What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are we doomed?

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Sitting there in the cold on Monday night, looking around, I really got the feeling that this club is just doomed. We don't have an identity and in the cut throat sporting industry that just spells trouble.

We have three home grounds but all are spread out so far away from each other.

Where is our home? What do we stand for?

We have largely been a mess since day one. Yes, we won the competition in 2005 and were reasonably good in 2010 and 2011 but aside from that we have been a big fat failure for our entire existence.

We have a losing culture, a culture of mediocrity.

We have had an inept boardroom since day one, our fans are probably the worst in the NRL, and our membership base and numbers are pathetic.

It's been 15 years and we still can't escape the Wests/Balmain rubbish.

Maybe I'm overreacting due to the current mess but I really don't see many positives. We have some great juniors coming through but unless something drastic changes, I don't see how they won't be wasted.

Matchball

Bench
We are never doomed.
The new independent board should steer us in the right direction but lots of the old heads from either faction need to go. No more division in the boardroom as it filters down to the sycophants with an agenda.

I only see a bright future and some finals football in the years to come.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I hope we are not doomed but we could be getting close. We have some very good young players coming through but if they are not managed and coached well it could all be for nothing.

I can't help but admire how Gould took hold of the Panthers. He got a very good coach in and cleaned the place out. His five year plan has come together sooner than expected. They got rid of players who didn't suit their needs and I know this has partly happened with us but we are still a rabble. I am not suggesting Potter is not the person to coach, but if he is, let him coach with the support of the board.

I don't know who our savious will/could be but gee I'd like someone to come in and get us back on track. If we keep bumbling along like we have been Brooks, Moses and a few others will leave and chase a premiership with a more professional club....

From the very top to the very bottom the club needs to come together and work towards a premiership....not their private and selfish agendas.

Just my thoughts....

Tigers Tale

Juniors
We are never doomed.
The new independent board should steer us in the right direction but lots of the old heads from either faction need to go. No more division in the boardroom as it filters down to the sycophants with an agenda.

I only see a bright future and some finals football in the years to come.

Matchball like you I hope a new board will help and move away from the current factions that are impeding our growth. I will always have a soft spot for Balmain, they were part of my growing up and my love of rugby league BUT as has been said so many time, we are Wests Tigers supporters now days and have been for 15 years....I just wish our heirachy could accept this. :(

Wizardman

First Grade
In the space of less than two weeks, I've been permanently banned from the facebook and WTF forum for speaking my mind about the woes of the club. I have grave fears about the future of the club.
In the existence of the joint venture, it has sorely lacked one essential ingredient.....leadership. They have never really had it...apart from Tim Sheens in the early years of his tenure and Darren Senter onfield (so underrated in the clubs history).

While people give the club a wrap about the future prospects, I believe they have a LONG way to go.

Onfield:
*apart from Tedesco and Nofoaluma....the backs are a complete mess.
*halves (hardest to find) are awesome prospects and need to be kept at all costs.
*some forwards need marching orders...especially the older ones...Blair takes up too much money.

Management is a complete mess. I would

*Throw out the board (especially the bastards from Wests/Balmain).
*CEO must go immediately.
*Unfortunately, the coach must go. I like Potter but too much blood has gone under the bridge. A new coach with new assistants must come in.
*Farah should be stripped off the captaincy. The way he has handled this is nothing short of disgraceful. If he has a cry about it, he can leave. Penrith made similar calls with Luke Lewis which proved to be the right decision. When a player thinks he is bigger than the club, it is time to deal with him. Going to have a cry to the media like he'll do on "The Footy Show" is not the way a captain deals with things.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Simona isn't a mess
Blair and Galloway are off contract next year I believe
I'd keep the coach but let him pick his assistants
Who would replace Farah as captain? The next most experienced senior players at the club are Lawrence, Galloway, Moltzen, Blair, Simona and Woods

Matchball

Bench
Blair has been playing great. His defence against Melbourne was inspiring.
I'd resign him on less money. I doubt others will pay him the overs we did so he could stay.
Grant Mayer is done for me, he isn't the one to take us forward. Maybe he steadied the ship but deep down he is just a yes man.

Wizardman

First Grade
Simona isn't a mess
Blair and Galloway are off contract next year I believe
I'd keep the coach but let him pick his assistants
Who would replace Farah as captain? The next most experienced senior players at the club are Lawrence, Galloway, Moltzen, Blair, Simona and Woods

1. Agree with you on Simona...worth sticking with.
2. Oh great....another year of the redhead powder puff and Adam "Value for money" Blair. Im filled with optimism.
3. Im not against keeping the coach...but geez a lot of damage has been done. Better off to move on.
4. We cannot keep an absolute sook as leader. Groom someone else...Woods mb. Better than a complete wanker who refuses to take responsibility for our clubs plight.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
I know the feeling HT is talking about - seems the club is always on the verge of a bright new era & then it turns to crap. Poor management is the reason, from the top down. Wests & Balmain reps are old school meat raffle dinosaurs. I hope the new board is the change we need - certainly Smith has shown himself to have good ideas about management structures.
I also agree about the lack of a home. Campbelltown isn't working & should be dumped. If that also means dumping Leichhardt then so be it. Play all home games out of Homebush, it's central enough for all fans and has decent transport.
Looking forward to next year ...:?

Wizardman

First Grade
I know the feeling HT is talking about - seems the club is always on the verge of a bright new era & then it turns to crap. Poor management is the reason, from the top down. Wests & Balmain reps are old school meat raffle dinosaurs. I hope the new board is the change we need - certainly Smith has shown himself to have good ideas about management structures.
I also agree about the lack of a home. Campbelltown isn't working & should be dumped. If that also means dumping Leichhardt then so be it. Play all home games out of Homebush, it's central enough for all fans and has decent transport.
Looking forward to next year ...:?

