What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Archer Backs Calls

blacksafake

First Grade
Referees boss Tony Archer has backed two decisive calls that went against St George Illawarra in their 16-12 loss to Parramatta on Saturday night.
Archer also supported the decision to award Bryson Goodwin a try for South Sydney against Manly on Friday night.
The Dragons were denied two tries – either side of half-time – by the video referee in their four-point loss to the Eels.
The first was an obstruction call against St George Illawarra back-rower Tyson Frizell who ran a block play before colliding with Parramatta halfback Chris Sandow as the Dragons crossed for a would-be try in the corner.
Advertisement
Archer said it was the correct decision by video referee Shayne Hayne.
"The contact, distance it is from the try line and the impact it has on the defensive line [are important]," Archer said. "At that point [Frizell] almost has to avoid contact unless it's so insignificant it does not impede the defensive line. That was not the case."
The other was a denied try to centre Euan Aitken. Winger Dylan Farrell batted back a Benji Marshall kick for Aitken to claim the loose ball to score. On-field referee Ashley Klein ruled no try.
"The live decision was a no try and he asked to confirm a knock on," Archer said. "The two main angles that the video referee viewed – one was from across the in goal and one was from behind. The one from behind it looked like a try but the one from the in goal demonstrated that the ball travels forward across the ground."
The calls left St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor unhappy and he vowed to take up his grievances through the appropriate channels.
Archer also confirmed referee Matt Cecchin did not ask for video referee Steven Clark to check for a forward pass in the lead-up to Goodwin's try. Archer said Cecchin had asked how the ball came out in the lead-up to Goodwin scoring, after the South Sydney centre dived on a bouncing pass from winger Aaron Gray as he stumbled toward the corner post. Cecchin ruled no try because of a knock-on, and the decision was reversed.
"He does not check a pass, nor is he allowed to check a pass," Archer said. "So the video referee checked the touchline and grounding. From the angles I have seen, I can't determine if it's a forward pass. The hands seem to go backwards as Gray's body continues to go forward. The ball definitely bounces forward, which it's allowed to do."

http://www.smh.com.au

Fairdinkum that'll do me he & Klein are the only two who think this.All the tv/radio commentators all declared them tries especially Aitkens, hell even parra supporters have admitted they were ok but this clown thinks otherwise.I suppose we shouldn't be surprised after all the co*k ups this season so far.The nrl has backed themselves so far into a corner with the ref/video refs efforts thus far that they have now resorted to backing the stuff ups!

Last edited:

saintjeff

Juniors
Tony Archer must have his eyes painted on like Klein
.It is dumb and dumber.for mine.If they are consistent it would be ok but they are far from it

hazzbeen

Bench
So even if the their outcome on the ruling was wrong ..... they say it is the right call, so everyone has to be ok about it......... wankers.....

2010Dragons

Bench
What load of rubbish. Talk about the blind leading the blind !
Archer is only backing his incompetent Referees again to save face !

Which team will be ripped off in round 16 with another dubious decision by these bungling referees ?

Seriously, Ashley Klien look like he didn’t have a clue and kept on sending definite trys to the KFC Video pelican in the
box.
Isn’t the video referee usually a retired wash-up referee who can’t get a real job in the real world ?
So the jobs for the boys ticket is available to these inept referees.

if you are useless referee, there is light at the end of the tunnel when you retire called KFC Video Referee. (and all you can eat chicken)

how can a hopeless on field referee become a video referee when they couldn’t make the right call on the field.

Either the referees are incompetent or corrupt or both….which one is it ?

TruSaint

Referee
Thanks Archer.

I thought you were going to say, we got this one wrong.

Not too hard considering even the opposing fans thought so.

But alas.

D..head

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I heard NRL refs get paid good money you know. Between 80k-100k a year. No bull$hit.

Mary needs to whinge like Des Hasler to get the refs to be scared of penalising his side. Sad but looks to be true. Refs are intimidated by the Dogs and since that good Friday they have not had 1 bad call against them. Refer to Dragons game. Not 1 bad call against them. The ref even admitted to being scared.

I wonder how many teams win close games when they are at home due to refs? Probably close to 100% I would say?

TruSaint

Referee
I heard NRL refs get paid good money you know. Between 80k-100k a year. No bull$hit.

Mary needs to whinge like Des Hasler to get the refs to be scared of penalising his side. Sad but looks to be true. Refs are intimidated by the Dogs and since that good Friday they have not had 1 bad call against them. Refer to Dragons game. Not 1 bad call against them. The ref even admitted to being scared.

I wonder how many teams win close games when they are at home due to refs? Probably close to 100% I would say?

Not bad coin is it.

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Good coin and not a bad gig when you stuff up and still get backed up by you're boss.
What a joke the nrl and they're refs are.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach

The refs are cowards.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Thanks Archer.

I thought you were going to say, we got this one wrong.

Not too hard considering even the opposing fans thought so.

But alas.

D..head

Me to..but did we expect anything else, they have to save face because the on field ref called no try...I usually move on from these decisions (not that I like it) but Ive watched the Aitken no try over and over and no one will ever convince me it should have been disallowed....

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

On a side note to that as much as I have the utmost respect for Creagh I still think he needs to be more assertive with the refs on field....just watch Smith, Thurston and Hodges they are always barking in the refs ear particularly when they are at their home grounds.

Highland Saint

Juniors
On a side note to that as much as I have the utmost respect for Creagh I still think he needs to be more assertive with the refs on field....just watch Smith, Thurston and Hodges they are always barking in the refs ear particularly when they are at their home grounds.

Love Benny and the professional respect he displays but I agree, he has too much of a cleancut schoolboy image when dealing with these slugs

TruSaint

Referee
me to..but did we expect anything else, they have to save face because the on field ref called no try...i usually move on from these decisions (not that i like it) but ive watched the aitken no try over and over and no one will ever convince me it should have been disallowed....

100% bse.

possm

Coach
I'd like to see the video Refs use a grid background graphic when judging off-side, forward passes, knock-ons and other such decisions.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
When it comes to putting the heat on the refs, we need to time it just perfectly, i.e. before the semis. Watch Bennett and Hasler do it then. They do it almost every season. I'm pretty sure Bennet also had a right royal whinge before the 2010 semis.

TruSaint

Referee
When it comes to putting the heat on the refs, we need to time it just perfectly, i.e. before the semis. Watch Bennett and Hasler do it then. They do it almost every season. I'm pretty sure Bennet also had a right royal whinge before the 2010 semis.

Hasler even beats Bennett in this arena. he is fair dinkum the Joker. Whether at manly or the Slimy dogs, he is the maestro.

stg666

Juniors
they should have read section 10 in the rules of the game . matters not if a ball travels forward across the ground if the ball has been passed [ tapped ] backwards to start with . $#))(_$#^*()(