new accounts... Just sayin'...

some11

Referee
I tried to like him, showed some glimpses of potential and scored some very arsey tries.

Get rid of the dead wood so we can go back to signing quality players like we used to when we needed them.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
While taken on his merits, Norman isn't that great a loss, Te'o was. This trend of losing young players without signing big names to replace them is really starting to get f**king old.

Am I being too optimistic in thinking this might have something to do with JT? Probably.

Jason Simmons

Juniors
Let's not get too ahead of ourselves. The Eels haven't even tabled an offer...

Broncos set to tie up Corey Norman with new deal

OREY Norman wants to stay at the Broncos, and it will take a substantial offer to lure him away from Red Hill.

Norman's manager Paul Sutton met Broncos football manager Andrew Gee on Monday to discuss extending his client's contract, and the recent interest from cashed-up Parramatta.

It is understood the Broncos have been negotiating with Norman for weeks, while there is no formal offer from the Eels on the table.

The Courier-Mail revealed that the Eels' interest in Norman was serious after they missed out on Cowboys front-row enforcers James Tamou and Matt Scott for 2014.

Eels coach Ricky Stuart is continuing to scour the player market, with the Eels already seeing this season as one for rebuilding.

Norman, 22, is one of the Broncos' brightest talents, but he has not realised his potential as quickly as many predicted.

He won man-of-the-match honours in his NRL debut in 2010, but wearing Darren Lockyer's No.6 jersey last season proved a burden too difficult to handle.

The Broncos have enlisted Lockyer to help Norman and halves partner Peter Wallace.

Lockyer's manager George Mimis confirmed his client had been working with the Broncos' halves in an advisory role for three months.

"It's more a mentor role for Corey Norman and Peter Wallace," Mimis said. "He's an ambassador at the Broncos, not a coach.

"It's more general advice and video review."

Norman will start at No.6 in Brisbane's trial against New Zealand Warriors in Dunedin on Saturday.

Broncos coach Anthony Griffin yesterday named a near-full-strength team for the trial, which will be televised live on Fox Sports and delayed on Channel 9.

Scott Prince will come off the bench again, with Wallace preferred at halfback.

Prince is still favoured to win the No.7 jersey for the round 1 clash with Manly.

He has already played a full 80 minutes in the All Stars game, whereas Wallace and Norman played only last week's trial loss to Gold Coast.

The Broncos have lost both their trial matches, but that form pales in comparison with the Warriors, who lost their last eight games of the 2012 season and both trials this year.

The players have been enjoying a five-day camp at the South Island holiday destination of Queenstown, in a staunch rugby union region.

Queenstown has just one rugby league club, and in a huge change for the Broncos they have only had one media interview request this week.

A crowd of more than 20,000 is expected for Saturday's clash, indoors at Forsyth Barr Stadium, home to Super Rugby's Highlanders.

Latest posts