What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
Stat Attack: The risky plays that turned Red V around
Author
Dan Walsh
Timestamp
Fri 16 Feb 2018, 11:00 AM

A little over 12 months ago the Dragons' attack was an eyesore.

After registering just 341 points in 2016 – the lowest season total in the joint-venture's history – St George Illawarra rattled up an impressive 533 points for the year to rank fifth in the NRL.

Key to the transformation was newfound go forward and an ability to get themselves into attacking territory – which they did by chancing their arm more often than any other side in 2017.

The Dragons' 264 effective offloads from 353 attempts (at a 75 per cent success rate) were the most in the NRL last year, as was the 110.6 metres a game they made off the back of a pass slipped in the midst of a tackle.

Tyson Frizell and Tim Lafai proved themselves particularly adept in this facet, with their teammates making an extra 14.6 metres (Frizell) and 11.1 metres (Lafai) each time they got a pass away.

Paul McGregor's side also threw more offloads than any of their competitors (143, six per game) when it came to working off their own try line.

The result – a total of 40,954 metres for the season at an average of 1706m each match, again the best in NRL.

stats_dragons-offloads.jpg

*A previous version of this story had the Dragons listed as making 285 offloads in 2017. This has been updated to 264 effective offloads to reflect this development in their game more accurately.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/16/stat-attack-the-risky-plays-that-turned-red-v-around/

getsmarty

Immortal
Stat Attack: The risky plays that turned Red V around
Author
Dan Walsh
Timestamp
Fri 16 Feb 2018, 11:00 AM

A little over 12 months ago the Dragons' attack was an eyesore.

After registering just 341 points in 2016 – the lowest season total in the joint-venture's history – St George Illawarra rattled up an impressive 533 points for the year to rank fifth in the NRL.

Key to the transformation was newfound go forward and an ability to get themselves into attacking territory – which they did by chancing their arm more often than any other side in 2017.

The Dragons' 264 effective offloads from 353 attempts (at a 75 per cent success rate) were the most in the NRL last year, as was the 110.6 metres a game they made off the back of a pass slipped in the midst of a tackle.

Tyson Frizell and Tim Lafai proved themselves particularly adept in this facet, with their teammates making an extra 14.6 metres (Frizell) and 11.1 metres (Lafai) each time they got a pass away.

Paul McGregor's side also threw more offloads than any of their competitors (143, six per game) when it came to working off their own try line.

The result – a total of 40,954 metres for the season at an average of 1706m each match, again the best in NRL.

stats_dragons-offloads.jpg

*A previous version of this story had the Dragons listed as making 285 offloads in 2017. This has been updated to 264 effective offloads to reflect this development in their game more accurately.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/16/stat-attack-the-risky-plays-that-turned-red-v-around/

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor proclaims the 2018 squad as his best yet
Dragons
  • February 16, 2018 2:54pm
  • by AAP
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
MTYyMjAxODV8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvY2FiNDlmNWY4YjUxOGVmZTFhMTUzYmM3ZmU1NTIxMDJ8MTYyMjAxODU=

The acquisitions of Ben Hunt and James Graham has given Paul McGregor his strongest Dragons roster yet. Photo: Richard DobsonSource: News Corp Australia
PAUL McGregor finally has a squad that is truly his.

Ahead of St George Illawarra’s first hitout of the NRL pre-season against Hull FC on Saturday night, McGregor says he has accomplished that after three-and-a-half years in the coach’s chair.

Coaches often talk about the fact it takes them several years to assemble a squad that is moulded in their image and capable of playing to their game plan.

Since taking over midway through 2014, he has been slowly chipping away at recruitment, with the arrival of Ben Hunt and James Graham the final pieces of the puzzle.

“As a head coach it does take probably three years to get the roster you want, unless you inherit a very good one that are in the top four, six in the competition,” McGregor said.

“We weren’t that back in ’14. I feel now that I’ve got a roster that I’m totally comfortable with.

“I think it’s the best roster the club has had in my time here.

“Those nine debutants over the last two years, they’re a good age, they’re into their second or third pre-season along with the addition of the two internationals in Ben and James.”

The 2018 pre-season has also been the club’s most settled after in late 2016 sweeping a broom through his football department and coaching staff.

The Red V faithful will get a glimpse of their best 17 in Saturday’s exhibition match against English Super League outfit Hull FC at ANZ Stadium, including Hunt and Graham’s first hit-outs for their new club.

MTYyMjAxODV8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvZmEyZjkzMmQ5ZDQzOGQ5YzUwM2JhNjNmM2NjYTcxNzF8MTYyMjAxODU=

Nene MacDonald’s Dragons take on Mark Minichiello’s Hull FC in the ANZ Stadium double-header on Saturday. Photo: Mark KolbeSource: Getty Images
The challenge for McGregor this year is to reduce the gap between their best and worst after suffering alarming late-season fade-outs over two of the last three seasons.

Last year they led the competition after seven rounds only to finish ninth and in 2015 they were out in front after 12 rounds, but finished eighth and bombed out in the first week of the finals.

“It’s a combination of things — you can’t say it’s one thing,” McGregor said when asked what he had done to address their inconsistency.

“You’ve got to look at it holistically.

