What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

BLM01

First Grade
I'm also unhappy with the Dragons. Can I quit too?

But seriously this story is bizarre. Is this really considered journalism?
The old Danny Weidler.
What ever he gets drip fed by his so called mates in high places .. must be true and gospel as he gets all the goss that no one else knows....according to Danny.

getsmarty

Immortal
widdopg_2nh_2363.jpg

DRAGONS

Widdop: Stars heading to Super League good for global game
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 29 Jul 2019, 06:01 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Warrington-bound Dragons captain Gareth Widdop expects more high-profile NRL players to head to Super League after South Sydney prop George Burgess joined Penrith five-eighth James Maloney as the latest big names to make the move.

Widdop, who confirmed his availability for England’s World Nines squad and the Great Britain Lions tour, finalised his deal with Warrington before the start of the season and he has watched with interest as other stars have also decided to play in Super League while still in top form.

Burgess, who hopes to reach the milestone of 150 NRL appearances when he returns from a nine-match ban for gouging, has signed a three-year deal with Wigan, who recently beat a number of NRL and Super League clubs for the services of former Roosters and Manly halfback Jackson Hastings.

Maloney, who helped NSW to back-to-back State of Origin triumphs, last week requested a release from Penrith to join French Super League club Catalans, while a number of other NRL players have opted to move to England in recent weeks and others are expected to join them.

Eels forward Manu Ma’u is headed Hull FC next season on a two-year deal, while Cronulla winger Sosaia Feki will join Castleford after signing until the end of the 2022 season.

Wigan have signed Eels flyer Bevan French on a deal starting immediately until the end of the 2021 season, while Sydney Roosters halfback Brock Lamb has flown to England to kick off a similar deal with London Broncos.

"They have got some good quality players over there and there are still good quality players going over there," Widdop said.

Episode 22 – Josh Mansour

"We want both competitions to be strong because it is going to help rugby league in general so hopefully we can get a few more going over to the Super League."

While up to half of Wayne Bennett’s England squad is now playing in the NRL. Widdop said he had no regrets about heading in the opposite direction as he came to Australia as a teenager with his family and came through the Melbourne Storm system.

Like Burgess, he has never played in the Super League and he wanted to do so while he was still in good form.

"My path is a little bit different to most of the boys, I obviously started out in the NRL and now I want to go over there and experience it," Widdop said.

At Warrington, he will line up alongside former Penrth, Wests Tigers and Canberra playmaker Blake Austin, who was leading the Super League Man of Steel award with Hastings when voting went private two weeks ago.

Austin’s selection in a train-on squad for the World Nines and the end-of-season Great Britain Lions tour has sparked controversy but Widdop is keen to play alongside him if he gets the chance.

"Obviously he has been going tremendous over there and he has put his hand up to play for Great Britain at the end of the year, or play for England, which is great if he feels passionate about that," Widdop said.

"I am sure he is doing it for the right reasons, if he wasn’t I don’t think Wayne would have put him in the squad."

Before then, Widdop is focused on helping St George Illawarra to finish the season as high up the NRL ladder as possible after returning last Friday night from an 18-week layoff with a shoulder injury.

Widdop gave a glimpse of how badly he had been missed capped by a penalty goal from 30 metres out near the sideline to put the Dragons ahead 16-14 with just two minutes remaining but South Sydney winger Campbell Graham scored a late try to snatch victory.

Get to know teenage two-try Dragons debutant Jason Saab

"It’s great to be back out playing and I am just going to enjoy these next five or six weeks with the boys," WIddop said. The Dragons host Parramatta on Sunday at Kogarah.

"Obviously I have been at this club for a long time now and I have got a lot of mates here.

