What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are there any players from the 80's left?

Bib

Juniors
With Fittler leaving the game i was thinking that they last player to play in the great decade of the 80's had left the game.

Is there anyone who played first grade in the 80's still running around today, i know Luke Rickertson started in 91 but thats the oldest player i can think of

mullup

Juniors
Technically, Darren Smith would be the oldest still going around. He made his Canterbury first-grade debut in 1990, after 4 years playing A-Grade for Brisbane Easts.

Yeah Fittler's retirement brings the end of an era it seems, and it's a credit to his talent, and luck with injuries, that he's still on top today. :clap:

thickos

First Grade
Jason Croker 1990? Not sure on this.

As 1991 is technically the start of the 90's, that would make Toots an 80's boy 8)

wittyfan

Referee
GoTheBears said:
Kearns started in 89 i think but hasnt played nearly as many games as fittler.

Kearns debuted with Cronulla in 1992. I think Fittler is the last one to have played in the 80's.

JJ

Immortal
Didn't Fittler debut for Penrith late in 1990 anyway??

I don't think there is a player left in the comp who played in the 80s including Fittler

JJ

Immortal
RaidersMalt said:
No JJ, Fitler Debuted in 1989, scored a try that year too.

Fair enough - I remember the young kid in the semi series of 90, when Penrith made the Grand Final in the chocolate soldiers uniform.

But now that I think about it, it was 1989 when he first played - late in the year

- I remember him on the wing in one game too!

Moffo

Referee
Buettners been around a bloody long time, so has Senter. But not 80s material

Robbie O would be pretty old wouldn't he?

edabomb

First Grade
thickos said:
Jason Croker 1990? Not sure on this.

As 1991 is technically the start of the 90's, that would make Toots an 80's boy 8)

1991 I believe. Round 3 from memory.

Caged Panther

First Grade
RaidersMalt said:
No JJ, Fitler Debuted in 1989, scored a try that year too.

Yep last or 2nd last round of that year and actually went on to play as the starting five eight in only his 3rd or 4th first grade game ahead of chris mortimer was hugely controversial move by Ron Willey at the time.