What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
Millward dishes on Wigan and Hull FC
Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward has temporarily traded in his recruitment hat to talk about the Wigan Warriors' Super League clash against Hull FC at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on February 10. Having previously coached four Super League clubs, Millward is Wollongong's source of knowledge regarding the competition and its first ever game outside of the Northern Hemisphere.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/01/17/millward-on-best-of-both-worlds/

getsmarty

Immortal
Why cashed-up Dragons half Ben Hunt won’t baulk Wayne Bennett hoodoo
NRL Premiership
MTgxMjAxODV8Y3hvLmJ8aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWRpYS5mb3hzcG9ydHMuY29tLmF1L2FydGljbGUvaGVhZHNob3RzL3NpbW9uX2JydW5zZG9uLmpwZ3wxODEyMDE4NQ==

MTgxMjAxODV8Y3hvLmJ8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvMzRkYmFlNTYwYmY2NTJkMzBmZTM1MWVkZGQ5NDg2ZGV8MTgxMjAxODU=

Coach Wayne Bennett and Ben Hunt at training.Source: AAP
BEN Hunt says he’s ready to field the pressure and scrutiny that comes with being the NRL’s newest million-dollar man in one of rugby league’s most parochial heartlands.

Hunt’s five-year $6 million contract with the Dragons is one of the richest deals ever seen in the game, and with the whopping pay cheque will come plenty of expectation.

Not least of all from the devout Red V supporters who have endured a rollercoaster seven years since Wayne Bennett led the club to a title in 2010.

A number of players have cycled through the No.7 jumper since that grand final, but Hunt has been flown down from Brisbane to make the jersey his own.

But 187 games in league-mad Brisbane has prepared him for the weight that is about to be dumped on his shoulders.

“I think that’s something that’s always come with me, being the halfback for the Broncos — a one-club town — there’s always a lot of pressure on the Broncos up there and players that play in the halves,” Hunt told media on Thursday.

MTgxMjAxODV8Y3hvLmJ8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvYjBlNWUzOTg5ZDVhNWJlOWRlM2YzYTEyMzQxMjFiM2N8MTgxMjAxODU=

Ben Hunt of the Broncos makes a break.Source: Getty Images
“I think I’ve learnt to cop it and move on now.

“That’s what the Dragons have signed me for, they want me to come here and be a great player for their team and lead from the front along with Gareth (Widdop).

“That’s my plan, to come here and hit the ground running from day one.”

Hunt had arguably his best season in 2015 when he led the Broncos to a grand final, only to fall to North Queensland at the final hurdle.

His 2017 campaign was not so rosy, being dumped to reserve grade midway through the season and then being bounced between halfback, hooker and the bench by coach Wayne Bennett.

He thrived at hooker, though, and the case was being made for Hunt to make a permanent move to the No.9 jumper.

MTgxMjAxODV8Y3hvLmJ8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvZTI2YjIwMjUyYjliOWE3ZGY2YjRjZmE2ZDcwZTM1YTB8MTgxMjAxODU=

Matt Dufty celebrates scoring a try with Gareth Widdop.Source: News Corp Australia
But he revealed Dragons coach Paul McGregor has guaranteed him the No.7, where he’ll slot in alongside five-eighth Gareth Widdop.

One position that’s yet to be determined is fullback.

It appears to be a race in two between young gun Matt Dufty and the more experienced utility player Kurt Mann. Although the likes of Zac Lomax are making McGregor’s decision a headache.

Hunt may have spilled the beans when he revealed Dufty is leading the race to the No.1.

Having developed a lethal right-edge combination with Broncos captain Darius Boyd over the years, Hunt is working closely with the Dragons hopefuls in an effort to add another dimension to the Red V attack.

“I’ve been doing a little bit of work, obviously they’ve got some good young talent here,” Hunt said of the fullbacks.

“Duff (Dufty) has probably got his nose in front at the moment, he played a bit there last year.

MTgxMjAxODV8Y3hvLmJ8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvNzFkOTg1MTRlMTgxYmJiN2VhNGIzOTNmNjgxNzk4MzF8MTgxMjAxODU=

Australian player Ben Hunt (centre) is seen during training.Source: AAP
“He’s an exciting young player, he’s still got a lot to learn, but it’s definitely exciting. He’s got a lot of speed and puts on some good plays.”

Hunt has never played against the Broncos in the NRL but he won’t have to wait long to face his former teammates on the field.

The Dragons open the 2018 NRL season against Brisbane on March 8.

The banter has already started between Hunt and his mates up north.

“There will be a few (text messages) ... there’s been a few already and it’s only pre-season,” Hunt laughed.

“There will be a few that week, the boys will be throwing a bit of banter my way.

“It’s going to be a strange feeling. It’s a strange feeling having red and white on to be honest.

“I’m going to try to take it all in.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...o/news-story/de208f272800318963801ac6b30a96a0

Drag Queen

Bench
Millward dishes on Wigan and Hull FC
Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward has temporarily traded in his recruitment hat to talk about the Wigan Warriors' Super League clash against Hull FC at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on February 10. Having previously coached four Super League clubs, Millward is Wollongong's source of knowledge regarding the competition and its first ever game outside of the Northern Hemisphere.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/01/17/millward-on-best-of-both-worlds/
I'll be going for Wigan mate. Hull FC lost to Hull KR albeit both were playing with limited numbers of their first grade team members. Quinlan was instrumental in every try for the Rovers. Little fella is going great guns over there. So many ex -Dragons young guns doing well, Qunny, hopefully Hutch for Leigh, Runciman for Widness, Mata'utia for Leigh. Personally the weather is shit but our ex-players are making a decent living which is great. Now I need to pour another wine :D

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
hunt_dragons-training.jpg

NRL NEWS

Ben Hunt eyes more rep footy and success at Dragons
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 18 Jan 2018, 05:01 PM

Hunt aims to lead Dragons

St George Illawarra Dragons star recruit Ben Hunt aims to prove himself as one of the top NRL halfbacks this season but he believes he has done enough at representative level to still be considered as Cameron Smith's backup for Queensland and Australia.

