What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
DRAGONS

McGregor backs 'versatile' Frizell in any position
Author
Tanisha Stanton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 14 Mar 2019, 02:01 PM
stantontanisha-head.png

St George Illawarra Dragons coach Paul McGregor insists Tyson Frizell's presence on the field is far more important than the number on his back.

Ahead of the Dragons' trip to North Queensland, McGregor shifted Frizell to lock in the absence of Jack de Belin, who was not eligible for selection under the NRL's recently implemented 'no-fault stand down' policy.

McGregor said the Dragons will monitor Frizell throughout Saturday's clash against the Cowboys at 1300SMILES Stadium but has no doubt the 27-year-old will make a seamless transition.

"Tyson is a versatile player that's played middle third for NSW and Australia," McGregor said.

"In the trial he was probably our best forward against Souths. He's a powerful forward and the more he's involved in the game the better the team is.

frizzelt-1gp_6260.jpg

Dragons back-rower Tyson Frizell. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
"He will handle that roll really well and we will make sure that we give him opportunity to rest as well, to get the benefit out of him playing in the middle."

The Dragons have made quite a few changes this season, with Gareth Widdop moving to fullback and Matt Dufty dropping to the bench.

Corey Norman has taken over at five-eighth, promising centre Zac Lomax was unable to secure a spot, while Mikaele Ravalawa, Jacob Host and Luciano Leilua were all selected to take on the Cowboys.

McGregor is looking forward to seeing the experienced Widdop lead from the back.

"Gareth needs to acknowledge sometimes how good he is," McGregor said.

widdopg-1gp_7061.jpg

Dragons fullback Gareth Widdop. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
"He went into the World Cup without hardly any training and he played three of the four games and was man of the match in three of them.

"We know how good he is and once he gets out there I'm sure he will show how good he is. He's been training [at fullback] on three months now so he's had a really good preparation.

"He understands the game better than most and he's our captain so he's a good voice from there as well."

The Dragons proved to be too good for the Cowboys on the one occasion they met in 2018, prevailing 24-10 at 1300SMILES Stadium.

McGregor said his team would have to match it with the Cowboys forwards if they wish to replicate that 2018 result.

"Their forwards are obviously where they lay their platform,” McGregor said.

"The addition of (Josh) McGuire, a player of his calibre coming off the interchange just goes to show how strong they are through the middle.

"It's a challenge for our forwards but it's not a task we aren't up to that for sure.

"They do play a power game - flat off the dummy-half and (Jake) Granville gets out really well.

"On the back of that (Michael) Morgan is back from not playing a lot of footy last year, so their back-line has changed quite a bit from previous years, with Nene (Macdonald) going to there and the young centre from Brisbane (Javid) Bowen getting his opportunity on the wing as well."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/14/mcgregor-backs-versatile-frizell-in-any-position/

getsmarty

Immortal
Lawrie ready to secure Dragons position in 2019
Dragons Den
r0_0_2452_2683_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Impact player: Forward Blake Lawrie. Picture: AAP Image/Michael Chambers.

St George Illawarra forward Blake Lawrie is looking forward to producing the best year of his young career, beginning against the Cowboys on Saturday night.

Entering his third season of first grade and with 15 career NRL games to his name, the Dapto junior is determined to play in every match for the Dragons in 2019.

"I'm looking to lock down a top 17 spot," Lawrie said. "I want to play every game this year, that's one of my goals."

Lawrie reocgnises, however, that his performance on the field must warrant regular selection if he is to achieve that goal, especially with Korbin Sims set to return from suspension in round three and Josh Kerr pushing for selection.

"I've got to perform to earn those minutes. I'm going out there with a positive attitude to try and get some more minutes under my belt, get the trust of the head coach to leave me out there for extended minutes.

"I've worked hard over the pre-season and I'm confident in my fitness ability to try and play those longer minutes."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ons-position-in-2019-as-season-nears/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL 2019: Where will your team finish this season?
  • Dragons Den

Footy's back.

Finally.

It feels like the longest off-season ever, given the seemingly endless string of off-field dramas endured by the NRL this summer.

But, as of Thursday night, we can start talking about tries and tackles, stars and flops again.

With the season upon us, Mercury sports editor Tim Barrow delivers his NRL predictions, believing even with the Allianz Stadium development, the Roosters can be the first team to go back-to-back since the Broncos in 1997-98 (including the Super League premiership) and 1992-93.

As for the Dragons, they'll be a genuine contender, casting aside the Jack de Belin court case and their recent late-season slides, as they push to send Gareth Widdop out as a premiership captain.

Check out the full club-by-club breakdown below and sign up for the Illawarra's best sports coverage online.

r0_26_3945_2253_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Time to strike: Tim Lafai. Picture: AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA
    Squad: Euan Aitken, Mitchell Allgood, Jack de Belin, Matthew Dufty, Jai Field, Tyson Frizell, James Graham, Jacob Host, Ben Hunt, Josh Kerr, Tim Lafai, Jeremy Latimore, Blake Lawrie, Luciano Leilua, Zac Lomax, Lachlan Maranta, Cameron McInnes, Darren Nicholls, Corey Norman, Jonus Pearson, Jordan Pereira, Mikaele Ravalawa, Reece Robson, Tristan Sailor, Korbin Sims, Tariq Sims, Lachlan Timm, Paul Vaughan, Gareth Widdop.

