What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
nrl-launch-2019--2gp_1080-1.jpg

MEDIA RELEASE

NRL Telstra Premiership 2019 season launched
Author
NRL Media Release NRL Media
Timestamp
Thu 7 Mar 2019, 08:50 PM

A new era began tonight as the NRL Telstra Premiership 2019 season was launched in a spectacular setting in Sydney.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg launched the season alongside the 16 NRL Club Captains – as well as a “new era” representative from each of the teams.

Among those at the launch, at Bondi Icebergs, were Premiership Co-Captain Jake Friend from Sydney Roosters, Melbourne Storm skipper Cameron Smith, South Sydney Rabbitohs’ Greg Inglis, as well as the new era of stars including Newcastle’s Kalyn Ponga, North Queensland’s Jason Taumalolo and the Sea Eagles’ Tom Trbojevic.

Mr Greenberg said there was so much to look forward to in 2019.

“Our players here tonight will be front and centre of our new era,” Mr Greenberg said. “Tonight, it is their time to shine.

“To light up the stage and show the way forward for the rest of the Premiership, for our members and supporters everywhere.

“This time next week, one of the closest competitions in the world will explode.

“There is simply no competition in the world like it.”

Mr Greenberg said there were a number of new concepts and initiatives which linked with the “New Era” theme.

“We will see the opening of Bankwest Stadium, we will hold our first ever Magic Round in Brisbane, a State of Origin match in Perth, as well as the World Cup of Nines,” Mr Greenberg said.

The NRL this week launched a new campaign of which the “New Era Begins” is a central theme.

The campaign focusses on the link between Clubs and their communities, and for the first time features female players.

“It stands to reason that we would get our collective new era players to launch the season,” NRL Chief Commercial Officer Andrew Abdo said.

“The likes of Kalyn Ponga, Jason Taumalolo and Josh Addo-Carr are our next generation of superstars.”

The NRL also announced it would donate $100 for every point scored through Round One to those directly affected by the floods in North Queensland.

North Queensland Cowboys will also dedicate their opening match, on Saturday, March 16 against St George Illawarra Dragons, to raising spirits in the North, following the devastating floods.

The Round One match has been named the “Together for North Queensland” game.

NRL Clubs will also support the flood appeal with fundraising initiatives in Round One, including bucket collections.

“Rugby League is much more than just an on-field spectacle,” NRL Head of Government and Community Relations Jaymes Boland-Rudder said.

“We’re a game that reaches out to one another in times of need.”

The NRL Telstra Premiership 2019 kicks off in one week – when Melbourne Storm host Brisbane Broncos at AAMI Park.
For the full NRL Telstra Premiership 2019 draw please visit nrl.com/draw and for tickets, visit nrl.com/tickets.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/08/nrl-telstra-premiership-2019-season-launched/

getsmarty

Immortal
Why I can be a feminist and support rugby league
Author
Mary Konstantopoulos NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 8 Mar 2019, 12:01 PM

Today is International Women's Day; a day where people across the world come together to celebrate the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. It's also used as a call to action to promote messages about gender diversity, inclusion and the push for parity.

When it comes to diversity and inclusion, sport has been a beacon over the last couple of years as sports fans in Australia have witnessed and been part of a revolution in women's sport. Now young girls across the country grow up knowing they can pursue a multitude of sports via competitions that are either professional or working towards that status including the WNRL, AFLW, WNBL, WBBL, W-League, Super W and Super Netball.

Most importantly, the next generation of kids is growing up knowing that men and women play sport; they have never known any other way.

There has been plenty of progress on the field, but given the tumultuous NRL off-season which has been tarnished by allegations of assault and rape and the non-consensual filming and release of several sex tapes, I've been asked several times whether any progress has been made off it and whether the NRL is genuine in its claims about being a sport that welcomes everyone.

At times it is extremely challenging to reconcile my feminism with my support of not just rugby league, but sport in general.

Given our country's obsession with sport, allegations of player misbehaviour are often the source of major news, dominate the cycle and our daily conversations. At times this news can seem overwhelming and depressing.

Despite feeling this way, I strongly believe it is easier to walk away from an interest than to acknowledge that our sports are a reflection of our society and many of the issues confronting the NRL at the moment are also widespread in the Australian community.

Rather than bury my head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist elsewhere, I want to be a fan that speaks out against socially unacceptable behaviour, change the conversation and ask for more from the players that represent our clubs and communities.

When people ask me how I can be a feminist and support rugby league, I tell them this.

Five years ago, when I first began writing and commentating about footy, I hadn't considered that women also played rugby league. You can't be what you can't see and I had never seen women holding a Steeden. But then I found out about a talented group of women called the Australian Jillaroos and realised if I didn't know who they were then there would be plenty of other rugby league fans who didn't either.

So I began sharing their stories and joined a community of other people that did the same.

1gp_5128-copy.jpg

Sam Bremner joins the Jillaroos celebrations after the World Cup final. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
Over the last five years, thanks to women past and present who have played the game, advocacy and increased media attention, we now have a clear pathway for women and girls, a women's competition and an expectation that women will play footy. If there is an international fixture featuring the men, it's expected the women will get the opportunity to play too.

This new state of affairs is of course the result of plenty of work done within the game and an NRL decision to champion the women's game, but the contributions of those who have pushed and advocated along the way cannot be discounted.

