What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
Vaughan's 2018 ambition
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 23 Jan 2018, 10:00 AM

By Brad Walter - NRL.com Senior Reporter

Paul Vaughan readily admits playing State of Origin wasn't even on his radar 12 months ago but after establishing himself as one of the NRL's best props in his first season with the St George Illawarra Dragons he now has his sights firmly on NSW selection.

Vaughan, who joined the Dragons last season after falling out of favour at the Canberra Raiders, was focused on reviving his NRL career and said Origin had never figured in his thoughts until later in the year.

After being chosen in the Prime Minister's XIII to play Papua New Guinea last September, Vaughan narrowly missed out on selection in Australia's World Cup squad and was a key member of the Italy team.

It was a huge turnaround for a player who had been demoted to Canberra's feeder club, Mounties, during the 2016 season before being released by the Raiders with a year to run on his contract.

Now Vaughan is aiming to continue his rise from NSW Cup to the NSW Origin team.

"Last year was good for me but I needed that year to build for my career because things went a bit south in Canberra," Vaughan said. "Now I am back up to where I know I can be so if I am playing good football I want to make that step up.

"I think it was important for me to start the year off good last year, obviously coming to a new club and wanting to earn the respect of the boys.

"I can't go backwards. I have to take another step in my career, play some good strong footy and hopefully there will be some higher honours down the track. If I can play the sort of footy I was last year I think I am more than capable of stepping up to that level."

While Vaughan was touted for Blues selection last year, the Raiders junior makes the stunning admission that he may not have been prepared to handle the rigours of Origin.

"If I was put in that position last year I am not sure if I was ready," Vaughan said. "I think last year was just more about trying to play good footy and trying to cement a starting spot.

"I knew that I was going in the right direction and I think that showed that it was achievable for me to play rep football.

"It is just having more confidence in myself, knowing that I played some great football last year. It made me want to strive to do better things in my career."

The arrival of England prop James Graham from Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs has given Vaughan even greater inspiration to continue building his game.

Vaughan said he had admired Graham before he joined the Dragons and considered him a role model.

"I can build on my game just by playing with him and following his actions and his leadership," Vaughan said.

"Everything he does well, like the one-percenters, working really hard off the ball, talking a lot … if I can implement that into my game I think I will improve a lot.

"He is just a competitor, everything that he does is a million miles an hour, he is very professional and obviously being at the top of the game for a long time, he knows what he is doing. He is a veteran of the front row so I am going to be picking his brain."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/01/23/vaughans-2018-ambition/

getsmarty

Immortal
Illawarra Steelers SG Ball to play Wigan, Hull curtain-raiser
  • Dragons Den News
    r0_0_3869_2579_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Charge: Aaron Schoupp, who played for the Harold Matthews team last year, has moved into the Steelers' SG Ball squad. Picture: Adam McLean
    The Illlawarra Steelers’ SG Ball team will feature in a curtain-raiser to next month’s Super League showdown in Wollongong, after the junior representative squads were named on Tuesday.

The Steelers under 18s will meet Western Suburbs on February 10, before Wigan and Hull meet in the first Super League competition game played outside of Europe, at WIN Stadium.

The SG Ball team features eight players from Illawarra club Wests as well as the best emerging talent from the Group Seven competition.

Coached by Group Seven premiership winner Jono Dallas (Jamberoo) and grand final opponent Matt O’Brien (Kiama), the SG Ball squad includes Blake Dowel, Sam Hooper (Warilla-Lake South), Oscar Fitzpatrick, Tarje Whitford (both Milton-Ulladulla), Jack Walsh (Albion Park-Oak Flats) and Kuyan Wellington (Nowra-Bomaderry/Gerringong).

In the Harold Matthews, coached by Ben Linde, Albion Park-Oak Flats trio Joshua Coric, Harley Nizza and Cooper Tunbridge, Milton-Ulladulla’s Riley Wooden, Berry-Shoalhaven Heads’ Louie Chilver and Stingrays of Shellharbour’s Trey Barlow.

The Illawarra Steelers have also named their train-on squad for the Tarsha Gale (under 18s) women’s competition.

While both the Tarsha Gale and the Harold Matthews sides will play Ron Costello Oval on February 19 – with the Tarsha Gale women at 10am against Parramatta and the Harold Matthews boys against Western Suburbs from 11.30am.