MTYyMjAxODV8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvYTQ5NGFkYTVmNmE4YmYxN2VhNWVlNWQzZmIxOGY1OWR8MTYyMjAxODU=

Having signed a two-year contract extension last season Dragons coach Paul McGregor says he finally has a squad to call his own. Photo: John AppleyardSource: News Corp Australia
“The travel — the guys have got a bus now. The (Sydney-based) guys spend 12 hours in a car on a weekly basis.

“We talk about the travel that North Queensland and Melbourne do, they travel once every two weeks. Our guys travel 10 to 12 hours per week to and from training.

“Halfway through the year you can probably get a dip in your energy.

“Around Origin, you can be driven a little bit by self and not team.

“We’ve addressed that.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/b5431bbb9cd5c7b1fa8b4f259344850a

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons coach Paul McGregor says he finally has the squad he wants
Send via Email
It's taken the best part of four years, but St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor finally has the roster he wants heading into the 2018 season.

McGregor will begin his fourth campaign as head coach in Saturday's trial clash with Hull at ANZ Stadium, with new faces Ben Hunt and James Graham to have their first outing in Dragons colours.

The pair of Internationals put the finishing touch on a roster several seasons in the making since McGregor took the reigns from former coach Steve Price midway through 2014.

His ascension to the head-coaching role came amid a salary cap squeeze that ultimately resulted in local juniors Trent Merrin and Brett Morris departing the club as part of a dramatic roster overhaul.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor is finally happy with his roster.

Photo: Anthony Johnson
Contract talks and roster instability have been a constant headache in the ensuing two seasons but McGregor is confident his current squad is the best he's had at his disposal.

"I think it's the best roster we've had in my time here," McGregor said.

"As a head coach it does take you probably three years to get the roster you want unless you inherit a very good one that are currently in the top four to six sides in the competition.

"We weren't that when I started back in '14 and the start of '15. I feel now I've got a roster I'm totally comfortable with.

St George Illawarra Dragons coach Paul McGregor in 2014.

Photo: Andy Zakeli
"I think our balance of youth and experience is good with the nine debutants we've had in the last two years. They're a good age, they're into their second and third pre-season which is great.

"With the addition of the two Internationals in Ben and James, as well as bringing in some experience into that middle part of the field, I feel this squad is the best one we've had for quite some time."

McGregor will be hoping the added experience can arrest the late-season fade-outs that have been the club's Achilles heel in recent years and dramatically cost it a finals berth in 2017.

"We exceeded the critics expectations to start they year but we didn't live up to our own at the back end of the year," McGregor said.

"We've got to be consistent for a longer period. We did lead the competition, and we were in the top four in round 14, but we didn't finish strong enough.

"Two out of the [last] three years we've been in the top four past the halfway mark of the competition so it's about maintaining that standard, regardless of the opposition we play, on a weekly basis.

"We dropped five games to teams that finished below us and that's not good enough. For us, it's about closing that gap between our best and our worst and being consistent on a weekly basis.

"I feel we've got the squad to do that now with depth in important positions."

McGregor said new-look halves Ben Hunt and Gareth Widdop will get between 40 and 50 minutes of action against Hull, in what will be there first hit-out as a pair.

"I think that combination will grow as the season goes on," McGregor said.

"Benny's a genuine [number] seven. He likes to play on the ball and likes to run the footy, he's a dominant kicker, which will take a lot of pressure away from Gaz.

"I feel Gaz is one of the best instinctive players in the game and he's got bottomless talent so he'll be released to do that instead of looking to organise a footy team.

"That'll be up to Ben to execute the game plan so I'll be looking for those few things from him [on Saturday]."

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...y-has-the-squad-he-wants-20180216-h0w7pz.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Ben Hunt and James Graham to debut for new club Dragons in league trial
Thu, Feb 15

Source:

AAP
Ben Hunt and James Graham have been named to make their St George Illawarra debuts in the Dragons' trial against English Super League outfit Hull FC.

GettyImages-469152708.jpg.hashed.322b8a6c.desktop.story.inline.jpg

Ben Hunt of the Broncos

Source: Getty

On Saturday at ANZ Stadium, Test and Queensland playmaker Hunt will begin a five-year $6 million Dragons NRL deal after leaving Brisbane.

English international Graham signed until the end of 2020 after the former Bulldogs skipper's seven seasons at Belmore including two grand finals.

The Dragons' other off-season buys, Jeremy Latimore (Cronulla), Darren Nicholls (Penrith) and Mitch Allgood (Wakefield Trinity), also feature in the 24-strong squad.

"It will be good to get them into a playing environment to see where their physical conditioning is after a tough pre-season and how their tactical understanding is," Dragons coach Paul McGregor said.

The clash is part of a double header also featuring South Sydney against English heavyweights Wigan.

At Gold Coast, former Penrith star Bryce Cartwright will run out in Titans colours for the first time in Saturday night's trial against Brisbane in Toowoomba.

james-graham.jpg.hashed.2f564710.desktop.story.inline.jpg

James Graham

Cartwright will start at lock barely a week after arriving at the club.

The 23-year-old only began life as a Titan last Friday with his first training session after a sudden departure just two years into a five-season Panthers deal.