As fans, our voices are powerful and we should not underestimate the impact that we can have on decisions about how our game is governed and our expectations about those who play the game.

The NRL leadership do listen to our voices and we can help drive change.

We saw another powerful example of this last week. Todd Greenberg and Peter Beattie fronted the media to announce that the Australian Rugby League Commission will stand down players facing serious indictable offences on full pay while they are before the courts without any presumption of guilt following a national conversation about player behaviour. A serious indictable offence is one that carries a maximum jail term of at least 11 years.

Some may say that this is too late given that plenty have advocated for years about stronger action in relation to players that have either been charged or convicted of an offence. But irrespective of timing, this change tells the community that serious allegations, particularly of violence against women are taken seriously.

It's very easy to point to this off-season and suggest that the NRL does not care about women. But this change in policy tells me that they do. The relationships that the NRL has with Our Watch and the Full Stop Foundation also tells me that they do; our players are some of the best educated in society around respectful relationships.

Potentially this message is not getting through, but after the new policy announcement perhaps it will.

Women play a fundamental role in our game. They are mums that drive their kids to footy. They are administrators. They are leaders. They are referees. They are fans. They are players. Their voices are important and valued. But at their core, they are people. And need to be seen first and foremost in this way.

So this International Women's Day, I want to encourage all women who are finding it hard to justify their love of footy at the moment to remember that you have a powerful voice. Don't be afraid to use to encourage and push so that our game can be the best it can be.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/08/why-i-can-be-a-feminist-and-support-rugby-league/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons miss out on Sam Kasiano as outgoing Storm prop signs with Catalans in UK Super League
Dragons
james_hooper.jpg

976951dd6f3110f34091a8d6972316b5

Sam Kasiano will link up with French outfit Catalans in the UK Super League.Source: AAP
St George Illawarra have missed out on a last ditch play to sign Melbourne forward Sam Kasiano who will join French team Les Catalans in the UK Super League.
The NRL Dragons made a late play to bring Kasiano to Wollongong for this season but the Storm forward has instead opted for the security of a three year deal with Catalans in Perpignan.

Every game of every round of the NRL LIVE with no ad-breaks during play. Get it all on Foxtel.

St George Illawarra still have one position available on the Red V roster irrespective of what happens with Jack de Belin’s Federal Court appeal.

If de Belin is stood down, the Dragons will have two positions available in their top 30.

The Storm had reportedly been looking to offload a player to relieve salary cap pressure and Kasiano was one name thrown up in recent weeks.

The move means the Storm will be salary cap compliant for the opening game of the season against the Broncos next Thursday night.

The Storm had been slightly over the salary cap spending limit of $9.6 million prior to moving Kasiano, meaning captain Cameron Smith’s deal will be registered leading into round one.

On Thursday it was revealed the Dragons had been in talks with the 28-year-old former Storm and Bulldogs prop to bolster their forward pack as doubt hangs over de Belin’s chances to take the field this season.

The Dragons are believed to have minimal space left in their salary cap, but are yet to apply for dispensation from the NRL over de Belin’s potential stand down.

“They’ve got an opportunity to apply. The decision said it was not automatic salary cap relief,” ARLC chair Peter Beattie told NRL 360 on Thursday.

“They’ve got to apply to the salary cap auditor to get relief because we want to make sure in the future we have a standard where clubs are complying with the culture we’re setting.

“They need to apply for it and that was made clear at the news conference.

“I’ve seen St George (at the NRL season launch), they’re smart people and I’m sure they’ll put an application in.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/22e2ccf8a05f51e19d6916d37dec1a98

getsmarty

Immortal
March 8 2019 - 12:30PM
Fearless advice about St George Illawarra Dragons' NRL title hopes
Dragons Den
r0_0_3200_1799_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Pain: James Graham and Ben Hunt react after the semi-final loss to South Sydney last year. Picture: AAP Image/Craig Golding

One of the arguments raised against the idea of an NRL playoff weekend was it opening the door for a team finishing 10th winning a premiership.

So we went to one man who has come closest to it happening, now Dragons Jersey Flegg coach Willie Talau.

Talau famously scored a try in the 1998 preliminary final, as the Bulldogs came from 16 points down with 11 minutes remaining against Parramatta to make it through to the grand final.

The Dogs had come from ninth in a 10-team finals series, the year the competition reformed at the end of the Super League war.

And while Canterbury ultimately lost the decider, 38-12 to an all-star Brisbane team after leading by two at half-time, it was arguably the greatest fairytale run in history, winning eight games in a row to be on the biggest stage.

Talau had only made his debut in round 17 that year.

He said it would be almost impossible for a struggling team to finish 10th and win the title simply from the playoff lifeline, adamant you need momentum and consistency in form in the weeks before.

But there is one factor which any low-ranked team does need to march through September.

"Be fearless," Talau said.

"We were fearless. Most of us were just young kids without a lot of first grade experience. We'd had a lot of injuries that year, I'd been playing park footy and only got my chance because Paul Mellor and Steve Hughes had been injured.

"That comeback was all a blur, but that's what happens when you're fearless, the momentum carries you. There was a bit of destiny about it.

"Suddenly we're there on grand final against your idols like Steve Renouf. In the end it wasn't to be."

The advice about being fearless could come in handy for St George Illawarra this year, who are attempting to break a habit of late-season slides. Form has always been an inexact science, but the Dragons lost eight of their last 12 games in 2017 to finish ninth.

