What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
:
Jun 23, 2009
New
trial-v-knights---twitter.jpg

PRE-SEASON TRIALS

Dragons announce Knights trial, fan day
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 9 Jan 2019, 10:00 AM

The St George Illawarra Dragons will face the Newcastle Knights in a pre-season trial match on Saturday, February 23 at Jubilee Stadium, Kogarah.

All three senior grades will feature throughout the afternoon, with first grade to commence at 6:30pm.

Each club's first official hit out for 2019 will also double as a rugby league fan day involving Dragons player appearances and family friendly activities.

The fan day will kick off at 2pm on the training ground behind the eastern hill of Jubilee Stadium; the day's on-field action will start at 2:15pm with the Jersey Flegg trial.

Only general admission tickets will be available to be purchased at Gates A and D on the day for $10. Children (up to the age of 14) can enter for free.

Event details –

St George Illawarra Dragons v Newcastle Knights
Saturday, February 23
Jubilee Stadium, Kogarah

Key timings –

2pm: Gates open
2:15pm: Jersey Flegg kick-off
4:15pm: Intrust Super Premiership kick-off
6:30pm: NRL kick-off

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/01/09/dragons-announce-knights-trial-fan-day/

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
:
Jun 23, 2009
New
trial-v-knights---twitter.jpg

PRE-SEASON TRIALS

Dragons announce Knights trial, fan day
Author
Timestamp
Wed 9 Jan 2019, 10:00 AM

The St George Illawarra Dragons will face the Newcastle Knights in a pre-season trial match on Saturday, February 23 at Jubilee Stadium, Kogarah.

All three senior grades will feature throughout the afternoon, with first grade to commence at 6:30pm.

Each club's first official hit out for 2019 will also double as a rugby league fan day involving Dragons player appearances and family friendly activities.

The fan day will kick off at 2pm on the training ground behind the eastern hill of Jubilee Stadium; the day's on-field action will start at 2:15pm with the Jersey Flegg trial.

Only general admission tickets will be available to be purchased at Gates A and D on the day for $10. Children (up to the age of 14) can enter for free.

Event details –

St George Illawarra Dragons v Newcastle Knights
Saturday, February 23
Jubilee Stadium, Kogarah

Key timings –

2pm: Gates open
2:15pm: Jersey Flegg kick-off
4:15pm: Intrust Super Premiership kick-off
6:30pm: NRL kick-off

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/01/09/dragons-announce-knights-trial-fan-day/

"All three senior grades will feature throughout the afternoon,
with first grade to commence at 6:30pm."

........As it should be all the time.

BLM01

First Grade

"All three senior grades will feature throughout the afternoon,
with first grade to commence at 6:30pm."

........As it should be all the time.
100% agree OKB. And if money is the issue let the NRL and NSWRL & QRL part pay for the extra teams to fly here there and everywhere. NSW currently have a NZ side so those sides fly overseas anyway. They wanted the comp to be expanded into NZ, Pacific Islands and rest of Australia and get a huge pay cheque now for TV rights. It might stop the NRL and some NRL clubs wasting money on building their own fancy admin Ceasar Palace empires and wasting money on external sources.
And just maybe...crowds might improve as get to watch 3 grades and Under 19's / 20's players and get a bit more value for their $$.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
100% agree OKB. And if money is the issue let the NRL and NSWRL & QRL part pay for the extra teams to fly here there and everywhere. NSW currently have a NZ side so those sides fly overseas anyway. They wanted the comp to be expanded into NZ, Pacific Islands and rest of Australia and get a huge pay cheque now for TV rights. It might stop the NRL and some NRL clubs wasting money on building their own fancy admin Ceasar Palace empires and wasting money on external sources.
And just maybe...crowds might improve as get to watch 3 grades and Under 19's / 20's players and get a bit more value for their $$.

Precisely BLM01.
It makes too much sense..... so it won't happen .

getsmarty

Immortal
The Dragons' conundrum of what to do with Corey Norman?

The St George Illawarra Dragons had a close look at Jarryd Hayne until he faced criminal charges last year. Now they have signed Corey Norman, so it is clear that the Dragons were after a playmaker to cover the uncertainty regarding Gareth Widdop continuing with the club.

