What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arthur Beetson 7th Immortal

Anonymous

Juniors
Beetson the Seventh Immortal
Written by: Matt Starkey
23/9/03 www.leagueunlimited.com

Queensland rugby league legend Arthur Beetson has been inducted as the sport's Seventh Immortal.

One of the greatest attacking forwards the game has produced, Beetson played three games for Queensland - including the first Origin game - and 14 Tests for Australia.

He's best remembered for being plucked out of reserve grade with Parramatta to captain the Maroons in the inaugural Origin clash in 1980, leading his home state to a 20-10 victory.

He joins Clive Churchill, Reg Gasnier, John Raper, Bob Fulton, Graeme Langlands and Wally Lewis. The former Test and Queensland captain was named for the honour in Sydney tonight as part of the Footy Show Awards.

Ian Heads was Rugby League Week editor when he conceived the idea of Rugby League Immortals 22 years ago. Heads was also part of the panel that chose Beetson as the Seventh Immortal ahead of players such as Mal Meninga, Ken Irvine, Steve Rogers and Peter Sterling.

The other panel members were current RLW editor Martin Lenehan, Norman Tasker, Ray Warren, David Middleton and Geoff Prenter.

Southernsaint

Staff member
I was hoping for Norm Provan, but Beetson is still a great choice, in my opinion. A great servant to Queensland, Australia & the clubs he played for.

Cheers,
Ben S.

Anonymous

Juniors
Norm Provan is most definitely worthy but to have a 4th St George legend included probably worked against Sticks.

It had to be a forward and Big Artie was always short odds to get the nod.

JJ

Immortal
Good choice - but then any of the nominated players would have been good choices.

Personally I'd have been tempted to go for Sterling or Provan (but as has been pointed out, 4 Dragons might not look too good).

I'd really like to see Sterling there at some stage.

half

Coach
it was good to see a a parra legend in artie beetson get it

but i was really hoping for sterlo or cronin or hindy

ozzie

Bench
got to laugh - a parra legend - hmm - what about Balmain and the Roosters...

maybe you want to claim Jayson Cayless as a Parramatta legend too along with Robinson and WIDDERS and SOLOMANO and RUSSO!!

Southernsaint

Staff member
ozzie said:

maybe you want to claim Jayson Cayless as a Parramatta legend too along with Robinson and WIDDERS and SOLOMANO and RUSSO!!

I wonder why Bob Fulton - the Manly legend - wasn't there last night??

Cheers,
Ben S.

The Colonel

Immortal
ozzie said:

You lot claim Fittler as a Roosters Legend so whats the difference?

Would claim Jason Cayless however you can keep Robinson cos he still sucks like he did when he was at the Eels.

half

Coach
ozzie said:
well parra claims jason taylor's goal-kicking record

so i'll claim artie too \\:D/

The Colonel

Immortal
No matter who he played for the man is an absolute legend - Qld, NSW (he pulled on the Blue jersey b4 SOO) , Balmain, Roosters and to a lesser extent the Eels....

Noel

Juniors
Southern Saint was wondering why Bob Fulton wasn't in attendance for such an important occasion. My only guess is that he did not want to appear on Fatty's show due to a long-running fued.

XXXX

Juniors
Found memories of Beetson ,Fairfax and Harris .That was a different era-IMO real entertaining .Which era do people believe was the better to watch ?

Raider_69

Post Whore
IMO i think you could make a case for all nominees, it really would have been a hard decision.... no matter what it was, i dont think you find to many that disagree

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I was hoping for Brett Kenny or Sterlo but the we got ANOTHER PARRAMATTA LEGEND in Arthur Beetson wining the award.

Great to see such a Parramatta legend wining it.

Would be great next time to see another Parramatta legend win it!!

Latest posts