They they then lost seven of 11 to crash to seventh after leading the competition in round 16 last year, before pulling off a stunning elimination final win over Brisbane and narrowly going down to Souths in the semi-final. Talau is moulding the next generation of Dragons' talent after a stint in the Bulldogs development coaching ranks.

The 20 years and under competition kicks off on March 23, with the Dragons taking on South Sydney at Redfern.

Talau suffered a setback when talented James Coyne, the son of Dragons and Queensland great Mark Coyne, suffered a shoulder dislocation in pre-season.

The squad also features a Steelers bloodline via Tyran Wishart, the son of Rod.

"There's a lot of young guys in the squad, but we've been training for 16 weeks and we're almost ready to go," he said. "The Dragons have been great in helping guide these guys towards an elite career, so it was too good an opportunity to miss coaching these guys."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...likely-premiers-almost-certainly-not/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons want NRL to pay up for a Jack de Belin replacement as no-fault rule finally drafted
Dragons
  • March 10, 2019 12:42pm
  • by Staff writers with AAP
  • Source: AAP
d3b26014114dbf354a4bc501aa6963a4

St George Illawarra Dragons player Jack de Belin is suing the NRL over his playing ban.Source: AAP
The Dragons are demanding the NRL foot the bill for Jack de Belin’s replacement if his legal bid to overturn the game’s ‘no-fault’ standown isn’t granted.

According to Fairfax, the Dragons have asked the NRL to bear the cost of replacing banned players, under the idea that the ‘no-fault’ rule would have a greater impact on clubs in a less financially secure position.

While the Dragons wait to see if de Belin’s bid to overturn his NRL ordered suspension is granted, it’s believed neither the Panthers or Manly will apply for salary cap exemption for Tyrone May and Dylan Walker, both of whom have also been banned by the new policy.

Every game of every round of the NRL LIVE with no ad-breaks during play. Get it all on Foxtel.

Round 1
Meanwhile, the NRL’s new no-fault stand-down policy is one step closer to being enacted with ARL Commissioners to meet on Monday to approve the rule.

Just a day after the Federal Court ruled de Belin was technically not yet stood down as the rule hadn’t been enacted, the ARL Commission (ARLC) received a draft of it on Friday night.

Commissioners have spent the weekend considering the details of the new rule and will come together on Monday to discuss its approval.

2ff254e12ad243e4ae5c5976906e7335

St George Illawarra Dragons player Jack de Belin is suing the NRL over his playing ban.Source: AAP
“It will then be implemented. It will be in place before the season starts,” ARL Commission chairman Peter Beattie said.

“When the Commission announced its stance on February 28, it had always intended that the necessary changes in the rules would need to be finalised in consultation with our legal advisers, recognising that the applicable new rules would be in place prior to the start of the season.”

Beattie announced last month the rule will include players being automatically stood down if charged with a crime that faces a sentence of 11 years or more, while chief executive Todd Greenberg will have discretionary powers to sideline players charged with other offences.

f65b3a20d993a7aecdd57841d4bcac4f

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg (left) and ARLC Chairman Peter Beattie (right) chat ahead of the 2019 NRL Season Launch in Sydney.Source: AAP
Essentially, it means de Belin will again be stood down on Monday if and when the rule is approved, as will Walker and May under the discretionary powers.

All will remain on full pay and be able to continue training with their respective teams, as per the original details announced by Beattie and Greenberg.

It will come just three days before the season kicks off and before de Belin’s case against the NRL returns to court on Thursday morning.

There, it’s expected that de Belin will try and stop the ARLC and NRL from implementing the rule, in turn allowing him to play until his court case on an aggravated sexual assault charge is complete.

The NSW State of Origin lock has strenuously denied the charge from an alleged incident last December and pleaded not guilty in a Wollongong court in February.

17f867a3fa7158f65f0ffeb5d4a92df6

Jack de Belin in action for the Dragons.Source: Getty Images
The 27-year-old is also attempting to sue the league on the basis it did not have the power to stand him down late last month, and claims the NRL engaged in misleading and deceptive conduct.

Beattie last week admitted his job as ARLC chairman was on the line over his determination to fix the cultural and behaviour issues plaguing the game.

But the former Queensland Premier told sponsors at Thursday night’s season launch to stick with the code as the new rules would work.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/ceac1c224ce9f6a7320c2d19617d948f

getsmarty

Immortal
nrl-group_0014.jpg

MADGE ON SUNDAY

Bold 2019 NRL predictions by a league-loving blonde
Author
Margie McDonald Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 10 Mar 2019, 12:01 PM

So here we are, just days away from Storm and the Broncos kicking the 2019 Telstra Premiership season off in Melbourne (not the heartland capitals of Sydney or Brisbane). Already we have a season of surprises. Let's not stop there.

I'm letting loose with 13 hopes, fears, dreams, desires for the year ahead. Why 13? Well that's the number of starters in an NRL team so it doesn't seem unlucky to me.

Apologies to anyone offended, these are only my predictions, there's a fair chance many of them won't come true but 'tis the season to look ahead at the season.

Here's my bold predictions
No coach sackings
The 16 NRL coaches who start to stress in round one will be the same 16 who contemplate what went right or wrong by the end of round 25. I'll go so far as saying the same 16 will be at helm in round one 2020, because it seems the Dragons and Bulldogs want Paul McGregor and Dean Pay to stay.

