What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Archer wins the grand final

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I honestly don't think anyone is saying the Dragons weren't the dominant team. What I'm saying(and I think a couple others) are saying is that your dominance was on the back of being gifted a few tries and momentum.

Personally, despite wanting the Roosters to win, I felt the Dragons were the better team and wholefully anticipated you to win. My comments at the start of the game was I just hoped it was a close one, such was my respect and anticipation for a Dragons win.

I just don't think the refereeing was fair. At all.

I know all you Dragons are happy in your victory, but wouldn't you have preferred a 6 point victory without farcical refereeing?

At best you can say the refereeing was a joke, at worst you can say it was a joke and went against the Chooks

The reffing has been sh*thouse all year, what do you expect?

Whinging about the reffing won't change the result, Roosters wouldn't even have been contesting in the GF if it weren't for some poor refereeing.

I think much of the whinging is overstated. Gasniers try was obviously not one, Leilua's wasn't one, Young's was touch and go and the push in the back wasn't as big as everyone has made out. Apart from that, it still wasn't a 6 point game like you're making it out to be.

I can understand why some fans feel that they were hard done by, but the better team won on the day. You're the fool who wrote the title "Archer wins the GF", that implies the Dragon's weren't deserving winners which simply isn't the case.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Could not give the slightest hint of a sh*t. Why don't you go ask that same question of Brisbane fans re the 06 GF? Better yet, ask the Queenslanders how much they minded the none-too-subtle hand outs they got for years from the late, great Barry Gommersall? Did any of them feel their wins were somehow cheapened? I doubt it, and in this instance Gommersall freely admitted he'd favoured Queensland on the odd occasion.

You know what's interesting? I watched a replay of the 75 GF, and I couldn't believe some of the calls. And the commentators barely mentioned them. And the players didn't raise a protest, just got on with it. I know refs have always copped it to one degree or another, but if that game were played in today's climate of microscopic examination of every decision, there would be an uproar.

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
The reffing has been sh*thouse all year, what do you expect?

Whinging about the reffing won't change the result, Roosters wouldn't even have been contesting in the GF if it weren't for some poor refereeing.

I think much of the whinging is overstated. Gasniers try was obviously not one, Leilua's wasn't one, Young's was touch and go and the push in the back wasn't as big as everyone has made out. Apart from that, it still wasn't a 6 point game like you're making it out to be.

I can understand why some fans feel that they were hard done by, but the better team won on the day. You're the fool who wrote the title "Archer wins the GF", that implies the Dragon's weren't deserving winners which simply isn't the case.

They weren't deserving. That's true.

They would have been. Unfortunately the refs gifted you a win, which is my point; The victory will be forever tainted.

Dragons fans have 0 bragging rights. ZERO.

Wouldn't you have preferred the refs f**ked off and the Dragons won on the back of being a great team? :crazy:

Meth

Staff member
Not everything is about the Dragons mate, it would have been beneficial for the roosters though dipsh*t , when the dragons scored early in the second half they wouldnt have went behind.

What an inane attempt at making a point

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Unfortunately for you and your worthless opinion, the Dragons have 100% bragging rights, regardless of what you or anybody in England thinks.

They fact you're still crying about it two days later is prime evidence you're a bitter dickhead, and everyone can see it.

juanfarkall

Coach
I don't think anyone would argue that the referees were consistently crap throughout 2011 however for the haters to suggest that one team only won the grand final due to refereeing decisions (errors, deliberate or just incompetence) amounts to little more than

sour+grapes.jpg

I expect to see a drop in the price of sultanas.

aussie7798

First Grade
This is my last contribution to this thread

Rugbyhighlights of all those comments you selected not one said that the result would have been different or that all the desicions went one way so i dont know what you proved by that as everyone agreed that the refs where crap it just seems that some here think that the descions went one way.

Dragons Premiers all you haters can just look at that forever.

Meth

Staff member

They would have been. Unfortunately the refs gifted you a win, which is my point; The victory will be forever tainted.

Wouldn't you have preferred the refs f**ked off and the Dragons won on the back of being a great team? :crazy:

This is pitiful

Firey_Dragon

Coach

Mate, I don't care how we won. We were the better team on the day, the margin decided by the ref's is just a minor detail. Both teams had a blatant no try given, the rest were objectionable calls, and it was not a one-way street like you're making it out to be. So no our win isn't tainted, the better team won and the record books will reflect that. Idiot's such as yourself may look back at it in a bitter manner, but I couldn't care less.

Keep carrying on like a petulant child if you will, it's giving us all a good laugh.

Jono1987

Juniors
I'm surprised Hornby didn't thank Archer and Hayne in his victory speech. In fact I'm disgusted. Without them we were no chance at all.

Anyway as a loyal follower of my club I'd like to give me victory speech;

To opposition fans of those spastic, god-awful clubs who could not win the premiership this year, thanks for turning out in record numbers. Just coming in here and seeing all the hate and excuses made me feel all gooey and warm on the inside. If it wasn't for your club being well, so damn terrible, we could not have done it. A big thank you to the NQ Cowboys board for rejecting the greatest coach of all-time. Thanks to the Melbourne Storm admin for pissing off an insider who turned around and leaked what everyone already knew. Big congratulations to the players, a truly champion team. Unlike a club like the Raiders, we don't rely on one man. Finally I'll be a bigger man than Hornby and thank the officials. Cheers boys first rounds on me.

