What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ANZAC Test axed?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Again, they are standardized because they serve as qualifiers for the WC and European Championship. And congrats you found one european team that has dedicated friendlies, the host of the tournament.

And yes you will find a soccer nation ducking out of international matches, I used them as an example: England leaving the home championship matches, and I wouldnt say international matches are the pinnacle of soccer, the world cup yes, but not them as a whole.

And again, Australia isnt ducking anything, they are just changing the date.
I found that the one nation that is actually able to play friendlies because they don't have other matches has done so? All other nations also play friendlies whenever they can. England have played four friendly matches in the last year in addition to 6 qualifying matches. I don't know what "home championship matches" you're talking about but there hasn't been a home nations tournament in soccer since 1983.

Your argument here seems to be that soccer nations only play friendlies when they have the chance to do so. Well yeah, of course, that's the whole point. Australia in RL do have a chance to do so in the mid-season window and don't have a chance to do so post-season, when they will be involved in tournaments. Do you think France or some other nation would schedule soccer international friendlies right in the middle of Euro 2016? Or go for 18 months without playing a single match like Australia RL are going to do? No, they played them whenever they had the chance. Trying to cram all the internationals into a short post-season window is ridiculous.

And apart from anything else, the ANZAC test isn't a friendly, it's a test match with a trophy available.

Scubby

Juniors
Moving Australia test matches to after SOO is common sense

Simple solution is NZ play England annually

Weekend could look like

Thu France v Lebanon
Fri NZ v England
Sat 3pm Cook Is v Niue
Sat 5:30pm PNG v Fiji
Sat 7:30pm Samoa v Tonga
Sun 4:00pm City v Country
Sun 6:00pm NSW v QLD U20s
Sun 8:00pm SOO

City v Country is a NSW Origin trial why play it in the middle of SOO? Unless you want to hoover up more PNG, Fiji and Tongans and prevent them from playing in pacific tests.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
City v Country is a NSW Origin trial why play it in the middle of SOO? Unless you want to hoover up more PNG, Fiji and Tongans and prevent them from playing in pacific tests.

If the NSW selector cant pick a team from the last 13 NRL rounds, one more game wont help...

And if CvC cant justify its existence in its own right, then its not worth have.