Cartwright will be joined in the 23-strong squad by fellow recruits Brendan Elliot, Kiah Cooper, Brenko Lee, Leilani Latu, Jai Whitbread and Tony Matautia.

Young gun Alexander Brimson will partner five-eighth Kane Elgey in the halves against the Broncos.

While all eyes will be on Cartwright, Titans coach Garth Brennan has turned the heat up on Elgey ahead of the trial.

"Kane Elgey gets a chance to play in the halves and really steer us around on the weekend," Brennan said.

"I've put some pressure on him a bit to take control of that football team.

"He's had a great pre-season.

"He belongs there. He just needs to get out there and own that football team."

Brennan is expected to name a full-strength Titans side for their final trial on February 24 against the Warriors on the Sunshine Coast.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/spo...graham-debut-new-club-dragons-in-league-trial

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra v Hull FC: Featherstone to NRL - Agar happy to embrace new challenges in life
Dave Craven
Published: 22:30 Friday 16 February 2018
image.jpg

Richard Agar making himself at home in Illawarra
EVERY day Richard Agar drives up to one of just five parking slots situated on the famous eastern hill at Wollongong WIN Stadium.

In doing so, it probably means he adds another 200 yards or so on the walk to his office, situated in one of the stands behind the posts, but you soon see why it has become a daily routine.

image.jpg

Richard Agar in Illawara
At the top of the grassy bank, where hundreds of fans locate to watch St George-Illawarra, there is a sweeping panoramic view down along a beach as far as the eye can see with the Pacific Ocean cradling it all behind.

For a lad from Featherstone, soaking up that vista alone, just for a few seconds, allows the former Hull FC and Wakefield Trinity coach to remind himself just how fortunate he is.

Agar had already had a varied career before finding himself in this coastal city, around an hour’s drive south of Sydney.

He played semi-professionally predominantly for the likes of Dewsbury Rams and Featherstone Rovers, his footballing brain as a stand-off clearly coming to the fore in a coaching career that has encompassed places as diverse as York, France – he was national coach between 2013 and 2015 – and now New South Wales.

I’ve never been one for making decisions that have left me stuck in a comfort zone; I’ve always been prepared to say ‘all right, let’s have a go at this and what’s the worst that can happen?’ Whatever the worst is, I know I can handle it.
Richard Agar
The last three years have been spent working with Tony Smith at Warrington Wolves but he has never been frightened to embrace different challenges such as this current departure working for the Dragons’ recruitment department under former St Helens and Castleford Tigers coach Ian Millward.

“I grew up in ruby league, I love the sport and it’s been very good to me,” Agar told The Yorkshire Post. “As a coach you obviously experience the highs and the lows but I was probably shaped quite early when, in my late teens, I lost my mum.

“That experience gave me a real attitude in life that I would try and make the most of it and not be too afraid of taking opportunities.

“I’ve never been one for making decisions that have left me stuck in a comfort zone; I’ve always been prepared to say ‘all right, let’s have a go at this and what’s the worst that can happen?’ Whatever the worst is, I know I can handle it.

“With this job it was a big call in terms of relocating for the obvious family reasons – leaving our families behind – and it was very much a change of job.

“But I was looking forward to that; coaching and coaching at the highest level can be absolutely relentless.

“Of course I still work hard but I’m not in that day-to-day grind. It’s given me the opportunity to develop a different skills-set and live in a truly beautiful part of the world.

“I like Australians. I like Australia. I always have done. It nearly came off for me after the World Cup in 2013 when I almost joined an NRL club but for one reason or another – mainly personal circumstances and really loving being coach at Wakefield at the time – it didn’t happen.

“But now it was now or never time. I don’t think I could wish to be in a better spot than Wollongong and I feel very lucky to be here.”

Agar, who will see his new club take on one of his former ones when St George-Illawarra face Hull FC at ANZ Stadium today, has signed a three-year contract but has a five-year sponsorship to stay in Australia.

The role itself is “multi-faceted” covering a raft of layers at the NRL club whose stars include England internationals James Graham and Gareth Widdop.

Agar, 46, explained: “Although I do have an overall responsibility for recruitment, particularly for the junior rep’ sides which are Under 16s and 18s, I also have a couple of days a week coaching the Under-20s alongside Wayne Collins, who is a former team-mate of mine at Dewsbury.

“I oversee the junior rep’ coaches almost in a mentoring role; I’m there for them, they’ll ask me things, pick my brains, I’ll watch training sessions, occasionally jump into training sessions and do bits of coaching.

“We’ll discuss previews, reviews and man-management issues and – I will say – that’s a part of the job that I’ve really enjoyed.”

Agar, a few months into the role, is not completely alien to his new patch either.

“I did play a season down this south coast when I was a kid, just before rugby league went to summer,” he recalled. “It was the last opportunity where you could play in an off-season and I went to a side called Eden Tigers.

“One of my mates was from Wollongong and he was mates with Brett Rodwell who used to play here (for Illawarra Steelers).

“I got to know guys like Brett, (ex-Illawarra/player agent) Dave Riolo and Brendan O’Meara who later played with me at Dewsbury.

“So in all sorts of indirect ways, both with St George and Illawarra, I’ve got some connections and I’m not starting from scratch.”

