What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
dsc_0767.jpg

IMMORTALS

Breaking
Magic Dragon returns to Kogarah
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 12 Jul 2019, 11:57 AM

Rugby league immortal and Dragons legend, Reg Gasnier has returned to Kogarah today in recognition of the Sydney Cricket Ground's longstanding partnership with the St George Illawarra club.

The life-size bronze likeness of Gasnier is one of the sculptures relocated as part of the New South Wales Government's redevelopment of the Sydney Football Stadium.

SCG Chairman Tony Shepherd, said: "Today, we are delighted to return Reg Gasnier to his beloved Netstrata Jubilee Stadium where he scored many tries and delighted the Dragons faithful."

"Reg features strongly in the SCG's history as a member of all-conquering St George, NSW and Australian sides. Indeed, the Dragons of Reg's era made the SCG their home ground during their 11 straight premierships.

"The redevelopment of the Sydney Football Stadium provided the opportunity to find a temporary home for Reg and in recognition of our strong partnership with the St George Illawarra club, we are delighted to loan him to Georges River Council and the Dragons to display at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium.

"The sculpture of Reg captures his unique upright running style thanks to the brilliance of artist Terrance Plowright and the attention to detail of the men behind the SCG's sculpture project, former chairman Rodney Cavalier and benefactor Basil Sellers."

St George District Rugby League Football Club Chairman Craig Young said: "The Dragons have a significant history with the Sydney Cricket Ground, and we are both delighted and honoured that the trustees of the Sydney Cricket Ground have made the decision to bring this statue of Reg to Kogarah while they undergo redevelopment works in their precinct.

"Reg began his career with Renown United in the St George District and went on as we all know to become and Immortal of the game. This is Reg's spiritual home and it is very special to have his sculpture here at Kogarah.

"On behalf of everyone associated with the Dragons, I sincerely thank Tony Shepherd and all at the Sydney Cricket Ground for providing us with this opportunity and to Georges River Council for their support."

Gasnier, nicknamed 'Puff the Magic Dragon' and the 'Prince of Centres', is universally celebrated as one of the greatest rugby league players. He was a St George junior with the famous Renown United, who went on to represent his club, his state and his country at the highest levels.

The bronze sculpture of Gasnier will be returned to the new Sydney Football Stadium when it is completed in 2022.

The remaining six sculptures – Betty Cuthbert and Marlene Mathews, Trevor Allen, Ken Catchpole, Johnny Warren and Dally Messenger – will be relocated to other temporary sites during the months ahead.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/07/12/magic-dragon-returns-to-kogarah/

getsmarty

Immortal
The magic dragon back at home
Local News
+7
Magic Dragon returns to Kogarah
Pictures John Veage
Rugby league immortal and Dragons legend, Reg Gasnier, has returned to Kogarah today in recognition of the Sydney Cricket Ground's longstanding partnership with the St George Illawarra club.

The life-size bronze likeness of Gasnier is one of the sculptures relocated as part of the state government's redevelopment of the Sydney Football Stadium.

SCG Chairman Tony Shepherd said they were delighted to return Reg Gasnier to his beloved Netstrata Jubilee Stadium where he scored many tries and delighted the Dragons faithful.

"Reg features strongly in the SCG's history as a member of all-conquering St George, NSW and Australian sides," Shepherd said.

"Indeed, the Dragons of Reg's era made the SCG their home ground during their 11 straight premierships.

"The redevelopment of the Sydney Football Stadium provided the opportunity to find a temporary home for Reg and in recognition of our strong partnership with the St George Illawarra club, we are delighted to loan him to Georges River Council and the Dragons to display at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium.

"The sculpture of Reg captures his unique upright running style thanks to the brilliance of artist Terrance Plowright and the attention to detail of the men behind the SCG's sculpture project, former chairman Rodney Cavalier and benefactor Basil Sellers."

St George District Rugby League Football Club Chairman, Craig Young, said the Dragons have a significant history with the SCG, and are both delighted and honoured that the trustees have made the decision to bring this statue of Gasnier to Kogarah while they undergo redevelopment works in their precinct.

"Reg began his career with Renown United in the St George District and went on as we all know to become an Immortal of the game," Young said,

"This is Reg's spiritual home and it is very special to have his sculpture here at Kogarah.

"On behalf of everyone associated with the Dragons, I sincerely thank Tony Shepherd and all at the Sydney Cricket Ground for providing us with this opportunity and to Georges River Council for their support."

