What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

arl announcements

dimitri

First Grade
today the arl has announced that

*wayne bennet will be test coach

and

*the anzac test will be played on april 23 at newcastle

ibeme

First Grade
I think Newcastle have earned the test match, but I suspect this game will draw more attention this year than in previous years, and could pull a decent crowd. I hope the ARL haven't sold themselves short.

Jeffles

Bench
What will the capacity of Neqwcastle be.

As much as they have "earned" the match, the ARL would be selling themselves short if they cannot get at least 25,000 into Newcastle. Sure I see the benefit of wanting to play in a regional centre (sell out, promotion, etc). So why not Townsville (bigger ground and it's in QLD).

DIEHARD

----
This is shithouse. The test match should have been at Brisbane. The Kangaroos should be treated like the Wannabies. Play at big stadiums and go for big crowds. We could have gotten 40,000 for sure, which would have been great for international rl. And Brisbane hasn't had a test match in 5 years and the one before that was years before that.

A 25,000 sell out just seems weak. Even though it is going to a deserving RL city. I just wish there were more internationals in Australia to go around. So Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Townsville and Newcastle can all get a fair turn.

Ill still be driving down to see the Kangaroos. But Im so dissapointed they wont be in my backyard at Lang Park. :cry:

As Steve sums up. The game goes to a deserving RL city and the advantages include better crowds for big matches in Brisbane and Sydney but overall is a step backwards. I couldn't agree more.

carlnz

Bench
I would of thought it should have been played in NZ, I'm unsure how big ANZAC day is over your way but over here it is masive. And this is on thing Rugby League has over Rugby....and would deffently drw 25,000 in NZ.

I hope you Aussies get out there and support this game, this is going to be a close and a great game to watch....

DIEHARD

----
You already have a game scheduled later in the year. Piss off you are getting the Anzac test you greedy Kiwi. We are the largest RL nations but get crap all tests. It's ours! Anzac day here is a massive affair, the vets may be getting less and less every year but the number of people turning out for the marches get bigger and bigger in recent years.

Newcastle will sell out 25,000 over night. Im glad they resurrected the match. They replaced it with a dragons v rooster match in recent years. Something that means nothing to someone who lives in Brisbane or other cities or people in New Zealand.

griff

Bench
Diehard said:
This is shithouse. The test match should have been at Brisbane. The Kangaroos should be treated like the Wannabies. Play at big stadiums and go for big crowds. We could have gotten 40,000 for sure, which would have been great for international rl. And Brisbane hasn't had a test match in 5 years and the one before that was years before that.

A 25,000 sell out just seems weak. Even though it is going to a deserving RL city. I just wish there were more internationals in Australia to go around. So Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Townsville and Newcastle can all get a fair turn.

Ill still be driving down to see the Kangaroos. But Im so dissapointed they wont be in my backyard at Lang Park. :cry:

As Steve sums up. The game goes to a deserving RL city and the advantages include better crowds for big matches in Brisbane and Sydney but overall is a step backwards. I couldn't agree more.

In a perfect world, it would have been better to have it in Brisbane. But unfortunately it would have been on the same weekend as Brisbane v Penrith. Two big games of football on the one weekend would have reduced the crowd for the test match and the club game would have overshadowed the international. This is not the message we want to portray.

Newcastle is a good compromise choice, it will be a certain sell-out and a fitting match for the refurbishments of the stadium. I would have liked to have seen the match in Canberra, but I'm biased.

It would have been better to plan ahead and have made sure the test match was in place early on. This whole episode demonstrates two things - 1) how poorly organised and re-active the international game is, with a complete lack of forward planning, and 2) the problems with having two governing bodies not being able co-ordinate their schedules.

A single governing body, or more forward thinking international administrators, and this would have been the only game in Brisbane that weekend with a massive crowd in attendence.

Another thing, the last test in Brisbane was the first Aus v GB game in Australia in 7 years, and got only 12,000 people, so I'm not sure how confident you should be about your 40,000 figure.

dimitri

First Grade
why didnt the arl/nrl look at selling the two games as a package in brisbane

one ticket for two games

perhaps also including train transport (hopefully better than sydney trains)

also combine the marketing and advertising

INITIATIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

playdaball

Bench
carlnz said:
I would of thought it should have been played in NZ, I'm unsure how big ANZAC day is over your way but over here it is masive. And this is on thing Rugby League has over Rugby....and would deffently drw 25,000 in NZ.

