What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

Warabrook saint

Juniors
KICKOFF: Off-field dramas a different kettle of fish for NRL players and coaches
Dragons Den
r0_0_3916_2611_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

STORMY WEATHER: Dealing with matters like the ongoing Jack de Belin saga takes a different toll on players and coaches like Paul McGregor, than the other hurdles NRL seasons typically toss up. Picture: Adam McLean

LAST week Dragons coach Paul McGregor said his squad and his club were looking for some "closure" on the Jack de Belin saga.

He wasn't the only one. We in the media had asked about the issue more than we ever wanted to.

The Dragons have backed de Belin to the hilt but, like the rest of us, had no idea which way the federal court verdict would fall on Friday.

When it did, fairly emphatically in the NRL's favour, it wasn't the outcome the Dragons were looking for. Looking at their performance against Newcastle on Sunday, it didn't bring a whole lot of closure.

People took a very literal view of McGregor's post-match comments that his side had "expected" de Belin to play against the Knights. In reality it was more a hope then an expectation.

There certainly wasn't a game plan based around his return. McGregor and his staff have spent a lot more time this season making plans around not having de Belin then having him.

The players have all spun the "no excuses" line. They have to, but James Graham did admit that the verdict "probably did knock the wind out of a couple of people's sails."

It was all too apparent that it did. The desired outcome would have been a morale boost. It stands to reason the opposite put a dent in it. It also illustrates the different challenge such matters pose for coaches and players compared to injuries all clubs deal with each each season.

The Dragons have dealt with their fair share. Gareth Widdop has been out since round three and won't be back until the finals - if they get there.

They've also been without Tyson Frizell, Korbin Sims and now Corey Norman, at different stages. It's creeping up on half the club's cap.

Still, Manly have been without Daly Cherry-Evans and Tom Trbojevic for a large chunk of the year and are still 6-4 and running fifth.

Sure, they had to deal with Dylan Walker's stand-down. Walker's "I'm back baby" carry-on in front of watching media at training last week suggests he still doesn't realise the gravity of the situation he found himself in, but he was never facing the sort of long-term uncertainty de Belin and the Dragons are dealing with.

Cronulla have been without a host of stars and have still pulled off some big against-the-odds victories. None have seemingly derailed their season to extent the de Belin drama has the Dragons.

A look to the past shows players accept injuries are part and parcel of their profession. However, when players perceive injustice - rightly or wrongly - it's a much different battle.

It's one the Roosters and coach Trent Robinson learned back in 2016, a year that began without their skipper and No. 7 Mitchell Pearce after his infamous drunken Australia-Day shenanigans.

Todd Greenberg admitted last weekend that the NRL "overcooked" it's sanctions of an eight-week suspension and $120,000 fine.

You can bet Robinson and Pearce's teammates felt the same. With James Maloney the obvious exception, their roster that season was very similar to the one that took the Roosters the three previous minor premierships.

They started the season not just missing their halfback, but with the whole saga, and everything it brought, hanging over them. They ended up up in a 1-7 hole and couldn't climb back out.

2016 now seems an aberration in an otherwise five-year period of excellence. It just shows the toll such matters take. The added scrutiny, the questions his teammates faced week after week about something they had no say in or certainty about.

It wasn't just de Belin's on-field return his teammates were hoping for, it was an end to all that. They'll be hoping the questions Graham fielded on Tuesday prove their last lap around that course.

Korbin Sims returns this weekend, while the eventual return of Norman and hopefully Widdop are other morale-boosters the club has in the holster.

They just need to stay in finals battle long enough to make sure they're not bullets ultimately fired from a popgun.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-of-fish-for-nrl-players-and-coaches/?cs=3713
To use the de Belin saga as an excuse is embarrassing

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons star James Graham set to break 400-game mark
AAP
May 22, 2019 7:02am
He will next month notch up his 400th game of first-grade rugby league in a milestone worthy of celebration and reverence.

But his name is James Graham, not Cameron Smith.

Plenty has been made of the fact that Melbourne skipper Smith will later this season become the first player to bring up 400 NRL games.

af896831229264e5fe6c87f16fa93ec3

James Graham is set to play 400 first grade games.

But it’s mostly escaped attention that dogged St George-Illawarra’s Graham will likely beat Smith to the 400-game mark by a fortnight.

similars

Against Cronulla on Sunday, the 33-year-old will run out for his 172nd NRL game.

The dogged British prop came to Australia via Canterbury in 2012 after beginning his career at St Helens, where he had 225 English Super League and Challenge Cup caps.

Barring injury or suspension, he will bring up his 400th game at Wollongong’s WIN Stadium against North Queensland in round 15, two weeks before Smith cracks the illustrious mark.

Told he was set to beat Smith to the 400 club, in typical Graham fashion, he played down the achievement.

“I’m not in a race with anyone,” he told AAP.

80dc91f3bc99771afc8c0ad2497fd006

Cameron Smith is set to hit 400 NRL games this year. Picture: Alix Sweeney
Of more pressing concern for Graham is breaking the Dragons’ four-game losing streak which has seen them tumble to 12th.

“The frustrating thing from our perspective is we know we’re better, we know we’re capable of more,” Graham said.

“We’ve showed that. If we were deadbeats and no hopers we’d just accept it and move on and play next week and not really care.

“We are hurting and we want to do something about it.”

Graham is off contract at the end of next year and is still highly respected by his teammates.

ad3ab8f1e0fee0fe28088680e5644ecd

James Graham is one of the game’s great leaders.
Dragons flyer Matt Dufty said Graham had earned enough respect that he always listened to what he had to say and his work ethic and passion had rubbed off on him.

“I look up to James, he’s been everywhere and done everything,” Dufty said.