The only other coach off contract in 2019 is Brad Arthur and while he appears to be on more shaky ground, the Eels can only go one way – 'Up' – from the bottom of the ladder. A few notches higher is more than possible with this year's squad, which means Arthur keeps his job a little longer.

Trent's homecoming
Like a host of other fallen NRL head coaches, Barrett will end up as an assistant coach much like David Furner, John Cartwright and Stephen Kearney (briefly) did at other clubs in the past. And the Dragons seem the most likely in a mid-year signing.

He played 199 games combined for Illawarra and then St George Illawarra, across 11 seasons, and has recently returned to live in the area. He is also great mates with McGregor.

barrettt-180427nh23.jpg

Former Manly coach Trent Barrett. :copyright:Nathan Hopkins/NRL Photos
Origin double
NSW centre Isabelle Kelly wins back-to-back "woman of the match" awards in June's Holden Women's State of Origin.

Hodgson hits the heights
Raiders hooker Josh Hodgson becomes just the third No.9 to win the Dally M Medal, joining Danny Buderus (2004) and Cameron Smith (2006, 2017) in the exclusive club.

Kevvie gets the blues
When I said no coach sacking, I was referring to clubs. NSW win back-to-back Origin series in 2019 and that signals the end for Kevin Walters, despite the fact he has year to go on his contract. Anthony Seibold is handed the reins for 2020.

Ponga No.1 gun
Kalyn Ponga takes over from Billy Slater as fullback for the Maroons, relegating Greg Inglis to his familiar spot at left centre for his last Origin series. While we're in that vein, Inglis remains at centre for his final two Australian Tests as James Tedesco keeps his grip on No.1.

Test captain
Mal Meninga breaks with tradition and names co-captains of the Kangaroos for 2019 matches against New Zealand and Tonga. No surprises that will be Inglis and Boyd Cordner.

Meninga wants to restore Inglis's good name after the captaincy was stripped last October, but he also has great respect (and loyalty) for the job Cordner did.

Breaking new ground #1
Manly gets their first female CEO as Lyall Gorman, like Barry Russell, grows tired of the constant battles and stress. Coach Des Hasler is fine with the decision as he's worked for a female boss in Raelene Castle at the Bulldogs.

Breaking new ground #2
Kasey Badger joins Belinda Sleeman in getting an assistant referee gig at NRL games this year. Hopefully in 2020 both women are promoted to senior referee status – the first women in the NRL to do so.

New Commission chair
The ARL Commission appoints its first woman as chair, replacing Peter Beattie at the season-end AGM. Megan Davis or Amanda Laing seem the most obvious but Katie Page still holds great esteem in the game and the Commission could always go back-to-back former Queensland premiers with Anna Bligh.

Storm warning
Melbourne Storm can't replace two golden-haired boys in two years – Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater – and fail to make the top four for only the second time in nine years (the other being sixth in 2014).

The fullback position becomes as problematic finding the right fit as halfback did in 2018. And yes, the Storm made the grand final anyway, but not this time.

Cleary combo comes up big
Ivan and Nathan Cleary become the first father-and-son to win an NRL premiership in 15 years, since John and Martin Lang did in 2003. And it's at the same club – Penrith!

World Cup 9s
Fiji win the inaugural Downer RLIF World Cup 9s throwing the ball around and delighting the crowd at BankWest Stadium like the Fijian Sevens men did to win 2016 Olympic gold in Rio. Australia wins the women's 9s trophy.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/11/bold-2019-nrl-predictions-by-a-league-loving-blonde/

getsmarty

Immortal
widdopg_rc1_8968.jpg

DRAGONS

Tough conversations as UK calls for Widdop
Author
Dan Walsh NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 11 Mar 2019, 11:19 AM
walshdan-head.png

Gareth Widdop once marched into Craig Bellamy's office, 60-odd NRL games and a Storm title to his name, and left the Melbourne mastermind speechless.

"I’m about to sign with the Dragons, when’s a good time to tell the lads?" the young Englishman told Bellamy, no fuss, no muss.

Since that frank chat six years ago, Widdop and his family have become ingrained in the St George Illawarra inner sanctum and in turn the wider Wollongong community.

Widdop captains the club, his son Brayden runs his kicking tee and the English international apparently knows the name of every kid who crosses his path in the northern Illawarra suburb of Thirroul.

All of which makes his shift to Warrington at season's end, and the conversations around it, that much tougher.

When news of an impending Super League switch for the 29-year-old first broke, his kids feared they were UK-bound the next day.

St George Illawarra instead have a whole season with Widdop leading the side.

And one more crack at adding another premiership ring to the collection before he and his family make a move that has been more than a decade in the making.

"It has been on my mind ever since I moved out here," Widdop told NRL.com.

"I've always wanted to go back and play since I first came out at 16. It's been no secret that I've wanted to go back and play home at some point.

"These are tough decisions, but you come across them in life and this is just one of them that we've made. I'm looking forward to it but it's still a long way off at the moment.

"I don't want to go into it too much out of respect to my teammates, the sponsors and our fans. It's a decision that was made a long time ago now.

"My main focus now is making sure that in this last year at the Dragons I'm going out there and doing everything possible to have some success."

Widdop is reluctant to dwell too long on his return to his motherland, but more comfortable with lifting the Dragons back to the promised one.

