What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Around the Grounds

perverse

Referee
The old man was brought back to the Knights to help mentor the young outside backs at the club especially Best.
There was a play in the 1st half where Best initially missed a tackle on DCE but he didn’t give up on the play and kept on chasing infield causing a turnover.
I rewind you back to round 26 last year against the Sharks with a home final on the line.
The old man chased the Shark players from one sideline to the other and caused a turnover.
We all knew Best had the talent but it was the effort areas in his game that were lacking.
Best is now an origin player.
Good on him.

On the game; the old man was always going to struggle if the forwards were getting monstered and QLD constantly playing on the back foot.
He did well to hang in there in the toughest arena with 26 tackles with 4 missed. Best made 14 tackles with 7 missed.
But in the end the old man was cooked by the 60th and didn’t have the gas.
I thought Hammer looked as cooked, he got stood up by Crichton in the corner and then he missed his assignment on Moses try.
As they say forwards wins games, backs decides how much.
How Billy didn’t pick Fifta is mind boggling.
The old boy has nothing left to prove mate. He's done us good. If we manage to get one more good year out of him we've done exceptionally well from here, that would be the cherry on top.

It's up to the club to have a good succession plan for him now and ease in some new talent. Given that we had to run Cant in the centres last week, I'd say there's a lot of work to do in that respect. Schiller might be the one. I don't think anyone currently at the club is the answer.

Woosh

Head Moderator
The old boy has nothing left to prove mate. He's done us good. If we manage to get one more good year out of him we've done exceptionally well from here, that would be the cherry on top.

It's up to the club to have a good succession plan for him now and ease in some new talent. Given that we had to run Cant in the centres last week, I'd say there's a lot of work to do in that respect. Schiller might be the one. I don't think anyone currently at the club is the answer.

If Schiller’s cousin Jack Hetherington gets moved on it would make things awkward/interesting.
Maps was the big hope but he’s more a utility.
He looked okay on the weekend on the wing.

perverse

Referee
If Schiller’s cousin Jack Hetherington gets moved on it would make things awkward/interesting.
Maps was the big hope but he’s more a utility.
He looked okay on the weekend on the wing.
Not a fan of Maps at this stage, he just hasn't shown anything to suggest he's a first grader and has been around a long time. I suspect injuries have cruelled any chance at a first grade career he may have had. Has he been killing it in Cup this year or something? I just don't see an NRL player in him. If it's there, he's hiding it well. I'd play him in first grade over Jenkins, but that's really not saying anything at all.

If Schiller prioritizes his fee fee's for his cousin over carving an NRL career for himself then he's a moron.

Woosh

Head Moderator
Maps needs another couple more off-seasons to add more size to his frame if he is going to ever make it as an outside back in the NRL.
He came through the juniors as a fullback/5-8th so adding size was never a priority.
Doubt he’s going to get re-signed anyways.
I don’t think he’s that talented enough for the club to wait for him to fill out.

From the games I see from Schiller he looks more like a winger but centres gets paid more.
He’s quick enough but he’s not electric like some reports.
He couldn’t keep up with Timoko on an intercept against the Broncos early in the year and he couldn’t chase down Jaxson Paulo from an intercept in NSW Cup.
I wouldn’t call either those players speedsters.

I am sure O'Sullivan has someone in mind. He didn’t mind paying for Farnworth/Averillo.
Staggs can talk to other clubs from Nov 1st.
Newcastle almost had him over the line last time he was off contract.
Anything north of 600k would be overs for him though.

Rod

Bench
Yeah Nanai was at fault for the break but Gags probably should’ve done a better job on Best.
Funny how people are singling out Gagai and Ponga although I guess it's the better storyline. Gagai should have made the tackle but he's far from the only person to get palmed off by Best.

And at least Ponga got there to make the tackle playing lock. Watch Walsh during that play lol.

perverse

Referee
A freight train would not have stopped Bradman scoring that try once he had the ball firm in his grasp. The only people in the game with the strength and weight to stop him would not have had the speed or endurance to be anywhere near the play.

Yosh

Coach
Not whining or anything but Best has been the best centre in both Origin games he has played. Both games he played outside a skillful half (Luai and Cody) who have complimented him perfectly. Maybe just maybe we can try Pryce out on the left for a while? See if he and Best can form a combination??