What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are South Sydney the real deal?

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
They have the team to compete... But as a club I'm not so sure if they have the organisation or understanding of what it takes yet. When a club has struggled to win for so long, it can become a difficult assignment. Look how hard it was for St George or even the Roosters to break the drought. Whatever happens, they will be a better side next season.

Apey

Staff member
They deserve to be where they are. Only fools think otherwise.
Will they find glory on the 30th of September? Doubt it.

pretty much this, anyone saying no is just trying to stick true to lol@souffs.

so yes, they are. but it doesn't make their awesome trio of fans on here any less geniused.

Honestly? YESSSS!! At full strength the only team that would give us trouble in a Grand Final situation would probably be Melb......no?

did I say trio? I meant quartet.

Bumble

First Grade
I pretty much thought the same actually. :lol:
But as i like souths i wasnt too upset we lost.

Todd Carney was a one man wrecking machine. Pretty much everything he touched that night turned to gold. Problem for the Sharks was that Inglis was exactly the same for us. It was like one on one with 16 man support crew either side. One of the better games of the year imo.

I remember putting a facebook status up when I got home from the game saying "Greg Inglis 34, Todd Carney 28"

:lol: Enjoyed that game thoroughly. Always liked the Sharks.

BranVan3000

Coach
About the go forward issue, it's bloody tough to have go forward with a 1-5 penalty count. When the refs give us a fair go we manage to get the go forward right.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHA...<breath>...HAHAHAHAHA

You make a great point but try taking your own advice.
What has penalty count got to do with it? It's very hard to give away a penalty while in possession of the ball. And if we are expecting penalties to help piggy back us up field in the finals, we are in for a rude awakening.

As much as Souths fans would hate to hear this, because they all believe they are 1-17 local juniors, but they have bought very well. Everingham, McQueen, Inglis, Hunt, King, Crocker, Taylor, Lowe, Burgess, Burgess, Luke, Farrell, just to name a few have been excellent for the team.

BranVan3000

Coach
As much as Souths fans would hate to hear this, because they all believe they are 1-17 local juniors, but they have bought very well. Everingham, McQueen, Inglis, Hunt, King, Crocker, Taylor, Lowe, Burgess, Burgess, Luke, Farrell, just to name a few have been excellent for the team.
I'd be interested to see the number of juniors representing their club in the NRL at the moment. I would imagine we would be right up there, and I doubt any cub would be very large in number

M2D2

Bench
I'd be interested to see the number of juniors representing their club in the NRL at the moment. I would imagine we would be right up there, and I doubt any cub would be very large in number
Brisbane and Warriors would be shoe ins.

Bumble

First Grade

I'd say it's very naive for any club to expect to be able to win a comp without a few acquisitions but the number of juniors (Pettybourne, Reynolds, Merritt, Sutton, Peats, Clark, Starling and I'm sure I've forgotten a few) combined with the blokes that played their first game of first grade with Souths (Luke, McQueen, Tyrrell, Lowe, Hunt, Farrell, Everingham, Areaiiti) is very pleasing.

They have the team to compete... But as a club I'm not so sure if they have the organisation or understanding of what it takes yet. When a club has struggled to win for so long, it can become a difficult assignment. Look how hard it was for St George or even the Roosters to break the drought. Whatever happens, they will be a better side next season.

I agree with this. If we make the finals and bomb it will be disappointing, but it will also feed the hunger for next year. We will be a better side for it.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Have beaten the Dogs, Cowboys & Sharks this year.
So theres 3 wins right there, so to imply they've faltered everytime they have came up against a team with credentials like you did is false.
Sure they allow late points and lose some games and fail to put every team to bed.
But hell, even the dogs allow teams back into matches when it should be all over.

I thought I was pretty clear in referring to the last six weeks. Souths are where they are after capitalising on those last six games (and good on them) but they still don't convince me. That's my opinion.