“If he says something, I’ll listen.

“It is a bit like big brother/little brother. He gets angry at me for stuff when he knows I can be better. I listen because that’s just the respect I have for him.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...k=93adc348d6ad44229a32bb277d3a1cc6-1558531810

getsmarty

Immortal
How Dufty can be No.1 again: Soward
Author
Stuart Honeysett
Timestamp
Wed 22 May 2019, 01:17 PM

St George Illawarra Dragons fullback Matt Dufty needs to work on his defence during his stint in the Canterbury Cup NSW if he is to have any chance of breaking back into the NRL team, according to True Blue Jamie Soward.

Dufty paid the price for the Dragons four-match losing streak after being omitted from the squad with young gun Zac Lomax taking his spot. The Dragons No.1 was subsequently named in the Canterbury Cup NSW team to face the Newtown Jets in Wollongong on Sunday.

Dufty has provided moments of attacking brilliance this season, most notably his brilliant solo try against the Sydney Roosters at the SCG on Anzac Day, but he struggled in defence during the heavy loss to the Newcastle Knights after missing four tackles while another two were ineffective.

“The Dragons are like the Panthers,” Soward told nswrl.com.au.

“They’ve really struggled to find back three consistency this year, Matt Dufty as well.

“Zac Lomax going into that preferred spot and we’ve all heard the raps on him. Hopefully he’ll be able to settle into that position and play a full 80 minutes. I think it’s bene frustrating for him and Euan Aitken being off the bench one week and only playing 50 minutes.

“Matt Dufty needs to go down and work on some things, defensively as well, and then try and get back in that squad but Zac Lomax huge chance this week.

Soward also said the addition of Dufty to the Dragons line-up in the Canterbury Cup NSW should ensure they have too much firepower for the Jets on Sunday.

“I think the Jets last week while they had a big week were disappointing in some of their defensive errors towards the back end of that game,” Soward said.

“The Dragons will go with plenty of confidence, they’re rolling.

“Darren Nicholls has had a couple of games under his belt since coming back from injury so I expect the Dragons to go and do a job on Newtown.”

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2019/...ust-improve-defence-to-reclaim-fullback-spot/

getsmarty

Immortal
State of Origin 2019: Hunt bracing for Blues onslaught as selection at hooker looms
Dragons Den
r0_0_5040_3547_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

IN THE CROSSHAIRS: Ben Hunt can expect plenty of attention from the Blues big men if selected at hooker for Queensland. Picture: NRL Photos

BEN Hunt is no stranger to unwanted attention, and Dragons teammate Paul Vaughan says he can expect plenty if he's selected in the No. 9 for Queensland on Sunday.

Vaughan is a virtual certainty to be selected for NSW while Hunt is in the same boat, though which number he wears on his back remains a mystery.

Most are tipping him to play dummy-half for the Maroons with Andrew McCullough and Jake Friend out injured and Cameron Smith keeping his feet firmly planted in retirement.

It will certainly see him tested out in the middle by the Blues big men and Vaughan said he'll be at the front of the queue.

"I'm going straight at him," Vaughan said.

"He just jumps up like a lizard. His technique in defence is questionable so if he's [number] nine and I'm 10, I'll send a little bit of traffic his way.

Hunt doesn't mind offering a few sledges of his own, sending some barbs back Vaughan's way.

"I'd love for him to run at me," Hunt said.

"The big slop in the middle, slow play-the-balls, it'll really get our sets going if he's the one bringing the ball back."

It's all tongue-in-cheek but there's certainly an element of truth to the threats. You can bet Hunt will certainly be a prime target of the NSW forwards if he does turn out for the Maroons at hooker.

It's something Hunt himself is well aware of but he's confident he can go the 80 minutes in the middle if called upon by Kevin Walters.

"You expect that when you play number nine, the big boys are going to try and find you out. I'm used to that," he said.

"In the past I don't think I'd have been able to do it but when I played all that nine at the Broncos [in 2016] - I think it was eight or 10 games - I worked my way into finding ways to stay in the game and being able to defend in the middle for 80 minutes.

"I'm pretty confident now that I can do that. I'm fit and feeling good at the moment and I feel like I can do the job. I don't even know if I'm going to be picked at nine yet so we'll see."

The 29-year-old said he's had semi-regular conversations with Walters, but said his primary focus has been on the Dragons, who are staring down the barrel of five straight losses against Cronulla on Sunday.

"We've had a few [conversations] throughout the season," he said.

"He called me a couple of weeks ago and we just had a chat about the season and the footy I've been playing, not really about Origin or anything like that.

"It was more about things he thinks I can do better and things I need to work on. I've had thoughts about [Origin] but mostly I've been focused on the Dragons.

"It's obviously been a bit tough for us of late and I've just been working really hard to get us back in the winning game again."

Read more: Dragons move past de Belin drama as McGregor wields the axe

Hunt's been forced to work overtime at different stages this season, with Gareth Widdop and Corey Norman both missing with serious injuries.

It's seen him wear the brunt of criticism for the Dragons recent run. It's something he's no stranger to, but he remains his own harshest critic.

"They are definitely big losses and the last couple of weeks there has been a little bit more pressure on myself and I don't think I've played as good as I needed to play," he said.

"Especially against the Knights, I was pretty disappointed with that first half. We got behind by a few points and I feel like I was trying to do too much and look for the wrong play rather than keeping it simple in my head and sticking to our game plan.

"That's something as halfback you've got to do. Where our team's at now I need to put my hand up and be better in those situations.