Jack de Belin's playing fate aside, Paul McGregor well and truly has a roster of his own making.

"I came into the club when it probably wasn't in the best position," Widdop said.

"I've been here for six, seven years now and it's taken that long to get the roster that the coaches want and it's a really competitive roster.

"Last year for a number of reasons we didn't get there but our team hasn't gone backwards. We've added Corey Norman, we've lost Leeson Ah Mau but we've got Korbin Sims.

"You'd like to think the squad's the same if not a little bit more experienced."

Norman's introduction to the red and white shifts Widdop to fullback for the first time at club level since those days at Melbourne, though a standout 2017 World Cup campaign in England's No.1 jersey puts he and McGregor at ease with the spinal adjustment.

widdopg-1gp_6354.jpg

Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
The coach has also outlined a plan for livewire custodian Matt Dufty to play from the pine, with Widdop able to shift into the halves alongside Norman and Ben Hunt pushing into hooker.

Widdop is open to the in-game changes and the luxury of attacking options compared to seasons past, provided the playmakers have enough time to truly nut out their combinations.

"I think if you come up with something you need to stick with it and give it a good crack," Widdop said.

"We've got that ability to rotate and change things, we've all played in those positions.

"But generally in the spine you don't want to tweak things too much, I've got the mindset that I am going to be at fullback for a full year or at least a large part of it.

"Each week it will be different, you don't want to be tweaking your spine too much and changing things but we do have that option.

"Each game is going to be different for whatever reason but we can use Duft like that because I can switch into the front line if he's to come on with his speed and footwork, that could be really useful against a tired defence."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/11/tough-conversations-as-uk-calls-for-widdop/

getsmarty

Immortal
Jordan Pereira extends stay at St George Illawarra
Dragons Den
r0_43_2786_1609_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Long-term plans: Winger Jordan Pereira will remain with the Dragons until the end of the 2021 season after signing a contract extension. Picture: NRL Photos.

Jordan Pereira looks set to become a mainstay on the wing for the Dragons after the club extended his contract to the end of 2021.

After re-signing with St George Illawarra for the 2019 and 2020 seasons last September, the New Zealander has agreed to a one-year extension after impressing throughout the pre-season.

The extension caps a rapid rise for the 25-year-old, who only arrived at the club midway through the 2017 season and made his NRL debut in round 19 last year.

With Jason Nightingale retiring and Nene Macdonald moving to the North Queensland Cowboys, Pereira looks set to claim a starting spot for Saturday night's round one clash with the Cowboys in Townsville.

And if the extension is anything to go by, he will likely remain there for the upcoming three seasons.

Pereira was thrilled to have extended his time at the club.

"The long-term future is the key for me," Pereira said. "The security is huge for my partner and I. This will open many opportunities for us in the future as far as kids, buying a house and other things we're looking forward to.

"When I arrived at the Dragons, I knew I wasn't ready to play first grade but I knew if I was going to be ready I'd have to become a sponge and soak up all the information of the leaders and coaching staff around me.

"They have been crucial for my development, and the best thing is that I'm still learning."

Dragons recruitment manager Ian Millward said Pereira has improved in leaps and bounds since arriving in Wollongong and the club expects him to continue to develop as he becomes more comfortable at the NRL level.

"The biggest thing about Jordan is he's been on a fantastic journey and his attitude throughout has been admirable," Millward said. "He has improved significantly in training when you compare his first pre-season to now.

"We see nothing but improvement in Jordan as he evolves off the field in his training and also with further experience in the NRL. It's a no-brainer to keep him at the club, considering also his ability."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5946414/dragons-re-sign-emerging-winger/?cs=3713

possm

Coach
widdopg_rc1_8968.jpg

DRAGONS

Tough conversations as UK calls for Widdop
Author
Dan Walsh NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 11 Mar 2019, 11:19 AM
walshdan-head.png

Gareth Widdop once marched into Craig Bellamy's office, 60-odd NRL games and a Storm title to his name, and left the Melbourne mastermind speechless.

"I’m about to sign with the Dragons, when’s a good time to tell the lads?" the young Englishman told Bellamy, no fuss, no muss.

Since that frank chat six years ago, Widdop and his family have become ingrained in the St George Illawarra inner sanctum and in turn the wider Wollongong community.

Widdop captains the club, his son Brayden runs his kicking tee and the English international apparently knows the name of every kid who crosses his path in the northern Illawarra suburb of Thirroul.

All of which makes his shift to Warrington at season's end, and the conversations around it, that much tougher.

When news of an impending Super League switch for the 29-year-old first broke, his kids feared they were UK-bound the next day.

St George Illawarra instead have a whole season with Widdop leading the side.

And one more crack at adding another premiership ring to the collection before he and his family make a move that has been more than a decade in the making.

"It has been on my mind ever since I moved out here," Widdop told NRL.com.

"I've always wanted to go back and play since I first came out at 16. It's been no secret that I've wanted to go back and play home at some point.

"These are tough decisions, but you come across them in life and this is just one of them that we've made. I'm looking forward to it but it's still a long way off at the moment.

"I don't want to go into it too much out of respect to my teammates, the sponsors and our fans. It's a decision that was made a long time ago now.

"My main focus now is making sure that in this last year at the Dragons I'm going out there and doing everything possible to have some success."