But now they have another playmaker on the books what do they do with Corey Norman?
If Widdop is leaving in 2020 then the Dragons clearly need to play Corey Norman in the Halves, which presumably means that Widdop will go to fullback forcing the incumbent Dufty out of that position.

Norman did not have a good year by his standards in 2018, but he clearly has an attacking spark which could lift the Dragons in 2019. Dufty showed great speed from fullback last year and for a small player was able to demonstrate substantial durability over the season.

At the very least, it is clear that Dragons have great depth now in the halves, but they also have the ability to switch and swap players from fullback into the halves during a game which should give them a depth of attacking options.

But all this leaves Dufty either playing in the ISP, on the wing like ex-Dragons great slippery Morris or coming off the bench as an impact player with his acceleration against tiring opponents.

Apart from height – or rather lack of it, I fancy Dufty as a winger who can come in-field during the game to try to make a break when the opportunity arises. Putting Dufty on the bench is in my view – not the preferred alternative.

Otherwise, the Dragons are essentially the same team as last year but one year wiser and perhaps stronger and more confident, but the sexual assault charges hanging over Dragons forward De Belin will obviously be a major distraction during the season, which they tried to avoid by not hiring Hayne.

With Widdop currently a captain, I would suggest that the Dragons will give consideration to a dual captaincy this year with a view to Widdop possibly leaving in 2020.

I expect Dragons to make the top four in the NRL this year, with their forwards being slightly stronger and their backs having more attacking options with Corey Norman in the halves.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/01/11/the-dragons-conundrum-of-what-to-do-with-corey-norman/

getsmarty

Immortal
generic_story_darkscreen2.jpeg

DRAGONS

Dragons statement: Corey Norman
Author
Timestamp
Mon 14 Jan 2019, 07:39 PM

The St George Illawarra Dragons have been made aware of a video circulating on social media of Corey Norman from several years ago.

The Dragons informed the NRL Integrity Unit on Monday afternoon. The Integrity Unit have since confirmed they have previously been made aware of the footage and dealt with it accordingly at the time.

The club will make no further comment.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/01/14/dragons-statement-corey-norman/

getsmarty

Immortal
Norman to avoid further penalty from Dragons, NRL over video
Local Sport
r0_285_5568_3712_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Half chance: Corey Norman.

Dragons recruit Corey Norman is unlikely to receive any further punishment after a video allegedly involving illicit drugs resurfaced on social media on Monday.

Norman – who gained a release from Parramatta last month – is poised to play in the halves alongside Ben Hunt, with captain Gareth Widdop expected to move to fullback. A video re-surfaced, with Norman filming what is alleged to be another man taking a substance, as two other men, including another high-profile sportsman, watch on.

However, on Monday night, the Dragons released a statement to say the matter had already been dealt with after discussions with the NRL Integrity Unit.

“The St George Illawarra Dragons have been made aware of a video circulating on social media of Corey Norman from several years ago,” the statement said.

“The Dragons informed the NRL Integrity Unit on Monday afternoon.

“The Integrity Unit have since confirmed they have previously been made aware of the footage and dealt with it accordingly at the time.

“The club will make no further comment.”

The scrutiny comes after a tumultuous off-season where Dragons and NSW forward Jack de Belin has been charged with alleged sexual assault, after an incident involving a woman and Shellharbour man Callan Sinclair.

The pair will front court over the charge in February, just days before St George Illawarra’s first trial game against Newcastle.

It also follows revelations Widdop is set to leave Wollongong at the end of the season, to return to England to finish his professional career.

Norman’s recruitment has meant Widdop is likely to move to fullback, with Matt Dufty to move to the wing or start the season in the NSW Premiership competition.

The Dragons made it to the second week of the NRL finals last year, correcting a late-season slide with a thumping 48-18 victory over Brisbane, before bowing out with a 13-12 loss to Souths, where Widdop, Paul Vaughan and now retired winger Jason Nightingale were out injured.

Norman has previously been fined and suspended while at Parramatta for a number of off-field incidents.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...r-penalty-from-dragons-nrl-over-video/?cs=302

ViceVersa

Juniors
Gareth Widdop quits St George Illawarra Dragons in Super League move
JANUARY 14, 2019

St George Illawarra skipper Gareth Widdop will quit the Dragons after agreeing to a move to return to England.

The English international will walk away from the final two years of his contract to join Warrington Wolves in 2020.