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/spo...-life-1-9021307/amp?__twitter_impression=true

P.S Thanks St Doc

getsmarty

Immortal
Dufty stars in Dragons trial win
Local Sport
r0_0_2911_2998_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

STANDOUT: Matt Dufty breaks into the clear in the Dragons 24-18 win over Hull at ANZ Stadium. Picture: AAP

PRIOR to Saturday’s clash with Hull at ANZ Stadium, Dragons coach Paul McGregor said young-gun Matt Dufty had “the inside running” for the club’s No.1 jumper.

The 21-year-old now looks five lengths clear following his performance in his side’s 24-18 win over the Super League heavyweights.

The diminutive livewire asked plenty of questions of the Hull defence and ran for more than 200 metres in a 68-minute stint at the back.

He also linked well with new No. 7 Ben Hunt on the right edge and it appears only an untimely injury will stop him building on his seven NRL appearances come round one.

“He’s had a really good preseason, much better than his previous one,” McGregor said.

“He’s into his third one now so he’s a player we’re looking forward to seeing the best out of this year. I think what he’ll get out of it was that his conditioning was better than at any time last year.

“He’s a nice age, he’s put on a bit of weight, his speed is his asset. He’s a bloke who can cover a lot of ground and go between both edges. When the ball goes long he can get across the back on the next shift.

“It gives us another option to ball-play at the fullback position which we haven’t had for a while. After a tough preseason to go out and play like that was good for the kid.”

Dufty was the bright light in an otherwise patchy display from the Dragons who trailed 12-10 at halftime on the back of two tries to former Sharks and Titans half Albert Kelly.

Hull were match-hardened but far from full strength with skipper Danny Houghton and key forward Mark Minichello both casualties of their clash with Wigan in Wollongong last week.

Still, inspired largely by Kelly, the reigning Challenge Cup champions gave the Dragons all they could handle for the best part of the 80 minutes before Kurt Mann sealed the win five minutes from fulltime.

Just how much one can read into trial performances is a topic for debate but fans will hope the solid rather than spectacular performance was merely a case of blowing out the cobwebs.

In what was their first outing as a pair, new-look halves Hunt and Gareth Widdop linked only sparingly throughout, instead focusing their efforts on their respective edges.

Hunt ultimately put in a 72-minute stint while coach Paul McGregor pulled Widdop, Dufty and Cam McInnes from the park with the result still in the balance 12 minutes from fulltime.

McGregor said both Tyson Frizell and Jack de Belin, who missed Saturday’s clash, will return for next weekend’s Charity Shield against Souths as he hones in on his final 17 for round one.

“It was a good opportunity to give 25 players a bit of game time,” McGregor said.

“[Hull] played a couple of games and a couple of trials beforehand so they were bit [more] game-hardened.

“We’ve had a couple of opposed sessions and we probably took the game with that attitude defensively so we’ll need to be better.

“We got through the game with no injuries which is really good. Tyson [Frizell] and Jack de Belin will play good minutes next week against Souths.

“It’s all about round one, it’s not about today, it’s not about next week, but certainly building into round one’s important over the next two weeks.”

Kelly scored the opening try 10 minutes in, putting Jake Connor away down the right-hand flank and backing up on the inside to gather his centre’s grubber and plant the ball under the posts.

Marc Sneyd converted for a 6-0 lead. It was short-lived with Tim Lafai opening the Dragons account at the other end after a deft offload from Paul Vaughan.

Widdop nailed the sideline conversion to level things up and six apiece.

The Dragons took the lead through veteran winger Jason Nightingale, who crossed in the right-hand corner after a nice exchange of passing from Hunt and Dufty.

Widdop’s conversion attempt was waved away keeping he score at 10-6 12 minutes before halftime.

The visitors took the lead again through Kelly, who stepped his way across from close range to post his second try next to the posts. Sneyd added the extras for a two-point cushion at 12-10 five minutes out from the break.

Nene Macdonald scored out wide seven minutes after the resumption with Widdop’s conversion attempt bouncing off the upright and keeping the score at 14-10.

Macdonald had his second six minutes later with a tough finish from a Widdop long-ball to push the margin out to six at 18-12.

Hull leveled up quickly through prop Liam Watts who caught some sluggish Dragons defence napping on their try-line.

Sneyd made no mistake with the conversion again squaring the ledger at 18-all with 22 minutes to play.

Hull pressed hard for a a go-ahead try before Mann sealed the game for the Dragons five minutes from time after being re-injected into the match as a replacement for Widdop.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5234366/dufty-stars-in-dragons-trial-win/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
How Dragons spine will unleash in 2018
Author
Dan Walsh
Timestamp
Sat 17 Feb 2018, 10:26 PM

Paul McGregor's new playmaking spine may have bent itself out of shape at times, but already the St George Illawarra Dragons coach is spruiking its upside after revamping his attack over the summer.

Fullback Matt Dufty outshone high-priced halfback recruit Ben Hunt as the Dragons eventually got past a plucky Hull outfit 24-18 on Saturday night, with the Red V offence firing on occasion, and floundering at others.

