What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
haka-181013_gt_132.jpg

REPRESENTATIVE

Kangaroos to face Kiwis in Wollongong in October
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 25 Feb 2019, 09:15 AM
walterbrad-head.png

Australia will play New Zealand in an end-of-season double-header at WIN Stadium in Wollongong on Friday October 25.

The announcement of the trans-Tasman Test provides the first details of the international calendar which is expected to include an Oceania series and Great Britain Lions tour to New Zealand and Papua New Guinea.

It will be the first time the Kangaroos have hosted the Kiwis in Australia since the mid-season ANZAC Test was cancelled in 2017.

The two nations have only met once since, with New Zealand defeating Australia in Auckland last October.

The double-header will feature a women's Test between the Jillaroos and Kiwi Ferns, who previously played in Wollongong in 2014.

It will also be the first time the Australian Kangaroos take on the New Zealand Kiwis at WIN Stadium.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said having international rugby league back in the Illawarra was a great result for region and the game.

"Rugby league has a home in the Illawarra, so we're delighted to bring the pinnacle of rugby league back to Wollongong for the first time in five years," Greenberg said.

"We recorded one of the best-ever attendances for WIN Stadium the last time Test match rugby league was played in Wollongong.

"So, I've got no doubt the local support will be strong and compliment those travelling fans who can't wait to be at the Stadium come October 25th.

"I'd especially like to thank the New South Wales Government and Destination NSW for their support of such an important event on the rugby league calendar."

The women's and men's matches will be broadcast live nationally across the Nine Network, Fox Sports and NRL Live Pass, as well as Sky NZ in New Zealand.

The Trans-Tasman Double Header is supported by the New South Wales Government and Destination New South Wales.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/02/25/kangaroos-to-face-kiwis-in-wollongong-in-october/

getsmarty

Immortal
Jillaroos star Apps eyes WIN Stadium homecoming for Trans-Tasman Test double-header
Dragons Den
r0_0_4763_3175_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

HOME TURF: Jillaroos star Kezie Apps at WIN Stadium. Picture: Adam McLean

IT'S been a whirlwind five years but Jillaroos star Kezie Apps is relishing the chance to bring her Test career full circle when WIN Stadium hosts a blockbuster Trans-Tasman double-header in October.

Apps was a rookie the last time the venue hosted Test match rugby league, making her debut against the Kiwi Ferns in November 2014.

It was the first leg of a double-header that also saw the Kangaroos take on Samoa in a Four Nations clash - the first time the Jillaroos had shared the same Test stage as the men.

It will go up a notch this time around with the Kangaroos hosting the No. 2 ranked Kiwis in Wollongong for the first time ever.

Now a genuine superstar of the game, Apps says that sunny Sunday afternoon seems a lifetime ago as she eyes a return to what certainly feels like her home patch.

"It's where I played my first ever Test match so it'll always be a really special place for me," Apps said.

"It was my first year of footy and all my family and friends from Bega were able to come up here and watch. When I heard there was going to be another Test here it really brought those memories back.

"I'd never thought I would get that opportunity and to have now been part of the Australian team this long. I've played for NSW here and obviously now being involved with the Dragons it definitely feels like home turf to me.

"Hopefully come the end of the year I can be fit and injury free and I can be a part of it again."

While she has every intention of being there on October 25, she's learned the hard way not to take such opportunities for granted.

In the five years since that debut in Wollongong, Apps has had cause to question whether she had played her last game of footy for the Helensburgh Tigerlillies, let alone Australia.

A broken leg at the 2017 Auckland Nines required surgery and a six-month recovery period. She made it back just time to play in the Blues State of Origin win over Queensland in Wollongong but it was a testing period.

She suffered another major setback in her most recent outing for the Jillaroos in October last year, breaking the same leg in a sickening tackle that left her fearing the worst.

It's where I played my first ever Test match so it'll always be a really special place for me.

Kezie Apps
It didn't prove worst-case scenario, but it's meant another stint in the rehab room, though one that leaves her confident heading into 2019.

"I definitely wasn't in any rush to get back this time," she said.

"It's been pretty slow and steady and it's been good to go through that process and not trying to get back for a game or a season like I have in the past.

"I'm feeling really good, I'm back running, tackling and everything. It's just about doing that prehab stuff now to keep on top of it.

"I just want to stay injury-free now for 2019, that's my main goal, and hopefully come the end of the year I'm fit enough and playing well enough to pull on that [Australian] jersey again."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...tar-apps-eyes-win-stadium-homecoming/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
indigenousjersey_2019_tv_1920.jpg

INDIGENOUS ROUND

Dragons launch 2019 Indigenous jersey
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 27 Feb 2019, 11:34 AM

St George Illawarra have today unveiled their 2019 Indigenous jersey which will be worn in the Dragons' Round 11 clash against the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on Sunday, May 26.