Gasnier, nicknamed 'Puff the Magic Dragon' and the 'Prince of Centres', is universally celebrated as one of the greatest rugby league players.

He was a St George junior with the famous Renown United, who went on to represent his club, his state and his country at the highest levels.

The bronze sculpture of Gasnier will be returned to Moore Park when the new football is completed in 2022.

The remaining six sculptures - Betty Cuthbert and Marlene Mathews, Trevor Allen, Ken Catchpole, Johnny Warren and Dally Messenger - will be relocated to other temporary sites during the months ahead.

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/6271182/reg-returns-to-kogarah-oval/

getsmarty

Immortal
Widdop ready to boost St George Illawarra's finals hopes with return imminent
Dragons Den
r0_412_3631_2574_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Comeback imminent: Gareth Widdop. Picture: AAP Image/Michael Chambers.

After all the injuries the St George Illawarra Dragons have suffered this season, reinforcements are finally starting to arrive.

Tim Lafai returned last week, while James Graham remains an outside chance of making his comeback from a fractured fibula when the Dragons host Canberra on Sunday night.

And inspirational skipper Gareth Widdop confirmed Friday that he is just two to three weeks away from making his return from a shoulder injury.

The Englishman has been absent since he dislocated his shoulder in St George Illawarra's round three victory over the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium.

Since that time, the Dragons season has progressed in fits and starts, with every seemingly season-turning victory followed by a soul-crushing defeat.

Widdop's confident, however, that should his side get through the next couple of weeks, he'll be able to lead the Dragons to the finals.

"I'm back in training now, which is good," Widdop said. "I've been able to get my hands on a football again, which is a positive. I've got to get through the next couple of weeks training fully and if I can do that, hopefully I'll get back on the field.

"I'll be doing everything possible at training to be prepared. Obviously I've been out of the game for a number of weeks now, but I've been working hard at training to do my role, do my job. If I can do that, then hopefully we can knock some wins off."

Widdop's injury came as Dragons coach Paul McGregor attempted to manage a halves conundrum, with the skipper starting the season at fullback to allow Ben Hunt and off-season recruit Corey Norman to partner in the halves.

Read more: Frizell re-finds his groove in triumph

Widdop revealed on Friday that experiment is now over, with the skipper to don the number six jersey and Norman likely to shift to fullback.

"I'll come in and play five-eighth. I'll be training there, getting my hands back on the ball."

Sunday will be the last time Dragons fans can see the side in Wollongong, with four more home games to be played in Sydney. The club is working with the Illawarra Convoy for the match to raise funds for the Illawarra Community Foundation.

The fixture also begins a nine-game run home to the finals, with the side needing to win at least six of their remaining matches to keep their playoff chances alive.

In positive news, McGregor is confident the team's four Origin stars will backup for the crucial clash, with the coach to make a final decision after Saturday's captain's run.

Paul Vaughan is the man in the biggest doubt, the prop carrying a number of niggles, while Tyson Frizell, Hunt and Norman are all expected to be fit to play.

McGregor revealed Hunt is particularly eager rebound from Queensland's last-minute defeat and lead the Dragons in the run towards the finals.

"It's quite remarkable what he has achieved in Origin this year," McGregor said. "He plays a role at seven in club level and played nine for three 80 minute performances in Origin. I think he was nearly, probably Munster was the other one, the player of the Queensland side.

"The texts I got off Benny straight after the game were 'Let's get our season back to where we need it to be.' To me, that's the type of guy, the character we want in our club."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ost-st-george-illawarra-with-return-imminent/

Dragons 09

Juniors
Interesting that Gaz comes back into the 6 and Normy goes to fullback. Does that mean we see Dufty taking up a spot on the bench or banished to reggies? And what does Mary do with Lomax when he comes back? We know what he should do....but will he?

getsmarty

Immortal
Interesting that Gaz comes back into the 6 and Normy goes to fullback. Does that mean we see Dufty taking up a spot on the bench or banished to reggies? And what does Mary do with Lomax when he comes back? We know what he should do....but will he?

Rumour is Dufty has been told to look elsewhere for next year.

getsmarty

Immortal
breayleyb-1gp_5336.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Self pressure and personal demons: Why Breayley opted for Dragons
Author
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 14 Jul 2019, 10:01 AM
newtonalicia-head.png

Reigning Dally M medallist Brittany Breayley has opened up on her decision to leave the Broncos for St George Illawarra ahead of the NRL Holden Women's Premiership season.