"I'm the main voice telling us where to get to on the field and what we need to be doing. I need to be better at that than I've been the last couple of weeks."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...slaught-as-selection-at-hooker-looms/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Vaughan looking to land a perfect 10
Local Sport
r0_0_5181_3322_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

FORWARD THINKING: Paul Vaughan will have a final opportunity to press his Origin claims against Cronulla on Sunday. Picture: NRL Photos

DRAGONS prop Paul Vaughan doesn't consider himself an Origin certainty, but it's a view that puts him in the minority.

The 27-year-old played all three games in the Blues breakthrough series victory last year and - in an underperforming side - has been one of the Dragons best this season.

Still, he insists he is not taking another Blue jumper as a given.

"I'd love obviously love to be there. Being involved in that team last year's something I hold pretty close to my heart," he said.

"The last couple of weeks [at club level] haven't been great collectively as a team but if my name's read out on Sunday I'll be over the moon.

"I'll be ecstatic and I'll certainly do everything I can to play well in the series, but we need to win here first."

You can believe it's not just lip service given he's been nothing but frank about his Origin prospects throughout his career.

Even amid a breakout season with the Dragons in 2017, he stated openly he didn't think he was ready for an Origin call-up - not that he's have knocked a jumper back.

With that season in the bank he came in 2018 making no secret of his Origin ambitions and backed it up on the park.

"The first year when I came here it was probably the career-best footy that I'd played but that was the only really consistent year where I was starting and playing good footy," he said.

"For myself I just wanted to use that as a platform. Last year I was happy with my form, I probably could've been playing better but I got selected.

"I just wanted to take everything in. I think the biggest thing is just getting the trust and respect from everyone in the team and then going out and proving you deserve to be there.

"You're in the team but you've got to earn that, that's the way I look at it. I want to earn the respect and trust of everyone. If I'm picked I'll be looking to do that again."

That evolution could well continue this season where he'll be asked to lead a pack after coming off the bench in his first two outings.

"I can't think of anything bigger than wearing the No. 10 in Origin," Vaughan said.

"If I'm given the opportunity to start in Origin I'm not going to take it lightly, it's the toughest game you can play.

"I wore it in game three last year which was unbelievable. It was probably the proudest moment of my life after getting married and [having] my kid."

The commitment extends to club level with the Dragons desperate to avoid five straight losses when they host Cronulla in Wollongong on Sunday.

"It's been a pretty frustrating few weeks," he said.

"The first loss you don't want to compound into back to back losses and the last thing you want is three. Now we're looking at four, it's pretty frustrating.

"Obviously we've got to do everything we can to beat the Sharks and then we've got the week off. All the boys will be front-loading the energy and it's a pretty important game for us."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6180999/vaughan-looking-to-land-a-perfect-10/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
As State of Origin looms, St George Illawarra Dragons are bracing for new challenge
  • Dragons Den
    r0_0_4997_3518_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

All-star moment: Josh Kerr celebrates scoring a try for the Indigenous team against the Maori this year. Picture: Nathan Hopkins/NRL Imagery

• Sitting just metres away is Greg Inglis.

Greg bloody Inglis, he tells himself.

Here he is, yet to play in an NRL game and sitting on the bench next to one of the great indigenous, Queensland, Melbourne Storm and South Sydney players of all.

Months later he's still pinching himself a little bit.

"I'm still a fan," Dragons prop Josh Kerr says.

"I'm a rugby league player, but I'm a fan of the game. I'm sitting on the bench and that's David Fifita. Greg Inglis is, like, right there.

"He's my idol. He was a God in our house."

Kerr had been called into the 2019 Indigenous All Stars in the precautionary pre-season way, but it's an opportunity which allows him to score a try in the 34-14 over the Maori All-Stars at Melbourne's AAMI Park.

Since, Kerr has made just two cameos for the Dragons this year, giving away a penalty with his first effort in a 34-18 loss to Souths, before coming off the bench again in Sunday's 45-18 thrashing at the hands of Newcastle in Mudgee.

Inglis might be retired now, but the Dragons are about to need Kerr to fulfill his potential.

Paul Vaughan and Tyson Frizell are expected to be named in the NSW State of Origin team on Sunday night, after the Dragons clash with Cronulla at WIN Stadium.

Jack de Belin is now officially out, at least until the court case over his aggravated sexual assault allegation from December is resolved.

St George Illawarra have lost their past four and the wheels look close to falling off, prompting coach Paul McGregor to wield the axe, dropping fullback Matt Dufty and winger Mikaela Ravalawa, despite both players being made available to talk to the media in the hours before the team was officially named on Tuesday.

Tariq Sims stands on the edge of selection after a mixed start to this year's campaign, partly as a result of Corey Norman's injury, which has left him forming a new combination on the left-edge with Jai Field.

But even if Sims' loss is the Dragons gain when Brad Fittler names the team on Sunday, Blake Lawrie, Jacob Host, Mitch Allgood and Kerr are in charge of filling the void left by Vaughan and to some extent Frizell, who has at times provided defensive cover for de Belin.

From indigenous All Stars to indigenous round on Sunday in Wollongong, Kerr has been named as 18th because of the return of Korbin Sims from a broken arm.

The Dragons have the Sharks, the bye, the Bulldogs, the Sea Eagles, the (general) bye and the Storm (in Wollongong), before taking on the Raiders at WIN Stadium after game three.

This is possibly the best Origin draw the Dragons have had, but with the wheels already spinning on their season while in 12th position, they may just need it.
https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ragons-are-bracing-for-new-challenge/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragon won't run out of puff if plonked in middle of Origin pack
Christian NicolussiMay 23, 2019 — 6.51pm
  • Send via Email
St George Illawarra fans will be hoping their $1.2 million-a-season marquee man Ben Hunt is not left physically exhausted by the end of the Origin series as he looks set to tackle himself into the ground as Queensland's dummy-half.