For the full squads, head to illawarramercury.com.au.
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5184034/steelers-are-on-super-stage/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
30 things that will pump you up for February 24
News
r0_2_1020_575_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

CHARITY SHIELD WATCH: The buzz ahead of the kick-off of the 2018 season at Glen Willow is reaching fever pitch, pictured is Ben Hunt, Russell Crowe, Ken Sutcliffe and Russell Moriarty.
Can you hear that?

It’s the buzz ahead of next month’s Chairty Shield clash at Glen Willow, and it’s reaching fever pitch.

There’s 30 sleeps to go before South Sydney and St George Illawarra kick-off the 2018 season at Mudgee.

So here’s 30 things to look forward to/get swept up in/avoid, depending on who you support, ahead of arguably the biggest game of footy Mudgee has hosted - EVER!

From the Russells, Crowe and Moriarty, to Kenny Sutcliffe, new Dragons stars James Graham and Ben Hunt and everything in between, we’ve got it covered:

1 Greg Inglis - he’s back!
Last season just didn’t seem right with the champion fullback out with that ruptured ACL. He’s back now, though, and the Chairty Shield will mark Inglis’ return.

2 Sam Burgess versus James Graham.
Mark Carroll versus Paul Harragon aside, there hasn’t been a more enthralling prop-versus-prop battle in the modern era. These two British Bulldogs could blow the roof of Glen Willow.

3 Ben Hunt.
Lured to the Illawarra from Brisbane, on big bucks, too. Many believe Hunt is the key to take the Dragons to the next level. Time will tell if the half can produce.

4 Mudgee wine.
Grab a bottle, any bottle. We love a drop. We’ve got the best reds in the bush.

5 Glen Willow.
It’s the best sporting complex outside of metropolitan Sydney in the state. These sort of games should be on in Mudgee every week!

6 The footy.
It seems like an age since Melbourne won the grand final … but cricket season has a funny knack of making time stand still. How good will it be to have the footy back.

7 The races the next day.
It’s all happening in Mudgee. First the Charity Shield, then the $150,000 central districts country championship qualifier the next day. Surely Mudgee is on the cusp of usurping Melbourne as the sporting capital of Australia.

8 Spot Kenny Sutcliffe.
It just wouldn’t be a sporting event in Mudgee without the male model himself. He’ll be there. Give us a wave, Kenny.

9 Angus Crichton.
Knuckling down during the summer months, apparently the Souths backrower, who hails from Young, had half a finger cut off during the off-season. Will he still be able to catch? Guess we’ll find out at Mudgee.

10 The Charity Shield.
Played between Souths and St George every year since 1982, the Charity Shield has long been regarded as the unofficial start of the season.

11 Braidon Burns.
Coonamble’s close, right? Burns will no doubt have a bus load of family coming down from Bears territory to cheer him on. It’s close enough, we’ll claim him.

12 Mudgee Dragons.
Juniors, seniors, committee, players, canteen staff … the lot. Games like these are great for the community, but more so for the locally footy club. The Mudgee Dragons could go global!

r35_0_1166_637_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

GET AROUND US: The Mudgee Dragons will fast become one of the more recognisable country footy brands thanks to the link with St George Illawarra.

13 Luciano Leilua.
With the departure of Forbes’ own NRL backrower Joel Thompson in the off-season, there’s an opening in the second-row at the Dragons. If Mary has any idea, he’ll give a large portion of those minutes to Leilua – plus, he’s nickname is Lucky. How good is that?

14 Dane Gagai.
Another of season 2018’s big player movements. Gagai will play in the centres, and if GI lobs up on the opposite side of the field, Souths could field the deadliest centre pairing in the comp.

15 Random Souths guy in crowd.
Anyone else on twitter? Get on it. There’s an account on there looking for Random Souths Supporters at different sporting events. Turns out there’s invariably someone in a Souths jumper just about everywhere you go. He’ll have a field day with the near pandemic level of Souths fans at Glen Willow.

16 The Town.
It’s February, kick-off is on twilight and the best venue in the bush will be up in lights, and on televisions across the country. Mudgee on prime time!

17 NRL in the bush.
We’ve been crying out for more top level sport in regional areas. Now we’ve got it, let’s get around it.

18 Russell Crowe.
“My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius, owner of South Sydney and bound for Mudgee, in this life or the next.” … that’s how the line goes, isn’t it?

19 The crowd.

JAM 'EM IN: There was a bumper crowd on hand for the 2012 City-Country, the first big-time fixture Glen Willow hosted.

Records are made to be broken, right? So let’s flood through those gates and eclipse the 9,132 mark set during the Titans and Eels NRL game in 2013.