Breayley's decision to depart the defending premiers sent shockwaves through the women's game but the passionate Queenslander said the club's decision not to renew coach Paul Dyer's contract, along with some self-pressure and her battle with some personal demons, all played their part.

The 28-year-old from Mackay will join former Broncos teammates Kimiora Nati, Teuila Fotu-Moala and Ngatokotoru Arakua at the Dragons in a major shake-up to the competition in its second season.

But Breayley indicated it was not a pact decision between the quartet and that she made the move after receiving a call from Dragons coach Daniel Lacey out of the blue.

"I never saw it coming," Breayley told NRL.com.

"I only ever saw myself playing for the Broncos, it's such a great club and Brisbane is home for me.

"The loss of Pauly D was a shock I guess but that wasn't the only reason why I left. There was a lot to consider being a female athlete with a job to uphold and a lot of other struggles in life.

breayleyb-dally-m-33.jpg

Women's Dally M Medal winner Brittany Breayley. :copyright:NRL Photos
"The opportunity was there for me and given a few things in my life that I've been working on, some personal demons, I took this as a bit of a blessing and feel it's the right decision for me.

"The Broncos were obviously really disappointed and I'll miss a lot of the girls but in the end I went with my heart."

It will be the first time she'll be able to work with Lacey, who is highly regarded in the Illawarra region and was assistant coach to the NSW City side in June.

Breayley said she felt enormous pressure to live up to the tag of being dubbed the best female player in the NRLW after taking out the prestigious medal last season.

"There is always some pressure. I came back to the field after injury and didn't have the greatest of returns," Breayley said.

"I haven't been playing the greatest footy. I'm always my biggest critic and have put a lot of pressure on myself and I want to redeem that and get back on track with a fresh start at the Dragons."

Breayley will meet her new teammates on Sunday for a club induction day before relocating to Wollongong in August for the eight-week period.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...rsonal-demons-why-breayley-opted-for-dragons/

getsmarty

Immortal
Why Mary and his little lambs have got to go

The Great One

Roar Rookie
13 hours ago

After the Dragons fell to another embarrassing home defeat with a near full-strength squad, serious questions need to be asked about the future of the club in the hands of coach Paul McGregor.

While the excuse that this season has been plagued with off-field dramas that have hampered on-field success might seem to hold water at first, when put up to scrutiny, that argument is filled with holes.

Gareth Widdop being injured is not ideal but the switching of Widdop and Corey Norman at fullback and five-eighth was not working anyway, and was a stupid decision to begin with. Jack De Belin being taken away is another unavoidable problem but Blake Lawrie has been a capable makeshift replacement.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Email
Those are the two long-term outs that have affected the side this year, along with a smattering of smaller injuries that should be expected during a season of full-contact sport.

The real problem lies deeper and is systemic within the Dragons administration. Mary has now been at the helm of the club for longer than any other coach in St George Illawarra Dragons history. The side has strike power across the park, which was reflected in the recent Origin series where six Dragons – the second most of any club – were chosen to represent their state.

So why is this stability and quality not coming together to form a competitive side?

It’s simple: the quality in the support and coaching staff simply aren’t up to scratch, and almost never have been at the Dragons. Mary might say all the right things at the press conferences but the fact is he is simply not getting the team to perform to their best at a consistent basis.

His rotation of the forwards has been downright confusing and his insistence on trying to turn Tyson Frizell into a middle forward for parts of the game is rage-inducing.

Paul-McGregor-755x515.jpg

(Photo by Matt Blyth/Getty Images)

Advertisement
The fact he continues to keep his job – and even got an extension – can be put down to the fact that he is ‘one of the good old boys’ and a club legend himself.

And it’s not just him. Mary’s little lambs include Ian Millward, director of rugby league pathways and former Illawarra Steelers junior, Dean Young, assistant coach and former Dragons player, Ben Hornby, assistant coach and Dragons captain during their 2010 premiership, and Mathew Head, assistant coach and former Dragons player.

It is not unusual for clubs to offer roles to former players, and by and large it is a good thing to provide for loyal servants of the team.

However, when these jobs are senior roles and the team is not performing, then questions have to be asked about the legitimacy of these positions and whether the right men have the job.

The Dragons are at an important point in their history. They have a good side and, with a few good decisions and recruitments, could be in a premiership window soon.

They have also recently secured their financial future, which means they can make a big push and establish a legacy that might one day be mentioned alongside the great sides of the 1950s and ’60s.

However, to do this, the Dragons need to be ruthless and treat their coaching staff like a business, rather than a pathway for past players.

Go after one of the great coaches and get him to bring in his own support staff.