But with Dufty's eye-catching turn of pace and Hunt's composed kicking game the key take-aways, the Dragons see an extra ball-playing option and more opportunities for skipper Gareth Widdop as the eventual pay-off of their overhaul in 2018.

duftym-1821701.jpg

Dragons fullback Matt Dufty. :copyright:Robb Cox/NRL Photos
The No.1 jumper vacated by Josh Dugan is now Dufty's to lose ahead of the March 8 season opener against the Brisbane Broncos, with McGregor highlighting the youngster's playmaking abilities when chiming into the backline.

"We've certainly got a better mix with how we attack from the centre of the field," McGregor said.

"Obviously Dufty can cover a lot of ground so he can actually float in between both edges, especially when the ball goes long he can get across the back on the next shift.

"Whereas Josh is more of a power runner and a very dangerous runner of the footy. It gives us another option to ball play at the fullback position which is something we haven’t had in the past."

Hunt also had his moments, particularly off the boot with a couple of tries from his kicks denied by the video officials, while he also combined with Widdop down the left edge to send winger Nene MacDonald over.

Widdop and McGregor were circumspect about the first outing for the star halves pairing, but remained confident Hunt's addition will eventually unleash the English international's running game.

"It's going to take a little bit of time, but we’ve worked extremely hard throughout the pre-season," Widdop said.

"He's been brought to the club for a reason. He's a good kicker of the football, he can organise and he can free me up a little bit. I thought we worked ok at time times tonight and we'll be better for the run tonight that's for sure."

McGregor confirmed the Dragons have no injury worries out of their first game for 2018, with Tyson Frizell and Jack de Bellin to be added to the teamsheet for next week's Charity Shield clash with South Sydney Rabbitohs in Mudgee.

Mann of the moment

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/17/how-st-george-illawarra-dragons-spine-will-unleash-in-2018/

McGregor's comments about Dufty
“He’s a nice age, he’s put on a bit of weight, his speed is his asset. He’s a bloke who can cover a lot of ground and go between both edges. When the ball goes long he can get across the back on the next shift."
Can anyone explain to me what he's talking about??
Dufty stars in Dragons trial win
Local Sport
r0_0_2911_2998_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

STANDOUT: Matt Dufty breaks into the clear in the Dragons 24-18 win over Hull at ANZ Stadium. Picture: AAP

PRIOR to Saturday’s clash with Hull at ANZ Stadium, Dragons coach Paul McGregor said young-gun Matt Dufty had “the inside running” for the club’s No.1 jumper.

The 21-year-old now looks five lengths clear following his performance in his side’s 24-18 win over the Super League heavyweights.

The diminutive livewire asked plenty of questions of the Hull defence and ran for more than 200 metres in a 68-minute stint at the back.

He also linked well with new No. 7 Ben Hunt on the right edge and it appears only an untimely injury will stop him building on his seven NRL appearances come round one.

“He’s had a really good preseason, much better than his previous one,” McGregor said.

“He’s into his third one now so he’s a player we’re looking forward to seeing the best out of this year. I think what he’ll get out of it was that his conditioning was better than at any time last year.

“He’s a nice age, he’s put on a bit of weight, his speed is his asset. He’s a bloke who can cover a lot of ground and go between both edges. When the ball goes long he can get across the back on the next shift.

“It gives us another option to ball-play at the fullback position which we haven’t had for a while. After a tough preseason to go out and play like that was good for the kid.”

Dufty was the bright light in an otherwise patchy display from the Dragons who trailed 12-10 at halftime on the back of two tries to former Sharks and Titans half Albert Kelly.

Hull were match-hardened but far from full strength with skipper Danny Houghton and key forward Mark Minichello both casualties of their clash with Wigan in Wollongong last week.

Still, inspired largely by Kelly, the reigning Challenge Cup champions gave the Dragons all they could handle for the best part of the 80 minutes before Kurt Mann sealed the win five minutes from fulltime.

Just how much one can read into trial performances is a topic for debate but fans will hope the solid rather than spectacular performance was merely a case of blowing out the cobwebs.

In what was their first outing as a pair, new-look halves Hunt and Gareth Widdop linked only sparingly throughout, instead focusing their efforts on their respective edges.

Hunt ultimately put in a 72-minute stint while coach Paul McGregor pulled Widdop, Dufty and Cam McInnes from the park with the result still in the balance 12 minutes from fulltime.

McGregor said both Tyson Frizell and Jack de Belin, who missed Saturday’s clash, will return for next weekend’s Charity Shield against Souths as he hones in on his final 17 for round one.

“It was a good opportunity to give 25 players a bit of game time,” McGregor said.

“[Hull] played a couple of games and a couple of trials beforehand so they were bit [more] game-hardened.

“We’ve had a couple of opposed sessions and we probably took the game with that attitude defensively so we’ll need to be better.

“We got through the game with no injuries which is really good. Tyson [Frizell] and Jack de Belin will play good minutes next week against Souths.

“It’s all about round one, it’s not about today, it’s not about next week, but certainly building into round one’s important over the next two weeks.”

Kelly scored the opening try 10 minutes in, putting Jake Connor away down the right-hand flank and backing up on the inside to gather his centre’s grubber and plant the ball under the posts.

Marc Sneyd converted for a 6-0 lead. It was short-lived with Tim Lafai opening the Dragons account at the other end after a deft offload from Paul Vaughan.