I hope you Aussies get out there and support this game, this is going to be a close and a great game to watch....

NZ will have a game in October.

Jeffles

Bench
It should sell out. That's not the point. The point is the ARL ghave not taken the game to new people. With all due respect to Newcastle, it is still close to (Sydney relatively speaking). This portion of Oz has had the mortgage on Tests for the past few years. This is hardly spreading out. We also have a match being played at a ground that has not finished its refurbishment. Hardly appealig to sponsors and players.

Queensland was crying out for a Test. I'd have given it to Brisbane (major centre) or if the ARL wanted regional centre that would sell out, I'd have chosen Townsville.

Fampa

Juniors
Well we all saw last year how well NSW crowds get behind a test match.

Again Brisbane has to suffer through more Wallaby games than Kangaroos.

DIEHARD

----
Yea I would have loved to have seen a test up in Townsville. Gee we really need more tests, a few we can take to capitals and a few we can take to regional centres.

Alan Shore

First Grade
We need to establish a 3-Test ANZAC Test Series with the Tests to be rotated between the following venues:

Suncorp
Dairy Farmers
EnergyAustralia
SFS
Bruce Stadium
Telstra Dome

mono_mal

Juniors
im also dissapointed at this decision by the ARL and feel they have really taken a step backwards.
of course they now have a definate sell out though Townsville would have offered the same and have a higher capacity.
on top of this at least a game wouldve been taken to Queensland.
but really what im disapointed with is the ARL's lack of initiative, if they really want to re establish the Kangaroos and international league they should be trying to take forward steps.
of course Newcastle deserves a Test though why not a Test against PNG, France, Wales or a combined Pacific team?
they would certainly sell out the ground for these matches as they did years ago for a match against Fiji so why arent the ARL taking our showpiece games to major cities?
the ARL has done nothing to re establish international league and the Kangaroos by again neglecting Queensland and also neglecting the major cities.

griff

Bench
The real problem is the lack of forward planning.

Sydney, Brisbane, Newcastle, Townsville, Canberra, Perth and Melbourne all deserve to host test matches. If we knew a few years in advance how many tests Australia will play, the matches could be better distributed across the venues. We need to plan ahead so we have a certain number each year.

We need decent forward planning and more test matches - whether it is Newcastle or Townsville or wherever isn't the real issue and doesn't really make any long-term difference.

Jeffles

Bench
You said it Griff.

The Wallabies schedule has been out for yonks. Since the end of last year, they've announced date and venue. This gives their fans plenty of time to buy tickets, book nannies, hire limos (if their BMW is in service), dry clean their complimentary yellow scarf, purchase a new tie, etc etc.

The Roos international schedule (Tri Series and all) should be released around the time of the NRL and Superleague draw. I'm sick of waiting until 2 months out.

DIEHARD

----
Jeffles said:
This gives their fans plenty of time to buy tickets, book nannies, hire limos (if their BMW is in service), dry clean their complimentary yellow scarf, purchase a new tie, etc etc.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Pretty much sums up their fan base! Got to love their complimentary yellow scarfs.

carlnz

Bench
Diehard said:
You already have a game scheduled later in the year. Piss off you are getting the Anzac test you greedy Kiwi. We are the largest RL nations but get crap all tests. It's ours! Anzac day here is a massive affair, the vets may be getting less and less every year but the number of people turning out for the marches get bigger and bigger in recent years.

Newcastle will sell out 25,000 over night. Im glad they resurrected the match. They replaced it with a dragons v rooster match in recent years. Something that means nothing to someone who lives in Brisbane or other cities or people in New Zealand.

How the hell are we greedy?? We get 12 Warriors games (plus one if another NRL team plays there home game in NZ) Plus one league test!! How many games to you guys get in Sydney per year?

Why do you think NZRL wasent going to sign to play up in the tri-series unless we got a home test? Why do you think we want another team in the NRL? This country deserves more games, hence why 21,500 people turned out in Waikato to watch a PRESEASON game in a rugby strong hold area?

Hopefully we get the ANZAC test next year, and lets hope we get Tonga or PNG come over and play us before the Test match against the Kangaroos, because you can beat you will get a good sized Attn for that

Latest posts