Hunt, who began training with the Dragons last week, played the utility role for the Maroons in the third State of Origin match of last year's series and was a member of the World Cup-winning Kangaroos squad after being chosen as cover for Smith in the hooking role.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor assured Hunt as recently as last week that he would be wearing the No.7 jersey after finishing his tenure with Brisbane as hooker but the 27-year-old is happy to continue playing deputy to Smith at Origin and Test level.

"I think the rep coaches have seen now that I can do that if they need me to," Hunt said in his first media interview since arriving at the Dragons.

"Personally, last year was a bit of a rollercoaster for me but getting the opportunity to play some representative footy was a highlight of the year and something I really enjoyed.

"I always wanted to be a No.7 but if I get the opportunity to play utility or any other position I will do the best I can."

I think we have got the squad to be in the finals so anything less than that is going to be a disappointment.

Ben Hunt
After signing his five-year, $6 million deal with the Dragons last January, Hunt admits he kept a close eye on the team and was impressed by what he saw.

However a top-line halfback to partner captain Gareth Widdop at the scrumbase has been the missing piece in the jigsaw for McGregor and Hunt is aware of the expectation on him to perform immediately.

"It is what the Dragons have signed me for so I want to come here and be a great player for their team and really lead from the front, along with Gareth," Hunt said. "That is what my plan is, to really hit the ground running from day one.

"The Broncos are a one-town team and there is always a lot of pressure on the players up there, and the players who play in the halves, so I have learned to cope with it."

He also had no hesitation in outlining the Dragons' ambitions for this season, saying: "I think we have got the squad to be in the finals so anything less than that is going to be a disappointment".

Besides Widdop, who was arguably the best player at the World Cup with England, Hunt is excited about playing behind a forward pack which includes James Graham, Paul Vaughan, Tyson Frizell, Tariq Sims and Jack De Belin.

"I am usually not one to watch a lot of footy but I found myself watching nearly every game of theirs last year and I was pretty excited about what I saw, to be honest," Hunt said.

"They have got a great forward pack and some good young players coming through so I am looking forward to playing with them. Getting James in is going to be a big one. It is a reasonably young forward pack and just bringing him in, with his experience, is going to help those guys."

While Hunt doesn't yet know whether he will play in the February 17 pre-season clash with Challenge Cup winners Hull FC, who are playing Wigan in a Super League fixture at WIN Stadium a week earlier, he indicated that Matt Dufty would get first shot at the vacant No.1 jersey.

"Obviously they have got some good young talent here and Duft has got his nose in front at the moment, he played a bit there last year," Hunt said.

"He is an exciting young player, he has still got a bit to learn but it is definitely exciting being out there training with him. He has got some speed and he can put on some good plays."

As for the opening game of the season against the Broncos at Jubilee Oval on Thursday, March 8, Hunt said he was already receiving messages from his former team-mates.

"The boys have been throwing a bit of banter around. There have been a few [messages] since pre-season started so there will be a few that week," he said.

"It is going to be a strange feeling, it is just a strange feeling wearing red and white to be honest."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/18/ben-hunt-eyes-more-rep-footy-and-success-at-dragons/

getsmarty

Immortal
Paul Vaughan’s shock admission over State of Origin snub
NRL Premiership
MTgxMjAxODIzfGN4by5jfGh0dHBzOi8vbWVkaWEuZm94c3BvcnRzLmNvbS5hdS9hcnRpY2xlL2hlYWRzaG90cy9zaW1vbl9icnVuc2Rvbi5qcGd8MTgxMjAxODIz

MTgxMjAxODIzfGN4by5jfGh0dHBzOi8vY2RuLm5ld3NhcGkuY29tLmF1L2ltYWdlL3YxL2M1MmE1YTBhNjc1NDQwNTkxMmY0YWFmMGMwOTg0YzYxfDE4MTIwMTgyMw==

Italy's Paul Vaughan in action at the World Cup.Source: News Corp Australia
DRAGONS wrecking ball Paul Vaughan has made a shock admission regarding his snub from the NSW State of Origin side last year.

The St George Illawarra prop has conceded he wasn’t ready to wear the coveted Blues jersey, and thinks his snubbing could in fact benefit his career long-term.

His omission from the Origin team was met with anger and bewilderment from many rugby league punters.

His form for the Red V over the early stages of the season had helped the club to the top of the NRL ladder, and some thought him a shoo-in for an Origin debut.

And while it may have stung a little at the time, the decision to leave him out of NSW’s plans in 2017 may in fact have improved his chances of being selected in 2018.

And a Blues call-up is what’s driving the big prop through pre-season.

“I think it makes me want to strive to do better things in my career ... if I was put in that position last year I’m not sure I was ready (to play Origin),” Vaughan said.

MTgxMjAxODIzfGN4by5jfGh0dHBzOi8vY2RuLm5ld3NhcGkuY29tLmF1L2ltYWdlL3YxLzk5YzE0YjJmZmExY2IxYzFmZWMwNTliZjM3NzhlNTRjfDE4MTIwMTgyMw==

St George Illawarra forward Paul Vaughan is tackled.Source: News Corp Australia
“I can’t go backwards now, I’ve sort of got to take the next step in my career of playing some good strong footy and hopefully some higher honours down the track.

“If I can play the sort of footy I was playing last year I think I’m probably more than capable of stepping up.

“I think I knew I was going in the right direction and it was achievable for me, to think that I can play rep footy.

“It’s an achievable goal for me, it’s not out of the question.”

He was so close last year. If Vaughan can maintain his 2017 form over the start of the 2018 NRL season surely new Blues coach Brad Fittler won’t be able to ignore him.

And Vaughan has a little extra help this time around in grabbing the elusive NSW jersey.

Sitting on the other side of the Dragons ruck will be a man who’s no stranger to playing on the big stage — James Graham.

The Red V recruit will pack down with Vaughan in a potent St George Illawarra front row, and the latter will be spending as much time as he can with his new teammate in an effort to fill the gaps in his own game.

MTgxMjAxODIzfGN4by5jfGh0dHBzOi8vY2RuLm5ld3NhcGkuY29tLmF1L2ltYWdlL3YxL2I5NjJiZDRlYzVmZDQ5NzdkNTJmMzg4MjYzYjhiMjIzfDE4MTIwMTgyMw==

Paul Vaughan in action for Italy at the World Cup.Source: News Corp Australia
“I was stoked to hear he was coming to the club,” Vaughan said of Graham.