Widdop is reluctant to dwell too long on his return to his motherland, but more comfortable with lifting the Dragons back to the promised one.

Jack de Belin's playing fate aside, Paul McGregor well and truly has a roster of his own making.

"I came into the club when it probably wasn't in the best position," Widdop said.

"I've been here for six, seven years now and it's taken that long to get the roster that the coaches want and it's a really competitive roster.

"Last year for a number of reasons we didn't get there but our team hasn't gone backwards. We've added Corey Norman, we've lost Leeson Ah Mau but we've got Korbin Sims.

"You'd like to think the squad's the same if not a little bit more experienced."

Norman's introduction to the red and white shifts Widdop to fullback for the first time at club level since those days at Melbourne, though a standout 2017 World Cup campaign in England's No.1 jersey puts he and McGregor at ease with the spinal adjustment.

widdopg-1gp_6354.jpg

Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
The coach has also outlined a plan for livewire custodian Matt Dufty to play from the pine, with Widdop able to shift into the halves alongside Norman and Ben Hunt pushing into hooker.

Widdop is open to the in-game changes and the luxury of attacking options compared to seasons past, provided the playmakers have enough time to truly nut out their combinations.

"I think if you come up with something you need to stick with it and give it a good crack," Widdop said.

"We've got that ability to rotate and change things, we've all played in those positions.

"But generally in the spine you don't want to tweak things too much, I've got the mindset that I am going to be at fullback for a full year or at least a large part of it.

"Each week it will be different, you don't want to be tweaking your spine too much and changing things but we do have that option.

"Each game is going to be different for whatever reason but we can use Duft like that because I can switch into the front line if he's to come on with his speed and footwork, that could be really useful against a tired defence."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/11/tough-conversations-as-uk-calls-for-widdop/

I note that Widdop does not see the loss of Macdonald and Nightingale who both were replaced by inexperienced wingers together with the poor form oa Aitken as notable influences on this years roster.

I'm sure if the two new wingers find form, if Aitken is dropped, if Robson is in the hooker rotation and if De Belin is not stood down, we will end up being May ladder leaders. Whether we can stay atop of the ladder is another thing altogether.

getsmarty

Immortal
dragons-crowd-180909704-sd.jpg

DRAGONS

Red V Members event in Brisbane
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Mon 11 Mar 2019, 04:09 PM

Red V Members are invited to come along and meet the players ahead of their Round 3 match with Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium on Thursday 28 March.

Visit marchwithus.com.au to become a Red V Member today.

This is a great opportunity for our interstate Red V Members to meet their favourite players!

• Where: Sofitel Brisbane
  • When: Wednesday 27 March
  • Time: 5.15pm - 6.00pm
Please RSVP by visiting www.marchwithus.com.au or clicking here.

This event is part of the exclusive Red V Member benefits, which remain the foundation of member investment.

Member benefits include the best value tickets, savings on merchandise, access to players, exclusive member events and exclusive benefit items together with all that is new in 2019.

It's not too late to become a Red V Member for 2019!

Visit marchwithus.com.au to find the package that suits you, and become a Red V Member today!

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/11/red-v-members-event-in-brisbane/

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra players focused as Jack de Belin ban confirmed
Dragons Den
r0_161_5184_3145_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Suspended: Jack de Belin. Picture: Robert Peet.

The Dragons have vowed to leave the Jack de Belin drama in the pre-season as they prepare to open their NRL campaign in Townsville on Saturday night.

The clash with the Cowboys will mark the end of a tumultuous off-season for the club, with questions surrounding de Belin's availability swirling since he was charged with aggravated sexual assault in December.

The Australian Rugby League Commission officially implemented the new no-fault stand down policy on Monday night after de Belin challenged the validity of his ban in court last week.

The confirmation of the policy means de Belin will be sidelined until court proceedings have played out.

Strike forward Tariq Sims conceded the uncertainty has acted as a distraction throughout the pre-season, however he's confident the team will be able to put the saga behind them once the season begins.

"I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t disrupting the camp," Sims said. "But we've got multiple players that have been training in his position throughout the year.

"Whether we keep Friz [Tyson Frizell] there, or we've got young Lachlan Timm, Josh Kerr, my brother Korbin coming after two weeks, Blake Lawrie. We've got a lot of options, we just need to make sure if we're called upon, we do our best job.

"At the moment, Jack's welfare is our main priority. There's obviously going to be a lot of back and forth with him in the court systems. With everything that's going on in the papers, I think it's a bit out of line, I think it needs to go before the courts before we throw our opinions around."

The off-season has been a busy one for St George Illawarra, with captain Gareth Widdop announcing 2019 will be his last year at the club and Eels half Corey Norman arriving in December.

Desperate to add to the premiership he won with the Storm in 2012, Widdop is confident the drama won't detract from the Dragons title chances.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5946414/dragons-re-sign-emerging-winger/?cs=3713Read more: Dragons re-sign emerging winger

"Obviously it's been in the paper every single day for the last couple of weeks," Widdop said. "You can't hide from it. But I keep saying it all the time, we turn up to training with a job individually and as a team to do. The coach has given us a role to play and that's all we can worry about.

"We can make sure we're there for Jack, obviously his welfare is the most important thing, make sure he's alright, but he seems to be okay. It's there, but it's not going to be a distraction, we can't let it be. We've got a job to do, to go out and play football."