Agree with every word and sentiment

gronkathon

First Grade
We are doomed if the utter f**ktards on the board dreaming of a return to their previous club don't wise up to themselves.

They are making the Wests Tigers a very disposable commodity by turning fans away by feeding and stoking this media shit storm

At the moment our club is unfortunately is a basket case,when you think it can only get better for some reason we seem to sink lower.
The sooner the new board comes in the better off we will be on and off the field.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. Agree with you on Simona...worth sticking with.
2. Oh great....another year of the redhead powder puff and Adam "Value for money" Blair. Im filled with optimism.
3. Im not against keeping the coach...but geez a lot of damage has been done. Better off to move on.
4. We cannot keep an absolute sook as leader. Groom someone else...Woods mb. Better than a complete wanker who refuses to take responsibility for our clubs plight.

2. could be worse, could be 4 years left to go.
3. bit harsh if its not the coaches fault
4. it's very possible that the circus involving the club is not Farah's responsibility. Remember all this crap started when the board refused to re-sign Potter earlier this year. sections of the media claimed it was a player revolt. Now that Robbie has shown his anger at such a claim, the media now says it's an issue in the boardroom. Farah is a scapegoat, not the one who is responsible for all this. He has every right to have the shits.

The media is playing a guessing game and Farah as captain has all of a sudden become the person of focus, when the issue for over a decade has been incompetence by the board.

I have no issue with Farah running off and avoiding the press. I have every issue with the board avoiding the scrutiny of the press (forcing Farah to face it instead) and copping nowhere near the same amount of hatred and criticism that Farah is copping now.

Leadership starts at the top.

Farah is not the top.

Tigerm

First Grade
2. could be worse, could be 4 years left to go.
3. bit harsh if its not the coaches fault
4. it's very possible that the circus involving the club is not Farah's responsibility. Remember all this crap started when the board refused to re-sign Potter earlier this year. sections of the media claimed it was a player revolt. Now that Robbie has shown his anger at such a claim, the media now says it's an issue in the boardroom. Farah is a scapegoat, not the one who is responsible for all this. He has every right to have the shits.

The media is playing a guessing game and Farah as captain has all of a sudden become the person of focus, when the issue for over a decade has been incompetence by the board.

I have no issue with Farah running off and avoiding the press. I have every issue with the board avoiding the scrutiny of the press (forcing Farah to face it instead) and copping nowhere near the same amount of hatred and criticism that Farah is copping now.

Leadership starts at the top.

Farah is not the top.

Agree & just to add to this, why didn't the club step in & say that Robbie was asked not to attend the after match presser?
Why was he put in a position to have to show the text sent to him (from the club media manager) to protect himself & now the club is saying they are not happy with him for doing so, time to go Mayer.

rex2ce

Juniors
Professional leadership is what the club needs, not people with personal agendas, with the talent we have, things will turn around quickly if the front office is pulling the same way as the players

Wizardman

First Grade
Agree & just to add to this, why didn't the club step in & say that Robbie was asked not to attend the after match presser?
Why was he put in a position to have to show the text sent to him (from the club media manager) to protect himself & now the club is saying they are not happy with him for doing so, time to go Mayer.

That is serious bullcrap. The WT media man did NOT ask Robbie not to attend the media presser. That intent of that text was clearly to make things easier for Farah in regards to making a choice to attend the presser or not.

Farah made the choice, he chose not to attend. Instead, the petulant child

1) refused to face the music regarding Monday nights insipid performance, disrespecting the coach, fans and sponsors in the process.
2) made a very childish attempt at leaving the ground.
3) made an attempt to throw the media man / club under the bus by showing the text.
4) giving an interview to Phil Gould instead of sorting these problems out like a real leader would. Cameron Smith would NEVER do this.

Farah is the best player the joint venture ever had. But, he certaintly needs to pull his head in or be shipped out like Luke Lewis did at the Panthers. No player is bigger than the club...not even Robbie.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Farah is the problem, why isn't the CEO or board doing their job & pulling him into line?

My theory - because Farah isn't the problem.

This issue alone shows there is no leadership in regards to the running of the club.

Farah is doing what anyone would do, defending his integrity.

As for comparing it to Smith, that's laughable. Smith has never had a coach trying to run the board, a divided board, or a lily livered CEO to deal with.

ucantseeme

Juniors
Are we doomed? I don't think so. But some of you do.

How about another merger? Wests Tiger Sharks maybe? One more home ground won't make a difference and a bit of blue in the jersey would be okay.

Wizardman

First Grade
If Farah is the problem, why isn't the CEO or board doing their job & pulling him into line?

My theory - because Farah isn't the problem.

This issue alone shows there is no leadership in regards to the running of the club.

Farah is doing what anyone would do, defending his integrity.

As for comparing it to Smith, that's laughable. Smith has never had a coach trying to run the board, a divided board, or a lily livered CEO to deal with.

Simple.... Farah makes all the decisions, CEO won't deal with him because of the dysfunctional board.

If Farah is not the problem, why the hell is he giving an interview to Gould which will do nothing more than add to problems we already have?

Tigerm

First Grade
Thinking about it all, are we doomed?....NO

Just another normal season in the NRL.

Look at the following clubs:

Manly - player issues
Sharks - everything
Raiders - everything
Knights - coach quits
Titans - coach quit/resigned what ever
Broncos - coach sacked
Eels - board issues
Dragons - coach sacked & yet to be replaced
Warriors - coach sacked, have they signed anyone yet?

The only teams that I see are reasonable are: Dogs, Roosters, Souths, Panthers & Storm and they have all had there problems in the past. All up the top of the ladder, winning is everything.