What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are we becoming blazé?

I ask the question because of the lack of real comment about the win over the Bullcheats.

In years gone by, a win under those circumstances would be heralded as spectacular..... but these days it is almost as if the win is expected.

Now I know this attitude can be good as well as bad, but I just feel we aren't always celebrating the wins like we used to.

My reasons for being extra happy about the win last weekend are:
  • We won ugly - something we never used to be able to do under coach Brown
  • The Bullcheats had a bye the week before and were fresher than us
  • They scored 3 minutes into the game and never put another point on the scoreboard - an amazing defensive effort in this age of footy
  • We played a prop in the centre and still kept their "wonder boy" Idris quiet
  • The boys NEVER seemed to get out of second gear, but still had enough to smack them
  • We still have a few key players (Smith and maybe Gaz) to return, which can only improve on what is already great
  • I think we played with a limited bench after Costigan got a leg injury (someone might want to correct me on this one)
  • The Bullcheats just cannot play better than they did IMHO and yet we spanked their asses
  • It was their home ground/game
  • The boys looked confident and in control for the bulk of the game.
Seriously, if these things got said in any previous year we would be raving about it for weeks.

So I wonder, are we just getting too used to winning? How great is THAT feeling.....lmao

Since Bennett's rein at the Dragons, expectation for success has risen a great deal, this win last year would have been celebrated, not as much this year though just business as usual for the Saints :)

Godz Illa

Coach
We've collectively become even-tempered and self-assured. It's quite natural for fans to take on the characteristics of their coach. Look at the whiny Cronulla fans as your paradigm

Saintsman

Juniors
Nothing wrong with high expectations. It was a great win and a fantastic performance but now we need to move on to the next task which is beating Canberra. The bar is raised high at St George, that's a good thing. We are a quality team with high expectations these days. The last few years we were inconsistent with expectations we were never really confident of achieving.

dclayw

Juniors
After the minor premiership last year and the fact that we've been leading the comp all this year, the expectations are quite high. But you are right and raise many good points. I think we can improve quite a bit yet and I thought the dogs played their best game of the year and it still wasn't good enough. Bet they would have beaten most other teams on Friday night.

I've seen the second gear comment quite a lot this year, we are 8 from 10 and I really don't think we have hit our straps yet. I do hope we can get out of second gear at some stage, hopefully just before finals time and maintain top gear for a month.

dragonlady53

Juniors
I agree that with high and REALISTIC expectations, a win is just not as exciting as it once was. I used to go to games hoping we'd win, but thinking we most probably wouldn't. To win then was fantastic. Now we expect to win, so it's not as exciting when we do. However, I know which scenario is better in terms of success. One of the prices you have to pay for success, I suppose. Fingers crossed it leads to the only important win of the season. Then it WILL be more exciting and fantastic than we can imagine.

I remember a few weeks ago when the dragons were winning easily, I think it was Sterlo or Gus that said it needs to be done at the pointy end of the season (winning). I feel that others think that we play boring football and that it is expected that we will be there or there abouts, but not go all the way again.
Who cares as long as you are winning.
I went to the west Tigers vs Rabbitohs game yesterday (only because my daughter was dancing at half time with another 500 kids) I would hate to be a West Tigers fan. They have not made the finals since 2005 when they won GF.They will not be there again this year.
At least we know we will be there to make the finals.
Last week was good but expected.
Really, the buldogs are struggling big time with forwards. A few of the forwards they played with last week were coming back from injury. Halatau hasn't really played this year. Cannot see them improving much this year. I disagree with them beating most teams last week

The Bennett factor yes increased expectations.
Didn't Bennett say that he will be here until he wins the comp?

saints81

Juniors
I guess you guys didn't hang around till the end to see all the St. George supporters celebrating after the game...

hardbaby

Coach
I am really pleased with the fact that we win ugly but I am also waiting with baited breath for an improvement in our attack. Or should I say "further improvement" as they are definitely better than last year. But I didn't think it was a great win. I don't think we will win the GF with that type of footy. Stocked to be 8-2 and proud of our performances this year. I am not blase, just not really excited by that performance really. Can't wait to get some of our big guns back. The injuries are a problem and I hope we raise the bar when we are full strength.

big pat

Coach
i can only speculate on what i saw, but evryone that was sitting near the dragon army were very happy when we won, people were clapping, high five's ,when players came over every one was cheering, when the army started leaving, banner waving singing cheering, taunting dog supporters, it was great to be a part of it, they done good.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
No, he said something like it was his aim for the team to deliver a premiership during his three-year tenure.
What he said was "I will be here until the job is done."

When pressed on whether that meant winning a Premiership, he said "Not necessarily."

The key thing for Bennett has been about changing the culture at the club, from the boardroom to the changeroom to the grandstands.

He has achieved a lot in this regard, but still isn't there completely ... for example, Doust is still prone to saying the occasional stupid/unnecessary comment in the media (which is a far cry from his weekly comments in the past!).

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
To the OP,

I disagree that we don't celebrate the wins much -- you should have seen us in the Army on Friday night, it was going off!

One of the things I like most about how we go these days is that pre-game I can catch the bus/train to get to the ground and get respect, so to speak.

A few years back, I would wear my jersey on the bus/train going to the ground, and opposition supporters would love to make some sort of comment about how sh*t we are or how over-rated we are etc etc.

These days, I have the jersey on, and opposition fans don't say a word pre-game ... they KNOW that my team is better than theirs (this applies to at least 12 of the other 15 sides in the comp), and they have nothing to say. In fact, on Friday night, a Bulldogs supporter sat down on the train next to me from Central to Lidcombe, and she spent 10 minutes telling me about how she was convinced that Dragons were going to be too good for the Bulldogs!!

Thanks for the recap about what Bennett said - couldn't remember exactly.

You can see it in the bulldogs supporters eyes, can't you? They know there forward pack could not punch a hole through a wet paper bag. They knew the result before the game started last week.

You guys probably have seen this one before. I was lookin around at things footy and found this link on another forum.
I am not sure how accurate some of the signings are.

http://dazrl.awardspace.info/2010_mov.htm

Latest posts