Widdop nailed the sideline conversion to level things up and six apiece.

The Dragons took the lead through veteran winger Jason Nightingale, who crossed in the right-hand corner after a nice exchange of passing from Hunt and Dufty.

Widdop’s conversion attempt was waved away keeping he score at 10-6 12 minutes before halftime.

The visitors took the lead again through Kelly, who stepped his way across from close range to post his second try next to the posts. Sneyd added the extras for a two-point cushion at 12-10 five minutes out from the break.

Nene Macdonald scored out wide seven minutes after the resumption with Widdop’s conversion attempt bouncing off the upright and keeping the score at 14-10.

Macdonald had his second six minutes later with a tough finish from a Widdop long-ball to push the margin out to six at 18-12.

Hull leveled up quickly through prop Liam Watts who caught some sluggish Dragons defence napping on their try-line.

Sneyd made no mistake with the conversion again squaring the ledger at 18-all with 22 minutes to play.

Hull pressed hard for a a go-ahead try before Mann sealed the game for the Dragons five minutes from time after being re-injected into the match as a replacement for Widdop.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5234366/dufty-stars-in-dragons-trial-win/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons: Hunt looking to up ante against Souths
Dragons Den News
r0_0_2177_2997_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

MEASURED: New Dragons half Ben Hunt plans to build on a solid first-up display for his new club in this weekend's Charity Shield. Picture: AAP

DRAGONS half Ben Hunt will be looking for a more dominant display in this weekend’s Charity Shield after a measured first-up effort against Hull on Saturday.

The big-money recruit had some good touches in a 72-minute club debut but deferred the bulk of play-making efforts to skipper Gareth Widdop.

The 28-year-old said he’d been wary of over-playing his hand in his first hit-out, but will have no such concern against South Sydney at Mudgee this week.

“I sort of started a bit slow and felt my way into the game,” Hunt said post-match.

“I felt I was in a new side so I just tried to work my way into the game a bit rather than getting my hands on the ball and taking [on] the game.

“Going forward I need to be a bit different to that, I need to inject myself into the game straight away. I’m the halfback here and that’s what they need from me.

“Through this trial and hopefully next week I can start getting my hands on the ball a bit earlier. It’s something I need to work on and get myself into the game.

“[But] I was quite enjoying myself out there. It’s always fun to have your first hit-out and, being with a new team, it was really enjoyable.”

Hunt’s arrival at his new club was a belated one following last year’s World Cup.

It limited his time on the training paddock and Origin and Test utility said combinations will inevitably take some time to develop.

“It’s a tricky one. We’re working pretty hard at it, I can’t really say how long it’s going to take,” Hunt said.

“Coming into a completely new side I’ve got to work out how everyone plays so it’s going to take a little while.

“It’s going pretty quickly and everything we have been doing is moving along very fast but it’s going to take a few weeks to really work out how players play.

“It’s not just me and Gaz, I’ve got to learn how Cam [McInnes] likes to play, how [Matt] Dufty likes to play.

“I’ll have Friz [Tyson Frizell] on my edge, I need to learn how he’s going to play the game and even your forwards, you need to work out which guys get the quick play-the-balls for you so there’s a lot to it.”

Perhaps the most encouraging sign for Hunt was the ease with which he linked with fullback Matt Dufty.

The pair combined to lay on Jason Nightingale’ first-half try and caused the Hull defence no end of headaches on the right edge.

Having spent the latter part of his career with the Broncos alongside Darius Boyd, Hunt is well aware how much of a blessing it is to have a ball-playing No. 1.

“He’s a good little player Duft,” Hunt said.

“You give him the ball out the back with a tiny bit of room he’s going to make it into a lot of room.

“He’s got a lot of speed and he’s is really electric so the more times we can get the ball to him with space, it’s going to do some damage.

“It’s massive bonus when you’ve got such quality out the back on your plays. It definitely helps us [halves] for sure.

“You’ve just got to know when to get them the ball and they’ll do the rest.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5234524/hunt-looking-to-up-ante-against-souths/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
I need to take the reins, says Hunt
  • Local Sport
    r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

NRL halfback Ben Hunt says he needs to take the reins more after his first outing for the Dragons.
    After pulling on the Red V guernsey for the first time, Ben Hunt has vowed to take greater control of his new side.

The Australian playmaker had a promising outing in St George Illawarra's 24-18 win over English Super League side Hull FC in a pre-season friendly at ANZ Stadium on Saturday.

In his 70 minutes on the field, Hunt kicked well and went within centimetres of setting up tries for Tim Lafai and Jeremy Latimore with his boot.

However, he said he was guilty of taking a back seat to five-eighth Gareth Widdop.

"I started a bit slow, I think," Hunt said.

"I felt my way into the game. Going forward I need to be a bit different and inject myself into the game. I'm the halfback here.

"That's what they need and hopefully next week I can start getting my hands on the ball earlier."

Hunt and Widdop were both outshone by 22-year-old fullback Matt Dufty who looked classy and ensured he will start the year wearing the Dragon's No.1 jumper.

Hunt departed Brisbane after signing a five-year deal with the Dragons while Widdop and hooker Cameron McInnes are on contract until 2021, meaning Paul McGregor has stability in key positions for years to come.