The Dragons will try to avoid a fifth straight defeat at WIN Stadium against bitter rivals Cronulla on Sunday afternoon before the representative season kicks in.

66e2ddfa78128e641afdaaef05bd866b9d737900

Dragon not out of puff: Ben Hunt is confident he'll survive playing hooker for Queensland and then back up for the Dagons.Credit:AAP Image/Darren England

Given their sluggish start to the season, the Dragons will need their big guns like Hunt to stand up in the back half of the season.

Hunt played halfback for the Maroons the first two games last year, but should he get the nod to wear the No. 9 jersey as expected this series will be expected to make upwards of 40 tackles a game.

The 29-year-old backed himself to get through the workload on the biggest stage - and was just as confident about standing up for the Dragons against the Sharks.

"In the past I didn't think I would have been able to do it [play 80 minutes at hooker], but when I played No. 9 at Broncos, there were eight or 10 games or something like that, I found ways to stay in the game and be able to defend in the middle for 80 minutes," Hunt said. "I'm feeling pretty confident now I can do that.

"[Fatigue] is something the club looked at after Origin last year. We were in a lot better position this time last year. Resting players and finding ways to work around Origin when players are getting burnt out or a bit more fatigued, getting rested at training, I'll leave it to club to handle that and I'm sure we'll work it out."

Hunt said he had spoken with Queensland coach Kevin Walters, but it was more about little things he could improve on.

The Red V's top money-earner has not been helped with injuries to Gareth Widdop and Corey Norman, and blamed himself for not taking more control last Sunday in the heavy loss against Newcastle.

Hunt said it was not yet doom and gloom at the Dragons, and ''apart from last week, we've shown we can play good footy in periods of games".

"We just need to do it consistently," Hunt said. "We need to change attitude little bit to certain things and we'll be fine.

"The last couple of weeks there's been more pressure on myself and I don't think I've played as well as I've needed to play, especially against the Knights. I was disappointed with that first half and a couple of things I did I let the team down.

"Where the team is now, I need to put my hand up and be better in those situations.

"In that first half, we were behind by a few points, I felt like I was trying to do too much - I was looking for the wrong play rather than keeping it simple and sticking to the game plan."

Coach Paul McGregor has wielded the axe and Matt Dufty makes way for Zac Lomax gets his chance to start in his preferred No. 1 role.

Hunt will look to nail down his Maroons spot while Dragons forwards Paul Vaughan and Tyson Frizell are set to be picked for NSW.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/dr...in-middle-of-origin-pack-20190523-p51qku.html

getsmarty

Immortal
nrlw-broncos-dagons---180909_jo_5-2.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

13 inaugural NRLW Dragons off to National Championships
Author
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 22 May 2019, 08:01 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

NSW Country will be chasing back-to-back titles at the 2019 Harvey Norman Women's National Championships in Burleigh from May 30 with future representative honours on the line across the four-day tournament.

Six teams will compete at the championships with NSW fielding Country and City sides, while Queensland have named a Country side and South East Queensland team.

An Affiliated States side and Australian Defence Force team will also return with a host of up-and-coming talent representing areas from across the country.

The tournament acts as a major selection process for upcoming Origin selection, while representatives from NRLW clubs are also expected to scout for talent with contracts possibly offered for the competition in September.

NSW Country beat NSW City in last year's championship final 16-12 to be crowned 2018 champions.

The inaugural championships saw the likes of Julia Robinson, Hannah Southwell and Holli Wheeler evolve into international players with the Australian Jillaroos by season's end.

"It was a fun week last year to be able to represent Country and we're really determined to make in two in a row," NSW Country back-rower Kezie Apps told NRL.com.

"You play with girls you wouldn't usually play with or against. To see some of the girls develop and represent their country later in the year shows that this tournament is a real chance to shine and take that next opportunity."

Radical team changes expected for women’s Origin

NSW Country boasts several big names including Apps and Ruan Sims but the team will be without Isabelle Kelly with the star centre sidelined with a knee injury.

Country representatives Sam Bremner and Nakia Davis Welsh and City representative Taleena Simon have all announced their pregnancies in recent months and are also not available.

Queensland's SEQ side (formerly City) is led by Broncos halfback Ali Brigginshaw and features the likes of Roosters trio Karina Brown, Zahara Temara and Tazmin Gray.

Kiwi Ferns forward Maitua Feterika and former New Zealand international Rona Peters are also included but cannot be considered for Maroons selection under the game's new eligibility rule.

The ADF side will be guided by Jillaroos players Meg Ward and Talesha Quinn for a consecutive season but the squad will be disappointed by the withdrawal of Robinson, who is sidelined for the remainder of the year following leg and ankle surgery.

Harvey Norman Women's National Championships
  • Dates: May 30 to June 2, 2019
Draw
  • Pool 1: South East Queensland (SEQ), NSW City, Combined Affiliated States (CAS)
  • Pool 2: Queensland Country, NSW Country, Australian Defence Force (ADF)
Day 1 - Thursday May 30

• 12.00pm – CAS v NSW City
  • 1.15pm – ADF v NSW Country
Day 2 - Friday May 31

• 12.00pm – CAS v SEQ
  • 1.15pm – ADF v QLD Country
Day 3 - Saturday June 1

• 12.00pm – SEQ v NSW City
  • 1.45pm – QLD Country v NSW Country
Day 4 - Sunday June 2

• 10.30am – Third (Pool A) v Third (Pool B)
  • 12.00pm – Second (Pool A) v Second (Pool B)
  • 1.45pm – First (Pool A) v First (Pool B)

2019 Women's Origin returns to North Sydney

Teams
NSW Country: Kezie Apps, Keeley Davis, Kirra Dibb, Vanessa Foliaki, Emma Hickey, Kylie Hilder, Rikeya Horne, Melanie Howard, Ellie Johnston, Takilele Katoa, Bobbi Law, Shellie Long, Kaitlyn Phillips, Ruan Sims, Simone Smith, Hannah Southwell, Tess Staines, Gabrielle Suckling, Shakiah Tungai, Holli Wheeler, Bec Young.