The Dragons indigenous jersey will again feature a combination of designs from three local artists: Lani Balzan, Keiran Campbell and Koori Minto.

Their designs were selected by a player panel which included Indigenous players Josh Kerr, Tristan Sailor and Jai Field as well as non-indigenous players Euan Aitken and Cameron McInnes.

The front of the jersey – designed by local artist Lani Balzan – includes a whale (Birri Birri) which symbolises the Dharawal nation, the land on which St George Illawarra play their home games.

The different gathering symbols surrounding the whale, represents the bringing together of a harmonious community, including Dragons members, fans and players.

The four red dots above the Red V signify the four Indigenous players currently in the Dragons' NRL squad (Josh Kerr, Jai Field, Jonus Pearson and Tristan Sailor).

Young local artists Keiran Campbell and Koori Minto's design is featured on the back of the jersey.

img_2983.jpg

dsc_3565.jpg

Their design highlights the special relationship and respect local aboriginals have with the sea, highlighting the significance of the sea creatures which have provided local Aboriginal People a food source for thousands of generations.

"It was very special to help pick the design for the Dragons' Indigenous jersey. It's great to be able to express and showcase our culture in such a way like this, in front of so many people," Dragons Indigenous player representative Josh Kerr said.

Click here to pre-purchase the Dragons' Indigenous jersey.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/02/27/dragons-launch-2019-indigenous-jersey/

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL stand down Jack de Belin as Cronulla Sharks await salary cap probe outcome
  • Local Sport
    r0_199_4709_2857_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter Beattie and NRL CEO Todd Greenberg face the media in Sydney on Thursday. Picture: Mick Tsikas/AAP Image
    The NRL have stood down Dragons forward Jack de Belin after the governing body announced a major change to the game's disciplinary policy.

The Australian Rugby League Commission handed down new protocols for players accused of serious crimes.

Under the new policy, any player who is charged with an offence that carries a maximum prison term of 11 years or more will be automatically stood down.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg also has discretionary power to stand down players charged with offences involving the assault of women or children. Players will be allowed to continue to train with their teams and remain on full pay.

De Belin has pleaded not guilty to a charge of aggravated sexual assault in Wollongong court. The 27-year-old now faces time an extended period out of the game until his court case has concluded.

The 'no-fault' policy implemented by the ARLC differs from the previous policy, where players who pleaded not guilty to alleged offences were allowed to continue playing while their matter underwent the legal process.

Clubs will not automatically receive salary cap relief but can apply for it.

Greenberg met with de Belin at St George Leagues Club on Wednesday to outline the change in policy to the NSW representative forward.

"We think it's important that the club and the player have the opportunity for him to continue in the environment," Greenberg said.

"Again, it's a no fault stand down. This policy ensures that he doesn't play but he can be around the team and he can be at training during the week and also, importantly, take the services of that club via it's welfare and education program."

ARLC chairman Peter Beattie said player welfare was still important under the new system.

"I rang all the club chairs and 15 out of 16 were supportive of this provision," he said.

"But one of the things they did raise and that includes when we met with St George was player welfare. And they clearly see being able to train as a key part of player welfare."

De Belin missed St George Illawarra's opening trial against Newcastle last weekend with a virus. Dragons coach Paul McGregor initially indicated de Belin would be available for Saturday's Charity Shield clash with South Sydney but was then left out by the club for player welfare reasons.

Beattie said the commission were acting in the sport's best interests - now and into the future.

“The change has occurred after extensive consultation across the community and amongst stakeholders," he said.

“As chairman, my responsibility and the responsibility of my fellow commissioners, is to act in the best interests of the entire game and to take a leadership position when it comes to acts of violence against women in particular.

“What we have heard are community concerns about players facing serious criminal charges representing the game on the field and today the ARLC has acted on those concerns.

“The policy addresses charges which are of particular concern to the game and the broader community, including sexual violence and violence against women.

“That includes the present game and the future game.

“It also includes protecting and supporting the well-being of those entrusted to us as part of our game. That includes players and their families, clubs, sponsors and fans.

“Today, the commission has acted with those interests top of mind. And we are supported by Todd and his leadership team along with club chairs and CEOs.”

While the NRL have stood de Belin down under the new policy, Greenberg said a decision was yet to be made on Manly centre Dylan Walker who has pleaded not guilty to charges of assaulting his fiancee.

“I stress that the NRL is making no judgement on the guilt or innocence of the player,” Greenberg said.

“That is not our role. That is the job of the courts and it will remain so.