With de Belin's ban likely to last many months, Sims recognises the remainder of the forward pack must step up to fill the void left by the absence of a representative forward.

It's a challenge, Sims believes, the pack is up for.

"Jack brings experience, but also passion and pride," Sims said. "We've got myself, Paul Vaughan, James Graham, Jeremy Lattimore, Tyson Frizell, they're some pretty handy players that do bring a lot of spirit and pride and passion in their game.

"If that means we all have to lift an extra 5 per cent, then so be it.

"After a couple of weeks we get Korbin back [from suspension], he's just as big and just as ugly as Jack. He plays the same style of game, he hits through the middle, he ball-plays really well, he makes some smart options defensive-wise and he'll be a really great player for us."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ayers-focused-despite-de-belin-drama/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Sacrifices have Luciano Leilua ready to take St George Illawarra Dragons chance
  • Local Sport
    r0_428_4183_2780_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Magic man: Luciano Leilua scores a try for the Dragons in their elimination finals win over Brisbane last season. Picture: Dave Hunt/AAP Image

• Luciano Leilua's big goal for 2019 is simple - to make it impossible for Paul McGregor to leave him out of the team.

The dynamic 22-year-old came of age at the back end of last season, highlighted by his try in the elimination finals win over the Broncos in Brisbane.

Leilua, a Hurstville United junior, will have an early chance to stake a claim for a place in the Dragons' squad with new signing Korbin Sims suspended for the first two weeks of the competition and Jack de Belin's unavailability.

With Tyson Frizell shifting to lock in place of de Belin, space has opened up on the right edge. And Leilua is keen to fill it.

Leilua told the Leader the message from McGregor was clear.

"Mary has just spoken to me about playing consistent footy," he said.

"He wants me to keep pushing him to keep playing me. I've got to make him pick me and give him reasons why I should be picked in the team every week.

"That's where I've got to keep pushing, especially with things like my defensive efforts. Pre-season was tough but I think I handled it pretty well.

"I think consistency is the big one for me. And also my defence, just being a little bit better in my effort areas. I think if I can fix those things in my game then my attack will just come on the back of that."

The former Australian Schoolboys representative and Endeavour Sports High student has sacrificed plenty in the off-season to get himself into contention for round one.

A commitment to his diet and to extra cardio training has seen Leilua reach his optimal playing weight of 112 kilograms, which took plenty of work with St George Illawarra's high performance staff to achieve.

Leilua is now keen to make the most of the opportunity available on the Dragons' right with the early mornings and late afternoons of extra training having paid off.

"I think for me my goal this season is mainly to be playing consistent footy," he said.

"Also to try and get as many games as I can. I want to be a regular first grader, that's my main goal. I'm feeling really good and fit and healthy and just really ready for round one.

"I want to try and put my name in that top 17 each round. I think everyone wants to be a starter. You've got to earn the respect of the players and the coaching staff to get a starting spot.

"But I'll always play and do what's best for the team. It's totally up to Mary. I put a lot of my faith in Mary and the coaching staff. It's up to them to make the call and I know whoever they pick is going to rip in for the boys."

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/5942488/sacrifices-have-leilua-ready-to-take-chance/?cs=1633

getsmarty

Immortal
Corey Norman provides good headache for Dragons coach Paul McGregor: Tyson Frizell
  • Local Sport
    r340_716_4027_2685_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Time to shine: Dragons five-eighth Corey Norman. Picture: AAP Image

• Tyson Frizell believes Corey Norman's signing has given Paul McGregor the best possible headache for a coach.

St George Illawarra's acquisition of Norman has given them yet another x-factor in attack.

With Gareth Widdop likely to shift to fullback, Norman will be expected to form an exciting halves pairing with star No.7 Ben Hunt.

With young wingers Jordan Pereira and Zac Lomax expected to excite out wide alongside Tim Lafai and Euan Aitken, the Dragons have strike all over the field. Then there is speedster Matt Dufty.

"It's a bit of a tough one there. Not for us players, [Norman is] a great asset and a great player to have. I think more for Mary, in terms of what he wants to do with the spine," Frizell said.

"Because you've got Dufty, Normy, Gareth, Ben Hunt. They all can't fit in. It's a headache I think Mary likes to have. It seems like Gaz is going to move to the back and Normy will probably start in the halves but whether that's for round one after the way it played out in the trials.

"I think it's a work in progress. Who knows, it might change throughout the year depending on how we go. They're great players. [Norman] is a great player to have into our squad and as a new addition he's another x-factor that we've brought into the side along with Dufty. Whether he starts at the back or comes off the bench he's a handy player to have. A player that can break open a game which is something we might need in close games or big games to have someone like that with that x-factor help us get over the line.

"It's exciting for us and for Dragons fans to have these players in our side. And hopefully it comes together for us."

St George Illawarra's deadly spine - which also includes livewire hooker Cameron McInnes - appears to have plenty of points in it.

But Frizell warned against expecting too much too soon as their big guns started to gel.

"I don't know if we can expect them to light it up every game, it's going to take time with all these quality players," he said.

"Collectively as a team we've got to be performing together each week and for those guys to stand out we need to be playing well as a group. Hopefully we can do that sooner rather than later but hopefully fans will be itching to come and watch us play."
https://www.theleader.com.au/story/5944329/norman-asks-question-of-mary/?cs=1633

getsmarty

Immortal
Widdop's last shot at NRL title with St George Illawarra Dragons
Local Sport
r0_236_5315_3543_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Grand plan: Gareth Widdop. Picture: John Veage

At some point between September 7 and October 6, St George Illawarra captain Gareth Widdop will farewell the fans for the final time.