Coach: Paul McGregor

Premierships: 1 (St George 15 pre-joint venture)

Last year's finish: Seventh (semi-final)

2019 prediction: Third

Mercury says: Can they win the premiership? Absolutely. There should be an edge about the Dragons this year in Gareth Widdop's swansong, but he'll need to make his shift to fullback a success. We will see in the opening rounds whether the Jack de Belin court case has rattled them.
https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ill-your-nrl-team-finish-this-season/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
March 14 2019 - 9:00AM
St George Illawarra among contenders for 2019 NRL title, but Dragons need lady luck on their side
r117_272_3477_2154_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Saying goodbye: 2019 will be St George Illawarra captain Gareth Widdop's final season wearing the red V. Picture: Anna Warr

It has been an off-season of distraction at St George Illawarra.

While the fallout from the Jack de Belin saga has taken much of the spotlight, it's easy to forget that this will be the final season of watching Gareth Widdop wear the red V after he announced his departure at the end of this season.

What's even easier to forget is that the Dragons were only two games away from a grand final last season and, had injuries not struck at the worst possible time, would absolutely have been in contention for the title.

They could have beaten South Sydney in week two of the finals. But had Paul Vaughan, Widdop and Tariq Sims not been unavailable, who knows what they might have been capable of.

The fact is this Dragons side is comparable to the team that tore up the competition for the first half of last season. But their young players have a year's more experience and Ben Hunt is now settled in his new home.

The pick up of the undeniably talented Corey Norman to play five-eighth gives the Dragons another x-factor. His halves combination with former Queensland No.7 Hunt looks among the most balanced - and dangerous - in the NRL.

Then there is Korbin Sims, brother of Tariq, who has joined from Brisbane to add further strength to the forward pack.

There are losses. The biggest concern being Leeson Ah Mau's move to the Warriors. Valuable utility Kurt Mann has joined Newcastle and talented youngster Hame Sele has joined Penrith.

r0_0_1875_2813_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

X-factor: Dragons fans will be excited to see what exciting five-eighth Corey Norman can bring to the club. Picture: Dan Himbrechts/AAP Image

Some may also question the depth of the Dragons' outside backs with Jason Nightingale's retirement and Nene Macdonald's switch to North Queensland.

But the introduction of youngsters Zac Lomax and Jordan Pereira - with just 13 NRL games between them - could add spark out wide.

The No.1 question about St George Illawarra might be who is the best man to wear their No.1? It appears coach Paul McGregor is keen on shifting captain Widdop to fullback to accommodate Norman in the halves.

So where does that leave Matt Dufty? The electrifying Penshurst RSL junior is likely to come off the bench. What a weapon he could prove to be at the back end of big games come finals time.

The Dragons should be genuine contenders for the premiership this season.

Whether they can muster the consistency, how the de Belin issue affects them and whether they can halt their late season fade outs will determine if they win their first title in almost a decade.

But, maybe, the Dragons really just need that one uncontrollable thing - a little bit of luck at the right time.

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/...ut-will-they-finally-have-luck-on-their-side/

getsmarty

Immortal
normanc-deject-190316700-sd.jpg

DRAGONS

McGregor urges patience with new-look spine
Author
Jason Wolfgram NRL.com reporter
Timestamp
Sun 17 Mar 2019, 12:28 AM

Dragons coach Paul McGregor knew it was going to take time for his key playmakers to gel so he wasn't about to panic after a first-up loss to the Cowboys in Townsville on Saturday.

Time is in short supply this week, however, as the Dragons face a five-day turnaround before their clash with the Rabbitohs at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium on Thursday night.

After struggling for fluency in attack in the 24-12 loss to the Cowboys, McGregor said patience was the key - along with plenty of hard work.

He said it would take a while to get the combinations right with former No.6 Gareth Widdop now at fullback and ex-Eel Corey Norman slotting in at five-eighth alongside Ben Hunt.

“Certainly when you've got a change to your spine and then we moved Tyson Frizell into the middle, it's going to take a little bit of time but that's not an excuse," McGregor said.

"If we go in at halftime with 50-50 possession, we're fresh in the second half. If we play a little bit smarter to start the second half, it’s a different game."

The attention now turns to Thursday night with players needing plenty of recovery after 80 minutes of toil on a hot and humid Townsville night.

“No game’s easy. It's certainly a task but nothing we can't manage - and look forward to,” McGregor said.

“It's all about recovery and getting some information about what we need to improve. But if we show that effort and desperation and we control possession, you’ll see a different football team on Thursday."