"We’ve got two home games coming up [against the Eels and Titans] so it is important to go out there and put in the effort and performance, not for ourselves or each other but for our fans and to show what it means to wear the jersey."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...heading-to-super-league-good-for-global-game/

BLM01

First Grade
widdopg_2nh_2363.jpg

DRAGONS

Widdop: Stars heading to Super League good for global game
Author
Timestamp
Mon 29 Jul 2019, 06:01 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Warrington-bound Dragons captain Gareth Widdop expects more high-profile NRL players to head to Super League after South Sydney prop George Burgess joined Penrith five-eighth James Maloney as the latest big names to make the move.

Widdop, who confirmed his availability for England’s World Nines squad and the Great Britain Lions tour, finalised his deal with Warrington before the start of the season and he has watched with interest as other stars have also decided to play in Super League while still in top form.

Burgess, who hopes to reach the milestone of 150 NRL appearances when he returns from a nine-match ban for gouging, has signed a three-year deal with Wigan, who recently beat a number of NRL and Super League clubs for the services of former Roosters and Manly halfback Jackson Hastings.

Maloney, who helped NSW to back-to-back State of Origin triumphs, last week requested a release from Penrith to join French Super League club Catalans, while a number of other NRL players have opted to move to England in recent weeks and others are expected to join them.

Eels forward Manu Ma’u is headed Hull FC next season on a two-year deal, while Cronulla winger Sosaia Feki will join Castleford after signing until the end of the 2022 season.

Wigan have signed Eels flyer Bevan French on a deal starting immediately until the end of the 2021 season, while Sydney Roosters halfback Brock Lamb has flown to England to kick off a similar deal with London Broncos.

"They have got some good quality players over there and there are still good quality players going over there," Widdop said.

Episode 22 – Josh Mansour

"We want both competitions to be strong because it is going to help rugby league in general so hopefully we can get a few more going over to the Super League."

While up to half of Wayne Bennett’s England squad is now playing in the NRL. Widdop said he had no regrets about heading in the opposite direction as he came to Australia as a teenager with his family and came through the Melbourne Storm system.

Like Burgess, he has never played in the Super League and he wanted to do so while he was still in good form.

"My path is a little bit different to most of the boys, I obviously started out in the NRL and now I want to go over there and experience it," Widdop said.

At Warrington, he will line up alongside former Penrth, Wests Tigers and Canberra playmaker Blake Austin, who was leading the Super League Man of Steel award with Hastings when voting went private two weeks ago.

Austin’s selection in a train-on squad for the World Nines and the end-of-season Great Britain Lions tour has sparked controversy but Widdop is keen to play alongside him if he gets the chance.

"Obviously he has been going tremendous over there and he has put his hand up to play for Great Britain at the end of the year, or play for England, which is great if he feels passionate about that," Widdop said.

"I am sure he is doing it for the right reasons, if he wasn’t I don’t think Wayne would have put him in the squad."

Before then, Widdop is focused on helping St George Illawarra to finish the season as high up the NRL ladder as possible after returning last Friday night from an 18-week layoff with a shoulder injury.

Widdop gave a glimpse of how badly he had been missed capped by a penalty goal from 30 metres out near the sideline to put the Dragons ahead 16-14 with just two minutes remaining but South Sydney winger Campbell Graham scored a late try to snatch victory.

Get to know teenage two-try Dragons debutant Jason Saab

"It’s great to be back out playing and I am just going to enjoy these next five or six weeks with the boys," WIddop said. The Dragons host Parramatta on Sunday at Kogarah.

"Obviously I have been at this club for a long time now and I have got a lot of mates here.

"We’ve got two home games coming up [against the Eels and Titans] so it is important to go out there and put in the effort and performance, not for ourselves or each other but for our fans and to show what it means to wear the jersey."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...heading-to-super-league-good-for-global-game/
Good for the global game....really and that is more important than the heartland areas of Australia that are dying fast as less kids / adults playing the game.
The NRL product is getting diluted of depth and skill except from a few at each club..with the rest replaced by more athletes and big frames.

getsmarty

Immortal
hiremeh-180909704-sd.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Apps hails Hireme's role in Dragons landing stars
Author
Timestamp
Thu 1 Aug 2019, 05:28 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Honey Hireme no longer plays for St George Illawarra but the experience the Kiwi Ferns superstar had at the club last season has been credited for other big-name stars wanting to join the Dragons.