For the record, 8,621 (2012) and 8,322 (2017) marks were hit in City-Country clashes at Mudgee, too.

20 Russell Moriarty.
There’s Souths fans, then there’s Russell. Mudgee’s very own Rabbitohs die-hard is surely in a state of euphoria this close out from his favourite team landing in Mudgee. A month to go, Russ.

21 Expectation.
Ask a Dragons fan what they expect from their side in 2018 … anything short of a premiership will be a failure. Souths are on the rise too. These two sides are throwing everything at 2018, and it all kicks off in Mudgee.

22 Anthony Seibold.
Will we get a glimpse of a new-look Souths with a new coach in charge? Surely fans of the cardinal red and myrtle green will be praying for something different.

23 Tom and George Burgess.
Apparently these blokes are giants. Souths fans will just be hopeful they can hold on to the ball for 80 per cent of their carries in 2018.

24 Supercoach.
Have you picked your team yet? If so, scrap it. Big chat Cameron Murray will start at lock for Souths. Serious POD.

25 Oh when the Saints.
One of the great team songs, and steeped in tradition. There’s nothing better than hearing thousands of people singing ‘Oh when the Saints, go marching in ...’ in unison.

Or is there?

26 Glory, Glory!
Does Glory, Glory top it? Yes, it’s the greatest victory song of all-time. Only Richmond’s Tigerland comes close – bum bum bum bum.

27 Women’s rugby league.
There’s no bigger growth area in the game, right now, than women’s rugby league. The girls get a run on the main field at Glen Willow before the Charity Shield. What a platform for the western women!

28 The Falcon.
Is there a more iconic Souths Sydney figure than Mario Fenech? Don’t answer that – it’s rhetorical. There’s no one better than the Falcon.

29 Western junior reps on show.
@WesternRams took on @SeaEagles at #Bathurst on Saturday.

A tough opposition in even tougher conditions - a perfect recipe, if you ask under 18s coach Paul McDonald, for @CountryRL championship success #bushfooty#Group10#Group11https://t.co/U6yR6jh8JQ

— Nick McGrath (@nickmcgrath4) January 22, 2018
The opening round of the 2018 country championships will be in Mudgee before kick-off. Western takes on the Penrith Panthers in both the under 16s and under 18s. Get out to the ground early and check out generation next in action.

30 Robbie Farah.
As a black and gold fan still dreaming about Benji’s flick pass and Patty Richards’ fend in 2005, Robbie Farah can expect a lot of attention from this author. Go Tigers.

http://www.mudgeeguardian.com.au/st...d-hot-30-what-to-look-out-for-on-february-24/

getsmarty

Immortal
Getsmarty, I’m liquered tonight, just had 4 margaritas. Love your post. The FOOTIE is back. Bring on the Bunnies. May the mighty Dragons smash them. I’m pumped. Bring it on.:thumbsup::thumbsup::boom::boom:

Yep...not long now....Can't wait to see Hunt and Graham running around in the Mighty Red V. Bring it on.

getsmarty

Immortal
mudgeefaithful_match_news.jpg
mudgeefaithful_match_news.jpg

CLUB NEWS

Dragons Round 11 Mudgee tickets on sale
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 24 Jan 2018, 12:30 PM

Tickets for the St George Illawarra Dragons' Round 11 clash against the Canberra Raiders at Glen Willow Stadium have today gone on sale to the general public.

Kicking off at the family friendly time of 2pm on Sunday, May 20, the Dragons will make their second 2018 appearance in Mudgee with February 24's Westfund Charity Shield still yet to be played.

Dragons announce Mudgee partnership

Family tickets (two adults and two children OR one adult and three children) are also available for the Round 11 clash at the low price of $50.

You can purchase your tickets to the Raiders game here.

This is the Dragons' first Telstra Premiership home game tickets to go on sale. The remaining home games are set to be available to the general public on February 13.

"One of the highlights of my childhood was when NRL teams would come to my hometown of Cairns to play games," Dragons winger Nene Macdonald said.

"For me to now be in this position and to be heading out to Mudgee throughout the year, it's a great opportunity for the people in the area to have the same experiences I was fortunate enough to have growing up."

The Mudgee Faithful membership is also a viable option for those wanting to see both Dragons games at Glen Willow Stadium in 2018.

For only $99, the Mudgee Faithful membership will get you entry to both games as well as exclusive member discounts, access players and a 2018 membership pack.