The worst case scenario presents a quiet exit to a handful of Dragons supporters on the Gold Coast, after missing the finals.

Obviously, the dream would be joining Ben Hornby in the pages of history as a premiership-winning leader at ANZ Stadium a month later.

Certainly, Widdop will be hoping his departure from Australia will be more successful and less messy than his homeland's political push to leave the European Union.

The measure of Widdop's Brexit will be determined by how well he makes the shift to fullback - and the moving parts around it, controlled by coach Paul McGregor.

Even in itself, Widdop's switch is remarkable, bucking the long-running trend of players who move from the No.1 jersey into the halves.

Initially a fullback, Hornby was the levelled-headed No.7 who broke the drought in 2010. Darren Lockyer was Brisbane's Dally M fullback-of-the-year in 1998 and Clive Churchill Medallist in 2000, before winning a third title at five-eighth with the Broncos in 2006.

Widdop already has his own premiership ring as five-eighth in the Storm's 2012 triumph over the Bulldogs and is now trying to do it in reverse in his Dragons swansong.

"Everyone knows i’m going back home at the end of the year, it’s still a long way away, for me," he said.

"Obviously bringing in Corey (Norman) enables the spine to move around a little bit.

"It’s something Mary sat down and spoke to me about, in the end i said whatever he feels is best for the team, I’m happy with.

"I played five-eighth my whole NRL career, I’m a five-eighth, but i’m enjoying it at the back. It’s a new challenge for me, iIve done it before, for England, things like that, it’s enjoyable.

"I think the biggest difference is obviously doing it for 24 rounds, instead of doing it for 6-7 weeks is going to be the biggest challenge."

Widdop's move allows Norman, who arrived from Parramatta amid an old social media video storm, to partner Ben Hunt in the halves.

It also provides McGregor with the flexibility of using Hunt and Cameron McInnes as a dummy-half tag-team, when he can pull the trigger against tiring forwards, with the added firepower of Matt Dufty playing the bench utility role.

Still the Dragons have to shake the reputation for late-season fadeouts, having lost eight of their last 12 to miss the finals in 2017, again stumbling last year, dropping six of their last nine to qualify in seventh.

Widdop has played 185 games in the NRL since making his debut the year St George Illawarra won the title.

The breakdown includes 115 for the Dragons, out of the shadow of Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith.

Cronk won a premiership effectively with one arm last year at the Roosters. Smith won another title at the Storm in 2017.

r0_0_5030_3096_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Charge: Dragons forward Jack de Belin. Picture: Paul Barkley/NRL Photos

Another ex-Melbourne superstar, Greg Inglis was part of the South Sydney fairytale in 2014. This is Widdop's final hope.

"There’s no reason why not," Widdop said on Monday.

"Obviously a lot of things need to get right before that, you need to have belief, that’s what we play the game for, to win premierships and we do have the squad to do it."

Flagging his intention to leave last year, Widdop agreed to be part of the upcoming campaign rather than force a hurried last goodbye and put McGregor's plans in disarray. And yet still the Dragons off-season has been anything but smooth.

The rape charges levelled against Jack de Belin have rocked the playing group, as much as they retreat within the club "bubble" and McGregor has enforce an edict they must keep focus on what's ahead on the field. Whatever happens in the de Belin court case, it will drag on for some time to come, the shadow cast.

The NRL's new no-fault policy to stand down players accused of serious crimes, challenged by de Belin in the Federal Court last week, has presented a selection headache.

McGregor has enlisted NSW forward Tyson Frizell to move into the middle and take on de Belin's defensive workload.

The alternative may well be for Korbin Sims, recruited from Brisbane, to fill de Belin's gap and Frizell to return to the second-row, but the youngest of the famous Gerringong rugby league family is suspended until round three.

But the Charity Shield exposed some major defensive worries for the Dragons, with Jacob Host taking Frizell's place on the right edge and Ben Hunt in combination with Zac Lomax, Euan Aitken and Mikaele Ravalawa.

You need to have belief, that’s what we play the game for, to win premierships and we do have the squad to do it.

Gareth Widdop
Perhaps they would have had teething problems anyway, given they are without the experience of Jason Nightingale and Nene Macdonald.

McGregor has offered no excuses, given the Dragons stunned Brisbane 48-18 in last year's elimination final and, without Widdop on the field, lost to Souths in the semi-final, but only after Adam Reynolds kicked three field goals.

"I think we showed that last year," McGregor said after the Charity Shield loss to the Rabbitohs.

"We didn't have Paul Vaughan for the finals series, we did alright without him.

"We lost Gareth (Widdop) going into the second final and we were up 8-2 at halftime until we lost Tariq (Sims). We lost Tariq and still only got beaten by a field goal.

"The same players are still here. No one's changed.

"It's just about now knuckling down and working towards what we need to do for round one. I think the resilience and learnings from last year are pretty important going into a fresh year."

r0_199_3888_2592_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Red and white delight: Wayne Bennett and Ben Hornby in Wollongong with the 2010 premiership. Picture: Ken Robertson

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...an-secure-nrl-premiership-for-dragons/?cs=302