NSW City: Corban McGregor, Kiara Takairangi, Shontelle Stowers, Jessica Sergis, Tiana Penitani, Quincy Dodd, Maddie Studdon, Elianna Walton, Rebecca Riley, Teina Clarke, Montana Fonua, Sarah Togatuki, Simaima Taufa, Aaliyah Faamausili, Najvada George, Christine Pauli, Karla Cowan, Shaylee Bent, Kate Mullaly, Shanice Parker, Botille Vette-Walsh, Tommaya Kelly-Sines, Aliti Namoce, Christian Pio.

Queensland Country: Chelsea Baker, Rhiannon Revell-Blair, Elle Stitt, Zeah Lane, Romy Teitzel, Tamika Upton, Jenni-Sue Hoepper, Heather Ballinger, Brittany Breayley, Steph Hancock, Steph Mooka, Annette Brander, Brianna Clarke, Lana Sheedy, Riutoto Te Hiko, Deb Barchard, Layla Fauid, Mariah Storch, Shania Power, Rangimarie Bruce, Angela Solomon, Leaticia Perkins, Reeghyn Beardmore, Kody House.

South East Queensland: Tarryn Aiken, Tyler Birch, Millie Boyle, Ali Brigginshaw, Karina Brown, Jessika Elliston, Maitua Feterika, Tazmin Gray, Tallisha Harden, Jasmin Kemp, Chelsea Lenarduzzi, Taimane Levu, Taylor-Adeline Mapusua, Tanika Marshall, Laken Paitai, Kelsey Parkin, Rona Peters, Amber Pilley, Zahara Temara, Amy Turner, Rosemary Vaimili Toalepai.

Combined Affiliated States: Keisha Marshall, Latoniya Norris, Cherysh Leaf, Ngahuia Blair, Kirsty Cooper, Kailey Thompson, Te Aroha Hapuku, Oneata Schwalger, Melody Wehipeihana, Lucy Cuppari, Mary Makai, Hayley Carstairs, Melissa Thomas, Jean Shannel Robati, Tasia Seumanufagai, Danyel Davan, Fa'atulia Pula, Lyric Ngapera, Jayne Kareroa, Juraea Turner, Layna Nona Busch.

Australian Defence Force: Meg Ward, Michelle Vocea, Debra Toby, Nicola Emsley, Danielle Close, Shannon Evans, Nicole Hall, Morgan Higgins, Ebony Allsopp, Talesha Quinn, Maddie Burton, Danielle Cahill, Alex Foltyn, Kirsten Wilson, Stephanie Kopp, Christine Fine, Betty Latumahina, Almareve Ara, Karri Thomas, Sophie Thompson.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/05/25/13-inaugural-nrlw-dragons-off-to-national-championships/

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL 2019: Indigenous round a special one for Field
Local Sport
r0_0_5112_3408_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

PRIDE: Jonus Pearson, Tristan Sailor, Josh Kerr and Jai Field in the Dragons Indigenous Round strip. Picture: Sylvia Liber

RUGBY league has always been a great teacher for Dragons young-gun Jai Field, in no area more significant than his own indigenous heritage.

The 21-year-old will take part in his second Indigenous Round when the Dragons take on Cronulla in Wollongong on Sunday, his third top grade game of the year.

The Shellharbour product said the the round is another chance to celebrate a heritage he's still educating himself about, with the game proving a tremendous teacher.

"Once I got to high school my auntie, who was really into it on both sides of the family, said to my mum and dad that we should look into it and learn a bit more about it," Field said.

"We did that and all through high school we learned more bits and pieces about our family history and sort of piecing the puzzle together.

"Rugby league's played a massive part in that for me. You meet different people and more indigenous players who come from all different tribes and different places.

"You get to learn about their culture and people. With have the indigenous camp every year with Georgie Rose and you get to go there and learn more and more about yourself and your people.

"I got the chance to play in the 2017 [round] and it was just coming in then. Now it's so much bigger, all 16 clubs are getting behind it and it's a really good event to showcase our culture."

Dragons fans will also be hoping Field can showcase some the prodigious ability that saw him come through the club's junior grades a highly touted prospect.

He's spent much of his post-NYC career stuck behind a fair calibre of star halves including Ben Hunt, Gareth Widdop and, this season, Corey Norman.

It's certainly taught him patience but, with Widdop and Norman both struck down by injury, Field's confident he's ready to leave a mark on the top grade.

He's also hoping to take some pressure off Hunt who remains a beacon for criticism amid the Dragons recent wobbles.

"It's not a good thing copping criticism left, right and centre but he handles it really well," Field said.

"Now I've played a couple of games I'm starting to feel a bit more comfortable so I'll definitely try to take some pressure off him with kicking and those sorts of things.

"I've said for a while now that I feel like I'm ready. I've played a lot of [NSW] Cup games and got my body right to handle the rigours of first grade so get a few games now is pleasing.

"We've had two losses so that's not too great but I'm must trying to learn off Hunty as much as I can. I just want to put my best foot forward and see what comes from that."

Norman is tipped to return for the Dragons in round 13 after the bye. It would likely see Field squeezed back to reserve grade, but he sees a silver lining to what's becoming a lengthy play-making apprenticeship.

"It's not easy but, at the same time, you've just got to look at the opportunity I have here in terms of having two international halves [Hunt and Widdop]," Field said.