“The bits of my game I need to improve is everything he does well. Those one-percenters, working really hard off the ball, talking a lot ... if I can implement that into my game I think I can improve a lot and improve just by playing with him.

“He’s just a competitor. Everything he does is a million miles an hour.

“He’s very professional. Obviously being at the top of the game for a long time, playing in numerous grand finals, he knows what he’s doing.

“You want to pick his brain, you want to find out how to stay in the game. The longevity of his career is pretty special.

“I want to take the best out of his game and put it in mine.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...b/news-story/6702da668de892e53b482079f62b08e6

getsmarty

Immortal
vaughanp-17031970.jpg

NRL NEWS

From NSW Cup to the NSW Blues: Vaughan's 2018 ambition
Author
Timestamp
Fri 19 Jan 2018, 11:55 AM

Paul Vaughan readily admits playing State of Origin wasn't even on his radar 12 months ago but after establishing himself as one of the NRL's best props in his first season with the St George Illawarra Dragons he now has his sights firmly on NSW selection.

Vaughan, who joined the Dragons last season after falling out of favour at the Canberra Raiders, was focused on reviving his NRL career and said Origin had never figured in his thoughts until later in the year.

After being chosen in the Prime Minister's XIII to play Papua New Guinea last September, Vaughan narrowly missed out on selection in Australia's World Cup squad and was a key member of the Italy team.

It was a huge turnaround for a player who had been demoted to Canberra's feeder club, Mounties, during the 2016 season before being released by the Raiders with a year to run on his contract.

vaughanp-17111051rc.jpg

Paul Vaughan in action for Italy at the 2017 World Cup. :copyright:Robb Cox/NRL Photos
Now Vaughan is aiming to continue his rise from NSW Cup to the NSW Origin team.

"Last year was good for me but I needed that year to build for my career because things went a bit south in Canberra," Vaughan said. "Now I am back up to where I know I can be so if I am playing good football I want to make that step up.

"I think it was important for me to start the year off good last year, obviously coming to a new club and wanting to earn the respect of the boys.

"I can't go backwards. I have to take another step in my career, play some good strong footy and hopefully there will be some higher honours down the track. If I can play the sort of footy I was last year I think I am more than capable of stepping up to that level."

While Vaughan was touted for Blues selection last year, the Raiders junior makes the stunning admission that he may not have been prepared to handle the rigours of Origin.

"If I was put in that position last year I am not sure if I was ready," Vaughan said. "I think last year was just more about trying to play good footy and trying to cement a starting spot.

"I knew that I was going in the right direction and I think that showed that it was achievable for me to play rep football.

"It is just having more confidence in myself, knowing that I played some great football last year. It made me want to strive to do better things in my career."

Hopefully there will be some higher honours down the track ... I think I am more than capable of stepping up to that level.

The arrival of England prop James Graham from Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs has given Vaughan even greater inspiration to continue building his game.

Vaughan said he had admired Graham before he joined the Dragons and considered him a role model.

"I can build on my game just by playing with him and following his actions and his leadership," Vaughan said. "Everything he does well, like the one-percenters, working really hard off the ball, talking a lot … if I can implement that into my game I think I will improve a lot.

"He is just a competitor, everything that he does is a million miles an hour, he is very professional and obviously being at the top of the game for a long time, he knows what he is doing. He is a veteran of the front row so I am going to be picking his brain."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/19/from-nsw-cup-to-the-nsw-blues-vaughans-2018-ambition/

getsmarty

Immortal
The best and worst defensive centres in the NRL
Author
Chris Kennedy & Dan Walsh & Joel Gould
Timestamp
Fri 19 Jan 2018, 01:00 PM

It is widely accepted that centre is the toughest place to defend on the field, so who were the best and worst defensive centres in the NRL in 2017 and how did they impact their team's fortunes?

We delved deep into NRL.com stats – looking only at players who played at least five games at centre in 2017 and only including regular-season (i.e. non-finals) matches – to look for the answer.

A tough job

While middle defenders are faced with the biggest defensive workloads and the biggest bodies to tackle, a centre faces the toughest decisions. When to slide, when to jam in, how to position themselves to shut down the play without leaving their winger isolated, when to drop back to try and have a chance at defending an attacking kick without leaving too big a gap in the line – these are all decisions centres regularly have to make in a fraction of a second.

They also need to tackle big, wide-running back-rowers as often as fleet-footed wingers and fullbacks who exhibit blinding speed and footwork.

For this analysis, instead of focusing on the regular defensive bread-and-butter stat of tackles made versus tackles missed, we have chosen to look at 'try causes'. This refers to the number of times a centre had a chance to stop a try and didn't.

This could be due to a variety of reasons including defensive misreads or missed tackles that lead to tries, getting outjumped to an attacking kick, or getting caught out of position.

It's not always just the centre's fault

It is important to note that not all try causes are equal. Sometimes a centre has dropped the ball cold on his own line allowing a free try to the opposition, or come rushing out of an otherwise set defensive line to leave a yawning gap for opponents to stroll through. Other times a centre earns a try cause for a play where there was a complete breakdown through the middle of the field and the poor old centre wasn't quite able to save his teammates' blushes. Either still goes down as a '1' in the try cause column.

It's also important to note that centres who play in defensively sound teams like Melbourne, Cronulla, Brisbane and the Roosters are likely to face fewer tough decisions and broken play runners than the centres in teams with leaky middle defence and who consequently may end up higher on the try-cause list than they otherwise would have.

So who is the best?

With all that said, here at the best five centres by try causes per game in 2017.

graphic_centre-stats_top5.jpg

Given premiers Melbourne's near-impenetrable defence last season there's no surprise to see their two top-string centres at the top of this list. Chambers is a Kangaroos and Origin star and does a stellar job marshalling the Storm's right edge but the real story here is young Curtis Scott. The budding Blues back played 10 games at left centre despite a huge preference for his long-term junior position of right centre. While Cheyse Blair conceded 10 tries in 13 games (0.77 per game) before his injury, his young replacement actually did far better defending in the same system than his more experienced teammate.