"I know that the other players and I are excited to get to Mudgee and play both the Charity Shield and the Round 11 game in front of a big crowd at Glen Willow Stadium," Dragons back-rower Luciano Leilua said.

"The Charity Shield is an important game for the players, not only off the field but also on it as it is our final trial game before the 2018 NRL season begins.

"I could potentially play against my brother (Raiders centre Joey Leilua) for the first time in the NRL so it's another reason why I'm excited to play."

With just a month to go, tickets continue to be on sale for the 2018 Westfund Charity Shield against the South Sydney Rabbitohs. You can buy your tickets here.

Corporate hospitality and networking packages are available too for both Dragons' fixtures at Glen Willow Stadium. For more details contact Jon Burt: jburt@dragons.com.au or on 0405 794 768.

Plenty of great accommodation remains available over the course of both weekends for those travelling from out of town – visit www.visitmudgeeregion.com.au

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/01/24/dragons-round-11-mudgee-tickets-on-sale/

getsmarty

Immortal
Summer Slog: Red V’s No.1 back-up plan, Kieran Foran’s biggest fear
NRL Premiership
  • January 25, 2018 6:00am
  • by Staff writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
MjQxMjAxODIyfGN4by5ifGh0dHBzOi8vY2RuLm5ld3NhcGkuY29tLmF1L2ltYWdlL3YxL2ZkZjAzMTdjYmMwMDUwYTAyNTYxYjU4OTYyMDE2ZjgwfDI0MTIwMTgyMg==

Dragons captain Gareth Widdop and coach Paul McGregor.Source: News Corp Australia
ST GEORGE Illawarra are yet to settle on their first-choice fullback for 2018, and a veteran has put his hand up to provide a left-field solution to the problem.

DRAGONS

St George Illawarra veteran Jason Nightingale is confident he can fill the void left by Josh Dugan if the young guns fail to fire in the No.1.

With rising stars Matt Dufty and Zac Lomax to be given first crack at the fullback role, Nightingale has suggested that if Paul McGregor needs a veteran head to call the shots at the back throughout the year, he’s capable of doing the job.

“I haven’t been training there but that doesn’t mean I won’t play there,” Nightingale told foxsports.com.au.

“I’ve trained on the wing and a little bit of centre.

“If it happens, I’ll go there. I’ve done it enough and understand the role that he’s got the fullback’s playing at the moment.”

Last season Dufty played seven games in first grade to finish the year as their No.1.

While Dufty is expected to start the season in the role, NSW under-18s Player of the Year, Lomax, has also been training in the role having previously starred in the centres at NYC level.

“It’s more about Dufty and Zac getting in there and learning a trade and then if I have to get in there sometime through the year it shouldn’t be too hard because it’s similar to last year and the year before that when I was playing there,” he said.

MjQxMjAxODIyfGN4by5ifGh0dHBzOi8vY2RuLm5ld3NhcGkuY29tLmF1L2ltYWdlL3YxL2UzYzk5YjI4MmE3YTkxY2U5MTljOTE0NWU2NjM3MGY0fDI0MTIwMTgyMg==

Dragons captain Gareth Widdop and coach Paul McGregor.Source: News Corp Australia

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/01d400b5f2c9884ccc88b0957a6c9a6d

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL 2018: Handy Mann happy to reprise utility role for Dragons
Local Sport
r0_0_2739_1826_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

CONTENDERS: Both Matt Dufty (left) and Kurt Mann (right) are in the running to replace Josh Dugan at fullback for the Dragons. Picture: Adam McLean

ST GEORGE Illawarra utility Kurt Mann is eyeing an elusive starting spot in 2018, but he’s happy to continue as the Dragons’ Mr Fixit if it means he sees regular NRL action.

The former Melbourne centre played every position in the Dragons back-line at various stages of the 2017 season, featuring in 21 of his side’s 24 games.

His best form undoubtedly came as a foil for skipper Gareth Widdop in the halves, with his finish to the season enough to earn a two-year contract extension.

Having played most of his junior football in the No. 6, Mann said he was keen to take the opportunity.

“I managed to string a few games together there last year in the halves and it’s a position I like playing,” Mann said.

“I got an opportunity to play there at the start of the year with Gaz being out with a medial [ligament injury] and they were probably some of my better games.

“Mary [coach Paul McGregor] showed a lot of faith in me in giving me that start in the halves. I had to fill big shoes with Gaz early on.

“That was the first game I’d played in the halves at NRL level so I felt obliged to repay him. I knew when I got that chance again I wanted to try and nail it.