"Corey's had his name thrown up for Origin many times and well so that's a lot of good halves to learn off. I've just got to bide my time.

"You obviously don't wish injuries on anyone but Normy got busted and I get my chance to get a couple of games. If play my best footy, you never know what might come from that."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6181643/indigenous-round-a-special-one-for-field/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
Blues coach Fittler visits Frizell following sickening KO
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 26 May 2019, 08:48 PM
walterbrad-head.png

NSW coach Brad Fittler is confident Tyson Frizell will be cleared to take his place in the Blues team for the opening State of Origin after a sickening head clash with Cronulla centre Josh Dugan in St George Illawarra’s 22-9 loss at WIN Stadium on Sunday.

Fittler was on hand at the match in his role with the Channel Nine commentary team and he visited Frizell in the Dragons dressing room at half-time after the star second-rower was knocked out in the 32nd minute incident.

"I went down and talked to Friz at half-time and he wanted to go back on," Fittler said.

"I think he got cleared by the medical staff, obviously not to come back on but I think he is OK.

"I think that is his first concussion and we will just follow protocol. I am not sure when he can train but we will work that out.”

Match Highlights: Dragons v Sharks

Frizell was one of three St George Illawarra players who failed to return in the second half, with centre Tim Lafai and prop James Graham suffering ankle injuries.

Graham was in a moon boot after the game and Lafai left the ground on crutches.

"We’ve got a bit of a MASH unit downstairs, to be honest," Dragons coach Paul McGregor said.

"Tyson was up and about at half-time but he was in state to go back on the field.

"I am not sure about Origin, I will leave that to the doctors but he knows the score line and all things like that so he looks OK."

McGregor said Frizell had not been concussed previously this season but missed two games after a painful testicle injury in the opening round and suffered a poke in the eye against Parramatta recently.

"He hasn’t finished many games for us this year," McGregor said.

"He obviously had those couple of injuries early and hasn’t been able to really complete 80 minutes which is unfortunate because he is an important player and it is coming into an important time for himself as well, with Origin just around the corner."

Five-eighth Corey Norman is due back from a fractured cheekbone in St George Illawarra’s next match against Canterbury on June 10, while forward Korbin Sims returned from a broken arm in the loss to the Sharks.

However, Graham and Lafai may now join captain Gareth Widdop (shoulder) and lock Jack de Belin (stood down) on the sidelines.

"At the moment I don’t know the extent but if James doesn’t come back on the field it is a bad one, one would think," McGregor said. "He is in a boot and Lafai is on crutches as well so they are both highly unlikely but we have got the bye next week so that helps."

McInnes flips over from dummy-half

Despite St George Illawarra’s fifth consecutive defeat, McGregor was upbeat and praised back-up hooker Reece Robson, who had to play long minutes off the interchange bench, along with second-rowers Jacob Host and Luciano Leilua.

"I’m not shattered by that performance, I am actually excited," McGregor said. "It is a big difference within seven days but it wasn’t good enough.

"I was disappointed last week after a very ordinary performance [against Newcastle] but I thought we were very brave and courageous at times."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...ittler-visits-frizell-following-sickening-ko/

getsmarty

Immortal
Graham to miss two months in Dragons blow
16x9_medium

James Graham will miss eight weeks in the NRL after an ankle injury he picked up against the Sharks. (AAP)

St George Illawarra have suffered a significant blow, with a fractured fibula ruling James Graham out for two months of NRL action.

Struggling NRL club St George Illawarra have been hit with a double injury blow with co-captain James Graham and centre Tim Lafai ruled out for up to two months.

Inspirational forward Graham left the field with an injured ankle in the defeat to Cronulla, with the Dragons confirming on Monday that scans had revealed a fractured fibula.

Similarly, Lafai also sustained an ankle injury in the match which was later diagnosed as a syndesmosis sprain.

The club said of Lafai that "further meetings and discussions with specialists on Tuesday are required to determine the course of action and prognosis."

Syndesmosis injuries typically require a recovery period of six-to-eight weeks.

The dual losses come as a bitter blow for the Dragons, who have lost five consecutive games and slipped to 13th on the ladder after their 22-9 loss to the Sharks.

They are already without playmaker Gareth Widdop (shoulder) until August, while their NSW forward Jack de Belin's future is still in limbo after being suspended through the NRL's no-fault stand-down policy because he faces an aggravated sexual assault charge.

Source AAP

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/graham-to-miss-two-months-in-dragons-blow

getsmarty

Immortal
lafai_rc1_7567.jpg

INJURIES

Lafai return-to-play time frame determined
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 29 May 2019, 10:39 AM

St George Illawarra can confirm that Dragons centre Tim Lafai will be unavailable to play for approximately six weeks.

While it was determined that Lafai had suffered a syndesmosis injury earlier in the week, follow up scans and specialist consultations were required to determine the return to play time frame.

News of Lafai's layoff comes as the Dragons confirmed on Monday evening that front-rower James Graham will approximately miss the next two months due to a fibula fracture.

Graham and Lafai were both injured in the first half of the Dragons' 22-9 loss to the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks on Sunday afternoon.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/05/29/lafai-return-to-play-time-frame-determined/

getsmarty

Immortal
Vaughan, Frizell confident Dragons will benefit from week off
Dragons Den
r0_266_4267_2674_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Eyes up: Paul Vaughan. Picture: NRL Imagery.

Fans and commentators may be lining up to write off St George Illawarra after an underwhelming start to the season, but don't tell that to the players, who firmly believe a top-eight finish is within their reach.

With the bye this weekend, the Dragons are licking their wounds after slumping to five-straight defeats to fall to 13th on the ladder.

Not receiving a week off are Ben Hunt, Tyson Frizell and Paul Vaughan, with the trio set to feature for their respective states in next Wednesday's State of Origin opener.