McGregor didn’t mince his words when sharing his thoughts on the loss to a Cowboys side also testing out a new spine in the post-Thurston era.

hunt-b-20190316-806.png

Dragons halfback Ben Hunt. :copyright:Scott Davis/NRL Photos
“I feel that there were parts of the game that we can be really proud of and parts we need to be better,” McGregor said.

“I thought we really started with purpose, to go in front 6-0.

“We turned over too much possession, compounded by a couple of seven- tackle kicks and one out on the full which put us under pressure. But to still lead with a couple of minutes to go before halftime I really thought the effort and desperation was there.

“However we really didn't play any football that we practised.

"The Cowboys handled the weather and the humidity better. We had some tired men because the amount of work."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/17/mcgregor-urges-patience-with-new-look-spine/

getsmarty

Immortal
Why Gareth Widdop positional switch is doomed to fail for St George Illawarra Dragons
By Ben Glover
2 hours ago
http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F28e25b76-c744-426e-b10b-481d4481bfb3

One of the biggest talking points leading into the 2019 NRL season was the gamble Dragons coach Paul McGregor was taking on a complete shake-up of the side's spine and after just one match legendary Eels halfback Peter Sterling thinks it is doomed to fail.

Sterling's take comes after St George Illawarra were soundly beaten by the Cowboys on Saturday night, with the visitors looking clunky in attack following the shift of skipper Gareth Widdop from five-eighth to fullback to accommodate new signing Corey Norman.

The experiment has relegated livewire 23-year-old Matt Dufty to the bench, with McGregor injecting him for just 13 minutes in Round 1.

McGregor has revealed he expects a spine of Dufty-Widdop-Norman and Ben Hunt at hooker late in games to open up opponents and create try-scoring opportunities but Sterling says the Dragons sacrifice too much when Widdop's taken out of the front line to start games.

"The longer this season goes, the more important we will see the short attacking kicking game is in the modern game," Sterling told Wide World of Sports for Sterlo's Wrap.

"Now along with Adam Reynolds I think that he has the best kicking game in the competition. He's only one of maybe one or two players who actually kicks the ball effectively with his left foot as well.

"And I just think at fullback he's not going to be able to impose that on the game."

While Sterling sees the Englishman as the man most capable of driving success for the Dragons, he is also wary of the inconsistency that has plagued the careers of Hunt and Norman.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-wh...hy-widdop-experiment-is-doomed-to-fail_180319

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra's Lawrie to fill void left by Frizell NRL absence
Local Sport
r0_265_4412_2755_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Fighting for more: Blake Lawrie is the leading contender to replace Tyson Frziell on Thursday nigh. Picture: NRL Imagery/Greg Porteous.
Emerging St George Illawarra forward Blake Lawrie has vowed he is ready to step into the Dragons starting lineup on Thursday night.

With NSW and Australian star Tyson Frizell likely out for 4-6 weeks after undergoing testicle surgery on Saturday night, Lawrie is the leading contender to fill the number 13 jersey for the clash with South Sydney.

He credits a conversation over coffee with James Graham at the conclusion of last season with helping prepare him for this moment.

While not willing to go into too much detail about the contents of the chat, the 22-year-old said Graham let him know exactly what needed to be done over the pre-season if he was to become a permanent fixture in the Dragons lineup.

"I went for a coffee with him at the end of last year," Lawrie said. "We had a personal conversation about where I'm at, he told me what I needed to work on in the preseason.

"I was excited to have the chat with him, I was excited for what the outcome was. Hopefully I've done the work over the pre-season on the advice he's given me to be a regular first grader and help the team to get a result each and every week."

A highly-touted Dapto junior, Lawrie has been forced to bide his time throughout the past two years, playing just 16 games for the Dragons since making his NRL debut in round 17 2017.

While many young stars can get frustrated having to spend so much time in NSW Cup, Lawrie views that time as key to his development.

"You could say I've had to be patient, but you could also say I had a couple of things to work on as an individual. I've gone back to NSW Cup over the last two seasons, sort of worked on my game and tried to improve my whole game.

"I'm looking to lock down a top 17 spot for the rest of this year, play every game, that's one of my goals for the rest of the season."

Read more: Cowboys wrecking ball smashes through Dragons

With the Dragons forward pack struck down by injury towards the back-end of last season, Lawrie was thrown into a key role in St George Illawarra's finals matches against the Broncos and Rabbitohs.

His showing at Suncorp Stadium against Brisbane was particularly impressive, with Lawrie helping the Dragons pack run rampant over the Broncos.

It was his performance in the two semi-finals, alongside his work on the training paddock, that has convinced his Dragons teammates he is capable of stepping up to the starting lineup, if given the chance by coach Paul McGregor.

"Blake is probably the best young forward we have here in the club," Paul Vaughan said. "Coming through, he's played all the junior reps, Junior 'Roos, NSW, he's a great trainer, big engine and a pretty tough front rower.

"He probably played the two best games I've seen him play in the finals last year, he had big shoes to fill and he stepped up and played really well.