“But we have to be in a position to take action when allegations are so serious that it would damage the reputation of the game if that player was allowed to take the field.

“And that is what we have done in [de Belin's] case.

“We have to take a leadership position to protect our game. And that is what we will do with a change of policy in place."

Meanwhile, no announcement was made on the outcome of the salary cap probe into Cronulla.

Cronulla were expected to learn their fate for alleged salary cap cheating on Thursday with the NRL to hand down its findings after an Australian Rugby League Commission meeting.

The Sharks are prepared for more heavy sanctions after the NRL's probe reportedly uncovered more discrepancies than those self-reported by Cronulla to the integrity unit in June last year.

Cronulla's punishment is expected to include a significant fine as well as possible salary cap penalties.

A decision is expected to be made public on Friday.

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/...n-as-sharks-await-salary-cap-outcome/?cs=1633

getsmarty

Immortal
generic_story_darkscreen2.jpeg

NRL NEWS

RLPA statement - Ian Prendergast
Author
Timestamp
Thu 28 Feb 2019, 03:27 PM

Rugby League Players' Association (RLPA) Chief Executive Officer Ian Prendergast has released the following statement:

"The RLPA is disappointed in the decision made by the Australian Rugby League Commission today to alter a policy that will directly impact on the employment rights of its members," Mr. Prendergast said.

"The ramifications for players will be substantial – both those who are currently defending charges and those who may be subject to the same situation in the future.

"Whilst we respect the Commission’s view that this is a ‘no fault’ policy, the reality is that standing down a player indefinitely can impact on the fundamental principle of the presumption of innocence and may prejudice the legal process.

"As we have consistently stated, this change will do irreparable damage to the player and his employment.

"Professional athletes already have short careers and waiting for the conclusion of a court case would significantly impact, and in some cases, end their time in the game.

"We respect that the Commission have a difficult task handling what is a complex issue and are doing what they believe is in the best interests of the game.

"There is no option that sits comfortably with everyone, and we recognise the risks to the game.

However, we maintain that the current policy is the fairest and most sensible approach.

"It remains our view that any policy change must be agreed with the RLPA.

"Whilst we have been consulted, it is obvious that we do not agree to the proposed changes.

"That is a matter we will engage the Commission and NRL on in the coming days and weeks, as well as considering our options legally and through the CBA dispute process.

"As always, we will support our members to explore any legal options they may have available to them.

"We are not ignorant to the hurt that these matters cause the game and are committed to working with the NRL and Clubs to repair the damage that has been done.

However, we continue to query whether this change will genuinely have the desired impact of rebuilding public trust and confidence in the game.

"We also believe that there are a range of strategic initiatives that will have a far greater impact than this policy change on improving professional standards within the game and reducing integrity-related incidents..

"The RLPA reaffirms its stance that strong action needs to be taken against any player or official found guilty of violence against women – it has no place in our game or society.

"However, until such time as there is objective proof of such conduct, we do not believe the game can or should act.

"To clarify what options may be pursued by the RLPA and in response to various media reports – industrial action is not something that the Association has considered in relation to this issue."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/02/28/rlpa-statement---ian-prendergast/

getsmarty

Immortal
generic_story_darkscreen2.jpeg

DRAGONS

Dragons respond to ARLC policy change
Author
Timestamp
Thu 28 Feb 2019, 03:39 PM

St George Illawarra Dragons CEO Brian Johnston and player Jack de Belin have made the following statements, in response to the NRL's decision to change the NRL policy and stand down Jack de Belin.

Brian Johnston, Chief Executive Officer

"We understand and support the Commission’s desire to improve the standards of player behaviour and propagate the game,” said Dragons CEO Brian Johnston.

"This is a very complex and difficult issue that impacts many stakeholders.

"To date we have been guided by the NRL rules and code of conduct, in addition to advice suggesting any action taken by the club could interfere with the judicial process.

"Given the change today, we need time to digest this information and consider the implications for our club.

"Duty of care has always been a priority for us and we have great concern for Jack’s welfare. We will continue to provide him with the necessary support and welfare he needs throughout this legal process.

"I would also like to take this opportunity to thank our stakeholders, including sponsors, members and fans for their support of our process."

Jack de Belin, Player

"Rugby league has always been a big part of my life, I love the game.

"I am innocent and will vigorously defend the charge against me.

"I want to thank my partner, family, friends, the club, members, sponsors and fans for the support they have given me during this difficult time."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/02/28/dragons-respond-to-arlc-policy-change/

getsmarty

Immortal
'I am innocent': Jack de Belin responds after being stood down from NRL
  • Local Sport
    r0_0_2337_1319_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Stood down: Jack de Belin. Photo: AAP

• Jack de Belin has declared his innocence after being stood down from the NRL, saying he will "vigorously defend" himself against a charge of aggravated sexual assault.