For Vaughan and Frizell, the chance for all players to step away and refresh after a challenging start to the season will ultimately benefit the side as they begin a push to the finals.

"For the boys to break up, get a couple of days away with the family, if they're travelling or going for a little bit of a holiday, it freshens you up a little bit," Vaughan said. "Then you can come back in when you're required, get the job done and look forward to starting the second half of the season strongly."

The sluggish start marks a contrast to the Dragons of recent years, with the side known for bursting out of the gates before fading in the latter rounds.

The prospect of a fast start was dashed before the season began, with Jack de Belin stood down under the NRL's no-fault stand down policy.

The challenges continued to emerge, with Frizell, Gareth Widdop, Korbin Sims and Corey Norman all spending time in the casualty ward before the Dragons were dealt a double blow in Sunday's loss with James Graham and Tim Lafai both set for extended stints on the sidelines.

Whereas the Origin period has derailed St George Illawarra's campaign in previous years, the draw has been kind to the club in 2019.

The Origin trio will receive an extended break before the Dragons round 13 clash with the Bulldogs on the Queen's Birthday public holiday.

A trip to Manly follows before the competition-wide bye and three games at WIN Stadium against the Cowboys, Storm and Raiders.

Frizell admits the start of the year has been challenging, but he's looking forward to finding an even more determined squad when he returns to Wollongong.

Read more: Josh Morris eager to step up after earning State of Origin recall

"It's been a difficult few weeks and probably something we haven't been a part of at this time of year," Frizell said. "Usually people are saying that we're flying and going to fall away.

"We haven't started the year too well, hopefully this break is a bit of a kick in the arse and gets the boys a lot more hungry to come back and prepare well and want to play well and get our season back on track."

While this week's bye will clearly benefit the wider Dragons playing squad, Frizell is confident it will hold more specific individual benefits.

With the Dragons not playing this weekend, Frizell can fully focus on his next challenge, overcoming the Maroons in their own backyard on Wednesday night.

"As much as you focus on club footy and what's going on there, we've got a break now so I can solely set my mind away from club footy and focus it all on Origin.

"It's a massive arena and your sole focus needs to be on Origin because any focus away from it can probably hurt you at some point. With the bye for the Dragons, I'm happy to not worry about how our team's going or what's going on."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...t-dragons-will-benefit-from-week-off/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
img_5824.jpg

COMMUNITY

Frizell brightens fan's day despite concussion
Author
Timestamp
Thu 30 May 2019, 08:09 AM

St George Illawarra back-rower Tyson Frizell's sickening head clash with former teammate Josh Dugan in the first half of the Dragons' loss to the Sharks over the weekend spelled bad news for all and sundry.

Everyone, except for one Dragons fan.

There was one little bloke who you'd be hard-pressed to wipe the smile off his face come game's end, despite the 13-point loss to Cronulla.

img_5833.jpg

Issac, who hails from Blacktown, was lucky enough to take home Frizell's indigenous-themed boots for the long trek home from Wollongong.

Frizell, not content with tempting fate of a second concussion while wearing the boots, is okay and is expected to line-up for New South Wales in State of Origin I next week.

While it will be a long time before Issac grows into the boots, it's a safe bet that he'll be showing off his new favourite possession at St Claire's Comets training this week.

dsc_0270.jpg

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/05/30/frizell-brightens-fans-day-despite-concussion/

getsmarty

Immortal
WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Dragons announce 2019 NRL Women's Premiership staff
Author
Timestamp
Thu 30 May 2019, 09:48 AM

St George Illawarra have announced Daniel Lacey has been reappointed as head coach of the Dragons' Women Premiership team while inaugural skipper and mother-to-be Sam Bremner will join the women's coaching staff ahead of the 2019 competition.

Alicia-Kate Hawke will return as an assistant coach while long-term Australia Jillaroos trainer Pamela Goodridge will again oversee the athletic performance of the squad.

"To be given the position last year in the inaugural Women's Premiership season was special, but to return in the role is a great honour," Lacey said.

"The whole Women's Premiership staff are back on board with me in 2019. They already do a lot of work for women's rugby league in the area, and we're keen to build on that.

"Now with Sammy on board to lend her way off the field, we'll be looking at her to be highly involved with the entire squad which is a big plus for us."

With 'Baby Bremner' due in August, it was not possible for Bremner to participate as a player in the 2019 NRL Holden Women's Premiership, but she was determined to remain involved.

"I am honoured to join the Dragons' women's team's coaching staff and I'll be doing everything I can to contribute to the success of the team this year," Bremner said. "I love the fact that I'm staying involved.

"I'm an all or nothing individual so now I'm officially on the coaching staff I'll do anything I can to help the girls achieve what they want to achieve which will make me a better teammate, player and coach moving forward."

Bremner named Dragons Women's Premiership assistant coach

Bremner, as a result of her pregnancy, has temporarily shifted her rugby league focus to coaching the Helensburgh Tiger Lillies in 2019 – the team she founded herself almost a decade ago – in the Illawarra open women's competition.

"One of the best decisions I've made in 2019 [is coaching Helensburgh]. I thought I'd really struggle not playing but I'm actually enjoying it," Bremner said.

"Coaching is a tough gig at times but I've definitely gained respect for the role and all my past coaches. I've learnt more about the game from a different perspective as well."

Several inaugural Women's Premiership teammates of Bremner have expressed interest in re-signing with the Dragons; a fact that comes as no shock.

"We built such a fantastic culture and bond last year; we wanted to be a strong team so it's not surprising that there will be plenty of girls coming back to play this season," Bremner said.

"[Being at the Dragons] became addictive and that's why you play rugby league – it makes you feel empowered and really good about yourself."