“I was really enjoying my footy and as a result of that I was playing good as well.”

It was a strong finish to an at times frustrating season as he shifted around the park but Mann said he’s happy to reprise the role in 2018 if required.

“[Utility value] is a good thing but it can be a bit of an achilles heel,” he said.

“It is a bit frustrating at times but it’s something I’ve got to do for the team because I can do it. There’s not many other people in our team that can so that’s my role and I’m happy to do it.

“It gets me picked every week because I can play anywhere but I like playing in the halves, I like playing fullback.

“You always want to opportunity to play consistently in those positions so when I get my opportunity again hopefully I can grab it.”

New arrival Ben Hunt is a lock to partner Widdop in the halves this season, making a halves start unlikely, but Mann will come in to consideration for the No.1 jumper left vacant by the departed Josh Dugan.

Young-gun Matt Dufty has the inside running having finished 2017 at fullback but Mann said he’ll certainly put his hand up should the chance arise.

It would be a chance to go full circle having played the first two games of the 2016 season, his first with the club, at the back.

“That’s something I’ve spoken to Mary about, I’ve told him I wouldn’t mind having a go there and see what comes of it,” Mann said.

“He’s pretty keen to have a look at me there so I’m sure through the trial period I’ll get a chance there at some stage and we’ll see what happens.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5190228/handy-mann-happy-to-reprise-utility-role/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
Ex-St George Illawarra Dragons coach Price's Super League revival
  • Dragons Den News
    r0_116_3737_2217_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Change: Former Dragons coach Steve Price. Picture: Andy Zakeli
    Former St George Illawarra coach Steve Price believes he is now better suited to being a head coach than when he was installed in the Dragons hot seat in 2011.

Price, who kicks off his Super League coaching career on February 1 when his Warrington side host reigning premiers Leeds Rhinos, was just 34 when he replaced Wayne Bennett at the joint-venture.

However, his 14-year association with the club ended bitterly when he was axed midway through the 2014 campaign following a 36-0 thumping by Parramatta after overseeing the club's worst ever season 12 months earlier.

Never really comfortable being in the spotlight, Price went back to what he does best on the training paddock when Cronulla boss Shane Flanagan appointed him as his assistant.

Two years later the pair masterminded the Sharks to their long-awaited maiden premiership and Price's second having been integral in the Dragons' success under Bennett in 2010.

Price was named Warrington coach last November and had to plan for the new season without his young family, who will join him in the next month.

Despite being so far away from home and without his loved ones close by, Price is relishing being the main man again at one of Super League's strongest clubs.

"I am definitely a better coach now," Price told AAP.

"I am lot more mature, past experiences mean I am a lot more steeled and really enjoying being back in the head coaching seat.

"It's a fantastic club with a lot of good people and I am loving it.

"You always aspire to be back in the hot seat, I had 14 fantastic years at the Dragons, it is a great football club.

"I was very fortunate to spend three great seasons at Cronulla working under Shane, who is a fantastic man to work for.

"I like to think over those three years that I have grown as a person and as a coach and those experiences have put me in good stead to carry it over to the Warrington Wolves."

Price sounded out former Dragons coach Nathan Brown and ex-South Sydney boss Michael Maguire before taking the job and wants to emulate the success both men had in the Super League.

Maguire won the grand final with Wigan in 2010 and Brown guided St Helens to the 2014 title before taking the Newcastle job.

"Flanno was my first port of call and he was very supportive of it,"" Price said.

"He had the opportunity to coach Castleford a few years back and loved the experience.

"I spent a couple of weeks here in 2014 with Nathan when St Helens won the comp and had a small taste of it.

"Browny was very supportive of the Super League as was Madge (Maguire) and where I was in my career the time was right to make the move."

AAP

• http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...agons-coach-price-relishing-new-role/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Player Tracker: Squad

St George Illawarra Dragons

2018 squad: Ben Hunt (2022), Blake Lawrie (2019), Cameron McInnes (2018), Darren Nicholls (2019), Euan Aitken (2020), Gareth Widdop (2021), Hame Sele (2018), Jack De Belin (2020), Jacob Host (2020), Jai Field (2019), James Graham (2020), Jason Nightingale (2018), Jeremy Latimore (2018), Josh Kerr (2018), Kurt Mann (2019), Leeson Ah Mau (2018), Luciano Leilua (2018), Matt Dufty (2018), Mitchell Allgood (2018), Nene Macdonald (2019), Patrick Herbert (2018), Paul Vaughan (2021), Reece Robson (2019), Reuben Garrick (2018), Jordan Pereira (2018), Steven Marsters (2019), Tariq Sims (2019), Tim Lafai (2020), Tristan Sailor (2019), Tyson Frizell (2020), Zac Lomax (2019)

Gains: Mitchell Allgood (Wakefield Trinity - 2018), James Graham (Bulldogs - 2020), Ben Hunt (Broncos - 2022), Jeremy Latimore (Sharks - 2018), Darren Nicholls (Panthers - 2019).

