What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Article linking Lyon with the Raiders from the SMH

woodgers

Bench
How can we be in a position where the best centre in the world is OFFERING services and we still can't be arsed to do anything about it. If it is true, and we don't have any money, you will never have seen Woodgers angrier. He has to go Hawkins, this could be the only thing that saves him.

lotm, he was on $250,000 pa at Parra. We could offer him less and he would be keen I suggest. Also, some don't like the idea of deferred payments however I would be happy if the club got him like the Roosters and Chris Walker i.e we pay him $100,000 next year on the promise that he will be uped the year after when there is more money. And yes lotm, it is management's fault. They should be no where near $3.25 mill. If they are then we have the most overpaid players in the league at a club that no one wants to come to.

Anything. I don't care. Just get him.

skeepe

Immortal
woodgers, one thing that you need to remember is that the NRL is now REQUIRING clubs spend at least $3mil of their salary cap per season. With this in mind, and the Raiders management not considering the idea that Lyon may be able to come play for us next season, they would have had to offer contracts to the players that we have coming that would have at least reached that figure.

Considering that, it is very easy to see how we could be near the cap. This isn't managements fault this time, blame Manly for making the NRL bring in this stupid rule.

brenno

Juniors
How are the raiders not signficantly under the 3.25 cap for next season after losing Davico, Wiki & Drew who all would have been on around 150-200 k plus a season. Losing Joel Monaghan would have taken some money off the cap also. I'll be pissed with management if i find out that they spent anything over 150 k each on Smith, Frawley and Adamson. I think if anything, the raiders are worried about retaining the likes of Hindmarsh, schif, woolford, & o'hara for next season.

Edwahu

Bench
You dont turn down the opportunity to sign one of the best centers in the world. You fit him in. Our forwards will be allright, there are plenty of good workhorses coming through and Weyman will be the best prop in the world if he stays fit.

thickos

First Grade
Dirk DIGgler said:
I'd clear out half the roster for Lyon.

He's better than any player we have.

Fair call. If Ruben was staying he would still be No. 1 in my books, but I agree with everyone else - unload the underperformers and bring some class to Canberra 8)

Bay56

First Grade
brenno said:
How are the raiders not signficantly under the 3.25 cap for next season after losing Davico, Wiki & Drew who all would have been on around 150-200 k plus a season. Losing Joel Monaghan would have taken some money off the cap also. I'll be pissed with management if i find out that they spent anything over 150 k each on Smith, Frawley and Adamson. I think if anything, the raiders are worried about retaining the likes of Hindmarsh, schif, woolford, & o'hara for next season.

Dont forget J.Evans and Payten.

frank

Juniors
Hindy's got a property out here near Cowra somewhere I've heard.

We're only 2 hours from Canberra, so Jamie and him can come out and shoot as many defenseless animals as they want.

And if Jamie really misses pouring schooners, I'm pretty sure I can line him up a nightshift at the Lachlan Hotel.

All this AND a green jersey!
What more could he want?

GreenGuy

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't have much room under the cap. Reason? I'd put money on us paying way over the odds on most of the recent signings we have made...

azza

Juniors
They should get Simon Hawkins to do one of those mastercard ads where they end with "priceless".

Raider Azz

Bench
kris_man said:
- If we get Lyon, then players off contract next year will have reason to want to stay.
-Except there will be no money to sign them, as we'd have SPENT it all on Lyon...

azza

Juniors
If we got Lyon (which we won't) I wouldn't mind letting go of an outside back, probably not Graham though.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Regarding the question of deferred payments from 2005 to 2006, keep in mind that we will have two one year signings coming off contract hten - Smith and Adamson. That will free up more than enough to pay some kind of bonus to Lyons.

Would love to see this happen.

woodgers

Bench
Me too Tokyo. However he is a really top player, so why would we have a go at him? Surely Hawkins has his eye on someone who plays Flegg for Balmain or the Halifax reserve winger.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I posted this on rleague but i'll do it here too. Damn site is alwyas down :evil:

Gains:
Matt Adamson
Jason Smith
Howell Brothers
Jermaine Ale
Bronx Goodwin
Craig Frawley

Losses:
Luke Davico
Joel Monaghan
Ruben Wiki

(ARGUABLY our three most talented players in our squad when in prime form)

This is comparable to the Broncos losing Webke, Tallis and Tate or the Saints losing Ryles, Gasnier and Kite or the Roosters losing Hodges, Fitzgibbon and Morley.

If we dont have enough money under the cap to offer Jamie Lyon a reasonable contract because management went out and splashed it on unproven PL players then that'll do me.

NOTE TO ELLIOT: We have magnificent junior talent here aleady. Carney, Weyman, Milne, Purtell, Alwyn Simpson, Kahler, Rothery, Miller etc. These guys are not being given a chance in the top grade because elliot would rather persist with using dead wood like T. Smith, Bulgarelli and co.

My complaint is this. If the raiders had no junior talent then I would be fine with management looking for some depth. But the fact of the matter is we have an array of talent that is still unproven in Premier League. Names that I mentioned above.

Look at it this way. Next year we are going in without Davico, Wiki, Monas, Drew and Evans. The first 4 are probably in the top 10 paid.

Imagine a backline next year consisting of:

1.Schif
2.Graham
3.Mogg
4.Lyon
5.Frawley
6.Mclinden
7.Carney

Um Jammer Lammy

Juniors
I haven't looked whos contracts end next year but for straight substitution Mogg can go he good and all but LYON!! Bulgarelli, Martin, Thompson we don't really need them with Rothery, Kahler, Weyman, Miller etc.

1. Shifcofske
2. Graham
3. Lyon
4. Frawley
5. Gafa

That looks good for mine.