"I think he's got a lot of confidence out of that and he'll be relishing the opportunity to get a start or have a bigger workload and show everyone what he can do."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...to-fill-void-left-by-frizells-absence/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
grahamj-190316705-sd.jpg

DRAGONS

Graham calls for patience over Dragons' new-look spine
Author
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 18 Mar 2019, 08:04 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

St George Illawarra prop James Graham has called for patience over their new-look spine as the side prepares for their first of three five-day turnarounds for the season.

The Red V will go into their round-two clash against the Rabbitohs on Thursday night with only a captain's run training session under their belt since returning from Townsville on the weekend.

Paul McGregor's decision to move Gareth Widdop into the No.1 jersey and Matt Dufty to the bench has already generated mixed opinions among fans and sections of the media.

But Graham remained defiant about the selection decisions on Monday in a split-squad recovery session in Caringbah.

"It's round one … I'm surprised no one has been a bolter for Origin [yet]," Graham quipped.

"We've got some quality players here and obviously five doesn't go into four in terms of fitting everyone on the field at the same time, but I think that's a headache most coaches could only wish for.

"The spine is everything in teams, they pull all the strings, but I wouldn't judge a part of one game and put a line through it. I'm very optimistic on how this team and this spine in particular can go and where I believe they can take us."

Graham’s defiant response to concussion concerns

Dragons recruit Corey Norman believes the spine played too conservatively to give themselves enough chance against a more rampant Cowboys outfit.

"It was a bit clunky there on Saturday wasn't it?," Norman said.

"I was a bit rusty there, it wasn't my best game but it is what it is. I think it will [take time].

"I thought we played a bit too conservative us three. We have plenty of talent there and could probably play a bit more football. But again, that's going to take time."

The Dragons will host South Sydney at the newly named Netstrata Jubilee Stadium in Kogarah with question marks over the ground's surface host down by the English enforcer.

Several sporting events over the summer, including the club's trial against Newcastle, were forced elsewhere due to the state of the field.

"Maybe ask the players in the 70s and 80s if they're going to give us some sympathy about how the fields are looking," Graham responded.

"As long as the field is safe [it's fine], which I presume it will be."

Get caught up: Round 1

Tyson Frizell is out for an extended period after suffering a testicular injury against the Cowboys with Josh Kerr in the frame to make his Telstra Premiership debut when the sides are named on Tuesday.

The Dragons announced on Monday that Frizell would be out indefinitely and would not rush the representative forward back because of the delicate nature of the injury.

Back-up halfback Darren Nicholls suffered a fractured scapula on the weekend in the Canterbury Cup NSW and is looking at a six-week stint on the sidelines.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/18/james-graham-calls-for-patience-over-new-look-spine-to-adjust/

getsmarty

Immortal
"Throwback forward": The coffee invitation driving St George Illawarra's Blake Lawrie
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 19 Mar 2019, 06:01 AM
walterbrad-head.png

An off-season chat over coffee with James Graham has helped prepare rookie prop Blake Lawrie to stake his claim for cementing the Dragons No.13 jersey in the absence of representative forwards Tyson Frizell and Jack de Belin.

Lawrie, who is 22 but described by team-mate Tim Lafai as a "throwback forward" and having a "40-year-old body like he's been sat at the pub", is expected to start against South Sydney in Thursday night's match at Netstrata Jubliee Stadium after Frizell suffered a ruptured testicle.

With Korbin Sims suspended and de Belin stood down under the NRL’s "no fault stand down" policy while he defends a sexual assault charge in court, Lawrie has the backing of team-mates to step into the lock role and he revealed the influence of Graham on his rise.

Graham took Lawrie under his wing when he joined St George Illawarra last year and after the club's end-of-season awards presentation the English veteran invited him for a coffee.

"He told me that he wanted to have a conversation with me, just to talk about where I was at and what I needed to work on in the pre-season," Lawrie said.

lawrie-b-20190316-887.jpg

Dragons forward Blake Lawrie. :copyright:Dave Acree/NRL Photos
"It was just a one-on-one coffee conversation. He just asked me what I wanted to achieve, how I was going to achieve that and what sacrifices I was prepared to make.

"He has got a massive resume and is someone I look up to. He's an international player - probably one of the best front-rowers in the game. I am only 22 and he has got a few years on me so I have got to learn as much off him as I can.

"I was excited about what the outcome could be and hopefully I have done the work over the pre-season from the advice he has given me to become a regular first grader and help the team to get a result each and every week."

Team-mates joke about Lawrie not having a body that looks like it has been chiselled in the gym but Lafai warned opponents not to be fooled as he boasts skill as well as toughness.

"He is still young but he looks like he has got a 40-year-old body, like he's been sat at the pub," Lafai said.

"He is your throwback forward. The boys have been calling him George Rose's son.

"I don't know if that is good or not but don't be fooled by his body shape because he can ball-play, he runs hard and he has got that footwork so if 'Blocker' does get the start he deserves it.

"He brings a lot of enthusiasm and energy so the boys are right behind him. He is putting his hand up to fill in at fullback if he needs to."

