What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Around the Grounds

we just dont have the cattle.

Spine - Fringe first graders in the halves, a rookie FB, and a hooking rotation ft a guy just learning the trade and a bloke that's a bottom 8 hooker.

I'm expecting big changes come seasons end. New recruitment dude and clearing a shit load of deadwood to fix the pear shaped cap expenditure.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
The current Dally M holder being out injured probably has something to do with our attack stuttering. Also the fact that Hastings is playing on one leg, Gamble is injured and the guy we brought in to be the back-up for those two turns out to be just as shit as he was when he left the club…

perverse

Referee
The current Dally M holder being out injured probably has something to do with our attack stuttering. Also the fact that Hastings is playing on one leg, Gamble is injured and the guy we brought in to be the back-up for those two turns out to be just as shit as he was when he left the club…
Yep. All of this. Honestly I feel like we've over achieved since we lost both Kalyn and Gamble. There's still a lot to fix even with them in the team, but having them both out amplifies all those problems x10.

You take half of most teams spine out for most of the year they'll struggle. Look at the difference in Brisbane without Reynolds... and they have a hell of a squad otherwise. I wasn't sure we'd win another game once Kalyn went down, and we won 4 on the trot and still see hope in winning games. We're not going that bad, there's just some stuff to fix up. We need some luck with injuries, but so does everyone.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
I think the biggest difference is Dom to be honest. Well maybe Dom next to KP.
When we had a set going nowhere, how often did Dom get a 10-15 run with a quick PTB? It got the rest of the team on the front foot, Marzhew could go next against a retreating line. Then the Safs were facing the same and finally our halves and spine as a whole could play on the front foot.

We sorely miss that work with our average pack. We also don't have anyone who can take a loose ball and go 100m, but I think the yardage work Dom did and the compounding effect on the team is the biggest loss.

The ability to play so often on the front foot had the team playing on easy mode. It made everyone look better.
Now playing on more level footing or even negative sets, we are just an average team without the players who can turn a set. Now we need a better kicking game and that's exposed. Now we need more pure go forward from our pack and that is exposed.

isaiah

Bench
I think the biggest difference is Dom to be honest. Well maybe Dom next to KP.
When we had a set going nowhere, how often did Dom get a 10-15 run with a quick PTB? It got the rest of the team on the front foot, Marzhew could go next against a retreating line. Then the Safs were facing the same and finally our halves and spine as a whole could play on the front foot.

We sorely miss that work with our average pack. We also don't have anyone who can take a loose ball and go 100m, but I think the yardage work Dom did and the compounding effect on the team is the biggest loss.

The ability to play so often on the front foot had the team playing on easy mode. It made everyone look better.
Now playing on more level footing or even negative sets, we are just an average team without the players who can turn a set. Now we need a better kicking game and that's exposed. Now we need more pure go forward from our pack and that is exposed.
Which page of 92 did this thread change from outward looking to navel gazing?

Yosh

Coach
Real pity we got no one playing Origin this year. Even during the lean years we had one or two. How far we have fallen. Was fun to watch our guys play well against the best.

Rod

Bench
It's probably better for the club ultimately if we have a few fringe guys who don't actually play (e.g. Best, Gagai) but agreed, it does add a layer of excitement when KP had a couple of Origin blinders for example.

Knight Tales

Bench
Walsh won’t be keeping Kalyn out of this side next year Ben Hunt should be in the halves in the second half. Leave Harry out there at dummy half.

Last edited:

Nuke

Staff member
KP cemented his place as a class above Walsh last year when the cocky prettyboy decided to run it straight at Ponga in the Knights-Broncos game and KP snapped him in half. The only time I can recall KP doing that to anyone.

It's probably better for the club ultimately if we have a few fringe guys who don't actually play (e.g. Best, Gagai) but agreed, it does add a layer of excitement when KP had a couple of Origin blinders for example.
"Better for the club" ? - It means we suck, our roster isnt good enough.

Winners playing with other winners ultimately bring more of those winning ways back to club land.

Rod

Bench
"Better for the club" ? - It means we suck, our roster isnt good enough.

Winners playing with other winners ultimately bring more of those winning ways back to club land.
Yep I know what you mean. Origin just disrupts this whole time of the season clubwise. It's also not as important as it used to be given the amount of guys who don't even qualify (e.g. Leo). The Sharks didn't have anyone playing last night either and they're going alright.

You're right though it's probably better overall if they're in that environment, especially guys like Best.

Last edited:

Latest posts