"[Scott] was a right-side centre, but with Will here he had to become a left centre, and he did that really, really well," Storm football director Frank Ponissi told NRL.com.

"That might have been a little bit behind any frustrations he experienced [while pushing for a first-grade spot]; he had such a preference for right centre, he played all his junior footy there. But with Will here he had to change over and he's done it quite quickly.

"[His defensive record] doesn't surprise me at all; he works very hard at it."

Both Cowboys centres also recorded outstanding numbers with both Linnett and Justin O'Neill (seven try causes in 17 games at 0.41 per game) in the NRL's top seven defensive centres. In a struggling Bulldogs team, noted defender Josh Morris (12 in 24 games at 0.50 per game and a league-high four try saves) was a standout.

And who needs work?

Unsurprisingly, centres who played for clubs that conceded a lot of tries and finished outside the top eight are concentrated near the top of this list.

graphic_centre-stats_bottom5.jpg

Alarmingly for Wests Tigers coach Ivan Cleary, three of the top five are Tigers players. With their increased depth in the outside backs in 2017, it may mean the end of back-rower Michael Chee-Kam's stint filling in in the centres.

While the numbers also don't look favourable for Titan Dale Copley, on viewing those 25 try causes it's fair to say there were a significant number of those in which he was far from the only culprit. Like Cleary, Titans coach Garth Brennan has a few headaches to deal with – Copley's centre partner Konrad Hurrell had 14 try causes in 16 games at 0.88 per game and new centre recruit Brenko Lee was responsible for 13 try causes in 18 games at Canterbury last season.

"It is no surprise that we were a poor defensive team; part of that is the edge decisions that my edge and both edges of our team were making," Copley told NRL.com.

"Some was about stuff happening inside of us where we were caught short, and some was our own fault.

"But we were down the bottom as a defensive side for a reason. There is no one player [at fault]. It is a team effort. But with a new coach, a new defensive system, new players in key positions and having a full pre-season with the guys we are going to play with I am sure it can be turned around.

"Defence has been a focus in the pre-season because left, right, middle and the guys coming off the bench … we weren't good enough last year. I am sure you could find many stats to back that up."

Among the others who need to brush up a little are Raider Joey Leilua (21 in 24 games at 0.88 per game) and Manly rookie Brian Kelly (20 in 22 at 0.91) who were actually second and third after Copley in terms of most total try causes for the season.

Full table in order of fewest try causes per game to most try causes:

Rank Name 2017 club Matches at centre Try causes Average try causes
1 Will Chambers Storm 20 2 0.10
2 Curtis Scott Storm 10 2 0.20
3 Mitch Aubusson Roosters 10 2 0.20
4 Kurt Mann Dragons 7 2 0.29
5 Kane Linnett Cowboys 23 9 0.39
6 Ryan Matterson Roosters 5 2 0.40
7 Justin O'Neill Cowboys 17 7 0.41
8 Brad Takairangi Eels 18 8 0.44
9 Esan Marsters Wests Tigers 11 5 0.45
10 Josh Morris Bulldogs 24 12 0.50
11 Jack Bird Sharks 16 8 0.50
12 Tim Lafai Bulldogs 24 13 0.54
13 Michael Jennings Eels 21 12 0.57
14 Ricky Leutele Sharks 24 14 0.58
15 Waqa Blake Panthers 20 12 0.60
16 Dylan Walker Sea Eagles 24 15 0.63
17 Jarrod Croker Raiders 22 14 0.64
18 Tautau Moga Broncos 24 16 0.67
19 Kurt Capewell Sharks 9 6 0.67
20 Chase Stanley Bulldogs 6 4 0.67
21 Hymel Hunt Rabbitohs 10 7 0.70
22 Brenko Lee Bulldogs 18 13 0.72
23 Joseph Manu Roosters 15 11 0.73
24 Peter Mata'utia Knights 23 17 0.74
25 Kirisome Auva'a Eels 8 6 0.75
26 Blake Ayshford Warriors 17 13 0.76
27 Cheyse Blair Storm 13 10 0.77
28 James Roberts Broncos 23 18 0.78
29 Tyrone Peachey Panthers 15 12 0.80
30 Roberts Jennings Rabbitohs 11 9 0.82
31 David Fusitua Warriors 12 10 0.83
32 Joey Leilua Raiders 24 21 0.88
33 Konrad Hurrell Titans 16 14 0.88
34 Bryson Goodwin Rabbitohs 8 7 0.88
35 Javid Bowen Cowboys 8 7 0.88
36 Solomone Kata Warriors 19 17 0.89
37 Brian Kelly Sea Eagles 22 20 0.91
38 Euan Aitken Dragons 12 11 0.92
39 Dane Gagai Knights 16 15 0.94
40 Latrell Mitchell Roosters 14 14 1.00
41 Kevin Naiqama Wests Tigers 13 13 1.00
42 Dean Whare Panthers 10 10 1.00
43 Tyrell Fuimaono Rabbitohs 7 7 1.00
44 Siosifa Talakai Rabbitohs 7 7 1.00
45 Joe Wardle Knights 6 6 1.00
46 Aaron Gray Rabbitohs 5 5 1.00
47 Young Tonumaipea Storm 5 5 1.00
48 Jarryd Hayne Titans 5 5 1.00
49 Michael Chee-Kam Wests Tigers 9 11 1.22
50 Moses Suli Wests Tigers 9 12 1.33
51 Dale Copley Titans 16 25 1.56

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/19/the-best-and-worst-defensive-centres-in-the-nrl/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons prop eyeing elusive Blues jumper in 2018
Local Sport
r0_0_5184_3491_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

HIGHER BAR: Dragons prop Paul Vaughan has set his sights on higher rep honours in 2018. Picture: Robert Peet

POWERHOUSE Dragons prop Paul Vaughan has set his sights on the rep jumpers many thought he was unlucky not to claim in a career-best 2017 season.

Deemed surplus to requirements after four years in Canberra, Vaughan was the form front-rower of the competition over the first half of the season, forcing himself into the NSW selection frame.

The four-time Country representative was overlooked by Blues selectors but is confident he can make a compelling case, having signed a new deal with the Dragons until the end of 2021.