After 16 NRL appearances since making his debut in 2017, Lawrie believes he is ready to become a regular member of the Dragons' star studded forward pack.

The Dapto Canaries junior, who averaged 146m with carries of the ball and 34 tackles per game in last year's NSW Cup, has represented NSW Under 20s and the Junior Kangaroos and is a member of Brad Fittler's Emerging Blues squad.

"I've gone to the coach and older players to ask what I can improve on, what I can learn and how I can lock down a top 17 spot," Lawrie said.

"Being in and out of first grade last year wasn't ideal.

"I learned a lot of Mitch Allgood last year in NSW Cup. He was a great reason I had the back end of the season that I did but I’m looking to lock down a top 17 spot this year and play every game. That's one of goals for the rest of the season."

After getting his chance in first grade during the Origin period, Lawrie played nine NRL matches last season, including the finals elimination of Brisbane and 13-12 golden point semi-final loss to Souths, after the loss of NSW prop Paul Vaughan through injury.

Lawrie played 40 minutes in last Saturday night's 24-12 loss to North Queensland and Vaughan described him as "the best young forward we have at the club".

"He is a great trainer, has a big engine and he is pretty tough front-rower as well," Vaughan said.

"He probably played the two best games I have seen him play in the finals last year. I think he has got a lot of confidence out of that.

"For a young bloke he has got such a good head on his shoulders, you are not going to second-guess him, you are not going to doubt his effort and all the little one per centers.

"I know we have lost a great player in Tyson but I think you gain someone like Blake who fights for every single thing on the football field, which is what you want."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...on-driving-st-george-illawarras-blake-lawrie/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons: we're still NRL title contenders
16x9_medium

Tyson Frizell (right) battled well after moving to No.13 for the Dragons against the Rabbitohs. (AAP)

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor says his side are still NRL title contenders despite the loss of Jack de Belin.

Updated Updated 3 March

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has warned the rest of the NRL to write off the Dragons at their own peril, saying his side are hardened to adversity.

Some have questioned whether the Red V can still contend for this year's premiership given the indefinite standing down of lock Jack de Belin.

De Belin last week became the first player to be sidelined as a result of the game's new behavioural policy and has been stood aside while he fights an aggravated sexual assault charge.

He has pleaded not guilty.

The Dragons' had been pencilled in by most pundits as top-four contenders.

However, the loss of de Belin shapes as a big blow after the NSW Origin representative last year established himself as one of the premier hard men of the game.

McGregor dismissed the suggestion they still couldn't match it with the top sides in the competition.

He pointed to last year's finals series, when they were without some of their biggest stars and still pulled off a monster upset win over Brisbane and went down to South Sydney by a field goal.

"I think we showed that last year," McGregor said.

"We didn't have Paul Vaughan for the finals series, we did alright without him.

"We lost Gareth (Widdop) going into the second final and we were up 8-2 at halftime until we lost Tariq (Sims). We lost Tariq and still only got beaten by a field goal.

"The same players are still here. No one's changed.

"It's just about now knuckling down and working towards what we need to do for round one. I think the resilience and learnings from last year are pretty important going into a fresh year."

Tyson Frizell was solid in the Dragon's trial loss to South Sydney on Saturday after being shifted from the edge into the middle after taking over de Belin's No.13 jumper.

Jacob Host made the most of his opportunity after being elevated into the starting side - taking Frizell's regular position - and McGregor said he would start the year as their first-choice right-edge back-rower.

"I thought (Host) played well. I thought he was one of the better players on the field for our side," McGregor said.

"He hit well in D and carried the ball strongly when he had to. It was good to give him 55 minutes there tonight. He'll find his way into the side."

Source AAP

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/dragons-we-re-still-nrl-title-contenders

Drakon

Juniors
Bench life new territory for jack-in-the-box Dufty
Author
Alicia NewtonNRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 20 Mar 2019, 06:00 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

Share on social media
Bench life isn't something St George Illawarra's Matt Dufty has had a whole lot of experience with before this season but he had plenty of time to think about it last Saturday night in the Dragons' loss in North Queensland.

The odd man out in Paul McGregor's spine, Dufty is the latest NRL speedster tasked with coming off the bench and providing a spark and a game-breaking play late in a game.

Dufty finally got on the paddock in the 67th minute, a trend set to continue as the Dragons remain patient with the Corey Norman-Ben Hunt-Gareth Widdop playmaking combination.

"If you watch, I went into the sheds about 30 times to go to the toilet because I kept sipping on water," Dufty said, when asked what the bench experience was like.

"When you see it from the sideline it's hard. It does make you hungrier to get on the field. I have trouble sitting still. I wasn't used to it.

"I keep trying to talk to all the boys. When the tired forwards come off they don't really want to talk so I just sit there doing my own thing.

"You want to yell out to the boys because that's what I do at fullback trying to direct people around."

remote.axd

Dragons' spinal surgery

Dufty is aware of the long-term road ahead and for that reason he isn't kicking stones.