The ARL Commission met on Thursday at League Central before announcing a major change to the game's disciplinary policy concerning players who are accused of serious crimes.

De Belin, 27, has pleaded not guilty in Wollongong court and now faces an extended period out of the competition.

"Rugby league has always been a big part of my life, I love the game," De Belin said in a statement released by the Dragons on Thursday afternoon.

"I am innocent and will vigorously defend the charge against me.

"I want to thank my partner, family, friends, the club, members, sponsors and fans for the support they have given me during this difficult time."

Previously, players who pleaded not guilty to alleged offences were allowed to continue playing while the matters were dealt with in court.

r4_0_1004_563_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Decision day: Todd Greenberg and Peter Beattie at League Central on Thursday. Photo: Steven Siewert

Read more: De Belin rubbed out but stoush with NRL set to continue

Under the new policy, any player who is charged with an offence that carries a maximum prison term of 11 years or more will be automatically stood down. NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg also has the discretionary powers to stand down players charged with offences involving the assault of women or children. Players will be allowed to continue to train with their teams and remain on full pay.

“There will be a no-fault stand-down for players who are charged with serious criminal offences above that line,” ARLC chairman Peter Beattie said. “Underneath that there are going to be charges that aren’t in that level of severity that will be in the discretion of the CEO to deal with.

“We are making no judgment whatsoever in relation to any player who is charged with any offence. What we’re doing is setting a benchmark and a standard to protect the game of rugby league.

r4_0_1006_563_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

New policy: Peter Beattie and Todd Greenberg after Thursday's announcement. Photo: AAP

[New policy: Peter Beattie and Todd Greenberg after Thursday's announcement.]

New policy: Peter Beattie and Todd Greenberg after Thursday's announcement.CREDIT:AAP

“This is in a nutshell about rebuilding the reputation of rugby league. We need to restore people's confidence in the game."

Beattie said clubs who had players stood down would not automatically be granted salary cap relief but could apply for it. He said 15 of the 16 clubs were supportive of the new policy and that it had been approved unanimously by commissioners.

Greenberg confirmed de Belin would be stood down under the new policy. He said a decision had not been made yet on Manly centre Dylan Walker, who has pleaded not guilty to charges of assaulting his fiancee.

Greenberg and de Belin had met at St Georges Leagues Club on Wednesday.

“I wanted to convey to him personally the direction the game was heading," Greenberg said.

"I wanted to explain to him the reasons why. I thought I owed that to him. It was a difficult conversation.”

Dragons chief executive Brian Johnston and other club bosses met with the ARLC and Greenberg on Thursday before the announcement was made.

"We are very supportive of the desire of the NRL to improve player behaviour and propagate the game of rugby league," Johnston said as he left League Central.

"What we are dealing with is a very compromising and polarising subject regarding Jack de Belin but above all we have been guided by the legal system and NRL rules.

"Above all we are concerned about the welfare of Jack de Belin - that's our priority at the present stage.

"We are just about to head off now and give consideration to the changes the NRL are making to the rules so we can digest that and understand, clearly, what it means."

Rugby League Players Association CEO Ian Prendergast said he opposed the policy shift.

“The RLPA is disappointed in the decision made by the Australian Rugby League Commission today to alter a policy that will directly impact on the employment rights of its members,” Prendergast said.

“The ramifications for players will be substantial – both those who are currently defending charges and those who may be subject to the same situation in the future.

“Whilst we respect the commission’s view that this is a ‘no fault’ policy, the reality is that standing down a player indefinitely can impact on the fundamental principle of the presumption of innocence and may prejudice the legal process.

“As we have consistently stated, this change will do irreparable damage to the player and his employment.

“Professional athletes already have short careers and waiting for the conclusion of a court case would significantly impact, and in some cases, end their time in the game."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ponds-after-being-stood-down-from-nrl/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
Westfund Women in Sport series
Westfund is privileged to be involved with women’s sport in a variety of ways and wanted to share the amazing stories we've heard. The Women in Sport series is a collection of videos celebrating and sharing the stories of women across a range sports. Westfund is proud to feature rugby league player Kezie Apps in the first video of the series.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/01/westfund-women-in-sport-series/

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL's leadership in standing down Jack de Belin, Dylan Walker
  • Dragons Den
    GAME ON COLUMN

r504_151_4533_3395_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Court battle: Jac de Belin has pleaded not guilty to rape allegations. Picture: Nathan Hopkins/NRL Photos

This is where rugby league ends up, mired in its own muck.