As for the 'Dogs allowing teams back into matches, the difference between us and Souths so far is that we usually do it in the 40-60 minute period, before drilling it home in the final 20. Souths let it fall late more often than not and as a result their wins haven't been as entirely convincing.

I guess where I'm coming from is I just believe the 'Dogs have beaten a higher calibre of opposition and much of the squad lacks finals experience, at least recently anyway.

Either way Maguire is clearly a sensational coach and will know what headspace to get them into.

M2D2

Bench
I thought I was pretty clear in referring to the last six weeks. Souths are where they are after capitalising on those last six games (and good on them) but they still don't convince me. That's my opinion.

As for the 'Dogs allowing teams back into matches, the difference between us and Souths so far is that we usually do it in the 40-60 minute period, before drilling it home in the final 20. Souths let it fall late more often than not and as a result their wins haven't been as entirely convincing.

I guess where I'm coming from is I just believe the 'Dogs have beaten a higher calibre of opposition and much of the squad lacks finals experience, at least recently anyway.

Either way Maguire is clearly a sensational coach and will know what headspace to get them into.
In the last 6 weeks yeah. But i dont base a whole competition on 6 weeks. If i did that Storm have no chance in September.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Absolutely, and I'm a firm believer that while the Storm CAN do it, I'm not sure they will, as their playing stocks are nothing like they were in previous years (with good reason too).

I think once we hit R25 we'll have a good idea of who's in and out of contention.

alien

Referee
ofcourse souths are serious contenders, but so are the bulldogs, sea eagles and storm

Souths are the team to beat, going 6 straight is no mean feat, in recent weeks they also lost two of their best players in Luke and Inglis yet still won both games.

Souths are the benchmark, especially with their enterprising attack and strong defence.

HowHigh

Coach
I still rate Manly and Storm as the #1 contenders. They have the big game experience and players.
Unfortunately Bulldogs are legit as well and Souths do have a chance but I just can't see them going all the way this year.

Absolutely, and I'm a firm believer that while the Storm CAN do it, I'm not sure they will, as their playing stocks are nothing like they were in previous years (with good reason too).

I think once we hit R25 we'll have a good idea of who's in and out of contention.

It's ok Tim, we get that you think the Dogs are certainties. No need to explain yourself any further.

wibble

Bench
I know the Sharks aren't exactly the benchmark, but that game we beat them in was the best they have played all year and we still got them. They would have beaten any other team in the comp that night imo.

Well, I get your point- Inglis and Carney were both sublime, and Carney would have carried us to a win against most teams that night (if his goal kicking was like it was this week he may even have given us that game), but Inglis showed that while Carney is a star, he is a super star. If Inglis plays like that, Souths can beat anyone.

And the game was furious and full of creativity, but it was hardly either sides best team game, just two great individual games. Gallen was on one leg, Stapleton was out (hardly a star, I know, but much better than the reserves we were fielding that were attacked all night), Tupou was out and Graham wasn't in the form he is in now. We can play much better, and if Carney plays like that and the rest follow, we will go well.

But Souths were great and can play better than they did then too (Burgess was carrying injury too, I believe). Either team would win most games playing like that, but not necessarily finals games.

Back to the topic, Souths are really good to watch, have everything it takes to win, and are definitely the real deal at this stage. We all know it means nothing on Grand Final day how good you were going in round 22, and anything can happen, but Souths are as good a chance as anyone.

They do lack big game experience, especially in the halves (but so did Foran and DCE and look how they went), but have the best player in the game when at his best, and plenty of good players in every position. They have a roster that has some of the best 13th/14th etc picks for a team, so plenty of quality across the park.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Souths are the team to beat, going 6 straight is no mean feat, in recent weeks they also lost two of their best players in Luke and Inglis yet still won both games.

Souths are the benchmark, especially with their enterprising attack and strong defence.
FFS shutup. The Dogs are favourites, the Dogs are 1st on the ladder, the dogs are on a 10 game streak. The dogs are the benchmark at the moment.