“If I can play the sort of footy I was last year I think I’m more than capable of stepping up,” Vaughan said.

“Last year was good for my career and if I can back that up, I’m more than confident I can make that step up with that year under my belt.

“Last year was obviously a great year for me personally and I knew I was going in the right direction and that [rep footy] it was achievable for me.

“It’s not out of the question, it’s just more about having confidence in yourself that you can play great football at a consistent level.

“Everything happens for a reason so I’ll use that to fuel me for this year. It’s always good to have something to work towards.”

Should he break into the higher rep arena this year there’s plenty who’ll consider it overdue, but the 26-year-old said he didn’t feel hard done by despite a host of punters pushing his case.

“I’m not sure if I was ready last year had I been put in that position,” Vaughan said.

“It was a good year for me, but I needed that year to build for my career because it went a little bit south in Canberra.

“I think I was probably at my peak fitness last year for my first year with Saints after a hard preseason and I think that translated to the field where I was playing some pretty good footy.

“It was important for me to start the year off well last year coming to a new club and earning the respect off the boys and prove myself all over again.

“Now I feel like I’m back up where I know I can be so, if I’m playing good football, I’ll make that step up.

“I can’t go backwards this year. I’ve got to take another step in my career, keep playing some good footy and hopefully [earn] some higher honours down the track.”

While regular front-row partner Russell Packer has departed the club, Vaughan believes the addition of veteran England Test prop James Graham will help him take his game to the next level.

“I was stoked to hear he was going to come to the club,” Vaughan said.

‘He’s just a competitor, he does everything at a million miles an hour. He’s very professional, he’s been at the top of the game for a long time.

“A lot of things I feel I need to improve in my game are all things he does really well. I can build on my game just by playing with him and following his actions.

“I’m going to be picking his brain and trying to take the best things out of his game and putting them in mine.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5176548/vaughan-eyes-elusive-blues-jumper-in-2018/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
January 19 2018 - 10:33AM
The problem with being St George Illawarra Dragons' main man
r0_0_5184_2196_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Great expectation: Ben Hunt (left) at Dragons training at WIN Stadium this week. Picture: Robert Peet

Welcome to Wollongong, Ben.

Good to have you on board. Just a cautionary word if I may, before we move into the NRL season ahead.

You see, as much as you’re used to expectation in Brisbane, the definition of it is a little different down here.

Because as much as the Broncos are experiencing their biggest premiership drought in the club’s history, St George Illawarra do pressure, failure, heartache better than most.

It wasn’t meant to be this way these days.

They fixed it all in 2010, when you’re old teammate Darius Boyd won the Clive Churchill Medal and the understated Ben Hornby led a premiership crusade.

But, you see, he wasn’t quite the marquee type, Hornby.

His legacy is all quiet determination, as you’re no doubt aware, a kind of low-key version of the great Darren Lockyer.

Unfortunately last season’s final-round disaster – and the club’s struggles in general since Wayne Bennett left town –has resulted in the funk of disappointment returning.

So while there’s plenty of faith in your ability – to steer the team around in combination with Gareth Widdop, which has the potential to be the club’s best ever NRL-era halves duo – it’s the expectation that creeps up on you.

Just ask Trent Barrett.

When Barrett left in 2006, after losing consecutive preliminary finals, the Dragons went on to use seven different halves combinations the following year.

Seven. That’s almost a different one every three games.

Remember Richie Williams?

We can all laugh about it now, but Braith Anasta struggled to see the funny side at the time.

So the post-Barrett era was a treacherous one for the Dragons, especially after Mark Gasnier's much-hyped move into the No.6 jersey was ruined by a pectoral tear.

Of course, Hornby and Jamie Soward righted all those NRL-era wrongs, but then the Dragons have never really recovered since.

It’s a topic this column has spent many words discussing since 2010.

So we know you experienced your own disappointment in the 2015 grand final, but maybe it’s the Broncos influence we need down here. After all, it worked with Bennett and Boyd.

As much as you’re here for the next six years, it’s not just about you.

The Dragons have won a premiership more recently than the Broncos and yet the default cultural position is stuck at the failure end of the scale.

Round 26 against the Bulldogs last year the most recent example.

As much as you’ll deflect and dismiss it inside the club ‘bubble’ at WIN Stadium, there’s already a growing impatience for success, even as you were unpacking your bags.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5177551/problem-with-being-dragons-main-man/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
January 19 2018 - 5:00PM
No cure-all for transfer chaos: Hunt
Dragons Den News
r0_0_5184_3533_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

TOUGH CALL: Big-name Dragons recruit Ben Hunt says he's yet to see a better transfer system than the current set-up. Picture: Robert Peet

HE’S just the latest in a long line of stars to determine their future in advance of their current contract and Dragons recruit Ben Hunt believes there is no one-size-fits-all solution to the player contract drama that seems to absorb more time and attention with each passing season.

Hunt agreed to a six-year $6 million deal to shift to the Dragons prior to the start of the 2017 season while fellow recruit James Graham was a late pick-up after being granted a release from the Bulldogs after round 26.

Hunt endured an up and down road in his final season with Brisbane after pledging his future elsewhere but said he was yet to see a better a alternative.

“It was a little bit strange at times,” Hunt said.

“I don’t really look into it too much. I’ve seen [the current system] work out well for some players and not so well for some other players.

“I don’t think you can ever get a perfect solution for it, you just have to work around different situations when they come up. I just put it on the back-burner and tried to concentrate on my last year and having some fun with the boys I’d played a lot of footy with.”

Hunt admits he did take more than a passing in the Dragons 2017 fortunes from afar.

“I watched quite a few games last year. I’m not normally one to watch a lot of footy but I found myself watching just about every [Dragons] game last year and I was pretty excited about what I saw,” he said.

“There’s a great forward pack here and some good young players coming through so I’m looking forward to it.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5176984/no-cure-all-for-transfer-chaos/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Langlands the game's best "all-round player'': Fulton
Author
Timestamp
Sun 21 Jan 2018, 03:12 PM

Fellow Immortal Bob Fulton has described the late Graeme Langlands as the best all-round player in the game’s history.

Fulton, one of the game's eight Immortals, played alongside Langlands and under him as captain-coach for the Australian team from 1968 until the last of the versatile St George legend's Test appearances in 1975.