This could be a column about the Charity Shield and South Sydney. Remember them? They knocked the Dragons out of the NRL finals last year after not one, but three field goals from Adam Reynolds.

It could be a column about Gareth Widdop - who missed the Rabbitohs semi-final with a shoulder injury - heading home to England at the end of this campaign, hoping to take a premiership ring with him.

About Paul McGregor gaining a contract extension or the outstanding coup to bring the trans-Tasman double-header to Wollongong at the end of the season.

Choose your own adventure.

r2376_0_5568_3712_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Pressure point: ARL Commission board memeber Mark Coyne.

Instead, the sledgehammer came in back-to-back press conferences involving NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg, directly addressed game's stance on a smorgasbord of off-field issues rugby league has endured in the worst off-season in history.

Sharks and Tigers salary cap penalties. Scott Bolton's five-game ban. Dylan Napa fined.

The ARL Commission did the right thing by bringing in a policy framework to stand down players facing serious criminal charges.

It was drawn out,.The commission flagged the policy change, Greenberg met with de Belin to offer him the chance to stand down. He declined. But the NRL - so often slammed for lack of conviction - has shown leadership.

Where the line should be drawn under the new "no-fault" policy, the base level of serious allegations before the courts, will be up for endless debate.

As with the Jack de Belin case, the NRL has shown leadership in standing down Dylan Walker and previously de-registering Ben Barba.

And the Dragons have every reason to support de Belin while facing rape charges, but credit should be given to new ARL Commissioner Mark Coyne, a Dragons and Queensland State of Origin great, for backing the policy changes.

Coyne is wedged here.

Had it all panned out differently last year, Coyne could well have replaced Peter Doust as chief executive, after overseeing the Dragons 'football committee', formed at the end of 2016.

Instead, he's now on the independent body protecting the game, its image and from itself. Coyne had previously taken the Dragons' stance about de Belin, but has now fallen into line with the commission.

“I obviously did speak about that two weeks ago,” Coyne said on Thursday.

“I’ve had a fair bit of consultation with people throughout the game and the commissioners. I’ve changed my view around that, realising the risk the game has at the moment in terms of its future.”
https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...hip-as-game-tears-itself-apart-again/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal

Paul McGregor responds to NRL policy change
Author
Timestamp
Fri 1 Mar 2019, 06:21 PM

Dragons coach Paul McGregor has made the following statement, in response to the NRL's decision to change the policy and stand down Jack de Belin.

"The Commission governs the game, and no doubt they have the greater good of the game at heart.

"In saying that though, Jack is the first NRL player in history to be denied the presumption of innocence without a witness or video evidence. He was charged in December so it's disappointing this decision has been made so close to the season commencing.

"There is no doubt that this has impacted Jack and his family. Jack maintains his innocence and draws strength from this. He also recognises that he will have his opportunity to defend himself in court.

"The playing group is unified and understandably have empathy for their mate. We are a very tight knit group who support each other and will continue to monitor Jack's wellbeing and welfare.

"We are awaiting further details and information from the NRL [in terms of salary cap relief] and as yet, there is no definitive answer. I'll leave it to Ian (Millward) and Brian (Johnston) to follow that up with the NRL and I'll continue to focus my attention on my current playing group.

"You don't replace a player like Jack. We will look from within first and foremost. The probability is that Tyson (Frizell) will move to lock and Luciano (Leilua) and Jacob (Host) will play edge back-row which will be a great opportunity for both players.

"Overall [this situation] is a distraction out of the players' control. We will focus on what we are good at and play to our strengths, and that is starting the season off on a positive note."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/01/paul-mcgregor-responds-to-nrl-policy-change/

getsmarty

Immortal
Report claims Jack de Belin will launch legal challenge to NRL policy change
A report claims the NRL’s player behaviour crisis has only just begun with guinea pig case Jack de Belin reportedly “likely” to fight his historic suspension.

news.com.auMarch 1, 20197:09am

02e76ca1b353b9d009215c3c541e56bf

Dragons star Jack de Belin is reportedly about to commence legal action to fight the NRL’s player behaviour policy change that allowed CEO Todd Greenberg on Thursday to stand him down from playing.

De Belin will be banned from playing in the NRL until he faces court again on sexual assault charges on April 17 after the NRL announced new, tougher sanctions for player misbehaviour on Thursday.

The NSW State of Origin star has maintained his innocence and released a statement on Thursday afternoon to again express his intent to fight the charges against him.

Greenberg and ARLC chairman Peter Beattie declared on Thursday they believe the policy will help bring an end to the disastrous NRL off-seasons riddled with criminal charges and anti-social behaviour actions being brought against players.

However, it emerged later on Thursday that the crisis may just be beginning for the NRL with de Belin now expected to take the game to court.