Losses: Levi Dodd (Townsville Blackhawks), Josh Dugan (Sharks), Kalifa Faifai Loa (Townsville Blackhawks), Jacob Hind (Sunshine Coast Falcons), Drew Hutchison (Leigh), Chris Lewis (Sunshine Coast Falcons), Mose Masoe (Hull KR), Tyrone McCarthy (Salford), Josh McCrone (Toronto), Taane Milne (Wests Tigers), Shaun Nona (Wynnum-Manly), Russell Packer (Wests Tigers), Joel Thompson (Sea Eagles), Siliva Halivi (Raiders), Will Matthews, Jake Marketo, Izaac Thompson, Yaw Kiti Glymin (released), Will Matthews (Titans - train and trial).

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/18/2018-NRL-Player-Tracker-Squad-changes-for-all-16-clubs/

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Ex-St George Illawarra Dragons coach Price's Super League revival
  • Dragons Den News
    r0_116_3737_2217_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Change: Former Dragons coach Steve Price. Picture: Andy Zakeli
    Former St George Illawarra coach Steve Price believes he is now better suited to being a head coach than when he was installed in the Dragons hot seat in 2011.

Price, who kicks off his Super League coaching career on February 1 when his Warrington side host reigning premiers Leeds Rhinos, was just 34 when he replaced Wayne Bennett at the joint-venture.

However, his 14-year association with the club ended bitterly when he was axed midway through the 2014 campaign following a 36-0 thumping by Parramatta after overseeing the club's worst ever season 12 months earlier.

Never really comfortable being in the spotlight, Price went back to what he does best on the training paddock when Cronulla boss Shane Flanagan appointed him as his assistant.

Two years later the pair masterminded the Sharks to their long-awaited maiden premiership and Price's second having been integral in the Dragons' success under Bennett in 2010.

Price was named Warrington coach last November and had to plan for the new season without his young family, who will join him in the next month.

Despite being so far away from home and without his loved ones close by, Price is relishing being the main man again at one of Super League's strongest clubs.

"I am definitely a better coach now," Price told AAP.

"I am lot more mature, past experiences mean I am a lot more steeled and really enjoying being back in the head coaching seat.

"It's a fantastic club with a lot of good people and I am loving it.

"You always aspire to be back in the hot seat, I had 14 fantastic years at the Dragons, it is a great football club.

"I was very fortunate to spend three great seasons at Cronulla working under Shane, who is a fantastic man to work for.

"I like to think over those three years that I have grown as a person and as a coach and those experiences have put me in good stead to carry it over to the Warrington Wolves."

Price sounded out former Dragons coach Nathan Brown and ex-South Sydney boss Michael Maguire before taking the job and wants to emulate the success both men had in the Super League.

Maguire won the grand final with Wigan in 2010 and Brown guided St Helens to the 2014 title before taking the Newcastle job.

"Flanno was my first port of call and he was very supportive of it,"" Price said.

"He had the opportunity to coach Castleford a few years back and loved the experience.

"I spent a couple of weeks here in 2014 with Nathan when St Helens won the comp and had a small taste of it.

"Browny was very supportive of the Super League as was Madge (Maguire) and where I was in my career the time was right to make the move."

AAP

• http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...agons-coach-price-relishing-new-role/?cs=3713

........and stay there!

getsmarty

Immortal
St Helens and England star Alex Walmsley expected to make NRL decision soon

Prop has been heavily linked with St George-Illawarra for 2019, and says there is plenty to ponder

By Gary Carter
27th January 2018, 8:16 am
Updated: 27th January 2018, 8:16 am
ALEX Walmsley says he will make a decision on whether to head to Australia ‘sooner rather than later.’

But the England prop admits there is plenty other than rugby league to think about as he weighs up whether to join the English contingent in the NRL.

Reuters
Alex Walmsley has been a hit at St Helens but is heavily linked with a move to the NRL
The St Helens star has been heavily linked with a move to St George-Illawarra Dragons for 2019 and revealed there has been contact from interested parties since he played in the World Cup.