While regarded as a great fullback who had always preferred to run the ball into opposition defences rather than kick it, there were many aspects to Langlands' game and he was considered so good that another position often had to be found for him in representative teams.

As a result, Langlands played 25 of his 45 appearances for Australia in the centres, one on the wing and another off the bench.

''I am quite comfortable in saying he was the best all-round player the game has ever had,'' Fulton told NRL.com after the death of Langlands, aged 76, in his sleep at a nursing home on Saturday night.

''When you start isolating the various aspects of an all-rounder, you are talking about individual brilliance.

''He was tough, he was a goal kicker, he was a general-play kicker, he could play centre, wing or fullback and he played all of those positions at international level, which not a lot of people could say about any other player in the game.

langlandsg-120930882.jpg

Rugby league immortal Graeme Langlands at the 2012 NRL grand final. :copyright:NRL Photos
''There would be plenty of debate about who is the best back and best forward but I am putting the label on ''Chang'' as the best allrounder I have ever seen, and I cover a fair amount of time in the game.''

Many believe Langlands' versatility controversially cost him a place in the Team of the Century chosen to mark the centenary of the game in Australia in 2008, but Fulton said there was no doubt he would have been a superstar in any era of the game.

''If you look through every generation there were players who other players liked playing with and in that particular period Chang was that sort of player,'' Fulton said.

“He was a leader and a real presence player. If a game had to be won he could do it any way. He could do it even with a tough run.

“He played at about 84kg, but under the present training structures and professionalism he would have been up to 95kg.”

Besides being a key member of the St George teams which continued the club’s dominance in the 1960s, with Langlands winning four grand finals alongside fellow Immortals Reg Gasnier and John Raper and halfback Billy Smith, he also played a significant role in establishing Australia as the leading Test nation.

Langlands first captained Australia in 1970 and led the team as captain or captain-coach on 15 occasions, becoming the first player to score more than 100 points for the Kangaroos as he led his team to victory in the deciding Test of the 1974 series against Great Britain at the SCG.

''If you could liken him to a song, it would be ‘I Did It My Way','' said Fulton, who was a regular room-mate of Langlands on tours with the Australia team.

''He did it his way and he made an unbelievable impact on the game in all areas – from a coaching point of view, from a playing point of view and from a captaincy point of view.

''He was a bloke who you had to get know, but once you did he was as loyal as all hell, and we were great mates.''

In recent months Langlands had battled dementia and alzheimers and was unable face court on charges of indecent dealing with a girl under 16 over allegations stemming back to the 1980s.

ARLC chairman John Grant, who played alongside Langlands at the 1972 World Cup, acknowledged that he ''wasn’t everyone's cup of tea'' but praised his leadership and understanding of the game.

''I met him when I was 22, I was the only Queenslander on the tour and Chang was the unquestioned leader,'' Grant said. ''He certainly didn’t go out of his way to please people but his football was just fantastic. It was outstanding and that is why he is an Immortal.''

Grant, who played on the wing, was near to Langlands when he was infamously denied a try which would have won the World Cup final against Great Britain because French officials didn’t believe it was possible for him to have been onside from halfback Dennis Ward's kick.

''When Ward put the kick up I was onside and Chang was behind me,'' Grant said. ''He must have got some message from Ward that he was going to put it up and Chang came past me like a steam train, dived over the line, caught the ball and scored the try.

''The referee said he couldn't have possibly done that but to this day that was a try and it could have turned the game. Great Britain won the game on a count back after extra time, which was the last time they won a World Cup.''

Langlands wasn't renowned for motivational speeches but Grant, who had remained in contact with him during his six years as ARLC chairman, said he led by actions both on and off the field in his role as Australia captain.

''We had a big night out in Perpignan and Harry Bath, the coach, was not very pleased so he got us all up at 7am to train and it was freezing cold and raining,'' Grant said. ''When we went down to the local oval, Bath just made us all run and Chang led the run for the whole time we ran.

''Again, it was just 'I'm going to do it, I am going to lead, I'm going to lead by example' and that is how he played the game. You could not help but admire how he was as a football player and how he was as a leader by example.

''His passing is really significant, his contribution to the game on the field is really significant, you need to understand the character to have an appreciation for him, but at the end of the day we have lost an Immortal and that is really sad.''

Ron Coote, who replaced Langlands as Kangaroos captain for the 1970 World Cup after he had been ruled out with a broken hand, described him as one of the toughest and best players he had played with or against.

''Myself and Bob McCarthy first played against him for the South Sydney Under 19s team in Wollongong in 1963. He was playing for Wollongong and you certainly see then that he was a very special player,'' said Coote, who is President of Men of League.

''He captained St George to a lot of success and was one of the all-time greats. He was so tough, he had a great sidestep and the speed he had and his agility to find a hole in the opposition defence just set him apart.''

His toughness and willingness to play through pain also led to another infamous moment, when Langlands – wearing white boots –was a mere passenger in the 1975 grand final, after a painkilling needle in his ankle hit a nerve.

''If he had been fit, everyone would have been wearing white boots 15 years earlier but the needle went in the wrong way and he couldn't feel anything in his leg,'' St George team-mate Steve Edge recalled of the 38-0 loss to Eastern Suburbs Roosters.

''We were in the game, it was only 5-0 at halftime and we were a bit unlucky not to be in front but afterwards everyone was down in the dumps. Having Chang in your team was like having an extra two players on the field, he was that good.''

Edge said Langlands would always be associated with the club for whom he played 227 matches in 14 seasons, and along with Smith was one of the last two surviving members of the great St George teams which won 11 consecutive premierships from 1956.

''One of the greatest things that ever happened to me was that I got to play with two of my heroes who I had watched growing up in Graeme Langlands and Billy Smith,'' Edge said.

''Opposition teams would kick the ball down the field and you'd say just watch the first two tacklers, there isn't a chance in the world of them getting him. He'd put on that big sidestep and away he would go.''

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/21/fulton-on-langlands-the-best-all-round-player-the-game-has-had/

getsmarty

Immortal
Get your name on the 2018 member wall
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Mon 22 Jan 2018, 01:00 PM

Calling all Dragons fans – become a St George Illawarra member by February 24 to ensure your name is listed on the 2018 member wall!