Since 2001, the Dragons have only ever had one coach that wasn’t a past player, and he won them a premiership.

Imagine what they could do if they got another.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/07/15/why-mary-and-his-little-lambs-have-got-to-go/

Dragsters

First Grade
Why Mary and his little lambs have got to go

The Great One

Roar Rookie
13 hours ago

After the Dragons fell to another embarrassing home defeat with a near full-strength squad, serious questions need to be asked about the future of the club in the hands of coach Paul McGregor.

While the excuse that this season has been plagued with off-field dramas that have hampered on-field success might seem to hold water at first, when put up to scrutiny, that argument is filled with holes.

Gareth Widdop being injured is not ideal but the switching of Widdop and Corey Norman at fullback and five-eighth was not working anyway, and was a stupid decision to begin with. Jack De Belin being taken away is another unavoidable problem but Blake Lawrie has been a capable makeshift replacement.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Email
Those are the two long-term outs that have affected the side this year, along with a smattering of smaller injuries that should be expected during a season of full-contact sport.

The real problem lies deeper and is systemic within the Dragons administration. Mary has now been at the helm of the club for longer than any other coach in St George Illawarra Dragons history. The side has strike power across the park, which was reflected in the recent Origin series where six Dragons – the second most of any club – were chosen to represent their state.

So why is this stability and quality not coming together to form a competitive side?

It’s simple: the quality in the support and coaching staff simply aren’t up to scratch, and almost never have been at the Dragons. Mary might say all the right things at the press conferences but the fact is he is simply not getting the team to perform to their best at a consistent basis.

His rotation of the forwards has been downright confusing and his insistence on trying to turn Tyson Frizell into a middle forward for parts of the game is rage-inducing.

Paul-McGregor-755x515.jpg

(Photo by Matt Blyth/Getty Images)

Advertisement
The fact he continues to keep his job – and even got an extension – can be put down to the fact that he is ‘one of the good old boys’ and a club legend himself.

And it’s not just him. Mary’s little lambs include Ian Millward, director of rugby league pathways and former Illawarra Steelers junior, Dean Young, assistant coach and former Dragons player, Ben Hornby, assistant coach and Dragons captain during their 2010 premiership, and Mathew Head, assistant coach and former Dragons player.

It is not unusual for clubs to offer roles to former players, and by and large it is a good thing to provide for loyal servants of the team.

However, when these jobs are senior roles and the team is not performing, then questions have to be asked about the legitimacy of these positions and whether the right men have the job.

The Dragons are at an important point in their history. They have a good side and, with a few good decisions and recruitments, could be in a premiership window soon.

They have also recently secured their financial future, which means they can make a big push and establish a legacy that might one day be mentioned alongside the great sides of the 1950s and ’60s.

However, to do this, the Dragons need to be ruthless and treat their coaching staff like a business, rather than a pathway for past players.

Go after one of the great coaches and get him to bring in his own support staff.

Since 2001, the Dragons have only ever had one coach that wasn’t a past player, and he won them a premiership.

Imagine what they could do if they got another.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/07/15/why-mary-and-his-little-lambs-have-got-to-go/

Without doubt the best article I have ever read from that mob.

Just the truth...

Collectively if they had an ounce of integrity they would all hand in their resignations.

But with the delusional one at the helm and a board that treats the club and fans with disdain, I can’t see things changing without us decimating the Leagues Club board at election time.

getsmarty

Immortal
160 students lace up for St George gala day
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Mon 15 Jul 2019, 02:28 PM

A wet and gloomy day couldn’t dampen the spirits of over 160 students from across the St George area who laced up their boots and took part in the All Schools Rugby League Gala Day.

Many of the boys and girls who attended the day had never played Rugby League before and got their first taste of the sport. Safely run behind the NRL’s Safe Play rules and under the guidance of qualified referees, the six schools which attended had an enjoyable day.

The St George Illawarra Dragons have been actively involved with promoting healthy lifestyles at schools in the region, implementing the ‘Best you can be’ program, League Stars and tackle clinics as well as others.

Brighton-Le-Sands public school teacher Julie Bernhardt took time out from watching her team from the sidelines to urge other schools to make the most of the opportunity.

“The kids here today are from all different backgrounds and all different academic standards, and they’re just out there having fun,” she said.

“The more opportunities we can give kids the better, and coming along to days like this at minimal costs to the schools is just an opportunity all schools should be taking up.”