Brittany Breayley, the 2018 Dally M player of the year, Kimiora Nati, who was the inaugural Karyn Murphy Medal winner as player of the grand final, and 2017 international player of the year Teuila Fotu-Moala head a star-studded list of recruits for the upcoming NRL Holden Women’s Premiership.

Nati, Fotu-Moala, Maitua Feteriki and Ngatokotoru Arakua were members of the Kiwi Ferns squad for last year’s Test against the Jillaroos at Mt Smart Stadium and Dragons captain Kezie Apps believes they wanted to join the club after hearing how much Hireme enjoyed her stint in the Red V.

The quartet also played alongside Breayley in Brisbane’s history-making NRLW premiership-winning team and the Jillaroos hooker has made the move to St George Illawarra with them.

“I feel like Honey Hireme has had a big influence on some of those girls coming down and I think the experience she had at the Dragons was one that she absolutely loved,” Apps said.

breayleyb-2gp_1735.jpg

New Dragons recruit Brittany Breayley tasted NRLW glory with Brisbane. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
“We had these players knocking on our door wanting to come and join the Dragons after hearing about the culture we had here last year.

“Knowing that the girls had a really good time and a really great experience had an influence on those sort of players wanting to come and join the Dragons.”

Hireme will play for the Warriors this season and after returning home to New Zealand she has helped to revive a women's competition in the Waikato by taking on a captain-coach role with Hamilton City Tigers.

“Honey loves what the Dragons are about, how we are a development club and what we have done with women’s rugby league in the area, from under 16s and under 18s to the opens,” Apps said.

“We are in it for the long haul, we didn’t get a licence just because we wanted to have a side in the competition, we wanted it because we have been building it for a long time.”

Apps plays for Helensburgh in the Illawarra Women’s Premiership, while Keeley Davis, Rikeya Horne and Shakiah Tungai are local juniors who became representative stars last season.

appsk-1gp_6997.jpg

Kezie Apps celebrates NSW's Origin victory at North Sydney Oval. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
The Dragons have also promoted 2018 development players Maddison Weatherall and Aaliyah Fasavalu-Fa’amausili to the squad of 22 which will begin training on August 13.

NSW halfback Maddie Studdon is another star with local links after beginning her career at Helensburgh.

Studdon will be joined at St George Illawarra by former Sydney Roosters team-mate Bottille Vette-Welsh.

In total, the Dragons squad will boast eight Jillaroos and four Kiwi Ferns representatives, as well as emerging star such as Tiana Penitani, who was player of the tournament at the recent National Championships.

With a combination of big-name stars and local talent, St George Illawarra will be one of the favourites for the NRLW title and the club has launched a $50 Dragons Women’s Premiership membership package to enable fans to support the team.

“We have still got our local girls and our local talent, which is awesome, and the development players from last year but to have the Broncos girls and Maddie from the Roosters is really exciting,” Apps said.

“They are players you don’t want to play against because you know how good they are so to have them in our squad is exciting and I can’t wait to start training and building those combinations.

“It is just awesome that so many girls wanted to come and join the Dragons and join the culture we have created and hopefully continue to grow.”

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/08/01/apps-hails-hiremes-role-in-dragons-landing-stars/

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I wouldn't even change the photo. Seems someone is trying to sell a book. There may or may not be something in it but just celebrate what he did on the football field.

Yes, l agree.
I'm not going to let someone change my view of the man.
Changa was and still is a legend.

hewi

Bench
The problem when someone passes away is the law of defamation no longer applies. Where’s the proof? A scandalous stain on his reputation. He was innocent and a legend.

jeffdragon

Bench
Jason nightingale to be interviewed on Macquarie sports radio.
954 sydney.
In a few minutes they might put it on podcast.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Is it any wonder are team are playing crap each week.
The coach has players talking crap for him ............... and obviously believing it.

