What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are South Sydney the real deal?

Desert Qlder

First Grade
The comparison with Penrith 2010 an Saints of 09 doesn't bear close examination.

That Penrith side was possibly the worst finals side I've seen. They had very few of the qualities that Souths possess - true attacking prowess, defensive ability and world class players come to mind.

And the Saints team had demons of their own that were unique to that club. History has proven they were a premiership side anyway.

I understand the argument that Souths may not go all the way, but they are poor examples to illustrate the point.

Everyone knows that finals are a different kettle of fish. The argument that Souths have "beaten no-one" on the way to getting there is ridiculous. If we had won 50% or less of our games you could say that but we are sittin in 2nd place with the 2nd best winning percentage in the comp. To get there, you can only beat whats in front of you and with the exception of maybe two or three of our wins, they have all been fairly convincing. The last couple of games have been without arguably two of our best attacking weapons. Take Barba and Ennis out of the Dogs side and we see how they go, even against weaker opposition. Souths have barely skipped a beat. 2 years ago, if we were missing Asotasi, we fell apart. This year we've barely noticed him missing.

The game against the Titans was fairly lack lustre but we had 45% of the ball, only a hand full of tackles in the opposition 20 and were playing a "form" team at home and still managed to win. Ok, you can argue that some calls went in our favour, but some certainly didn't as well. The Titans had a try gifted to a bloke who was a metre offside and another try off a pass that I have seen called forward before. Plus they won the penalty count so its hard to argue that we had the rub of the green.

These are the sort of games that last year / two years ago, we'd have lost convincingly. This year we stuck it out for a win. The type of win you'd expect from the Dragons two years ago or Manly at the backend of last year. If we'd have had 50% of the ball yesterday we'd have won by plenty and the only reason the Titans got a sniff at the end was because we'd made 50 odd more tackles than them at that stage.

As I said though, the finals are a different animal. We have players with the composure and proven finals experience to pull it off and a few young blokes who will shit bricks for sure. In that regard though, I don't think we are far different to many of the other teams. The Doggies aren't exactly proven finals performers either when it gets down to it. They would have to have just as many question marks over them as us imo.

One thing is for sure... I can't wait to find out.

Clifferd

Coach
Unfortunately, yes they're the real deal. John the man Sutton is no longer a lazy player and gets all the little things right. There are several key players in that Souths team that are having their best seasons, not to mention the rookies they have brought in are basically doing what you'd expect of players who have played 100+ first grade games. (Everingham, Renoylds, Farrell and that winger, can't remember his name.)

Feej

First Grade
Souths, the team - Yep
Souths, the bandwagon supporters - not so much

BranVan3000

Coach
I still have question marks over our team

We really lack go forward when a team brings it to us and that was evident against the Titans. We lack the ability to get repeat sets, though I guess that is partly due to us being fantastic at scoring when the opportunity presents itself. That's at least how it appeared to me against Titans, but perhaps we jut weren't at our best on the day. If we re winning while not playing our best footy, its a good sign

I think when the finals come, our lack of go forward may be exposed and the inability to trap a side down its own half of the field will be a weakness. If we are defending our line for most of the finals we re in trouble

Really, I haven't been able to put a real finger in where we stand right now, but to me is evident we need to go up anther gear. Whether we will, remains to be seen

At the same time we looked unstoppable against some teams who are more than competent. Knights, Titans etc. etc. have handily dealt with other top 8 teams but couldn't do it against us

I think this Manly game will tell us a lot.

One thing I noticed is we look supremely fit. The fittest I've ever seen the team

Jason Maher

Immortal
The comparison with Penrith 2010 an Saints of 09 doesn't bear close examination.

That Penrith side was possibly the worst finals side I've seen. They had very few of the qualities that Souths possess - true attacking prowess, defensive ability and world class players come to mind.

And the Saints team had demons of their own that were unique to that club. History has proven they were a premiership side anyway.