The Australian’s senior rugby league reporter, Brent Read, told Triple M’s Rush Hour with Mark Geyer it is now “more likely than not” that de Belin will seek to overturn the policy change that allows officials to stand down players, despite their remaining a presumption of innocence for all players before their court cases are finalised.

Under the new rules, players facing charges which carry a maximum jail term of 11 years or more would be stood down under a no-fault policy which Beattie stressed didn’t apply a presumption of guilt.

fd69a4d886d10c7a3e0c4cebae1216fd

St George's Jack de Belin makes a break during the South Sydney v St. George-Illawarra NRL Semi Final at ANZ Stadium, Homebush. Picture: Brett CostelloSource:News Corp Australia

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg also has the discretion to stand down players facing other serious charges, including violence against women and children. However, the rules immediately met resistance from the players’ union, which said it would back any member who wanted to consider their legal options.

De Belin himself will lead the case against the new rules, according to Read.

“I think they’ll challenge it. That could drag on as well,” Read said.

“This is far from over. That’s the disturbing thing. We thought it might end today, but it’s certainly not going to be over today or tomorrow.”

The NSW State of Origin lock broke his silence via a club media release for the first time since pleading not guilty to aggravated sexual assault.

“Rugby league has always been a big part of my life, I love the game,” de Belin said.

“I am innocent and will vigorously defend the charge against me.”

De Belin will still be afforded full pay and be able to train with the Dragons. The NRL’s changes come after an off-season which has included 17 off-field scandals at a rate of almost one every 10 days.

The game’s historic attempt to stamp out player behaviour that allegedly damages the sport’s reputation has opened up a can of worms.

Paul McGirr, from McGirr Lawyers, earlier this week told The Daily Telegraph pre-emptive action against de Belin has the potential divert “the criminal justice system”.

He said de Belin could explore a civil case on the grounds of loss of income.

The Sydney Morning Herald reports St George Illawarra legal representatives are also preparing to hit the ARLC with an injunction, preventing them from carrying out the order to stand de Belin down from duties.

De Belin’s legal representatives have also issued Beattie with legal letters, citing their concern around the damaging nature of some comments he is alleged to have made regarding De Belin’s case.

0f27765ded13b8664418ebacada994fd

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - JULY 29: Jack de Belin of the Dragons exchanges words with Cooper Cronk of the Roosters during the round 20 NRL match between the Sydney Roosters and the St George Illawarra Dragons at Allianz Stadium on July 29, 2018 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)Source:Getty Images

Beattie said the game’s reputation had to be rebuilt, and denied claims by the Rugby League Players’ Association (RLPA) the rules could cause prejudice. “I do (believe this can change the culture),” Beattie said.

“Because this is the first time we’ve actually got a rule with teeth.

“It’s a rule that can bring about cultural change. It’s a rule that says to everyone in the game that you have got to behave.

“At the end of it all, we’ve got to have standards and values. We’ve sent out a message.” Beattie claimed the changes had been supported by 15 of the NRL’s 16 club chairs, with Melbourne vocal on Thursday afternoon in their praise.

But the Dragons were still considering their position late on Thursday.

“We understand and support the commission’s desire to improve the standards of player behaviour and propagate the game,” CEO Brian Johnston said.

“This is a very complex and difficult issue that impacts many stakeholders.

“To date, we have been guided by the NRL rules and code of conduct, in addition to advice suggesting any action taken by the club could interfere with the judicial process.

“Given the change today, we need time to digest this information and consider the implications for our club.”

— with AAP

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/r...e/news-story/b2c7569f8055e5f78e4d35ed4ea451e0

getsmarty

Immortal
Family, NFL and Corey Norman: Why a revitalised Ben Hunt is primed for the 2019 NRL season
Dragons
john_dean.jpg

226ea3e2dfa704fd82a9f94009c9d6f0

Ben Hunt says he's more equipped to handle whatever rugby league throws at him in 2019.Source: FOX SPORTS
Rugby league threw plenty at Ben Hunt last year.
As St George Illawarra’s marquee recruit, the star halfback had to endure a mountain of unfair criticism which affected him to the point where he sought the help of a mental health professional.

The carping critics even prompted Hunt’s wife, Bridget, to leap to her husband’s defence via social media, warning them of the affects constant criticism can have.

But for all the negativity, there’s no denying Hunt was a key reason why the Red V returned to finals football for the first time since 2015 — and won their first finals game since the 2010 Grand Final.

Now, after experiencing what he describes as one of his “toughest patches”, Hunt believes he’s better equipped to mentally handle whatever comes his way as he looks to take the Dragons further in his second season wearing the famous jumper.