Hunt said the Dragons' new-look spine was a work in progress and cautioned against expecting too much too soon.

"We're working pretty hard at it," Hunt said.

"I can't say how long it's going to take. We're working hard on everything.

"It's going to take a few weeks to work out how players play. You come into a completely new side and have to work out how everyone plays."

Hunt said he was generally unhappy with his side's first outing of the pre-season as they displayed plenty of ring rust.

"We were a bit sloppy, especially in the first half," he said.

"We made too many errors, gave away silly penalties. It wasn't good enough."

Australian Associated Press

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/5234473/i-need-to-take-the-reins-says-hunt/?cs=1633

getsmarty

Immortal
Dufty the fullback Dragons have lacked since Boyd
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 18 Feb 2018, 10:13 AM

Matt Dufty is being touted as the ball-playing fullback St George Illawarra Dragons have lacked since the days of Darius Boyd, and new halfback Ben Hunt believes he can develop a similar relationship with him to the one he enjoyed with the Brisbane Broncos skipper.

Dufty is set to replace Josh Dugan in the Dragons No.1 jersey after starring in Saturday night’s 24-18 defeat of Super League club Hull FC at ANZ Stadium, but he is a different type of fullback to his predecessor.

Whereas Dugan’s strength is his hard running from the back, especially when returning a kick, Dufty plays like a second five-eighth and can beat defences or create space for team-mates with his acceleration.

duftym-1821703.jpg

St George Illawarra fullback Matt Dufty. :copyright:Robb Cox/NRL Photos
The 22-year-old showed his speed as he ran more than 200 metres in 68 minutes and made two line breaks in the match against Hull to all but cement the Dragons No.1 jersey made vacant by Dugan's move to the Cronulla Sharks.

“I just wanted to come in and really attack this year and kind of make that spot my own, so that is what I tried to do,” Dufty said.

“I set up a good opportunity but I have still got next week to go [in the Charity Shield] and it is up to Mary [coach Paul McGregor] what he wants to do for round one and moving forward.

“Every game I get out there I am growing and I feel more comfortable, so hopefully this year I can keep [the jersey] and make it my own.”

Dufty made seven NRL appearances last season but the Hull match was the first time he had played with Hunt after the Test star joined the Dragons from the Broncos.

The pair combined regularly on the right side of the Dragons attack and both said they felt comfortable playing together.

“Me and Benny get on well and we have a good combination there, so it is forming nicely,” Dufty said.
“He is a pretty easy half to play off, he has got great skills and is a great passer so he has fitted in perfectly.”

Hunt, who played 72 minutes in his first appearance for the Dragons, said he had enjoyed playing with Dufty.

“He is a good little player, if you give him the ball with just a tiny bit of room out the back he is going to make it into a lot of room,” Hunt said.

“He has got a lot of speed, [he] is really electric so if we can give the ball to him in space he is going to do some damage.”

Asked about comparisons between Dufty and Boyd’s style of play, Hunt said having a ball playing fullback would boost the Dragons attack.

“It is a massive bonus when you have got such quality out the back on your plays and moving around,” he said. “You have just got to know when to get them the ball and they can do the rest.”

Meanwhile, Hunt said he was pleased to get his first game with the new club out of the way but vowed to get more involved next weekend against South Sydney Rabbitohs at Mudgee.

“I started a bit slow I think, I felt my way into the game and going forward I need to be a bit different to that,” he said.

“I need to inject myself into the game straight away. I am the halfback here and that is what they expect from me. I need to start getting my hands on the ball earlier.”

McGregor said forwards Tyson Frizell and Jack De Belin were expected to play next Saturday night against the Rabbitohs after sitting out the Hull match.

Dragons 24 - 18 Hull FC

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/18...awarra-dragons-have-lacked-since-darius-boyd/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2018: Widdop to bring World Cup mindset to new-look Dragons
Dragons Den News
r0_0_4456_3342_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

IN ACTION: Gareth Widdop at last year's World Cup. Picture: AAP

THINK less, run more. That’s the biggest lesson Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop has taken from England’s run to last year’s World Cup final.

Widdop was the NRL’s five-eighth of the year at club level, but took his game up a further notch when he shifted to fullback for his country.

The 28-year-old was arguably the player of the tournament in the No. 1 jumper after coach Wayne Bennett delivered a simple edict.

“I probably didn’t have much time to think about it, I just turned up one morning and they said ‘you’re playing fullback’,” Widdop said.

“When you’re playing fullback, you’re not stuck on one side, you’re not directing the team around. I didn’t have to think too much, I just went out there and played football.

“We had a big year [at the Dragons], we obviously didn’t play finals and it was a bit of a roller coaster. To get told ‘just go out there and play football’, I really enjoyed.

“It was a bit of refresher that if you think too much and you overthink, you’re never going to play as well. That’s the biggest thing I’ll take away, to not over-analyse things.

“Hopefully I can bring a bit of that confidence and what I learned from that tour to the Dragons.”

He’ll return to his regular No. 6 jumper at the Dragons, but he’s hopeful the arrival of Ben Hunt will allow him to keep that instinctive mindset.

It will also usher in an era of unprecedented stability at the club with the current spine all locked down on long-term deals.