Gareth Widdop's expected departure to the English Super League next year has softened the selection blow to an extent for the 23-year-old, who re-signed with the Red V in February on a deal that will keep him at the club through to the end of 2021.

"It's already been good mentally," Dufty said.

"I could've sat around, had my head down and had a sook but you've just got to appreciate being in an NRL team.

"Mary just says when I get on the field to score points or do whatever I have to do to get the team in the game.

"I've been trying to do that in the last couple of weeks. It's just been unlucky I've come on and we've been down by more than what I would've liked."

Dufty hoped the Dragons' faithful gave the new-look spine a chance to develop instead of passing judgement in the next month of action.

"For everyone else it probably looks like we don't know what's going on but when we come together it will be dangerous," he said.

"It's still a work in progress but we've got a world class spine and I think when we figure out how to make it work it will be a dangerous combination."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/20/bench-life-new-territory-for-jack-in-the-box-dufty/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons star James Graham said he stands behind his comments around concussion
St George Illawarra Dragons hardman James Graham has opened up on his stunning comments around concussion and mental health in the NRL.

Andrew McMurtry
news.com.auMarch 19, 20198:32pm

Johns spoke with his brother Matthew on Fox League’s Sunday Night with Matty Johns on Sunday night, discussion the full extent of his health problems.

Johns is no longer allowed to drive and can no longer surf on his own in case of a medical episode from epilepsy related to concussions throughout his career.

“2016, ’17, ’18, I’d have probably one every two months. But the last two have been really severe,” Johns said of his seizures.

“I had one up in Yamba over Christmas where I actually fell over in a cafe and smashed my head.

“The last one I had in New Zealand. I was over there surfing with my family and my young bloke, we were out in the water for six or seven hours a day.

“I think about it now because the specialist said I can’t surf on my own. I make sure I don’t go out (surfing by myself).”

He also spoke about experiences in the commentary box where he had an attack.

f34fe46f10f9e1e53ea0c93dcfef2167

James Graham was worried about his concussions.Source:Getty Images

Asked about the interview, Graham was fairly matter-of-fact about his stance on concussion in football.

“It’s my life, I’ll do what I want to — well, within certain realms,’’ Graham told reporters.

“What’s the alternative? I kind of like what I’m doing. The consequences of that are sometimes you get hit on the head.

“You’ve got to go and play Oztag if you don’t fancy playing league anymore. But I wouldn’t get paid and I probably wouldn’t have as much fun.”

The star was slammed by NRL360’s Phil Rothfield who called the comments “irresponsible” and from “a bloke who’s had too many head knocks”.

Graham fronted up to Tuesday night’s NRL360 alongside the Wests Tigers’ Benji Marshall and the pair discussed concussion in the NRL.

“I stand by what I said,” Graham said. “I think it’s important to point out that I take concussion and head trauma and the aftermath of those things incredibly seriously. I’ve gone above and beyond what the NRL prescribe.”

Graham said rugby league is a dangerous sport but he thought it was worth the risk.

What sets Graham apart is the medical research he has done.

e5c8cefaf4fd9ba05d20198b62584a04

James Graham wasn’t able to help the Dragons over the line last season.Source:News Corp Australia

He said a podcast sparked his interest in looking into his own body.

“I guess what I’ve done, there was a podcast on Joe Rogan with Dr Mark Gordon and he spoke about the chemical imbalance after head trauma so I went and got those chemicals checked out, the hormone levels,” he said.

“Then I spent the morning with Dr Andrew Gardner where he basically performed a physiological test, basically an IQ test and I think those tests went particularly well.

“The question I ask doctors all the time is how can I prevent diseases like Alzheimer’s and dementia and what they tell me is watch your substance abuse. For me in particular, it’s alcohol.

“Once the boots are hung up for good, it’s important I watch what I put in my body and don’t abuse my body. Whether or not I have a predisposition to things like dementia, I don’t know but it’s something I really need to look after and be careful of.”

Marshall was impressed by the level of research and admitted he wouldn’t be able to answer the questions Graham had been able to answer.

He also asked when the Dragons enforcer decided to look into the issue.

“There was a build up of concussions throughout my career, but probably the one that was the real catalyst was one against Brisbane in the finals last year,” he said. “It really knocked me about I was worried and having an internal debate about whether I was going to play in the next playoff game against South Sydney.

“But I spoke to some doctor friends of mine and concluded that I wanted to play and pursue that dream of winning a title.”

00de25a232a21b978d7440c7d3d46316

James Graham was helped from the field against the Broncos in the finals last season.Source:AAP

Graham also revealed his grandmother had suffered dementia towards the end of her life without substance abuse or head knocks from the NRL.

Graham also said the sport wasn’t particularly good for the health of players in many ways.

“If you look into it, it’s really bad for your health if you do shift work,” Graham said. “I’m not meaning to brag but we’re the ultimate shift workers. Three days on the day job, one on the evening shift a week.