Walmsley, who told NRL clubs not to make contact during the tournament Down Under, is out of contract at the end of the year and a verdict on his future is expected in the coming weeks.

“It’ll be sorted sooner rather than later but the rumours have been clear for all to see,” said the 27-year-old. “Apparently, I’ve signed for eight clubs in the last six weeks.

“It’s a completely different world to here but a lot of people thrive but a lot have gone there and decided it’s not for them.

Rex Features
Walmsley is linked with NRL side st George-Illawarra
“The NRL is renowned as the best competition in the world and Sam Burgess and James Graham are two of the best examples of going there and being a success but it differentiates for different people.

“The interest is well documented but there’s a big difference between interest and signing. There’s a lot more ifs and buts to weigh up.

“I’ll definitely be at Saints for the next 12 months, after that I’m yet to decide what’s going on. There’s a lot of discussions to be had with a lot of people.

“I haven’t signed anything for post 2018.”

Getty Images - Getty
Walmsley played for England at last year's World Cup
Now he has made a mark at international level, Walmsley is looking forward to what could be a glorious final year at Saints.

And coach Justin Holbrook’s approach to pre-season and few signings have certainly brightened him up.

Walmsley added: “We were 10 seconds from the Grand Final last year and as a group, we know each other inside out and know how each other plays. I’m sure we’ll be there competing.

“Justin has a different approach to pre-season. Stereotypically, you think of hill-running, floggings until you drop, early mornings and fitness but there’s a lot more happy faces!”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/5436...-walmsley-expected-to-make-nrl-decision-soon/

getsmarty

Immortal
The top 10 most influential players in the NRL for season 2018
Travis Meyn, The Courier-Mail
9 minutes ago
WITH the season proper just over a month away, Courier Mail rugby league reporter Travis Meyn looks at the most influential players in the NRL.

These are the men who will decide which team claims grand final glory in 2018:

1. CAMERON SMITH (Melbourne Storm)
THE Storm, Maroons and Kangaroos skipper is coming off one of the most dominant seasons in NRL history. Smith was simply sensational in 2017, captaining Melbourne to a premiership, Queensland to another Origin series victory, winning his second Dally M Medal and leading the Kangaroos to World Cup glory. There is no more influential player in the game and he is doing it at the tender age of 34.

2. JOHNATHAN THURSTON (North Queensland Cowboys)
AT his peak, Thurston has been regarded as the greatest player the game has ever seen. The Cowboys co-captain is a four-time Dally M Medal winner and two-time NRL premiership champion. He played the final of his 37 State of Origin games for Queensland last year, kicking the fairytale sideline conversion to keep the series alive despite having a busted shoulder. There are few players who deliver in the big moments like Thurston regularly does and he will be itching to bounce back in 2018 — his likely final NRL season — after missing most of 2017 injured.

3. COOPER CRONK (Sydney Roosters)
THE Kangaroos and Maroons halfback has made the biggest transfer of the NRL off-season to continue his career at the Sydney Roosters. Cronk has carved a career as the ultimate professional, a player that triumphed because of hard work rather than natural talent. His 20 field goals for Melbourne delivered many victories during 14 seasons while he has been responsible for some of Queensland’s most memorable Origin moments. There are few calmer players in the NRL when the heat is on.

4. MICHAEL MORGAN (North Queensland Cowboys)
THE Cowboys dynamo would not have made the top 10 of this list a year ago, such has been his rise to become a genuine NRL star. Morgan started the 2017 season in terrible form and struggled to adapt to life without Johnathan Thurston when he was injured. But something clicked midway through the season and he went on to guide the Cowboys to the most unlikely of grand final appearances. Make no mistake, Morgan was the best player in the NRL throughout last year’s finals series and few could stop him. His challenge now is to continue that form with Thurston back in the mix.

5. JASON TAUMALOLO (North Queensland Cowboys)
HAS there ever been a more destructive forward in the NRL? Taumalolo took the role of a middle forward to a new level when he shared the Dally M Medal honours with Cooper Cronk in 2016 and has not slowed down. He regularly runs for more than 200m in a game and has swung momentum in North Queensland’s favour many times. There is a reason the Cowboys signed him for a record 10 years and the scary thing is he is only 24.

6. DALY CHERRY-EVANS (Manly Sea Eagles)
ONE of the NRL’s most maligned players produced a fantastic season in 2017. Cherry-Evans bounced back to his best form, piloting Manly to a finals appearance. The NRL’s $10 million man will always carry the burden of pressure following his eight-year mega deal but he is now better equipped to deal with it. When Manly is winning it is usually on the back of Cherry-Evans’ brilliance and this season should be no different.