2010 NRL Premiers St. George Illawarra Dragons. Say that out loud friends. It just sounds so right.

CMUX

[
QUOTE=Firey_Dragon;6955265]
Mate, I don't care how we won. We were the better team on the day, the margin decided by the ref's is just a minor detail. Both teams had a blatant no try given, the rest were objectionable calls, and it was not a one-way street like you're making it out to be. So no our win isn't tainted, the better team won and the record books will reflect that. Idiot's such as yourself may look back at it in a bitter manner, but I couldn't care less.

Keep carrying on like a petulant child if you will, it's giving us all a good laugh.
[/QUOTE]

That is just not true. Our first try was a try under the current rules/interpretations or at the very least it was a 50/50 thing that could have gone either way. In your first try the player running down the sideline was irrefutably in touch.

At the end of the day though the dragons were good enough to take their opportunities and won the match.

Doomednow

Bench
Dragons fans can be proud of their premiership win. But they don't really have a right to brag about the margin on the scoreboard (though not sure many people have been).

Refereeing standards atrocious all year. Something needs to be done asap.

kurt faulk

Coach

f**k me dead man.

where can i send you a box of tissues?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Dragons fans can be proud of their premiership win. But they don't really have a right to brag about the margin on the scoreboard (though not sure many people have been).
SCOREBOARD:
32-8

If I have exceeded my rights, please feel to issue another proclamation.
Doomednow said:
Refereeing standards atrocious all year. Something needs to be done asap.
Yeah that's Saints fault as well.

Doomednow

Bench
SCOREBOARD:
32-8

If I have exceeded my rights, please feel to issue another proclamation.

Yeah that's Saints fault as well.

Didn't say it was the saints fault bud. I also said you deserved your win and should be proud of it. Neither did I imply it was St George's fault that refereeing standards have been sub par. I also indicated that from what I had seen the fans hadn't been touting the score as evidence of a resolute thumping (other than to counter roosters complaints that it was gifted to them, which is fine. Even if you get lucky with referee calls, a margin that big still indicates you should have won regardless).

I understand you feel like you need to lash out at anyone who doesn't own a jersey with a red v on it but you'd do well to actually read and consider what other people say before getting offended and acting like a dick-hole.

You had a win, but do you not agree that the game would benefit as a whole - and you wouldn't have to put up with whingers on here - if the general standard of refereeing was lifted? I still think you would have won regardless of those dodgy calls.

Last edited:

carcharias

Immortal
I don't think anyone would argue that the referees were consistently crap throughout 2011 however for the haters to suggest that one team only won the grand final due to refereeing decisions (errors, deliberate or just incompetence) amounts to little more than

sour+grapes.jpg

I expect to see a drop in the price of sultanas.

who wins?

Dr.J

Juniors
Three bookmakers taking bets on the NRL Grand Final, Sportingbet, Centrebet and Betfair, have offered to refund money to all punters who wagered money on Tony Archer to win the Clive Churchill medal. Whilst they will also pay bets wagered on the medal winner, Darius Boyd, they will refund money placed on Archer as a goodwill gesture to their valuable customers. A spokesman from Centrebet said “whilst no one can deny that Darius Boyd had a terrific game, the most valuable player was definitely Archer. He was heavily involved in the lead up to all of their tries and without him they would not have had nearly as comprehensive a win.” Sportingbet had a similar attitude, saying that although Archer did most of his work in attack for the Dragons, that he made a valuable contribution in defence as well – “that try that he saved just before half time when he called the forward pass to Leilua was crucial. If he doesn’t make that call the Dragons could go to the sheds 8 points down. His work when the Dragons had the ball was there for everyone to see, but his defence was also awesome”. Betfair remarked that they had not seen as influential a game from a referee in a Grand Final and were surprised that Archer wasn’t awarded the medal by the judges, saying “he was forced into one penalty when Friend was almost decapitated, so you can’t really criticise him for that, and the only other penalty against the Dragons was in junk time. Pretty much apart from that he has had a perfect game”.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Didn't say it was the saints fault bud. I also said you deserved your win and should be proud of it. Neither did I imply it was St George's fault that refereeing standards have been sub par. I also indicated that from what I had seen the fans hadn't been touting the score as evidence of a resolute thumping (other than to counter roosters complaints that it was gifted to them, which is fine. Even if you get lucky with referee calls, a margin that big still indicates you should have won regardless).

I understand you feel like you need to lash out at anyone who doesn't own a jersey with a red v on it but you'd do well to actually read and consider what other people say before getting offended and acting like a dick-hole.

You had a win, but do you not agree that the game would benefit as a whole - and you wouldn't have to put up with whingers on here - if the general standard of refereeing was lifted? I still think you would have won regardless of those dodgy calls.
Haha, the proclamation.

Thank you for your kind and gracious words.

SCOREBOARD:
32-8

skeepe

Immortal
:lol:

Can't believe this thread is still going.

It's been two days. I think we can all agree that there were some absolutely woeful calls by the officials, but with a scoreline of 32-8 you can hardly place the blame squarely on their shoulders, particularly when the bad calls went both ways.

I suppose it is one way for Roosters fans to deflect attention from the fact that Carney, Anasta and Pearce went AWOL when it mattered most though. Maybe that's what this is all about.

Latest posts