What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are we in for a rude shock this year with our outside back stocks?

Only 1 Round gone but our backline personnel this year suddenly looks very vulnerable after watching what we offered against Newcastle.

Combinations in particular looked disjointed and dare I say we lack threatening speed.

We’ve relied on Barba & Holmes in the backs in the past few years for X factor and game turning abilities with athletic brilliance. These two players were our leading try scorers the past 3 years by a long margin.

We lost from our backline from last year Holmes, Lee, Ramien & Leutele.

We’ve added just Josh Morris to our backline talent.

I can see why we were at one stage chasing Robert Jennings. The loss/gain in this area doesn’t add up.

So the addition of Johnson pushed Moylan to fullback.

Josh Morris takes over from Leutele.

Dugan who only played just over a dozen games last season takes over Ramien’s spot.

Katoa gets promoted to Lee’s wing.

While it remains to be seen if our halves have been strengthened with the addition of Johnson I gotta say we definitely don’t look anywhere near threatening in the outside backs with those changes.

Which leads me to Bronson Xerri who currently isn’t in the team. X factor Xerri, speed, youth & strength. We need him in the team ASAP Mr. John Morris. He’s a missing factor we need in our team. He’s the threat we desperately need. For mine we’ll lack a lot of fear with our backs until he’s in the team.

No panic station yet but yes I agree we are very light on for speed. I'm interested to see how the philosophical change in refereeing will affect strategy though. Short ten, slow play the balls. Watch and wait for a bit I think.

R-15-3

Bench
If Katoa and Feki are our first choice wingers come round 25 I dare say we will be out of the 8 by then.
If Xerri + atleast 1 other outside back leap frog into the backline then we will be ok.

chewsta

First Grade
That young fullback for Newtown would make a cracking winger! I can never remember his bloody name though.

Edit: Kennedy?

It really depends on what you want from your wingers. Unless you have the luxury of having a big body in your team with tremendous speed. Otherwise it is about the brief you are trying to fill.

Card Shark

Immortal
Wingers need to be big bodies.

No one in our club fits this criteria that I can see.

Katoa is not fast & he is not at all big. He has no future im sorry to say.

Ads

First Grade
We missed out big time not getting braidon burns. Was very close to joining us this year.

txta2

Bench
Morris is or was a good finisher.
Dugan is or was a good finisher.
Then you have 3 play makers, well the 7 thinks he is but the team don't listen to him. So if they are gonna keep bombing tries they will keep losing.

SJ needs to be the first receiver on the right side. He can create more opportunities than anyone in the comp. Whether it's carving up the middle or attracting defenders to open up gaps out the back.
The current number 7 doesn't do that.

Just looking at it as losses v gains--not good.Putting my faith in those closer to the team - Morris would be as close to the young blokes as you get...cherry, Kennedy, young flanno ???hopefully they are the goods and are ready soon.

shaggs

Coach
What about that Gideon gela mosby. He moves pretty good.

Must be sick of never getting a game up at Townsville

snout

First Grade
Tits lost both halves.
Beaten by plenty by the Stickmen at home.

If we struggle against this mob its official.
We are poo.