What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are France progressing?

legend

Coach
After what look to be some very promising results in recent times, the under 21's defeat of the AIS and a new French team in the ESL next year, is a five year time frame to make France competitive to the point where they can win Test matches unrealistic?

Just from the snippets that I read, it seems the game is slowly rebuilding in France and it would be fantastic to see a Four Nations tournament with all four teams a chance at winning in the not-to-distant future.

Big Bunny

Juniors
I think 5 years is a realistic time frame in which to expect competitive results. At the moment they are already holding their own against the big guns, only that they are fading in the last 10-20 min like the Kiwis and Lions used to (and the Lions still do to a smaller extent). Once they get a few seasons behind them in Superleague they will have a core of fulltime pros to help take them that next step. I think in 5 years we will start to see the possibility of 1 off Test wins, much like we do with Great Britain, but for them to be truly competitive like the Kiwis have become we'll need to see a 2nd French club in Superleague so that their entire national team is fulltime. France doesn't and won't ever have the luxury of having Great Britain developing a large number of players for them like NZ does via rugby league in Australia outside of the NRL, so developing structures and seeing that 2nd ESL club is a necessity.

legend

Coach
Thanks for the reply mate. The signs are certainly encouraging and this mornings result can go hand in hand with the development of the International game, especially the French.

I think have the Les Cats in the ESL will only boost their national team as well as more French players will have better experiance with high-quality opposition.

Calixte

First Grade
The French are already competitive, just not winning against the big two quite yet.

Their results against Australia and New Zealand (the latter now unofficial world champion) in both 2004 and 2005 show that.

They led New Zealand with nine minutes to go in NZ's last game before being crowned Tri-Nations champions, something Australia certainly couldn't do today.

ali

Bench
I'd love to see a genuine superstar emerge from the fulltime pros they have. The chances are slim, but we may have a chance with someone like Fakir or Mounis who are only 22 and 20 respectively (I think). What about that winger Charles, that has come out of nowhere this rep season. Who does he play for? Is he the black guy that was shown in the highlights flying down the sidelines against Aus?

JasonE

Bench
ali said:
I'd love to see a genuine superstar emerge from the fulltime pros they have. The chances are slim, but we may have a chance with someone like Fakir or Mounis who are only 22 and 20 respectively (I think). What about that winger Charles, that has come out of nowhere this rep season. Who does he play for? Is he the black guy that was shown in the highlights flying down the sidelines against Aus?

Thats him Ali, he's been a real find for France this year as he has basically come from nowhere.

Pig Champion

Juniors
If Les Catalans make a good impact in SL maybe we'll see more French players being picked up by other SL clubs.

I'm not sure why it doesn't happen already. Do english clubs thinks it's too risky? Do french players not want to leave theirr shores to play?

Calixte

First Grade
PC,

I think your last point is the most valid.

French players traditionally want to stick close to home if possible.

A player like Gaston Comes from France's past would probably be regarded as an even greater player had he been prepared to leave his Catalan home more often.

Ferriol is in a similar situation for France now (albeit he is not in the same class as Comes, although few are and have been).

legend

Coach
Strange attitude this day and age where travel is part and parcel of every porfessional sport and it's not as if England is a million miles aways, it's a stones throw when compared to the distances we travel in Australia.

winnyason

Juniors
cut that time frame down, i give it 2 years max before win over one of big three.all they need is defensive descipline, already have a geniune world superstar in the making fakir.

the money toulouse has these days they will be another team for young frenchmen to go outside sl.

legend

Coach
Could the Challenge Cup be opened up to include French teams and would the English teams object?

ali

Bench
legend said:
Could the Challenge Cup be opened up to include French teams and would the English teams object?

It has been, for the last few years. 2 Russian teams also.

legend

Coach
Thought I might be found out with that question. Apologies for not being up to speed but it seemed like the logical thing for the game in England to do.

yakstorm

First Grade
France really need a Rugby League Academy to fast track player development, and develop those up and coming super stars. It would be good if the Catlans could enter a team into the British Academy leagues.

1stNov2000

Juniors
Man to think that this was the last country to beat Australia in a series. Judging by their recent results they're definitely heading back to the right direction, I can't wait to see them return to the levels of their former glories.

JasonE

Bench
Having watched 3 of France's games recently, i think it's fair to say if you were choosing the top 3 props out of Oz NZ GB & France, based on form then Jerome Guisset would be amongst the top 3.

screeny

Bench
JasonE said:
Having watched 3 of France's games recently, i think it's fair to say if you were choosing the top 3 props out of Oz NZ GB & France, based on form then Jerome Guisset would be amongst the top 3.

Interesting point, but I disagree...but only just!

Best prop out of the four on recent form IMO is Fielden, then Wiki, Rauhihi, Asotasi, then Guisset, then Morley.

Latest posts