What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are we really that inexperienced?

legend

Coach
I count at least five players with close to or over 100 first grade games under their belt in Tongue, Thompson, Best, Bickerstaff and Graham.

Carney is close to 40 games while Withers is at 53 and believe it or not, this will be Carney''s fourth year in first grade since making his debut against the Dogs back in 2004.

At least we won't be a dads army anymore.:p

edabomb

First Grade
Pretty sure Withers actually played his 100th game earlier in the season. I think it's more a case of inexperience in key positions that the media is making a fuss over.

thickos

First Grade
Yeah I'd say Withers has 53 for the Raiders after barely missing a game in 2005-06 and playing a handful of matches for us in 2000. He's well over 100 now.

I don't think we're that inexperienced, just lacking in key positions. At fullback we have 230+ game Schifcofske being replaced by Chalk (30-ish), Zillman (3) or Goodwin (0). In the halves - again Zillman (3), Dobson (NRL = 0). Smith had been playing NRL for 17 years - while it is time for generational change you can't buy experience like that.

I also tip Croker to be the most heavily missed, primarily due to his defensive workload around the fringes.

Timbo

Staff member
And Dobson isn't that bad either-20 odd games in the ESL counts for something.

twistedbydesign

Juniors
Agreed with thickos et al. re the lack of experience in the key positions. I think it's also notable that there will be a lot of new combinations in these positions, which take time to build regardless of the skill and experience of the individuals.

Whilst there may be plenty of talent in our squad we have to concede that there isn't one player among the top echelon of the comp, whereas last year there was Shif as well as Smith and Toots who, whilst well past their prime, had been top line performers for a long period of time. I think it stands to reason that a squad without any big names is going to be written off by the media and the wider rugby league public, most of us would probably do the same if it were another club, however I don't think this is going to be at all detrimental to our chances next year.

well probably be spoon favs by some again which makes me laugh since the side we put on the feild will be very competitive,I reckon this year will be great having carney lead us around the paddock as he is improving every year he plays