St George Illawarra are expected to announce the move as early as Wednesday with Widdop to take a pay cut to return to England.

Dragons officials were stunned when Widdop requested an early move from his contract, which is worth about $1.8 million. The two parties have been in contact since before Christmas.

While Widdop, who has played 24 Tests for England, has reaffirmed his commitment to the club for this year, he made it clear he wanted out having harbouring a long-term desire to play in the English Super League while still at the height of his career.

The Daily Telegraph has learnt St George Illawarra will retain first rights on Widdop’s services should the 29-year-old opt to return to Australia.

“There’s no secret I have aspirations of going over to the UK and playing,” Widdop said in November. “It’s something I’ve always wanted to do. I have a good relationship with the club and so when the time is right we’ll work together.”

Wigan, Leeds, Huddersfield and St Helens all tried to sign Widdop but it was former coach Steve Price who secured Widdop’s signature for a second time. Price signed Widdop from Melbourne to the Dragons in 2014 but the partnership was short-lived after Price was axed midway through Widdop’s first season. Price since took over from Warrington and led them to a grand final in his first season last year.

Widdop will form a halves combination with Blake Austin after the former Raider joined Warrington this year.

Widdop emigrated to Australia from Halifax as a teen.

The Dragons have already planned for life post-Widdop having signed Corey Norman. Norman’s arrival is expected to shift Widdop to play fullback for the first time on a regular basis in the NRL.

Widdop’s departure will also keep the door ajar for local product Matt Dufty to remain at the club. Despite being just one of five players to feature in all Dragons 26 games last year, the arrival of Norman and Widdop’s switch to fullback is set to see the off-contract Dufty have a reduced role this year.

Widdop has played 185 NRL games since making his debut for Melbourne in 2010.

https://outline.com/CnGMzM

getsmarty

Immortal
Widdop to depart Dragons at end of 2019 season
Author
Timestamp
Wed 16 Jan 2019, 04:54 AM

St George Illawarra Dragons captain Gareth Widdop has requested and will be granted a release from his playing contract on compassionate grounds at the completion of the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

A desire to return home to England and play in the Super League, as well as to be closer to his grandparents who he has long been away from, all led to him requesting a release to join the Warrington Wolves for the 2020 season and beyond.

The club have released Widdop under the condition that if he were to return to the NRL then it can only be to the Dragons.

The England international arrived at the Red V in 2014 and has played 115 NRL games with the club to date. Widdop is on track to become the club's highest pointscorer in 2019.

The 29-year-old veteran thanked the Dragons for working through his request with the utmost professionalism.

"I've made a big decision in my career having decided to move back to England next year," Widdop said.

"It certainly hasn't been the easiest decision but sometimes in life we have aspirations and playing in the Super League has been one of mine for a while now.

"The Dragons have played a big part in my career. I've been here a long time now and to get to where we have with the roster we've got, to leave it all behind especially being the captain will be difficult.

"This situation has been handled in the most professional way possible. I worked really closely with the club who have been great. We worked towards getting the best outcome and I thank the Dragons for that.

"I still have the 2019 season to come. The reason we play this game is to win premierships. We have the squad to win it this year and I'll be doing everything possible to achieve that."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/01/16/widdop-to-depart-dragons-at-end-of-2019/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2019: Captain and coach on a mission in final season together
Local Sport
r0_0_3810_2254_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

SAME PAGE: Gareth Widdop and Paul McGregor are committed to 2019. Picture: Adam McLean

DRAGONS coach Paul McGregor has never had any reason to doubt Gareth Widdop’s commitment to the club and that hasn’t changed despite his skipper’s decision to depart at season’s end.

In November Widdop was forced to hose down reports he had sought an immediate release to pursue a long-held dream of playing in the English Super League

He assured fans that he was committed to the club for the 2019 season but his commitment to the remaining two years of his deal was left up in the air.

The club put that uncertainty to rest on Wednesday, confirming it has granted Widdop a conditional release from the final two years of his deal on compassionate grounds.

The release, that will allow the 29-year-old to link with former coach Steve Price at Warrington from 2020, stipulates that any return to the NRL will be with the Dragons.

McGregor said the club had always kept an open dialogue with the English star and there was never any doubt that he would see out the 2019 season.

“In my conversations with Gareth it was very clear that he was never going to let myself the club down,” McGregor said.

