What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are Melbourne finished?

Iafeta

Referee
Looks like Jesse Bromwich and Kevin Proctor are trying to carry their pack forward on their own. Slaters best days are gone.

That said they were outplayed by a gutsy effort from the Warriors. That shouldn't be forgotten here.

Surrogate

Juniors
The big three may be experiencing the onset of Benji Marshall syndrome. It is typically suffered by players who have been at one club too long, they become too comfortable, complacent, lazy and lacking desire.

Its time for Bellamy to find some new talent and gradually phase them in before the big three finally retire.

Iafeta

Referee
Let's also not beat around the bush. In the space of 5 years they managed to recruit probably the 5 best rookies of that era. Not one or two... All of them (bar Sbw). With the recruiting systems, multimedia etc, that won't happen again in my view. Once Smith goes it will be interesting to see how they rebuild. I think it will be very difficult and probably show whether Bellamy is really a super coach after all.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Hampton looks quality, and Wid....dop has shown he was no bit player when at the Storm. It would have been a tough call, but they needed to make a call on one of the big 3 earlier and kept Wid...dop. Hindsight and all that.

Diesel

Referee
To be fair the Storm would've gone close to beating any of the other 14 teams based on tonight's efforts, maybe not the Raiders

Springs

First Grade
If they don't win a few games soon then Origin period will kill them.
May I just add seeing Brisbane and Melbourne lose like that in one day is almost too much to bear. Warms the heart.

DURRRHURRR

Juniors
Really weak bench, weak forward pack, ageing stars. This year will be a real struggle to make the 8. If there is to be a turnaround this season it will have to come from Hampton if he can have a few big games during origin then carry that form and maintain involvement for the rest of the season then things can happen. For the future I think some good attacking backrowers are needed, Hoffman is too old, Proctor is average at best and is just fortunate to be on the end of some set plays.

Bench
The new interpretations are killing them. They have got by in the past by having plodders like Norrie and Clint Newtown and having 4 guns. They're down to 3 guns and the plodders like hinchcliffe are nothing if they can't slow down the ruck.

As for smith f**k me he's overrated. Played behind dominant packs his entire career, if he played in an ordinary side he'd be thought of as a rich man's Glenn Buttriss. Farah will be a revelation this year now he finally has a dominant pack

I agree 100%,but gee you are get hammered talking down Smith's ability,he is untouchable,just ask the men in pink.

some11

Referee
As for smith f**k me he's overrated. Played behind dominant packs his entire career, if he played in an ordinary side he'd be thought of as a rich man's Glenn Buttriss. Farah will be a revelation this year now he finally has a dominant pack

How is that his fault?

Maybe they should give him a bunch of nuffies in the QLD and Australian forward packs just so he can prove himself to you..

Springs

First Grade
Dominant packs? I never thought of Bryan Norrie, Jaiman Lowe, Jason Ryles and co. as 'dominant' the last few years. Especially compared to the Bulldogs in 2012.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Yep, they're done.

I would've thought Meninga is gonna be in the toughest spot he's been in since our streak started when it comes to selection this year. I can think of a number of players who would deserve a callup over the formally big 3.

McC or J. Friend in for Smith
Inglis to fullback for Slater
Cherry Evans into the starting side for Cronk.

Danish

Referee
Slater, Smith, and Cronk all showed their age today when linebreaks were made.

3 years ago if Smith made a linebreak with Cronk in support you could put the glasses down because a try was guaranteed. Either Smith would simply draw and pass to Cronk around the fullback, or if need be Cronk would have Slater in support in no time.

Today, Smith went through and basically dumped it straight off onto Cronk as he was too slow to go on with it, then Cronk himself was run down easily by Townsend and a multitude of defenders to the point that the warriors had a set defensive line for the next tackle. Slater was also miles behind the play.

You can't write them off as a think the Bromwich boys are pretty damned good and they just have a good will to win, but they certainly aren't the invincible powerhouse they were

Danish

Referee
Yep, they're done.

I would've thought Meninga is gonna be in the toughest spot he's been in since our streak started when it comes to selection this year. I can think of a number of players who would deserve a callup over the formally big 3.

McC or J. Friend in for Smith
Inglis to fullback for Slater
Cherry Evans into the starting side for Cronk.

Smith absolutely deserves to hold his spot as starting hooker, although Jake Friend would certainly look good on the bench.

Inglis is better than Slater, but IMO the centre stocks for QLD aren't too crash hot so you'd rather have both of them in the team than dropping Slater and bringing in some lesser player.

DCE should be the first starting player picked for QLD. He won't be though. He'll be the bench utility for at least the next 2 series IMO until the blues finally win a series and force QLD to get rid of their ageing stars

blaza88z

Coach
Slater has lost a yard or 2 of pace, Cronk and Smith are still world class players in their respective positions but as a fullback the one thing you need to be able to remain at the top is speed.. he's lost a bit of that in my opinion

Latest posts