“Personally, I feel like I’ve gotten on top of everything that’s come at me so far,” Hunt told League Life’s Lara Pitt.

“Before last year I thought I was pretty well on top of it and had everything under control, but rugby league and life throw you different challenges all the time and new things come up.

“I think there’s never going to be enough learning or education about mental health.

“I definitely think I’m better equipped.”

47742e93a4d6f7cfe31675ed84b30e9d

Ben Hunt (right) experienced a roller coaster 2018 season.Source: AAP
Hunt had a dream start to his time at the Dragons with the side winning an impressive nine of their first 11 games.

The 28-year-old was selected in the Queensland Origin side at halfback, and it was when he was dropped to the bench for game three for some poor playmaking decisions, his confidence started to wane.

The Dragons limped towards the finals while Gareth Widdop was sidelined with a shoulder injury and Hunt copped a lot of the blame.

“I went through probably one of the toughest patches I’ve been in,” Hunt said.

“I found different ways away from football to clear my mind and completely get away from rugby league and freshen the mind up and come back and enjoy what I was doing.

“It seems like a lot of coaches are trying to drill that into their players at the moment. They really want you to get away from footy when you’re not training or playing and enjoy time with your family or whatever you enjoy doing.”

So what’s the Maroons star’s outlet away from football?

b84ce596e973b11b28679478860c4d83

2018 was a year of highs and lows for Ben Hunt.Source: AAP
“Mainly my family at the moment, enjoying their company,” Hunt said.

“Moving down to Sydney we didn’t have any family and left a lot of friends at home.

“And mainly the NFL season, that’s something I really enjoy. That came around at a good time in the off-season … I’m a Patriots fan.

“Everyone gets into me that I’m a bandwagoner. I did start supporting them because were good, but I also started following them because they used to be the team I’d play with in Madden on PlayStation.

“After that I started watching NFL and I started supporting them.”

Hunt will form a new halves combination at the Dragons in 2019 alongside recruit Corey Norman, with Widdop shifting to fullback.

The duo are well acquainted, however, having played together at Brisbane, but only once did they play together in the halves at NRL level before Norman joined Parramatta.

When Hunt found out the Dragons were targeting Norman, he backed the club’s plans, urging them to look beyond his chequered history.

0735019b14bc56929340a9fca508a298

Corey Norman will link up again withSource: Getty Images
“He’s just a quality footballer,” Hunt said.

“No matter what position, the more good footballers you can get in your club the better you’re going to be.

“He’s played a few different positions in his time and every time he’s done that I thought he’s played really well.

“Personally, I thought I could gel with him really well and I know Gareth can chime in with him well also.”

While Hunt said his role won’t change in the No.7, he believed the addition of Norman to the backline with Widdop would only make the side more lethal.

“My role will be similar at halfback steering us around the field,” Hunt said.

“Between those two, they’re really similar players in that either can play fullback or five-eighth and chime in.

“So between the three of us, you’re going to have a better mix of rotating around the field and combining with each other, rather than having a designated half or five-eighth on either side of the field.”

Despite the NRL standing down of Jack de Belin, the premiership window is wide open for the Red V in 2019 — and the side will be desperate to deliver knowing this is Widdop’s final season before he joins Warrington next year.

“It’s definitely a huge opportunity,” Hunt said.

“Getting Corey on-board is a massive boost for us.

“But if we really want to push for something, this is the prime year to do it.

“If we have a bit of luck with injuries and keep a good team together, I think we’ve got a pretty handy squad.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/0595a34a10ae9922d8d1654bd1cb5d2a

getsmarty

Immortal
hostj--1gp_7957.jpg

DRAGONS

McGregor to settle on team early to work on new combinations
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 2 Mar 2019, 11:20 PM
walterbrad-head.png

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor will settle on his team for the opening-round clash with North Queensland in coming days to give new combinations time to gel after Jack de Belin was stood down by the NRL.

With de Belin on Thursday becoming the first player dealt with by the NRL’s new "no-fault stand down" policy while he defends a sexual assault charge in court, McGregor has been forced into a reshuffle and it was obvious in the Charity Shield loss to South Sydney that more work is needed.

While disappointed and upset by the action against de Belin, McGregor acknowledged it put an end to speculation over his fate and enabled the team to focus on the upcoming season knowing he would be missing.

"The decision has been made, we have got a squad now of 28 and we will pick our strongest 17 for round one," McGregor said after the 36-24 loss at Mudgee.

"That’s what we have got to focus on, the other distractions are gone, it is only other people who are talking about it now."

Match Highlights: Rabbitohs v Dragons

Kangaroos forward Tyson Frizell will shift to lock and McGregor indicated Jacob Host had done enough in his 55 minutes at Glenn Willows Sporting Complex to claim the right second-row spot.