“You take this sport away from me and guys like me, what am I left with. I don’t want to explore that life, I don’t want to see this built up aggression, this passion, this purpose, thus focus, the direction that rugby league gives me. You take that away from me, where do I turn to. Where do most people like me turn to, it’s probably crime.”

As for Marshall, he admitted the NRL had come a long way from the start of his career.

“The testing we do before the season, we all get on the computer and do a baseline test and after you get a concussion, you come back and revisit that test and you have pass your baseline in order to be able to play again,” he said.

“That never used to happen. The concussion rule where if you get a head knock, the doctor takes you off, we never used to have those things. I think we’ve made leaps and bounds within the ground where we can address where we can.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/d...n/news-story/7501d2b6cd82410b2f27622598bc9231

getsmarty

Immortal
dufty-m-20190316-877.jpg

DRAGONS

Bench life new territory for jack-in-the-box Dufty
Author
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 20 Mar 2019, 06:00 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

Bench life isn't something St George Illawarra's Matt Dufty has had a whole lot of experience with before this season but he had plenty of time to think about it last Saturday night in the Dragons' loss in North Queensland.

The odd man out in Paul McGregor's spine, Dufty is the latest NRL speedster tasked with coming off the bench and providing a spark and a game-breaking play late in a game.

Dufty finally got on the paddock in the 67th minute, a trend set to continue as the Dragons remain patient with the Corey Norman-Ben Hunt-Gareth Widdop playmaking combination.

"If you watch, I went into the sheds about 30 times to go to the toilet because I kept sipping on water," Dufty said, when asked what the bench experience was like.

"When you see it from the sideline it's hard. It does make you hungrier to get on the field. I have trouble sitting still. I wasn't used to it.

"I keep trying to talk to all the boys. When the tired forwards come off they don't really want to talk so I just sit there doing my own thing.

"You want to yell out to the boys because that's what I do at fullback trying to direct people around."

It looks like you may be using adblocking software to view this site.

Many features on the site, such as video playback, may not work properly when using adblocking software.

Please whitelist our domain or disable your adblocker to access all features and videos.

Dragons' spinal surgery

Dufty is aware of the long-term road ahead and for that reason he isn't kicking stones.

Gareth Widdop's expected departure to the English Super League next year has softened the selection blow to an extent for the 23-year-old, who re-signed with the Red V in February on a deal that will keep him at the club through to the end of 2021.

"It's already been good mentally," Dufty said.

"I could've sat around, had my head down and had a sook but you've just got to appreciate being in an NRL team.

"Mary just says when I get on the field to score points or do whatever I have to do to get the team in the game.

"I've been trying to do that in the last couple of weeks. It's just been unlucky I've come on and we've been down by more than what I would've liked."

Dufty hoped the Dragons' faithful gave the new-look spine a chance to develop instead of passing judgement in the next month of action.

"For everyone else it probably looks like we don't know what's going on but when we come together it will be dangerous," he said.

"It's still a work in progress but we've got a world class spine and I think when we figure out how to make it work it will be a dangerous combination."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/20/bench-life-new-territory-for-jack-in-the-box-dufty/

getsmarty

Immortal
'I could have had a sook': Dufty upbeat with bench role
Adam PengillyMarch 20, 2019 — 8.00pm
  • Send via Email
St George Illawarra's livewire utility Matt Dufty admits he wouldn't have handled his reduced role on the interchange in the past.

Dufty, who looked a threat in his brief 13 minutes off the bench in the opening round loss to the Cowboys, has quietly accepted his new position after captain Gareth Widdop's switch to the No.1.

61e5763b90ebb9c3d4deba325f5fcbc4efd5800f

Head up: Matt Dufty.Credit:NRL Photos

But by his own admission he wouldn't have taken as well to coach Paul McGregor's move in previous years.

"I could've sat around, had my head down and had a sook but you've just got to appreciate being in an NRL team," Dufty said. "How many people get to play NRL every week and be in the 17?

"In previous years I probably would have had my head down, but I'm just loving being around the boys.

"Moving forward it will be good to try and cement that spot for the years coming forward. 'Mary' [McGregor] just says when I get on the field to score points or do whatever I have to do to get the team in the game.

I could've sat around, had my head down and had a sook but you've just got to appreciate being in an NRL team

Matt Dufty

Having told his chief playmakers Ben Hunt, Corey Norman and Widdop they were too tentative with ball in hand against the Cowboys, McGregor is convinced he has pulled the right rein with the changes when Dufty comes on.

Dufty will again start from the bench when St George Illawarra host South Sydney at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium on Thursday night.

Risky business: Norman urges Dragons playmakers to push the boundaries
"There are always going to be criticisms when you don't win games of footy, and it's early in the year and everyone is looking for something," McGregor said.

"We're the closest to it, the guys know what they need to do ... with the ability of the three guys and their skill level and talent, they'll get it right.

"He [Dufty] certainly came at the game last week. That's what a player like Duft can do, when you get tired players on the football field he can stretch the line."

Cameron McInnes could spend increased time at lock forcing Widdop and Hunt to change positions earlier than in round one as the Dragons seek to cover for the loss of Tyson Frizell (ruptured testicle) and Jack de Belin (no-fault stand-down).