One of the key figures responsible for the strong Dragons' Women's Premiership culture was Lacey, who with more time, reviewing and planning is aiming to field an even better team in 2019.

"We have had a lot more time second time around to look at recruitment. It was very rushed last year trying to put it all together; but now we've been afforded the flexibility to build a stronger squad for this season."

The success of the premiership-winning Illawarra Steelers – which Lacey coached – and the top four finish of the St George Dragons in the Tarsha Gale Cup is proof the club as a whole is on the right path as far as its women's pathway is concerned.

"We have also been working hard with our pathways, to bring girls through from the junior representative teams to the NRL. This approach will be no different in 2019," Lacey said.

"Even before we were awarded an NRL licence, we put a lot of time and energy into the juniors which has proven fruitful given the success of the Illawarra Steelers and St George Dragons at the Tarsha Gale Cup level in 2019."

The Dragons' Women's Premiership team is the pinnacle of the female rugby league pathway across the club's region – from Earlwood in Sydney to Bateman's Bay on the South Coast – with more than 15,000 girls and women from Under-6s to opens currently competing in our region across tackle, tag and touch football.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/05/30/dragons-confirm-2019-nrl-womens-premiership-staff/

getsmarty

Immortal
nrl-womens-championships--180603_jo6-176.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Five things to watch: Women's National Championships
Author
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 30 May 2019, 09:01 AM
newtonalicia-head.png

The 2019 Harvey Norman National Championships kick off on Thursday with the tournament acting as the season's biggest selection trial for players and NRLW scouts to lock in female talent.

The Championships can either make or break a players' chances for State of Origin selection or scoring a NRLW contract for the second season in September.

Here are five things we'll learn this weekend.

1. Will the Blues find their outside back replacements?
Incoming NSW coach Andy Patmore has more than one reason to attend the Championships with at least five spots up for grabs based on last year's inaugural side that beat Queensland 16-10 at North Sydney Oval.

The Blues will be without Sam Bremner, Taleena Simon, Nakia Davis-Welsh (all pregnancies), Nita Maynard (ineligible) and stalwart five-eighth Lavina O'Mealey, who has retired.

NSW City and Country hopefuls out to prove a point to replace the five will include the likes of NRLW players Shontelle Stowers, Jess Sergis, Keeley Davis, Rikeya Horne, Quincy Dodd and Shakiah Tungai.

2. Who will be next to take their chance?
Australian Jillaroos representatives Holli Wheeler, Hannah Southwell (NSW Country) and Julia Robinson (ADF) were the big winners in 2018, using the tournament as a springboard towards state and international selection plus NRLW contracts by season's end.

The tournament also proved pivotal for Queensland teenager Rhiannon Revell-Blair, who was playing for the Maroons three weeks later after impressing in the games played for the Country side.

NRL Women's National Championship - Day one

3. Can a Queensland team reach the final?
The sunshine state was left red-faced in 2018 when neither Queensland City or Queensland Country played in the championship final despite hosting the tournament on the Gold Coast.

While the Queensland sides played off for third place, both NSW City and Country were warming up to play out for the trophy.

Several Blues women thought the occasion gave them a psychological advantage heading into the Origin encounter three weeks later with rugby league in NSW proving the more dominant state with results last season.

4. Will injuries be a talking point?
Last year's tournament came with its fair share of drama headlined with NSW leader Ruan Sims suffering a broken wrist and nose to be ruled out of Origin contention.

The scheduling around the championships was criticised by both players and coaches with little time between games for each side to recover and prepare.

Organisers have allowed an extra day's rest this year after taking feedback on board. Only time will tell how it all works out from a physical point of view.

5. Can the Maroons find some fresh forwards?
Queensland coach Jason Hetherington is set to have the services of veteran forward Steph Hancock and Heather Ballinger for at least one more Origin campaign but he'll be searching for replacements for Rona Peters and Maitua Feterika after the pair were ruled ineligible due to their commitments to New Zealand.

Hetherington will be searching for a couple of young forwards to stand up this weekend, especially against some of the tougher NSW opposition the state will face on June 21.

For full details on the draw, click here. Matches will be live streamed via NRL.com, with the final two matches of the Championship (on Sunday) broadcast on Fox League.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/05/30/five-things-to-watch-womens-national-championships/

getsmarty

Immortal
ARLC rules out finals Wildcard Weekend
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Wed 29 May 2019, 04:44 PM

The Australian Rugby League Commission has axed any plans for a possible Wildcard Weekend, with no immediate changes to be made to the structure of the Telstra Premiership finals series.

The NRL floated the concept in March, which would have involved the teams finishing ninth and 10th on the ladder playing off against the seventh- and eighth-placed teams, with the winning sides to advance to the finals. The top six teams would have the weekend off.

Speaking after the ARLC's monthly meeting on Wednesday, chairman Peter Beattie said the decision had been made to stick with the current finals format.

"There are two things that this Commission is driven by, and that is consultation and innovation," Beattie said.

"We sought input from a range of stakeholders on the concept of a Wildcard Weekend and whilst it is fair to say that there was strong support in some quarters, on balance, the Commission has determined that the Finals Series will remain as is for the time being.

"We will always look for ways to improve and grow our game, and that includes looking at all options across our regular season and Finals Series, to engage with wider audiences, boost our broadcast figures and promote our commercial partners."

The ARLC also determined that the NRL Holden Women's Premiership Grand Final would be played immediately prior to the men's grand final on October 6.

The commission also revealed the results of this month's Magic Round in Brisbane, with crowd numbers up 12.5%, NRL digital engagement up 10% and TV numbers up 2%.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/05/30/arlc-rules-out-finals-wildcard-weekend/

Latest posts