The Dragons' defence on the edges was poor at times and Rabbitohs left winger Corey Allan scored a hat-trick of tries but St George Illawarra had a new right side combination of Host, centre Euan Aitken and boom rookie Zac Lomax on the wing.

Lomax also played right centre, while Aitken spent time in the second half at left centre.

Dragons left edge ignites

"They were a bit indecisive but Tyson has been training on that right edge all pre-season and obviously we have moved him this week so the next person who goes there [right second-row] will have a couple of weeks to prepare," McGregor said.

"I will name my centre and winger early next week so that combination can have a couple of weeks to get ready for round one.

"Tonight gave me a little bit of clarity of where I am going to go next week. To back that up I will watch a lot of footage and talk to my leaders and other coaches."

Despite the loss of de Belin, McGregor is confident the Dragons can again start the season well and challenge for the premiership.

Hunt floater for Lomax

"I think we showed that last year, at the back end of the year with guys missing," McGrgeor said. "We didn’t have Paul Vaughan for the finals series and we did alright without him, we lost Gareth [Widdop] going into the second final and we were up 8-2 until we lost Tariq [Sims], and after we lost Tariq we still only got beaten by a field goal.

"The same players are still here, no one’s changed so now it is about knuckling down and doing what we have got to do. I think the resilience and the learnings from last year are pretty important going into this year."

Prop Blake Lawrie appears likely to be the player added to the squad in place of de Belin after playing more than 50 minutes following the loss of Vaughan after just 15 minutes with concussion.

With Korbin Sims suspended for the opening two rounds, Lawrie could play a middle forward role off the interchange.

"The experience those young blokes got in the finals series like Blake, Luciano [Leilua] and guys who had never tasted finals footy, that is the most important thing coming out of last year. That should get them ready."

North Queensland Cowboys v St George Illawarra Dragons
What will be the result in round 1?

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...le-on-team-early-to-work-on-new-combinations/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons coach McGregor has selection headaches before NRL season
Dragons Den
r0_204_3987_2454_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Challenge ahead: Zac Lomax of the Dragons (right) celebrates with Jacob Host after scoring a try during the Charity Shield. Picture: AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts

Coach Paul McGregor is refusing to allow the Dragons squad to be distracted by the Jack de Belin court case.

Adamant they're firmly focused on their March 16 season opener against North Queensland, McGregor has other vulnerabilities to address.

"The decision has been made, we have got a squad now of 28 and we will pick our strongest 17 for round one," McGregor said. "That’s what we have got to focus on, the other distractions are gone, it is only other people who are talking about it now."

The old master Wayne Bennett has already handed the scouting report to North Queensland for round one.

Cowboys coach Paul Green now only need watch the brief highlights of Saturday night's game to be aware of St George Illawarra's pre-season frailties.

The Dragons can be thankful North Queensland are without Johnathan Thurston these days.

His left-sided show-and-go and deft kick would have created all forms of havoc to the Dragons defence, based on Saturday night's showing.

And of course, it is only a trial. No need to panic.

The new-look spine - with captain Gareth Widdop at fullback, Corey Norman pairing with Ben Hunt, Matt Dufty's bench impetus and hooker Cameron McInnes to spend short shifts tag-teaming at dummy-half - showed some promise.

But with Jack de Belin stood down indefinitely while facing rape allegations, the practicalities in the middle of the field has meant fellow NSW State of Origin forward Tyson Frizell will need to fill the void.

r439_0_2313_3470_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Corey Norman

Suspended Korbin Sims - recruited from Brisbane in the off-season, after being part of the crushing 48-18 elimination final loss to the Dragons in September, Bennett's final game at the Broncos before joining the Bunnies - will provide precious defensive impact when he is available in round three.

The promising Jacob Host is likely to shift to the right edge, with Ben Hunt and whatever combination of Zac Lomax, Euan Aitken and Mikaele Ravalawa McGregor lands on following the retirement of Jason Nightingale and Nene Macdonald's exit to the Cowboys.

"They were a bit indecisive but Tyson has been training on that right edge all pre-season and obviously we have moved him this week so the next person who goes there [right second-row] will have a couple of weeks to prepare," McGregor said.

"I will name my centre and winger early next week so that combination can have a couple of weeks to get ready for round one.

"Tonight gave me a little bit of clarity of where I am going to go next week."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...n-ripple-effect-of-de-belin-decision/?cs=3713

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
NRL looking to allow teams as far down as 10th, to play finals football...........

(Article in Smelligraph)

-------------------------------------------------------

Looks like the nrl are trying to cater for our mid season slide.

Latest posts