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/07/15/160-students-lace-up-for-st-george-gala-day/

getsmarty

Immortal
Jack de Belin’s lawyers launch renewed attack on NRL ahead of court
Lawyers for stood down NRL star Jack de Belin have lashed out at the league’s image, suggesting they “encourage alcohol consumption”, among other things.

news.com.auJuly 17, 20194:30pm
NRL player Jack de Belin facing two fresh sexual assault charges
Jack de Belin’s lawyers have prepared a 30-page outline to appeal the Federal Court’s decision to support the NRL’s controversial no-fault stand-down policy.

The St. George Illawarra forward’s fight for his rugby league career will continue when he returns to court on Monday in an attempt to overturn Justice Melissa Perry’s original ruling.

His lawyers claim the NRL failed to provide evidence that existing sponsors threatened to pull out because of a player being charged with a criminal offence.

They have also suggested the governing body could have decreased the amount of alcohol advertising in an attempt to address their ‘Summer of Hell’.

Removing de Belin from the NRL player marketing fund, banning him from representative games and promotional events were other alternatives listed.

“If the Respondents wanted to take action connected with curbing player behaviour and addressing cultural issues,” part of the outline began. “They might, for example, have taken steps such as reducing the prevalence with which they encourage alcohol consumption.

“Particularly given, as (NRL chief executive) Greenberg accepted, the role of alcohol in many off-field player issues including violence against women.”

21c658a79e713f93b1cfc0a5f68a617f

ARL Chairman Peter Beattie and NRL CEO Todd Greenberg have come under fire.Source:News Corp Australia

De Belin’s camp also argue the NRL failed to prove that the public would believe the game condoned violence against women if it had not banned de Belin.

They believe only about 50 of the 528 pages of emails from fans complaining about player misbehaviour even mentioned de Belin by name.

“And many of them were supportive of Mr de Belin, pointing to his presumption of innocence,” the outline read.

“The primary judge should have found that the Respondents did not establish an alienation of fans who would stop following the game.

“Or there was a risk of that occurring absent Mr de Belin being stood down, or that public opinion was in favour of standing him down.”

De Belin’s camp also questioned the inconsistencies in penalties between the automatic stand-down policy, and their discretionary decisions.

The St George Illawarra star is believed to have been refused the right to appeal, compared to Manly star Dylan Walker and Penrith utility Tyrone May. The latter two are understood to have been stood down under Greenberg’s discretionary powers earlier this year.

However Walker was later reinstated after being found not guilty of domestic violence charges in May.

—AAP

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/j...t/news-story/44e4f01f4fbadf60d6bf2f89f5c6d875

rednwhites

Juniors
Dragons blame de Belin for slump – and are close to breaking point
Danny Weidler
July 20, 2019 — 10.00pm
  • Send via Email

Privately, the Dragons say Jack de Belin is the anchor that is weighing down their season. And they are close to breaking point.

Officials from the joint-venture club have already been to the NRL to discuss how the financial commitment to de Belin is unfair. They were told to go away. The Dragons will pay him $600,000 for this season and the same next year, although they did get salary-cap relief for a replacement.

DRAGONS
'Give it to me, but not my players,' McGregor tells Dragons fans
De Belin is doing what he is allowed and entitled to do under the NRL’s ‘‘no-fault’’ stand-down policy: train with the team. He is intent on staying fit, and being around the team is good for him.

But many at the club would prefer the players weren’t getting a daily reminder of the star player who is not available for them.

It’s a tough situation.

De Belin has already made it very clear through his legal challenges to the NRL’s stand-down policy that he believes he is innocent. He is already about $500,000 in debt as a result of the failed legal bids.

He earns $600,000 a year. He has just become a dad. It’s my understanding the club has reached out to de Belin, his family and his agent to discuss the way forward to ensure he has money to support his family.

704d1f9d031f8f058a1053fc18a62146b6302542

No game time: De Belin trains with the Dragons at WIN Stadium.CREDIT:ANNA WARR

To make matters worse, de Belin will be a free agent in a couple of months as his deal expires at the end of 2020. Unsurprisingly, he is not a hot property on the market.

His latest legal challenge to the Federal Court’s ruling against him is believed to be on a no-win-no-fee basis.

The club wants to discuss the reality of his situation. A loss in the courts will obviously be soul-destroying for de Belin and the club. But they are also bracing themselves for a win by de Belin in the courts. That will result in further court action: de Belin will launch defamation action on many fronts and you can anticipate a bigger case against the NRL.

URL LINK: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/dr...-close-to-breaking-point-20190720-p5294l.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts