What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
Big name Dragons recruit Ben Hunt admits halves partnership with Gareth Widdop needs work
Dragons
  • February 18, 2018 11:32am
  • Source: AAP
MTkyMjAxODEyfGN4by5ifGh0dHBzOi8vY2RuLm5ld3NhcGkuY29tLmF1L2ltYWdlL3YxLzg5Y2E3OTdmNTQ2ZWFjMDFhOWFlZjMzOTNmODIzNTNkfDE5MjIwMTgxMg==

Ben Hunt wears a look of focus in his first run out with the Dragons.Source: Getty Images
AFTER pulling on the Red V guernsey for the first time, Ben Hunt has vowed to take greater control of his new side.

The Australian playmaker had a promising outing in St George Illawarra’s 24-18 win over English Super League side Hull FC in a pre-season friendly at ANZ Stadium on Saturday.

In his 70 minutes on the field, Hunt kicked well and went within centimetres of setting up tries for Tim Lafai and Jeremy Latimore with his boot.

MTkyMjAxODEyfGN4by5ifGh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmZveHNwb3J0cy5jb20uYXUvcG1kL2ltYWdlcy8yMDE4LzAyLzE3LzY2NTQxMl82NDB4MzYwX2xhcmdlXzIwMTgwMjE3MjEwNjMzLmpwZ3wxOTIyMDE4MTI=

New Dragons handle Hull

2:49
However, he said he was guilty of taking a back seat to five-eighth Gareth Widdop.

“I started a bit slow, I think,” Hunt said.

“I felt my way into the game. Going forward I need to be a bit different and inject myself into the game. I’m the halfback here.

“That’s what they need and hopefully next week I can start getting my hands on the ball earlier.”

Hunt and Widdop were both outshone by 22-year-old fullback Matt Dufty who looked classy and ensured he will start the year wearing the Dragon’s No.1 jumper.

MTkyMjAxODEyfGN4by5ifGh0dHBzOi8vY2RuLm5ld3NhcGkuY29tLmF1L2ltYWdlL3YxLzJjZWJkYjIwYzhkNTFlM2UwYjM2ZWZjOTZhYTg3Y2Y5fDE5MjIwMTgxMg==

Ben Hunt throws a pass in the Dragons’ trial win.Source: Getty Images
Hunt departed Brisbane after signing a five-year deal with the Dragons while Widdop and hooker Cameron McInnes are on contract until 2021, meaning Paul McGregor has stability in key positions for years to come.

Hunt said the Dragons’ new-look spine was a work in progress and cautioned against expecting too much too soon.

“We’re working pretty hard at it,” Hunt said. “I can’t say how long it’s going to take. We’re working hard on everything.

MTkyMjAxODEyfGN4by5ifGh0dHBzOi8vY2RuLm5ld3NhcGkuY29tLmF1L2ltYWdlL3YxL2JhMjA5ZTMyMzI4ZjE3ZjU2YzA4OWE0ZGM5YzhmNjkzfDE5MjIwMTgxMg==

Dragons fullback Matt Dufty was in good touch against Hull.Source: AAP
“It’s going to take a few weeks to work out how players play. You come into a completely new side and have to work out how everyone plays.”

Hunt said he was generally unhappy with his side’s first outing of the pre- season as they displayed plenty of ring rust.

“We were a bit sloppy, especially in the first half,” he said. “We made too many errors, gave away silly penalties. It wasn’t good enough.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k/news-story/265bcb12a77370fe2bce06cdc04de5ce

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons half Gareth Widdop says he needs to think less to produce best form
Send via Email

Think less, run more. That's the biggest lesson Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop has taken from England's run to last year's World Cup final.

Widdop was the NRL's five-eighth of the year at club level, but took his game up a further notch when he shifted to fullback for his country.

The 28-year-old was arguably the player of the tournament in the No.1 jumper after coach Wayne Bennett delivered a simple edict.

"I probably didn't have much time to think about it. I just turned up one morning and they said 'you're playing fullback'," Widdop said. "When you're playing fullback, you're not stuck on one side, you're not directing the team around. I didn't have to think too much. I just went out there and played football.

"We had a big year [at the Dragons], we obviously didn't play finals and it was a bit of a roller coaster. To get told 'just go out there and play football', I really enjoyed.

"It was a bit of refresher that if you think too much and you overthink, you're never going to play as well. That's the biggest thing I'll take away, to not over-analyse things.

"Hopefully I can bring a bit of that confidence and what I learned from that tour to the Dragons."

He'll return to his regular No. 6 jumper at the Dragons, but he's hopeful the arrival of Ben Hunt will allow him to keep that instinctive mindset.

It will also usher in an era of unprecedented stability at the club with the current spine all locked down on long-term deals.

Having played alongside seven different halfbacks in four seasons at the Dragons, Widdop said it's a welcome change.

"It definitely helps, especially when you're in the spine," Widdop said.

"The last few years I've probably had six or seven different halfbacks, so signing a halfback who's going to be here for a few years is great.

"In the past we've had halfbacks chopping and changing, hookers in and out, so I'm hoping we've got stability there now and we can all work together to make sure we're playing some good football.

"[Hunt] will take over a bit more of the direction and just let me roam around a little bit. Things won't change too much, we've got a shape we like to play with and he'll just fit into that and add to it where he can."

England's Cup campaign proved a welcome distraction, but Widdop said he certainly hasn't forgotten the Dragons unceremonious exit from finals contention last season.

"It was certainly disappointing. You play this game to play finals, the last few years we haven't been there," he said.

"It's not nice being on the lounge at home when the other teams are playing.

"We played some really good football but then when we were bad we were really bad. We lost some games that we should never have lost at the back end of the season.

"It really hurt because, when we were playing our best football, I believe we can match it with any team out there. We just didn't give ourselves the opportunity to do that.

"All the boys here have got the fire in the belly to make sure we do everything possible to get there this year."

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...ess-to-produce-best-form-20180219-h0wb9p.html

JDHD

Juniors
McGregor's comments about Dufty
“He’s a nice age, he’s put on a bit of weight, his speed is his asset. He’s a bloke who can cover a lot of ground and go between both edges. When the ball goes long he can get across the back on the next shift."
Can anyone explain to me what he's talking about??

He's young, fast and fit with a good passing game

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons set to visit the Central West
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 20 Feb 2018, 04:00 PM

The St George Illawarra Dragons will this week head to the Central West of New South Wales, visiting nine towns in the lead-up to the 2018 Westfund Charity Shield.

In the lead up to the 35th annual event, the Dragons will visit local schools and communities to promote rugby league, healthy lifestyles and wellbeing.

The Dragons today (Tuesday, February 20) commenced their 16 scheduled school visits following trips in Rylstone and Kandos, before moving on to Lithgow, Wallerawang, Dunedoo, Coolah, Cudgegong, Gulgong and Mudgee on Wednesday and Thursday.

The Dragons' foray out to the Central West will reach over 5200 students and culminate on Thursday afternoon, February 22 at Glen Willow Stadium with a rugby league festival for local children to attend.

Kids in attendance will not only get to participate in the scheduled rugby league clinic but also meet their favourite players from both the Dragons and Rabbitohs.

28312481_10155534160621731_748927055_o.jpg

St George Illawarra lock Jack de Belin said he and the squad were excited to get out to the Central West.

"Growing up in Cootamundra, I completely understand what it's like to grow up in the country and how excited these kids must be to meet NRL players and see the game," De Belin said.

"All the boys are looking forward to heading out there for a few days. It's our last match before we start the season so we'll all be ready to go."

The 2018 Westfund Charity Shield will kick-off at 7:30pm on Saturday, February 24 at Glen Willow Stadium.

Tickets to the 2018 Westfund Charity Shield are available to purchase here, while the Mudgee Faithful Red V Membership also remains on sale here.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/02/20/dragons-set-to-visit-the-central-west/

getsmarty

Immortal
dsc_0692.jpg

CLUB NEWS

Dragons partner with South Village, Kirrawee
Author
Timestamp
Tue 20 Feb 2018, 12:30 PM

St George Illawarra is proud to announce that South Village, Kirrawee have agreed to be the sleeve sponsor of the Dragons, and will appear on the playing jerseys for at least the 2018 NRL Telstra Premiership season, starting with this Saturday’s Charity Shield match in Mudgee.

South Village, Kirrawee is a new community being developed in Sydney's south, where a vibrant, integrated atmosphere will meet undeniable convenience and luxury.

South Village consists of 749 apartments with panoramic 360-degree views, idyllic parkland surrounds and a modern retail precinct.

"South Village, Kirrawee has been well supported by the St George and Illawarra community," Deicorp Managing Director Fouad Dieri said.

"In acknowledging that support, the opportunity to partner with the Dragons was an obvious choice."

Dragons CEO Peter Doust is delighted to welcome the iconic development into partnership with the Club for 2018.

"We have seen first hand what South Village, Kirrawee is all about, the apartments are fantastic and it is destined to become a landmark location. We are excited to partner with them and help raise awareness of their brand and development," Doust said.

“This partnership with South Village, Kirrawee is the final piece of apparel sponsorship for the Dragons playing kit in 2018, and everyone associated with the Dragons is excited about the club's prospects this season."

Stage one of the South Village, Kirrawee development is due for completion at the end of 2018. For further information – click here.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/02/20/dragons-partner-with-south-village-kirrawee/

getsmarty

Immortal

appskezzie-and-bremner-2018-h_675.jpg

Dragons' women's license application lodged

Author
Timestamp

The St George Illawarra Dragons have confirmed an application for a license to compete in the inaugural 2018 Women's Premiership was forwarded to the NRL as required by the end of last week.

December's announcement regarding the introduction of a women's competition saw the Dragons quickly establish an organisation-wide group, including key internal staff as well as current Jillaroos and Dragons ambassadors Sam Bremner and Kezie Apps, to develop the club's submission.

"The Dragons have been so supportive to women's rugby league as well as to Kezie and me," Bremner said.

"I played my first game of footy in the Illawarra competition and even before there was any talk of an NRL women's competition, the Dragons wanted to help us be the best athletes we could be.

"We really have our fingers crossed that the Dragons are successful with their proposal."

The Dragons have a strong history and association with the development of women's rugby league, dating back to the first game in the Illawarra region in 1991 between the Wollongong Wildcats and Dapto Daredevils.

"St George Illawarra and particularly Illawarra Rugby League have been instrumental in the development of interest in women's rugby league over many years now," Dragons CEO Peter Doust said following the announcement of the competition in December.

"Given the support and structure that we already have within our region for women's rugby league, we believe it is logical and appropriate that the Dragons are included."

The Dragons believe that we meet all of the required criteria – both logically and strategically – to be awarded a licence to compete in the inaugural women's competition.

It is expected that the Australian Rugby League Commission will announce the recipients of the women's competition licenses in late March.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/02/20/dragons-womens-license-application-lodged/

getsmarty

Immortal
Apps backs Dragons women’s NRL bid
Dragons Den News
r0_0_4134_2717_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

STRONG BACKING: Jillaroos star, and Dragons amabassador, Kezie Apps has added her voice to St George Illawarra's bid for inclusion in the inaugural NRL women's league. Picture: Dragons

JILLAROOS star Kezie Apps believes St George Illawarra’s bid for inclusion in the inaugural NRL women’s league is a “no-brainer” given the club’s efforts in growing the women’s game.

Submissions for inclusion in the new competition, expected to feature at least five teams, closed on Friday with the Dragons formalising their bid this week.

Apps began her league journey with Helensburgh in 2014, making a weekly 10-hour round trip from Bega to play in the Illawarra women’s competition.

She’s since risen through the ranks to earn NSW and Australian Test jumpers, along with a host of other Illawarra league alumni, and said the region deserves to represented on the elite stage.

“It’s awesome the club has put forward its interest,” Apps said.

“It’s one of the only clubs that have really supported the women’s game for a long, long time.

“I know how much work the club puts into trying to build from the grassroots around the Illawarra and up to the St George areas as well.

“They’ve been involved for a long time so I had no doubt the Dragons would be one of the first teams to put their hand up to say they wanted a women’s side.

“Being a Dragons ambassador I’ve seen what the club actually does in the community and in growing female participation so it was a no-brainer they’d do it. Hopefully [the bid] will be successful.”

Confirmation the NRL would launch a women’s league came hot on the heels of last year’s successful Women’s World Cup, but Apps admits she had thought it may be a number of years away.

“I thought is was maybe another two years down the track before it would happen,” she said.

“It’s great for girls like myself and some others who’ve been around for a little while that we actually get to experience the NRL series and be a part of the inaugural women’s competition.

“I wasn’t sure I’d still be around playing when it all came together so I’m really glad it’s here now and I’m really excited for everything to start happening.

“It’s a bit of a step into the unknown as well so it’s a little bit scary but exciting at the same time knowing we’re going to be making history again in another aspect of the women’s game.”

The competition is tipped to be held over 4-6 weeks in conjunction with the NRL finals series.

Up to six licenses are on offer with the Broncos, Sharks, Rabbitohs and Roosters all declaring their push for inclusion.

Apps is confident the game has developed enough to feed the required talent into the new elite league.

“I know we have the depth for it,” Apps said.

“There’s girls coming in from the [under 18s] Tarsha Gale Cup who could play in the opens.

“I know their skills and abilities have increased a lot in the last year or two and I’ve got no doubt they’ll take that opportunity.

“That was the idea with those competitions to have that pathway and to have a goal to aim for.

“Hopefully, seeing they have something to strive for, we get more girls wanting to play rugby league instead of AFL, soccer or cricket and the other women’s sports going great guns at the moment.”

How talent will be dispersed among clubs is yet to be confirmed but Apps – widely regarded as the best forward in the game – has her heart set on pulling on the red v.

“I’ll be forever grateful What the Dragons have done for me personally,” she said.

“It’s such a great club, I love what they do in the community and through schools. I love being a part of that so I’d love to play for the Dragons.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5237563/apps-backs-dragons-womens-nrl-bid/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Thompson seeks career security at Manly
16x9_small

Manly recruit Joel Thompson is excited to be joining the club he supported in his youth. (AAP)

Joel Thompson says the security of a multi-year NRL contract was the catalyst behind his move from St George Illawarra to Manly.

Updated Updated 13 hours ago

Joel Thompson has taken a subtle dig at St George Illawarra but emphasised he harbours no ill feelings towards his former NRL club.

Thompson will run out in Manly colours for the first time in Saturday night's trial against Sydney Roosters on the Central Coast.

The 29-year-old back-rower was signed to the Dragons for 2018 but a two-year contract offer from Sea Eagles coach Trent Barrett was too good to refuse as he prepares to enter the twilight of his career.

Thompson said the security of the extra year offered by Manly prompted him to seek a release.

Asked if he felt like he was unwanted at the Dragons, Thompson said: "I thought I deserved that extra year for what I did on the field but I understood their position.

"I've been around footy long enough. They've got some great young guys coming through.

"We were honest throughout all the conversations. I respect their decision.

"Do I agree with it? Probably not. But that's footy and we left on good terms."

The central NSW product was signed by Manly despite the prospect of sanctions for alleged salary cap breaches hanging over the club.

Thompson said it was hard to uproot his family and move to his third club in six seasons but the security of a multi-year deal gave him piece of mind.

"To be totally honest, Manly offered me another year on my contract," Thompson said.

"I grew up supporting Manly and I like the squad they've got here and what they're doing. I wanted to be a part of it.

"It gave me a bit of security, I'm not young anymore, I'll take what I can get."

Source: AAP

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/thompson-seeks-career-security-at-manly

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
dsc_0692.jpg

CLUB NEWS

Dragons partner with South Village, Kirrawee
Author
Timestamp

St George Illawarra is proud to announce that South Village, Kirrawee have agreed to be the sleeve sponsor of the Dragons, and will appear on the playing jerseys for at least the 2018 NRL Telstra Premiership season, starting with this Saturday’s Charity Shield match in Mudgee.

South Village, Kirrawee is a new community being developed in Sydney's south, where a vibrant, integrated atmosphere will meet undeniable convenience and luxury.

South Village consists of 749 apartments with panoramic 360-degree views, idyllic parkland surrounds and a modern retail precinct.

"South Village, Kirrawee has been well supported by the St George and Illawarra community," Deicorp Managing Director Fouad Dieri said.

"In acknowledging that support, the opportunity to partner with the Dragons was an obvious choice."

Dragons CEO Peter Doust is delighted to welcome the iconic development into partnership with the Club for 2018.

"We have seen first hand what South Village, Kirrawee is all about, the apartments are fantastic and it is destined to become a landmark location. We are excited to partner with them and help raise awareness of their brand and development," Doust said.

“This partnership with South Village, Kirrawee is the final piece of apparel sponsorship for the Dragons playing kit in 2018, and everyone associated with the Dragons is excited about the club's prospects this season."

Stage one of the South Village, Kirrawee development is due for completion at the end of 2018. For further information – click here.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/02/20/dragons-partner-with-south-village-kirrawee/

Is there any white left on the jumper?

The all new 2018 Dragons jumper. Brought to you by ..............
( There were no animals hurt in the making of this commercial )

2018 Dragons Jumper.jpg

getsmarty

Immortal
Jack de Belin aiming for another explosive start to the season for St George Illawarra Dragons ahead of Charity Shield
  • Dragon's Den
    r0_181_4784_2881_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Game face: Dragons forward Jack de Belin wants St George Illawarra to repeat their strong start to last season. Picture: Chris Lane

• Jack de Belin is hoping another mammoth pre-season will provide a similarly explosive start to St George Illawarra’s 2018 campaign – but potentially at the expense of trial form.

The Dragons take on South Sydney in their traditional Charity Shield fixture in Mudgee on Saturday night with St George Illawarra looking to win back the trophy that Souths have held since 2013.

St George Illawarra have undergone a tough pre-season regime, similar to the one they completed prior to 2017 when Nathan Pickworth took over from longtime performance head Tony Ayoub as head of performance and medical science.

The Dragons were slow out of the blocks in pre-season matches last season, including a sluggish showing in their 32-14 Charity Shield loss to Souths.

But de Belin told the Leader while better trial results were desirable, he was hopeful of a similar round one performance against Brisbane at Kogarah as they had last season.

“We did perform pretty poorly in our trials [last season],” he said.

r0_0_1200_675_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Jack de Belin in action at Jubilee Oval last season. Picture: Chris Lane

“It wasn’t that good and everyone felt pretty flat and a bit sluggish but we’d had a massive pre-season. This one is the same as well. The bodies are getting to that point where we’re kind of over-training.

“Hopefully it has the same effect as it did last season where come round one we’re just ready to fire. As you could see we were at another level to Penrith [in round one] last year.”

It wasn’t that good and everyone felt pretty flat and a bit sluggish but we’d had a massive pre-season.

Jack de Belin on the Dragons' 2017 pre-season form
    The mood in the Dragons’ camp is optimistic as the club looks to reach the semi-finals for the first time since 2015. A pair of high profile signings in James Graham and Ben Hunt has the squad upbeat with two weeks until the start of the season.

“The new boys are going well. James Graham is a great old head to have around. He’s a savvy veteran, he knows what needs to be done. He’s a great leader as well, I think he’ll be really good for us middle forwards,” de Belin said.

“And Ben Hunt he’s going to be great for us I think. A big signing, playing alongside Gareth Widdop and I think he’s going to have a big year.

“The mood is good. It’s pretty uplifting and upbeat. It’s time to start playing footy.”

Kick-off at the Glenn Willow Regional Sports Centre, Mudgee is at 7.30pm.

• http://www.theleader.com.au/story/5...losive-start-ahead-of-charity-shield/?cs=3833

getsmarty

Immortal
Halves headaches: Five most intriguing combinations for 2018 NRL season
NRL Premiership
MjEyMjAxODR8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWRpYS5mb3hzcG9ydHMuY29tLmF1L2FydGljbGUvaGVhZHNob3RzL25hdGhhbl9yeWFuLmpwZ3wyMTIyMDE4NA==

MjEyMjAxODR8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvNjdlZDk2ZTliNzg5ZjMzZjVkMGJkMTFjMjE2NDA5NGR8MjEyMjAxODQ=

New halves pairings for 2018.Source: FOX SPORTS
FIVE halves pairings and five potential headaches.

The 2018 season is two weeks away but there’s so many questions left unanswered.

With a pre-season for new recruits to settle in and work on their fresh combinations, it’s almost time for the rosters to deliver on their potential.

We’ve taken a comb to the halves to examine the pairings and what it’ll take for them to fire.

These are our five most intriguing combinations ahead of the 2018 season.

ROOSTERS: CRONK AND KEARY

Strengths: It doesn’t take a genius to realise these players will complement each other. Styles make partnerships and these men have complementary skills.

Luke Keary is a runner, while Cooper Cronk is the architect who will steer the ship. Keary is a player who thrives off playing off the back of momentum.

With Cronk at first receiver, Cronk will have control just like Mitchell Pearce did before him and the No.6 will pick his spots from there.

Aside from implementing the game plan, their kicking attributes will also complement each other. Cronk has the longer kicking game, while Keary has a great short kick at the line.

Fall-backs: Building a partnership takes time. While Keary and Jake Friend remain at the club, James Tedesco and Cronk are new recruits and none of the foursome has ever played with each other.

Due to Keary’s broken jaw, they won’t be able to trial together either.

“Combinations might take a while to form there with the players around him,” assistant coach Andrew Johns said.

“When they do, they’re going to be a dangerous team. Be patient, Roosters fans. It may take a while for them to gel but when they do it’s going to be a dangerous team.”

There’s a lot of pressure on Friend in this circumstance. While the No.9 is a workhorse, he’s a stand and deliver passer, something Cronk isn’t use to.

MjEyMjAxODR8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvZmZmZGYxM2RjNDE3NmMwMjhjNTY3OWJmNWVmN2I4ZDd8MjEyMjAxODQ=

Cooper Cronk of the Roosters looks on.Source: Getty Images
Having played with the greatest hooker of all-time in Cameron Smith, Cronk is use to his rake engaging the markers and adding a further creative threat. How this dynamic impacts Cronk’s game will have a huge bearing on the success of the spine.

The key to success: Cohesion. It all comes down to personalities and how they dominate a game. Fortunately for Trent Robinson, his halves are like-minded players.

Neither man gets overwrought having played in big games. Both are premiership winners and understand what it takes to win big games. That’s why the Roosters were so eager to extend the contract of Keary after signing Cronk.

While the fans haven’t seen this side to Keary’s personality, he’s similar to Cronk in the sense he lives football and enjoys breaking down plays.

Strengths: Chad Townsend was handed the keys to the team a few years back and thrived in the role. This is perfect for Matt Moylan who can play to his strengths as a damaging runner.

With Townsend playing as a traditional first-receiver, Moylan will be free to appear where and when he wants with Shane Flanagan keen for the halves to play both sides of the ruck.

With a licence to roam both sides of the field, Moylan will be able to play a similar role to when he was at fullback with Penrith.

Fall-backs: The biggest unknown is how long it will take for Moylan to understand the dynamic of their team, knowing where to be and when to be dominant. You can get away with being less vocal at fullback but he’ll need to find his voice in the halves.

How dominant he wants to be is intriguing. Staying in a game for 80 minutes as a half isn’t easy but Moylan’s under no illusions he faces some challenges as he continues to adjust to life in the halves.

“Defence is one,” Moylan told Fox Sports when asked what he needs to work on.

“I’m going to see a lot more traffic there. Being over all the players and being real direct with my ball playing and making sure I’m taking the right option for the team.”

The key to success: Both halves have some defensive deficiencies. Keep in mind, Moylan hasn’t defended in the front line for long. Fatigue will be sure to become a factor with teams sending traffic at him on repeat efforts. Fortunately he’ll defend alongside Wade Graham who did a phenomenal job of taking care of James Maloney during his time in the shire.

STORM: CROFT AND MUNSTER

Strengths: Cameron Munster has experienced success and top flight football at a young age.

A player who oozes confidence, he’s a natural runner of the game and will compliment Croft’s style.

Croft has been able to get his education through a quality system where the team will play a similar style to that they played with Cronk.

The Storm will continue their halves structure with Munster posted on the left and Croft on the right.

Fall-backs: Croft is 20 with six games to his name. Does he have the experience to run the length of a season?

That’s the question. It was a fear Penrith had with Nathan Cleary last year but the youngster proved his body could handle the load. The Storm are hopeful Croft can do the same but are still asking the same questions.

“The challenge for Brodie now is when we get into that grind, the week in week out intensity of the NRL, being able to perform like that every week,” Smith said.

Will they handle the intensity of the competition without Cronk steering the ship?

The key to success: The added workload and defence of Croft. There were games where Croft was exposed in defence while playing for the Sunny Coast. It’s something the club are serious about him getting right. Craig Bellamy doesn’t accept deficiencies in his teams.

DRAGONS: HUNT AND WIDDOP

MjEyMjAxODR8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZm94c3BvcnRzLmNvbS5hdS9wbWQvaW1hZ2VzLzIwMTgvMDIvMTcvNjY1NDEyXzY0MHgzNjBfbGFyZ2VfMjAxODAyMTcyMTA2MzMuanBnfDIxMjIwMTg0

New Dragons handle Hull

2:49
Strengths: The Red V has a general. Ben Hunt was signed on as the man to bring them direction. It’s something the team has lacked for several seasons.

The arrival of Hunt means Gareth Widdop can play a similar role to what he had with Cooper Cronk in Melbourne. Widdop is at his damaging best as a floating five-eighth.

When he’s playing what he sees and challenging the line, Widdop is at the top of the premier No.6s in the game.

Finally they have two halves with experience but a key figure to these two is how Cameron McInnes performs at hooker.

The No.9 is caught somewhere between a Jake Friend and Cameron Smith style of player. He’s advantageous with the ball without being a legitimate game changer.

If McInnes can continue to challenge the markers, his halves are set for a huge season.

MjEyMjAxODR8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvODFmOWU1MTM3MTAzYTkzMDJjMTI3NDEyZWE3Mzg2YjJ8MjEyMjAxODQ=

Ben Hunt of the Dragons in action.Source: AAP
Fall-backs: Does Hunt have the ability to run a game plan?

Many will argue Hunt has never closed a big game. Still, he’s arrived in Wollongong as their main man but there’s no cooling off period. He’ll be forced to stand up in that role and deliver. If he doesn’t, you’ll see Widdop move away from his natural game.

Previously when the Dragons have lacked direction, Widdop has assumed the role of leader which takes away from his game.

So who will McInnes give the ball to when the Dragons are at the line in a clutch moment? When that time comes, that decision will tell us just who has the dominant call.

The key to success: It’s a very exciting time for the joint venture. They have the blend of youth, experience, ball playing and speed. It’s the mix of the spine that will make or break their season.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/a7a84024a4f5cb878c78dd8083328415

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL 2018: Tyson Frizell weighs in on hole in Dragons’ forward pack
Dragons
MjEyMjAxODV8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWRpYS5mb3hzcG9ydHMuY29tLmF1L2FydGljbGUvaGVhZHNob3RzL2pvaG5fZGVhbi5qcGd8MjEyMjAxODU=

MjEyMjAxODV8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvMThiOTk1ZjYyMGZlZDNmZmMwZjUwNmJkZTE4OGZmMGJ8MjEyMjAxODU=

St George Illawarra Dragons star forward Tyson Frizell.Source: News Corp Australia
WHILE much of the attention on St George Illawarra has surrounded their high profile recruits and the battle for fullback, there’s another contentious spot which needs to be filled.

As Ben Hunt and James Graham settle in to life at the Dragons, and Matt Dufty appears to have claimed the No.1 jersey, there’s a sizeable hole that’s been left in the forward pack following the departure of fan favourite Joel Thompson to Manly.

According to Australia and NSW star Tyson Frizell, it’s still very much a race in three to determine who will partner him in the back row come the Red V’s season opener against Brisbane.

“It is a bit up in the air at the moment for that spot,” Frizell told foxsports.com.au at Fox League’s season launch.

“Tariq’s played on both edges last year and he was playing good footy towards the back end.

“We’ve got guys like Luciano Leilua and Jacob Host there who have played first grade and have had great pre-seasons.

“I’m not too sure what Mary’s looking to do, but I’m happy for any of those boys to step into that role and fill Joel Thompson’s spot. He was such a massive part for us on that left edge.

“We need to find someone who can play long minutes there and do the amount of work that Joel used to do, and compliment Gareth (Widdop).”

MjEyMjAxODV8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvNzM0M2FjNGQ3MzkzN2ZmNTkwMzQwMmM1MjNmYTlhM2R8MjEyMjAxODU=

Tariq Sims of the Dragons in action.Source: AAP
Frizell sat out of last Saturday’s trial against Hull FC, which left Sims and Leilua to start.

While Sims churned out more impressive numbers — 89 metres from 11 runs, two tackle busts and a linebreak — versus Leilua’s 63 metres from eight runs, Frizell said the young gun was a genuine chance to snare the starting role.

“It’s been a massive pre-season for him,” Frizell said of Leilua.

“He missed out on playing (NRL) last year, but he’s changed things up this time around.

“He’s put in a lot of hard work to put himself in the best position to get a spot. He played a pretty good game on the weekend too.”

MjEyMjAxODV8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvOGU3YjIyNDExMmI2ZjM2NTBjZjlmYWQxOGJlN2MzMTJ8MjEyMjAxODU=

Luciano Leilua at Dragons training. Picture: Brett CostelloSource: News Corp Australia
Frizell will play his first game of the year in Saturday’s Charity Shield against South Sydney, with Sims, Leilua and Host all named in a strong 23-man squad.

The powerhouse forward assured fans his absence from last week’s game was nothing to be worried about following a gruelling 2017 campaign which ended with a World Cup victory.

“I just needed another week under my belt of some quality training,” he said.

“The body’s nice and fresh after a break after the World Cup.

“I’m mentally and physically fresh, and I’m looking forward to playing some footy again.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k=11d583b82133cdcbb575bf1f23f907b0-1519189519

getsmarty

Immortal
Three victories for Illawarra Steelers against South Sydney Rabbitohs at Redfern Oval
  • Dragons Den News
    r0_0_621_678_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Successful weekend: Albion Park's Jack Walsh. Picture: Allan Barry.

It was a successful round two for the Illawarra Steelers junior representative sides at the weekend, with all teams defeating rivals South Sydney at Redfern Oval on Saturday.

The first team to take the field was the Steelers Harold Matthews side. Behind tries from Riley Wooden (two), Jordan Karakousis (two), Tyrone Roberts and Talatau Amone, as well as goals from Tyrone Roberts (three) and Talatau Amone (one), the Steelers ran out winners 34-16.

Next up was the Tarsha Gale Cup competition and the women were never troubled, winning 50-20. Keeley Davis (two), Maddison Weatherall (two), Mikalya Kidd (two), Rhiannon Brown, Emily Andrews, Chantelle Newman and Abby Holmes all scored four-pointers.

The final match of the day saw the Jono Dallas and Matt O’Brien coached SG Ball side defeat Souths 26-14.

The side, made it two wins from as many starts behind tries from Jayden Sullivan (two), Zach Herring, Jack Walsh and Mathew Feagai.
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5241423/steelers-storm-past-souths/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal

grahamj-1821702.jpg

Dragons' added bonus in signing Graham

Author
Dan Walsh
Timestamp
Wed 21 Feb 2018, 08:00 PM

James Graham isn't wearing the captain's armband and says suggestions of picking up the coach's clipboard are premature, but not necessarily wide of the mark.

But in just six weeks the star recruit is already proving himself a second skipper to Gareth Widdop and unofficial coaching assistant at the St George Illawarra Dragons.

Graham has clarified reports suggesting his Dragons deal – until the end of 2020 with the final season an option in his favour – would be supplemented by another two years in a coaching role.

A move into the coach's box was discussed briefly during negotiations, but "there's nothing on paper" about the 32-year-old's post-playing career.

"We had some discussions about potentially (coaching) but that can be misconstrued so easily," Graham said.

"I've thought about (coaching). I'd love to stay in the game. It's all I've known since I came out of high school at 16, 17.

"I'd love to stay in this game and part of me would love to go on and test myself in a different avenue.

"I'd love to give back to this game that has given me so much but after all this I don't know. I'm only early 30s so we'll have to see."