The wall lists all the faithful Red V Members who have signed up early to support the club, with it proudly displayed at home games and member events throughout the season.

By becoming a Red V Member you can belong, connect and commit to your club and become an integral part of the Dragons.

Here is what some of our Red V Members love about the program:

"I love my Red V Membership because it lets me feel like I'm part of the team. I have been a member for nine years and will continue to be in the future. I also love the merchandise discounts and feeling like I am contributing to the club the best way I can" – Ashley Allen.

"Red V is all about great people coming together to show our mutual love for the Dragons through the highs and lows" – Alex Suttie.

"I love that it allows the family to go to all games at a good price as well as get discounts on all our favourite gear" – Hayley Clarke.

Members' choice is back in 2018 too, plus we’ll mail your chosen item to you with your member card. You can choose between the member cap or the member beanie.

Or for those young at heart a kids pack with a kids member cap, drawstring bag, cape flag and stickers.

The Red V program continues to feature improvements based directly on feedback from members to deliver greater flexibility, increased value and an expanded loyalty program.

Exclusive member benefits remain the foundation of member investment, including the best value tickets, savings on merchandise, access to players, exclusive member events and exclusive benefit items together with all that is new in 2018.

There is a Red V Member package to suit everyone.

Visit marchwithus.com.au to find the package that suits you, and become a Red V Member today!

Belong, connect, commit.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/01/22/get-your-name-on-the-2018-member-wall/

getsmarty

Immortal
Ben has St George-Illawarra Dragons in the Hunt to find a magnificent seven
MICHAEL CARAYANNIS, The Sunday Telegraph
January 21, 2018 7:00am
Subscriber only
THERE’S been Lachlan Russell, Chris Sheppard and Keiran Kerr. For so long St George Illawarra’s No.7 jersey has been the side’s Achilles Heel. Even the most-capped halfback since 1999 was a makeshift one in skipper Ben Hornby.

Outside Hornby’s 160 games at halfback for the Dragons only Mat Head and Benji Marshall have managed to chalk up more than 50 games. Russell and Sheppard headline a list of one-game wonders in the role which also includes the likes of Chase Stanley, Albert Torrens and even Jack De Belin.

The Dragons have used 25 halfbacks in 18 years including Trent Barrett, Jason Hooper, Willie Peters and Brett Firman but the arrival of Ben Hunt on the club’s first million-dollar-a-season contract is expected to give the club the stability it has long craved.

afe966d178731def526d2781ebd89415

Million-dollar Dragon Ben Hunt is settling in nicely. Picture: Dylan Robinson
Hunt, 27, is under no illusions about the lofty expectations which are placed on his shoulders.

“The Dragons wanted me to come here to be a dominate half,” Hunt said. “I want to play a good consistent year the whole way through. At times during my career I’ve been a bit patchy and not playing consistent football.

“I want to play some more rep footy. That’s a big goal for me. We’ve got a team here to make the finals and play well in the finals. That’s where we need to be headed. They just missed out on the finals last year and we’ve got a better team now.”

Hunt’s arrival is certain to lift the pressure from Gareth Widdop’s shoulders. The Dragons have been unable to find a regular partner for Widdop in the halves since the skipper’s arrival from Melbourne in 2014. He and Marshall failed to jell while last season he starred despite essentially carrying the fortunes of the Dragons attack on his own.

572b9c4f4308d45d7c22c5330e1f58f8

A very sorry saga for St George-Illawarra.
“He had a lot of work on his shoulders last year and played excellent,” Hunt said. “I need to take some of the load off him so we can attack both sides of the field.

“He is one of the best halves in the competition. I’ve got to come here and play my game and compliment him as well. That’s what I need to work on.

“You spend time together but more so at training we need to do a lot of repetition to make sure we know how each other plays.”

Hunt had a rocky road before arriving at the Dragons this year. He was axed to Queensland Cup but shortly after found himself thriving into dummy half for the Broncos before going on to make his Origin debut and reclaim a Kangaroos jersey.

“It was a strange year,” Hunt said. “Playing that rep footy puts a spring in your step and makes you feel good about your footy. It gets me excited about this year.

c06c07e845de44aa792f6cfe912b3539

Even rugged forward Jack de Belin has a run in the No.7. Picture: Brett Costello
“I got dropped after we’d just got badly beaten in New Zealand. I knew I wasn’t playing great football but I knew I was coming back from my hamstring injury and I wasn’t feeling my best. Once I got a bit of footy under my belt I knew I would be right to go again.”

Hunt is adjusting to life away from Brisbane for the first time. He has moved into the Sutherland Shire and has joined the regular Sydneysiders car pool to training in Wollongong with Jason Nightingale and Tyson Frizell.

“I was nervous and excited,” Hunt said. “I felt like it was my first day of school. I was excited but I didn’t know what to expect. I barely knew anyone.

“Sydney is a little bit different, a little crazier. Driving around is busier. I’m enjoying it. Living in the Cronulla area and near the beach, it’s full of nice cafes.”

The Dragons will not have to wait long to see their marquee signing with Hunt hoping to line up against Hull in their opening trial on February 17.

“I’ve told Mary (coach Paul McGregor) I want to play as much as I can,” Hunt said. “Even if it’s not with Gareth I want to play so I get to know what the rest of the team is doing.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/b6444679ac944a3b887ee75060fb9ad9

getsmarty

Immortal
winyourspot_news_winner.jpg

MEMBERSHIP

Win a spot in the team photo winner announced
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Mon 22 Jan 2018, 03:00 PM

St George Illawarra are excited to announce the winner of our win a spot in the 2018 Dragons team photo promotion.

Over 11,000 Red V Members were entered into the draw to win the special prize and William Davis was drawn as the lucky winner earlier today.

10-year-old William holds a gold Wollongong Pass membership with his father Rhett, who have both been members for three years.

William will join the squad for the 2018 team photo later this week and take home a brand new 2018 Dragons jersey!

Not a member yet? Red V Membership program offers a range of flexible packages to suit everyone.

If you need help deciding which membership is best for you in 2018 go to www.marchwithus.com.au or contact our team on 1300DRAGON or redv@dragons.com.au

Join by February 24 to ensure place on the 2018 member wall. See details for the member wall here.