I understand the argument that Souths may not go all the way, but they are poor examples to illustrate the point.

Read the post I was responding to. The only point I was making was that while no team flukes a top 2 finish, that in itself is not an indication that a team is a genuine Premiership threat. Wasn't meaning to imply that Souths were in the same category as Penrith 2010.

L
Honestly? No.

When they've come up against big name teams with credentials, they've faltered. Including yesterday - giving up twelve points in the last ten minutes. I can see Manly grinding them down on Friday night.

Hell, it was only by a freak of nature they beat the Roosters.

Like clock work.Your hate of the Souths club still coming through.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Try responding the points I've made - play the ball not the man. I've attempted to here - how about affording me the same opportunity?

M2D2

Bench
Try responding the points I've made - play the ball not the man. I've attempted to here - how about affording me the same opportunity?
Have beaten the Dogs, Cowboys & Sharks this year.
So theres 3 wins right there, so to imply they've faltered everytime they have came up against a team with credentials like you did is false.
Sure they allow late points and lose some games and fail to put every team to bed.
But hell, even the dogs allow teams back into matches when it should be all over.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I still have question marks over our team

We really lack go forward when a team brings it to us and that was evident against the Titans. We lack the ability to get repeat sets, though I guess that is partly due to us being fantastic at scoring when the opportunity presents itself. That's at least how it appeared to me against Titans, but perhaps we jut weren't at our best on the day. If we re winning while not playing our best footy, its a good sign

I think when the finals come, our lack of go forward may be exposed and the inability to trap a side down its own half of the field will be a weakness. If we are defending our line for most of the finals we re in trouble

Really, I haven't been able to put a real finger in where we stand right now, but to me is evident we need to go up anther gear. Whether we will, remains to be seen

At the same time we looked unstoppable against some teams who are more than competent. Knights, Titans etc. etc. have handily dealt with other top 8 teams but couldn't do it against us

I think this Manly game will tell us a lot.

One thing I noticed is we look supremely fit. The fittest I've ever seen the team
About the go forward issue, it's bloody tough to have go forward with a 1-5 penalty count. When the refs give us a fair go we manage to get the go forward right.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHA...<breath>...HAHAHAHAHA

You make a great point but try taking your own advice.

Have beaten the Dogs, Cowboys & Sharks this year.
So theres 3 wins right there, so to imply they've faltered everytime they have came up against a team with credentials like you did is false.
Sure they allow late points and lose some games and fail to put every team to bed.
But hell, even the dogs allow teams back into matches when it should be all over.

I know the Sharks aren't exactly the benchmark, but that game we beat them in was the best they have played all year and we still got them. They would have beaten any other team in the comp that night imo.

M2D2

Bench
I know the Sharks aren't exactly the benchmark, but that game we beat them in was the best they have played all year and we still got them. They would have beaten any other team in the comp that night imo.
I pretty much thought the same actually. :lol:
But as i like souths i wasnt too upset we lost.

Todd Carney was a one man wrecking machine. Pretty much everything he touched that night turned to gold. Problem for the Sharks was that Inglis was exactly the same for us. It was like one on one with 16 man support crew either side. One of the better games of the year imo.

Yes they are, but as other posters have said, The Finals are a whole new type of preasure and i think that might tell on the Younger Players, if they do not go all the way this Year though, they are setting themselves up for a Golden Era and a Grand Final win within the next few Years

Souths Supporters should be feeling Very Confident about their Future

whoa maaan.......I don`t what happened there, i edited my last post and there was only a post Button and no save Button......so it reposted my last post.......me thinks more Beer is Needed

Ladmate

Bench
Of course. The only 'meh' team to be 2nd is Penrith in 2010 and that was because they had half their team injured in the finals.

big country

Juniors
Honestly? YESSSS!! At full strength the only team that would give us trouble in a Grand Final situation would probably be Melb......no?