What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARLC Advancing RL

siv

First Grade
At this stage I am more in favour of WARL, VRL, NTRL, SARL running in a 3rd tier state

At a similar level to all of the A grades and Group competitions

I think if developed correctly the NSW Cup (or Southern League) and the QLD Cup (Northern League) can be setup as a true Tier 2 comp with the winners playing off on GF day

It would be much better after that for a PNGRL Premiers, NZRL Premiers, OZ Tier 2 Premiers, French RL premiers playoff in a Emerging WCC

OR we could establish a Midweek kockout comp

Top 4 NSW Cup / Top 4 QLD Cup / Top 4 NZRL Cup / Top 2 PNG Cup join with teh NRL clubs in a 32 team knock out

With the winner playing off with the Challenge Cup winner in Hong Kong or Dubai

Knownothing

Juniors
Nice idea but how do you get a private school with a clear prejudice against RL to... start playing RL? It's actually getting harder to get public schools in heartland areas to play the game.

Catherine Harris has the background to understand the situation with GPS schools. She had five sons at Riverview, and she watched them play every Saturday, and stayed on to watch the First XV as well, apparently, even before her sons reached that level.

Not sure whether any of the other commissioners have had a GPS involvement. Incidentally, her grandfather (Italo Rossi) was a Wallaby, and one of her sons played for the Australian Schools team.

There was a very interesting interview in the Sydney Morning Herald a couple of Saturdays ago, it is easy to find in the archives.

Perth Red

Post Whore
At this stage I am more in favour of WARL, VRL, NTRL, SARL running in a 3rd tier state

At a similar level to all of the A grades and Group competitions

It's interesting talking to some of the olde timers here about teh WARL comp pre SL. Clubs used to have incomes around $200k a year, would get a couple of thousand to games and be signing players from state comps and even some fringe/retiring Winfield cup players! The leagie was extremely strong and going great places. The introduction of the Reds actually did quite a lot of damage as a lot of sponsors of the WARL clubs went to the Reds instead and the fans drifted awya from WARL games to ARL games. The SL happened and a lot of good people in the game got disenfranchised and walked away, clubs with 40 years history closed down and those that survived barely made it through that 97-2005 period. Things are climbing again but still a long long way to go to get back to those early 90's days.

One day I hope to see a 12 team WARL state wide comp with strong well supported clubs with much bigger jnr bases. It is one reason it is essential the WARL are heavily involved in any future NRL team and not some mining rich man and Eastern states businessman who fancies running a NRL team.