That is only going to please Dufty, who conceded watching from the bench for more than an hour wasn't a comfortable experience.

"If you watch, I went into the back end of the sheds about 30 times to go to the toilet because I kept sipping on water," Dufty said. "I wasn't used to it. I'm not very good at sitting still, it's a different experience.

"I keep trying to talk to all the boys. When the tired forwards come off they don't really want to talk so I just sit there doing my own thing. You want to yell out to the boys because that's what I do at fullback trying to direct people around. When you see it from the sideline it's hard. It does get you more hungry to get on the field.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/nrl...-with-bench-role-20190320-p515nq.html?ref=rss

getsmarty

Immortal
'Pain wasn't going away': Dragons NRL star Frizell underestimated testicle knock

Tyson Frizell will give himself two weeks on the sideline before he attempts to make his NRL return for St George Illawarra from a ruptured testicle.

Frizell was back around his Dragons teammates at training on Wednesday, after staying in Townsville to have immediate surgery on the injury following Saturday's loss to North Queensland.

The NSW State of Origin back-rower will miss Thursday's clash with South Sydney as well as next week's trip to Brisbane, but is a chance of returning in round four against Newcastle depending on the advice of doctors and how he heals.

Frizell said at the time of the hit - which came in a collision with Jordan Kahu's knee - he was not overly concerned about the accidental low blow, before the pain didn't subside.

"As any other bloke you get hit there and there is initial pain but after a while it goes away," Frizell told the Dragons' website.

"That pain wasn't going away for a while and then I played a bit on during the game with the injury. I obviously came off after that and it all hit home as soon as I got in the sheds.

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F04%2F05%2F12%2F30%2FTysonFrizell_0504a_env.jpg

Frizell has undergone surgery for the ruptured testicle. (AAP Image/David Moir)
"I've got a couple of days off now doing nothing and just recovering. I think I will give my body at least two weeks of very minimal movement around.

"And then from that two week period we'll see how it goes after that."

The injury came at a tricky time for the Dragons, given Frizell was only playing in the middle at lock because of Jack de Belin's ban.

Another possible lock option in Korbin Sims but he is still suspended until round three, after copping a two-game ban for a dangerous tackle when playing for Brisbane against the Dragons last year.

Blake Lawrie will start at lock against the Rabbitohs, with Josh Kerr to come onto the bench after playing representative football for the Indigenous All-Stars last month.

"It's always a young man's dream to be able to play at home on their debut," McGregor said of Kerr.

"He's a big body with a really nice carry, so we've got a handy replacement."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/frizel...le-knock/d3680921-1b2b-4257-92aa-ffe4940fc102

getsmarty

Immortal
Will the Widdop experiment pay off?

It wouldn’t be the start of the NRL season without Dragons fans being filled with optimism and hope for the season ahead.

You can’t blame them though, can you?

Coach Paul McGregor has put together a fairly decent St George Illawarra side over the last couple of seasons and had it not been for injuries you might’ve tipped them to go all the way last year.

But with the spine of the team set for a major shake-up, can they bring the premiership back to Kogarah?

The Dragons added former Eels five-eighth Corey Norman to their roster in the off-season and his arrival has caused a bit of a re-shuffle in their starting line-up.

McGregor has taken a gamble and moved star player Gareth Widdop to fullback to accommodate Norman’s arrival.

This a risky change to make considering that Widdop is one of the team’s best players and their attack can be quite flat at times without him.

We have seen in the past that players like Ben Hunt, for example, can look quite lost without his leadership.

It seems strange to move one of your most vital players out of his best position to make way for a new signing.

Widdop has proved time and time again how crucial he is to the Dragons’ set-up and fans have been left puzzled by this decision from McGregor.

Let’s look at the numbers.

Both Widdop and Norman scored four tries last season whilst Norman averaged more tackles per game at 15.48 compared to Widdop’s 13.81.

Corey-Norman-passes-the-ball-755x515.jpg

(Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)

Widdop recorded more try assists last season at 18 whilst Norman was not far behind at 14.

All of this must be considered with the fact that Norman was playing in a struggling Parramatta side last year.

So who deserves the five-eighth spot more?

On one hand it makes sense. Widdop will be leaving the Dragons at the end of the season to head back to England and it seems like a good idea that they’ve brought in a replacement nice and early and are now trying to settle him in to the team.

With Widdop being moved to fullback, this has left Matthew Dufty relegated to the bench.

Dufty wasn’t perfect for the Dragons last year but he definitely showed promising signs in his debut season for the Saints and at the age of 23 he can only get better.

But how is he supposed to improve his game and fulfill his potential if he is sitting on the bench and not even getting a go?

St George Illawarra fell to the Cowboys 24-12 in Round 1 and many fans will point to this change in the team as the reason to why their team was so disappointing.

Others will say that the team simply needs time to gel and adjust to this new change.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/03/19/will-the-widdop-experiment-pay-off/