Belong, connect and commit by becoming a Red V Member in 2018.

Click here to become a Red V Member and march with us in 2018!

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/01/22/win-a-spot-in-the-team-photo-winner-announced/

getsmarty

Immortal
sailort-170531702.jpg

NRL NEWS

Sailor thrives on a famous legacy
Author
Joel Gould
Timestamp
Mon 22 Jan 2018, 05:35 PM

A famous surname will not be a burden to Tristan Sailor as he vows to keep embracing the expectation he has lived with, rather than be overwhelmed by it.

The versatile 19-year-old back is signed to the Dragons until the end of 2019, the club where his father Wendell finished his illustrious career.

The two are chalk and cheese on the footy field, with the silky-skilled Tristan keen to secure a career in the halves.

Tristan stands at 177cm and weighs 80kg. Big Dell is 191cm, and when he terrorised opponents in his playing days he weighed in at around 105kg.

One thing’s for sure though, Tristan won’t be weighed down by the pressure to follow in his father’s footsteps.

"There is pressure that comes with it, but rather than crumbling under it I like to thrive on it and [use it to] motivate me to forge my own path and become the best player I can be," Sailor told NRL.com while in camp with the Queensland under 20s side.

"For me, it is just about training and working hard and getting there on your own.

"Once you get to this stage you have to then take the opportunity and show them what you can do and then I think all that pressure will go away.

sailort-1753103rc.jpg

Queensland junior star Tristan Sailor. :copyright:Robb Cox/NRL Photos
"I am more a skilled player, rather than a power player like [Wendell].

"When I was young he taught me the skills but I have gone off on my own, and playing halves and fullback is a bit different to what he was doing."

Tristan said his father had been a major influence in helping him understand what it meant to play for Queensland, and in assisting him learn the basics.

"When I was young I got to work on the basic fundamentals with him like catching and passing," Tristan said.

"Growing up around the Queensland culture you knew what was expected of you.

"Because dad was always around it and going into Origin sheds I got to know them and look up to them.

"Through that winning streak for the Maroons we’d go into the sheds and Billy Slater, Greg Inglis and Cameron Smith were really good to me and made me feel a part of the culture straight away."

Queensland under 20s coach Justin Hodges played Sailor on the wing in Queensland’s 30-16 loss to NSW last year but agreed his future was elsewhere.

"Tristan has a lot of speed like his old man and although he is not as big he’s got better skills than his dad, and that is no disrespect to Dell," Hodges said.

"Dell used his speed and size to beat players but Tristan has vision and he can ball play. He is special in that way and just a very good athlete."

Tristan said he felt privileged to be coached in the under 20s camp by Hodges and his assistants Scott Prince and Lote Tuqiri, all former teammates of his father at the Brisbane Broncos.

It is the best halves in the game, two of whom he trains with at the Dragons, whose advice is also proving invaluable.

"I am trying to develop those skills here in Queensland camp with guys like Princey, and back at club with Gareth Widdop and Ben Hunt," Tristan said.

"I’ve really noted their professionalism as international players coming back from the World Cup, and just things like running lines and the way they talk to the team makes it great to learn from them.

"I am a bit of a utility and play anywhere in the backs really. For Queensland you play anywhere that they need you, which is part of the culture.

"But I am looking more in the halves now and I have been speaking to Mary [ Dragons coach Paul McGregor] and he thinks that is the best place for me to develop."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/22/tristan-sailor-thrives-on-his-famous-father-Wendells-legacy/

getsmarty

Immortal
appsk-171202705.jpg

REPRESENTATIVE

Apps, Bremner ruled out of Jillaroos squad for Commonwealth Nines
Author
Timestamp
Mon 22 Jan 2018, 06:21 PM

World Cup stars Kezie Apps and Sam Bremner have been ruled out of the Jillaroos squad for the upcoming Commonwealth Nines Championships in Brisbane.

Jillaroos coach Brad Donald is expected to announce a squad later this month for the tournament on February 23-24 at Redcliffe’s Dolphin Oval, which is being staged in the lead-up to the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games.

However, Apps is unavailable after undergoing surgery last week to remove screws and a plate in the leg she broke during last year’s NRL Nines in Auckland, while Bremner remains sidelined by the stress fracture suffered in a World Cup training mishap.

“It is recovering a bit slower than we expected and we don’t know why that is,” Bremner told NRL.com. “I kept running on it for two weeks, which wouldn’t have helped.

“It is definitely healing, there is a big callus around it but you can still see the crack, which means it is healing but it is not strong yet. I need to be back and healthy for our Origin match in June, so there is no rush.”

Apps, who is a St George Illawarra Dragons ambassador, is also focused on the representative games later in the season and the new NRL Women’s Premiership, which will be played as double-headers before and during the NRL finals.

bremner-s-16050601.jpg

Jillaroos player Sam Bremner scores a try. :copyright:NRL Photos
The 26-year-old second-rower’s surgeon had suggested she have the screws and plate removed last year but Apps didn’t want to jeopardise her World Cup ambitions.

“I had the choice of waiting until after the Nines series to get it out but then we have a National Championship in May, which is fairly important because that is going to have something to do with the selection of the NRL sides,” Apps said.

“I will have to just miss the Nines unfortunately, but I would have to miss something so I just wanted to get it out.

“It was a bit sore and was paining sometimes. He [the surgeon] said one of the screws was coming out, so that’s why I was in a bit of pain.”

The NRL is finalising a selection criteria to determine the six clubs who will receive licences for the inaugural women’s premiership but Apps said she hoped the Dragons would be included.

“This area was one of the first to get a women’s competition up and running, and with the first Nines game against the Sharks, they have been supporting the women’s game for a long time now so they should be a good chance of getting a side,” she said.

After the success of the World Cup, which the Jillaroos won after beating the Kiwi Ferns 23-16 in a thrilling final at Suncorp Stadium, Bremner said 2018 was poised to be an even bigger year for women’s rugby league.

“We are just waiting on what clubs are going to win the bid,” she said. “But I am trying not to look too far ahead.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/22...r-out-of-jillaroos-squad-for-commonwealth-9s/