Taken from an article today with Lomax making comment.

Pure dribble................................

Lomax said the last-gasp loss to the second-placed Rabbitohs was an indication of what the Dragons could have achieved had they been able to remain at full strength.

“Mary actually told us that last week was the first week he was able to pick whatever team he wanted for the whole year, so to lose in the last 15 or 20 seconds to a team who are running second is a confidence boost,” Lomax said.

Qapm

Juniors

“Mary actually told us that last week was the first week he was able to pick whatever team he wanted for the whole year, so to lose in the last 15 or 20 seconds to a team who are running second is a confidence boost,” Lomax said.

It all makes sense now. Not the coach's fault and he could finally pick his team.

It's either that or I need to look up Narcissistic Personality Disorder..........

Honest question: has there been one statement from McGregor in which he's ever taken some of the blame?

getsmarty

Immortal
NRLW 2019: Culture the biggest carrot for star-studded Dragons
Dragons Den
r850_0_4348_2995_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

PUMPED: Dragons skipper Kezie Apps is excited by the club's fresh roster. Picture: NRL Photos

IF he wasn't a footy coach, Dragons NRLW mentor Daniel Lacey would make a pretty decent tourism manager with his ability to sell Wollongong.

The squad he's put together ahead of the upcoming season reads more like an All-Stars line-up than a club roster having lured Star trio Brittany Breayley, Maitua Feterika and Teulia Fotu-Moala south from Brisbane.

Former Helensburgh Tigerlilly Maddie Studdon has joined the club along with star outside back Tiana Penitani.

One might assume skipper Kezie Apps had a role to play in the recruitment process, but the incumbent Blues captain says she didn't have to do much selling at all.

"I had Lacey ring me and say 'you won't believe who wants to come and play for us'," Apps said.

"He rattled off some of the names, Britt, Teuila, Maitua and I thought he was pulling my leg. We've had girls knocking on our door and wanting to come and join the Dragons.

"I certainly feel they want to play for the Dragons, it's not a last resort or anything like that. We might not have the fanciest facilities like the Broncos or the Roosters might have but money can't buy happiness.

"It's about what you build and what you do within your club. Lacey's done a really good job at starting that culture for us and the senior playing group has tried to drive it.

"I'm not sure what the other clubs were like internally because you never really know but I know for a fact that what we've started is something special and we want to grow that culture."

Bookies are yet to frame markets for the NRLW premiership but you can bet the Dragons to be at very short odds when they eventually open.

r0_0_3584_3109_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

SIGNING COUP: Kiwi Ferns star Teulia Fotu-Moala is a big addition to the Dragons squad. Picture: NRL Photos

That can be a heavy burden to carry, particularly in a month-long competition that offers very little room for error, and Apps says it's certainly not something that will factor into the squad's thinking.

"We won't be carrying that sort of tag on our own back," Apps said.

"On paper we seem really strong but you look at the Roosters last year, they looked really strong on paper but it took them a few games to get the hang of things.

"Everyone's in the same boat this year. We don't have long together, we can't start the season slow and develop as it goes, we've got to be switched on from the get go.

"It's pretty much rep footy so anything can happen. We're still a fresh a group that hasn't played together before so it's going to be all new trying to build those combinations.

"As much as the media might say we'll go into it as favourites, I don't want that in the girls heads at all."

They might now boast the most stacked roster in the NRLW, but Apps says junior development will continue to be the key focus for the club.

Local juniors Shakiah Tungai and Keeley Davis both earned rep honours last season, the latter a maiden Jillaroos jumper, and will return in 2019.

Rikeyah Horne is another youngster to return while Tarsha Gale Cup standouts Maddie Weatherall and Aaliyah Fasavalu-Fa'amausili have been elevated from development player status to the full squad this season.

"As a club we're all about growing our talent and growing the women's game," Apps said.

"We've signed Keeley, Shak and Rik again and Madd [Studdon] started playing for Helensburgh when she started her rugby league career so I'm really excited that she's back with us.

"Last year we had two development players in Maddison and Aaliyah. They were too young to play NRLW but they absolutely killed the Tarsha Gale Cup and they're able to play this year.

"We've signed on four girls as development players for the future and next year they can hopefully slot straight in. We are thinking of the future and we want to develop the younger girls."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...gest-carrot-for-star-studded-dragons/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
McGregor safe for now, but Dragons face making some hard NRL calls
  • Dragons Den
    r0_0_4528_3019_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Lead the way: Dragons coach Paul McGregor plans ahead with NSW State of Origin forward Tyson Frizell. Picture: Adam McLean
    The elastic band snapped before slingshotting for St George Illawarra.

The last six weeks presented such an opportunity for them, if only they could have held on long enough to stay in finals contention.

But now it's over, instead becoming a farewell tour for Dragons captain Gareth Widdop, who will never have a meaningful shot at winning a title since moving from Melbourne.

In the run to Mad Monday, they meet the Titans twice, the Sharks, Tigers and Roosters, as well as Sunday's game against Parramatta.

Of those, only against the premiers would you pencil in a loss. Even six from six and they almost certainly still miss out on finals.

Social media channels and fan forums have taken to the pitchforks and flaming torches again, demanding Paul McGregor's removal, wanting to put him on the scrap heap alongside Steve Price and Nathan Brown.

Only an outsider is good enough, the narrative continues, given Wayne Bennett delivered their only post-merger premiership.

Unless the wheels really do fall off in the final six rounds, McGregor will certainly be coach next year, but the pressure will be intense from round one.

Those wanting McGregor's removal must understand that revolution, rather than evolution, is a mixed bag.

Bennett simplifies the game, raising the likelihood of immediate results, as he's done with Souths, in contrast to Anthony Seibold, rebuilding and remodelling at Brisbane. The Dragons' end-of-season review will be, or at least should be demanding.

READ MORE: Illawarra League 2019: Devils with point to prove at home

Is Matt Dufty the long-term fullback or not? Is Euan Aitken the first-choice centre?

Where is Zac Lomax's best position?

r0_0_2904_1639_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Allegation: Jack de Belin. Picture: AAP Image/Dean Lewins

Should Jack de Belin, with all the distraction and his own pent-up frustration at being stood down from playing by the NRL, have been allowed to train with the first grade squad all year, especially when they were fighting to keep their season alive? What future does Jai Field have at the club?

And what of the back three, with the selection door revolving of Jordan Pereira, Jonus Pearson, Mikaele Ravalawa and Jason Saab?

They haven't handled losing the experience of Brett Morris and more recently Jason Nightingale.

Injuries a factor, but the gap between St George Illawarra's best and worst has been extraordinary this year. De Belin's ongoing court cases have had a huge impact, given his position as a State of Origin player, leader of the team song and conduit between the leadership group and younger players.

But on the field the Dragons have conceded 425 points, just six fewer than the Gold Coast, who already sacked Garth Brennan.

The choice between revolution and evolution might be shaped in the six weeks the Dragons have left.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-now-but-dragons-face-making-some-hard-calls/

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
McGregor safe for now, but Dragons face making some hard NRL calls
  • Dragons Den
    r0_0_4528_3019_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Lead the way: Dragons coach Paul McGregor plans ahead with NSW State of Origin forward Tyson Frizell. Picture: Adam McLean
    The elastic band snapped before slingshotting for St George Illawarra.

The last six weeks presented such an opportunity for them, if only they could have held on long enough to stay in finals contention.

But now it's over, instead becoming a farewell tour for Dragons captain Gareth Widdop, who will never have a meaningful shot at winning a title since moving from Melbourne.

In the run to Mad Monday, they meet the Titans twice, the Sharks, Tigers and Roosters, as well as Sunday's game against Parramatta.

Of those, only against the premiers would you pencil in a loss. Even six from six and they almost certainly still miss out on finals.

Social media channels and fan forums have taken to the pitchforks and flaming torches again, demanding Paul McGregor's removal, wanting to put him on the scrap heap alongside Steve Price and Nathan Brown.

Only an outsider is good enough, the narrative continues, given Wayne Bennett delivered their only post-merger premiership.

Unless the wheels really do fall off in the final six rounds, McGregor will certainly be coach next year, but the pressure will be intense from round one.

Those wanting McGregor's removal must understand that revolution, rather than evolution, is a mixed bag.

Bennett simplifies the game, raising the likelihood of immediate results, as he's done with Souths, in contrast to Anthony Seibold, rebuilding and remodelling at Brisbane. The Dragons' end-of-season review will be, or at least should be demanding.

READ MORE: Illawarra League 2019: Devils with point to prove at home

Is Matt Dufty the long-term fullback or not? Is Euan Aitken the first-choice centre?

Where is Zac Lomax's best position?

r0_0_2904_1639_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Allegation: Jack de Belin. Picture: AAP Image/Dean Lewins

Should Jack de Belin, with all the distraction and his own pent-up frustration at being stood down from playing by the NRL, have been allowed to train with the first grade squad all year, especially when they were fighting to keep their season alive? What future does Jai Field have at the club?

And what of the back three, with the selection door revolving of Jordan Pereira, Jonus Pearson, Mikaele Ravalawa and Jason Saab?

They haven't handled losing the experience of Brett Morris and more recently Jason Nightingale.

Injuries a factor, but the gap between St George Illawarra's best and worst has been extraordinary this year. De Belin's ongoing court cases have had a huge impact, given his position as a State of Origin player, leader of the team song and conduit between the leadership group and younger players.

But on the field the Dragons have conceded 425 points, just six fewer than the Gold Coast, who already sacked Garth Brennan.

The choice between revolution and evolution might be shaped in the six weeks the Dragons have left.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-now-but-dragons-face-making-some-hard-calls/

Good, hope he drives the team, well and truly up Ship Creek between now and the final game.

We need him gone!

getsmarty

Immortal
10-year Member Loyalty Event
Sat 3 Aug 2019, 12:38 PM
250 members were exclusively invited to attend the Dragons captain run for their Round 20 match against Parramatta, as a big thank you for 10+ years of membership with St George Illawarra. Some lucky winners were also able to present the players with their playing jersey for Sunday, before getting the chance to mingle with the players over food and drinks. Here are some of the photos from the morning.

members1.jpg

members2.jpg

members6.jpg

members7.jpg

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/08/03/10-year-member-loyalty-event/

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Paul McGregor feels the heat, the Rabbitohs need to find form
The Daily Telegraph
August 5, 2019 10:54am
The knives are out for St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor.

As the Dragons’ disappointing season drags on, fed-up supporters have McGregor in their sights, and the Monday Bunker turned the spotlight on the club following Sunday’s loss to Parramatta.

“They’ve been disappointing all year,” The Daily Telegraph’s Paul Crawley said.

“They’ve got some tough questions to answer, not just about the coach but about the roster because it’s just not aiming up. There’s players in that team that are just not aiming up.”

similars

But while McGregor is feeling there could be even bigger issues for the Dragons than the coaching position.

“The questions about the roster aren’t necessarily directed to the coach because he isn’t the person who makes the decisions there,” The Daily Telegraph’s Fatima Kdouh said.

“They’ve got a recruitment go who signs off on Ben Hunt on a million dollars, who signs off on Corey Norman and the rest.

“There are questions to be raised.

“The Dragons have won six games — that’s as many as the Bulldogs and one more than the Titans. That’s how poorly this season has gone for them.”

The Courier-Mail’s Robert Craddock said the Dragons should be performing much better given their strong squad.

“They’ve got five State of Origin players and that’s enough — there’s the backbone of a club right there,” he said

Latest posts