“He was never, ever going to walk away from a contract until we found a suitable replacement and there was never any conversation around him not playing in 2019.

“[The release] for 20-21 was always subject to Ian [Millward] finding a replacement for him. We’ve got an excellent relationship, he’s been my captain since Benny Creah [retired] and basically since I took over as coach. This year’s very important to both of us.”

Widdop’s departure comes after the club secured the services of former Eels half Corey Norman on a three-year deal beginning this season.

He’s tipped to feature at five-eighth with Widdop shifting to fullback, though Matt Dufty will have his sights set on keeping the No. 1 jumper he made his own in 2018.

Norman only reported for duty a week ago while Widdop has been in rehab after off-season shoulder surgery. It leaves McGregor in no rush to decide on the final make-up of his spine come round one.

“I’m very open-minded and having a real good look at the moment,” McGregor said.

“There is still six weeks before we even trial so I’m not going to make a decision on something that’s still nine weeks away. There’s a lot that can happen in rugby league week to week and day to day.

“The biggest thing is that players complement each other. We know our spine was successful at different stages last year. Corey adds another dimension to that.

“They’re all quality and I’d rather be looking at them than looking for them. We’re very fortunate to have depth in important positions in the squad which we’ve never had before.”

Having secured the compassionate release Widdop said he’s determined to repay the club in premiership gold before his time is up.

“I've been here a long time now and to get to where we have with the roster we've got, to leave it all behind, especially being the captain, will be difficult,’ Widdop said.

"I still have the 2019 season to come. The reason we play this game is to win premierships. We have the squad to win it this year and I'll be doing everything possible to achieve that."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5853873/captain-and-coach-on-a-mission-in-2019/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
tungais-1.jpg

MEDIA RELEASE

NRL Harvey Norman Women’s All Stars teams named
Author
NRL Media Release NRL Media
Timestamp
Wed 16 Jan 2019, 10:01 PM

The NRL Harvey Norman Women’s All Stars teams have been named today, ahead of the All Stars match to be played in Melbourne on Friday 15 February.

A host of NRL Premiership players are amongst both teams, together with players that have represented Australia and New Zealand.

NRL General Manager of the Women’s Elite Program, Tiffany Slater, said the match was a welcome return for women’s rugby league in 2019.

"Our women’s game had a landmark year in 2018, following the success of the Rugby League World Cup in 2017, where Australia took on New Zealand in the Final," Ms Slater said.

"It’s great to see the All Stars concept back again in 2019 and looking at the talent across both teams, fans should be set for an exciting match."

The Women’s All Stars match is part of a triple-header of football at AAMI Park, with touch football and the Men’s All Stars match also part of the action.

The Men’s and Women’s All Stars teams will be in Melbourne in the week leading up to the matches on 15 February, with teams taking part in a series of welcome events, community activities and training sessions.

Tickets are on sale, with NRL club member adult tickets starting at $20 and family passes from $45.

General sale tickets start from $25 for an adult and $50 for a family pass.

To purchase tickets, head to www.nrl.com/tickets

For flights, accommodation and tickets to visit Melbourne and attend the matches, head to www.nrl.com/travel

The NRL Harvey Norman All Stars is supported by the Victorian Government, through its tourism and major events agency, Visit Victoria.

Indigenous Women's All Stars

Akayla McQuire
Amber Pilley
Caitlan Johnston
Jenni-Sue Hoepper
Kandy Kennedy
Kyara Nean
Layla Fauid
Quincy Dodd
Rebecca Young
Samartha Leisha
Shakiah Tungai
Sharon McGrady
Shaylee Bent
Tahlia Hunter
Taleena Simon
Tallisha Harden
Terri-Ann Caine
Tommaya Kelly Sines
Coach: Dean Widders

New Zealand Maori Ferns

Acacia Claridge-Te Iwimate
Amber Kani
Botille Vette-Welsh
Harata (Charlette) Butler
Christyl Stowers
Hilda Mariu
Jonsal Tautari
Kahurangi Peters
Kararaina Wira-Kohu
Kathy Keremete
Kerehitina Matua
Krystal Rota
Rona Peters
Geneva Webber
Tazmin Gray
Te Aroha Hapuku
Tyler Birch
Zahara Temara
Coach: Rusty Matua

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/01/17/nrl-harvey-norman-womens-all-stars-teams-named/

Latest posts