7. SAM BURGESS (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
THE big-hitting English forward is the barometer for South Sydney’s success. When Burgess is firing, so are the Bunnies. He has had a couple of quiet seasons of late but is primed to explode in 2018 following a solid finish to the World Cup. With Greg Inglis struggling to come back from a knee injury, if the Rabbitohs are successful this year then it will be because of Burgess’ brilliance in the middle.

8. GARETH WIDDOP (St George-Illawarra Dragons)
THE Dragons playmaker finished third in last year’s Dally M Medal after playing a dominant role in St George-Illawarra’s solid season. The Dragons struggled midway through last season and a lot of that had to do with Widdop sitting on the sidelines injured. He played fullback at times for England during last year’s World Cup and has proven he is a world class player following a couple of tough seasons after leaving Melbourne. If the Dragons are winning then Widdop is usually playing a large part in that.

9. JAMES TEDESCO (Sydney Roosters)
THE NSW Origin fullback could be considered a contentious selection in this list but he polled top 10 in the Dally M Medal last year despite being in a bottom three team. Tedesco’s career has been littered with highs and lows but one thing is certain — he is a genuine matchwinner. The Tigers had little success when Tedesco wasn’t firing and he could be a revelation for the Roosters this year in a change of environment. You can’t substitute speed and Tedesco has the talent to take the Roosters a long way this season.

10. DARIUS BOYD (Brisbane Broncos)
THE Broncos captain is the heart and soul of Brisbane at fullback. Boyd was in sensational form to start the 2017 season, playing a leading role in Brisbane’s fantastic first half of the year. He struggled with injuries at the back end of the year and the Broncos fell apart without him. There are few safer fullbacks in the game and Brisbane’s premiership hopes in 2018 will rest heavily on their skipper’s shoulders given the inconsistency of five-eighth Anthony Milford.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...k=60ee075db6f6c1fc79a5182d57b62360-1517183023

LINESPEED

Juniors
Summer Slog: Red V’s No.1 back-up plan, Kieran Foran’s biggest fear
NRL Premiership
  • January 25, 2018 6:00am
  • by Staff writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
MjQxMjAxODIyfGN4by5ifGh0dHBzOi8vY2RuLm5ld3NhcGkuY29tLmF1L2ltYWdlL3YxL2ZkZjAzMTdjYmMwMDUwYTAyNTYxYjU4OTYyMDE2ZjgwfDI0MTIwMTgyMg==

ST GEORGE Illawarra are yet to settle on their first-choice fullback for 2018, and a veteran has put his hand up to provide a left-field solution to the problem.

DRAGONS

St George Illawarra veteran Jason Nightingale is confident he can fill the void left by Josh Dugan if the young guns fail to fire in the No.1.

With rising stars Matt Dufty and Zac Lomax to be given first crack at the fullback role, Nightingale has suggested that if Paul McGregor needs a veteran head to call the shots at the back throughout the year, he’s capable of doing the job.

“I haven’t been training there but that doesn’t mean I won’t play there,” Nightingale told foxsports.com.au.

“I’ve trained on the wing and a little bit of centre.

“If it happens, I’ll go there. I’ve done it enough and understand the role that he’s got the fullback’s playing at the moment.”

Last season Dufty played seven games in first grade to finish the year as their No.1.

While Dufty is expected to start the season in the role, NSW under-18s Player of the Year, Lomax, has also been training in the role having previously starred in the centres at NYC level.

“It’s more about Dufty and Zac getting in there and learning a trade and then if I have to get in there sometime through the year it shouldn’t be too hard because it’s similar to last year and the year before that when I was playing there,” he said.

MjQxMjAxODIyfGN4by5ifGh0dHBzOi8vY2RuLm5ld3NhcGkuY29tLmF1L2ltYWdlL3YxL2UzYzk5YjI4MmE3YTkxY2U5MTljOTE0NWU2NjM3MGY0fDI0MTIwMTgyMg==

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/01d400b5f2c9884ccc88b0957a6c9a6d

Retire Nighty, you've overstayed - and you, Alice and Aitken will cost us a couple of young guns who'll move on and play for Australia with other clubs.
Fittler and more astute coaches are lurking.
Our only real hope is to lose the first 5 games and replace the coach
As usual everyone's talking potential for 2 years hence, thus justifying failure this year??