The evolution of McGregor's coaching style

The Dragons knew they were getting a leader of rare calibre when they lined up the big Brit last year, with head of recruitment Ian Millward doubling as Graham's first senior coach in another lifetime.

As coach at St Helens in 2003, Millward handed a 17-year-old flame-haired scouser his Super League debut, and Graham duly threw the kitchen sink into everything he did in the game for the next 15 years.

"He's always been a very talented front-rower with a lot of passion and enthusiasm," Millward told NRL.com.

"That's the biggest thing I've noticed, that passion and enthusiasm, it's still no different to the 18-year-old I coached in England.

"The only thing that's changed is his composure as a person, and with the experience he's accumulated he's very generous with his time and advice."

When Graham plumped for the red and white once more after six seasons at Belmore, Millward's early influence proved pivotal.

Since arriving at the Dragons Graham has cracked the whip as expected, driving the likes of Blake Lawrie and Tariq Sims to personal bests in a beep test, screaming away in that famous Liverpool accent for them to keep pushing on his first day at the club.

The work ethic Graham puts down to Millward's coaching all those years ago is now combined with a willingness to mentor in the same fashion.

That passion and enthusiasm, it's still no different to the 18-year-old I coached in England.

Ian Millward on James Graham
Paul McGregor is also suitably impressed with Graham's "very good footy IQ", but understandably the Dragons are reluctant to talk him up as a coach-in-waiting having just forked out for three playing years from the Englishman.

In the meantime, Widdop will lead the side as Graham settles into his new digs and McGregor will coach as per usual – with a helping hand on both fronts.

"Young guys like Blake Lawrie and Josh Kerr, Jimmy's been very helpful for them in a short time already," Millward said.

"The players feel calm with him because there's no barriers with James and he can talk to anyone, and that's the bloke I knew in England.

"It's not always the visible things that can make a coach, it's very tough on your family and is a huge commitment. I wouldn't want to label anyone as a coach in waiting.

"But players are very comfortable around him and they're comfortable asking a question of him, knowing that they'll get a caring response.

"That's the biggest thing because it can be hard for young players, it can be intimidating with a senior player.

"But James looks back on everything he does through his first experiences in footy. He's very open with the help he got as a young guy and he's very conscious about being the same kind of senior player."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/21/st-george-illawarra-dragons-added-bonus-in-signing-james-graham/

getsmarty

Immortal
KICKOFF: Graham arrival one for true believers
Dragons Den News
r0_276_5315_3266_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

St George Illawarra player James Graham.Picture John Veage
A DECADE ago the Panthers gym, tucked away under the western grandstand at Penrith Park, wasn’t all that flash.

It wasn’t dark ages, but it certainly wasn’t the Centre of Excellence the club boasts today. It had all the latest cardio equipment – rowers, tread mills, stationary bikes, elllipticals.

There was also an ancient looking stepper that looked more suited to a council pick-up pile than an NRL gym. It went completely untouched

In the early months of preseason when skin folds are a major focus, those cardio machines are always occupied for pre-training ‘extras’. All except that stepper.

Then, in the summer of 2007, Petero Civoniceva arrived. He walked into the gym and went straight to that stepper for his extras. He worked away for half an hour and then went outside for training.

It seemed pretty innocuous but, after that day, that stepper never went lonely again. You wanted it, you had to get in line. ‘If it’s good enough for Petero, it’s good enough for me’ was the prevailing sentiment.

Petero probably didn’t think much of it. He was just going about his business, but everyone was watching. He had ‘presence’. He led without even trying just by virtue of his character and experience.

For the Panthers, it was something that had been decidedly lacking. For many, it was strange to watch Petero run around in anything other than a Bronocs jumper, but his arrival injected belief.

For Petero, the shift gave a man with nothing left to prove the drive to do just that all over again.

There are plenty of parallels between Civoniceva’s arrival in Penrith and that of James Graham in Wollongong this season. He was the heart and soul of Bulldogs and, like Petero at Brisbane, most of us thought he’d never depart Belmore.

Always a realist, Graham told Kickofff earlier this preseason that he was always awake to that possibility.

His preseason has been short due to the World Cup but, as any number of Dragons players will tell you, he’s made a difference merely by his presence.

His absolute best football may be behind him (it very well may not be) but his impact is not restricted to game day.

The Dragons have made just one finals appearance in six seasons. In that time, Graham has played 19 Test matches, 11 finals matches and two grand finals.

That resume injects belief into club that has sorely lacked it. Those late-season jitters were enough to see them wobble off the finals tightrope last season.

A look at their roster, at for and against, at virtually everything other than wins and losses showed they had the tools to be a finals side – the belief just wasn’t there.

The addition of Graham, might just be enough to finally get them over the line.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...raham-arrival-one-for-true-believers/?cs=3713

Latest posts