Having played alongside seven different halfbacks in four seasons at the Dragons, Widdop said it’s a welcome change.

“It definitely helps, especially when you’re in the spine,” Widdop said.

“The last few years I’ve probably had six or seven different halfbacks so signing a halfback who’s going to be here for a few years is great.

“In the past we’ve had halfbacks chopping and changing, hookers in and out, so I’m hoping we’ve got stability there now and we can all work together to make sure we’re playing some good football.

“[Hunt] will take over a bit more of the direction and just let me roam around a little bit. Things won’t change too much, we’ve got a shape we like to play with and he’ll just fit into that and add to it where he can.”

England’s Cup campaign proved a welcome distraction, but Widdop said he certainly hasn’t forgotten the Dragons unceremonious exit from finals contention last season.

“It was certainly disappointing. You play this game to play finals, the last few years we haven’t been there,” he said.

“It’s not nice being on the lounge at home when the other teams are playing.

“We played some really good football but then when we were bad we were really bad. We lost some games that we should never have lost at the back end of the season.

“It really hurt because, when we were playing our best football, I believe we can match it with any team out there. We just didn’t give ourselves the opportunity to do that.

“All the boys here have got the fire in the belly to make sure we do everything possible to get there this year.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...orld-cup-mindset-to-new-look-dragons/?cs=3713

dragonssamy61

First Grade
McGregor's comments about Dufty
“He’s a nice age, he’s put on a bit of weight, his speed is his asset. He’s a bloke who can cover a lot of ground and go between both edges. When the ball goes long he can get across the back on the next shift."
Can anyone explain to me what he's talking about??

He can't explain it himself.
So I doubt anyone else can.

Dragons 2018: Widdop to bring World Cup mindset to new-look Dragons
Dragons Den News
r0_0_4456_3342_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

IN ACTION: Gareth Widdop at last year's World Cup. Picture: AAP

THINK less, run more. That’s the biggest lesson Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop has taken from England’s run to last year’s World Cup final.

Widdop was the NRL’s five-eighth of the year at club level, but took his game up a further notch when he shifted to fullback for his country.

The 28-year-old was arguably the player of the tournament in the No. 1 jumper after coach Wayne Bennett delivered a simple edict.

“I probably didn’t have much time to think about it, I just turned up one morning and they said ‘you’re playing fullback’,” Widdop said.

“When you’re playing fullback, you’re not stuck on one side, you’re not directing the team around. I didn’t have to think too much, I just went out there and played football.

“We had a big year [at the Dragons], we obviously didn’t play finals and it was a bit of a roller coaster. To get told ‘just go out there and play football’, I really enjoyed.

“It was a bit of refresher that if you think too much and you overthink, you’re never going to play as well. That’s the biggest thing I’ll take away, to not over-analyse things.

“Hopefully I can bring a bit of that confidence and what I learned from that tour to the Dragons.”

He’ll return to his regular No. 6 jumper at the Dragons, but he’s hopeful the arrival of Ben Hunt will allow him to keep that instinctive mindset.

It will also usher in an era of unprecedented stability at the club with the current spine all locked down on long-term deals.

Having played alongside seven different halfbacks in four seasons at the Dragons, Widdop said it’s a welcome change.

“It definitely helps, especially when you’re in the spine,” Widdop said.

“The last few years I’ve probably had six or seven different halfbacks so signing a halfback who’s going to be here for a few years is great.

“In the past we’ve had halfbacks chopping and changing, hookers in and out, so I’m hoping we’ve got stability there now and we can all work together to make sure we’re playing some good football.

“[Hunt] will take over a bit more of the direction and just let me roam around a little bit. Things won’t change too much, we’ve got a shape we like to play with and he’ll just fit into that and add to it where he can.”

England’s Cup campaign proved a welcome distraction, but Widdop said he certainly hasn’t forgotten the Dragons unceremonious exit from finals contention last season.

“It was certainly disappointing. You play this game to play finals, the last few years we haven’t been there,” he said.

“It’s not nice being on the lounge at home when the other teams are playing.

“We played some really good football but then when we were bad we were really bad. We lost some games that we should never have lost at the back end of the season.

“It really hurt because, when we were playing our best football, I believe we can match it with any team out there. We just didn’t give ourselves the opportunity to do that.

“All the boys here have got the fire in the belly to make sure we do everything possible to get there this year.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...orld-cup-mindset-to-new-look-dragons/?cs=3713
Another Illawarra Mercury journalistic masterpiece.
Widdop spins the same tripe as McGregor.
In the past we’ve had halfbacks chopping and changing, hookers in and out, so I’m hoping we’ve got stability there now and we can all work together to make sure we’re playing some good football."
Last year he played most games paired with McCrone at halfback.
McInnes played every single game at hooker..
We played some really good football but then when we were bad we were really bad. We lost some games that we should never have lost at the back end of the season
“It really hurt because, when we were playing our best football, I believe we can match it with any team out there. We just didn’t give ourselves the opportunity to do that."
Match it with Melbourne? Parramatta? Brisbane? He's kidding himself.​
We played some really good footy but got embarrassed so many times in 2016 and last year - time and time again.​
Somewhere along the line, we have to get real and have a long look in the mirror.​
Unless that happens, nothing is going to change.​