What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

Lots of St.George juniors in this squad including Leilua, Dufty, Host, Sele, Isaac Thompson

Seems to me the junior nursery production line is strong on both sides of the JV

getsmarty

Immortal
Millward: Retention Of Host
Tue 17th January, 05:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward provides insight into the recent retention of second-rower Jacob Host.

The local Renown United junior has played eight NRL games to date and agreed to terms on a further three seasons, until at least the end of 2020 on Tuesday.

Host, alongside recently re-signed St George local juniors Luciano Leilua (Hurstville United), Matt Dufty (Penshurst RSL) and Hame Sele (Kingsgrove Colts) are all graduates of the Dragons National Youth Competition team.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/01/17/millward_retention_o.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Sims determined to recapture form which put him in Origin frame

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

12 Jan 2017, 4:40 p.m.
r0_0_4326_2432_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

DRIVE: Tariq Sims at preseason training. Picture: Adam McLean

ST GEORGE Illawarra forward Tariq Sims is confident a shift to the middle of the field can help him recapture the form that took him to the cusp to NSW Origin selection before injuries put the hand-brake on his career.

The five-time Country Origin representative has long been on the radar of representative selectors since bursting on to the scene with North Queensland in 2011 only to suffer a number of injury setbacks – including twice breaking his leg in the space of 12 months.

“There’s been some dark days I’m not going to lie,” Sims says of his early-career injury woes

“But I’m lucky I’ve got a great support network around me. My family’s been great and my wife’s been my major supporter and the drive to want to win and play football for my family, my kids and my teammates...they’re the last people you want to let down, so that’s always been there.”

Injury and suspension also hampered his time at Newcastle where he was ultimately let go a half a season early after signing a three-year deal with the Dragons.

The early departure saw the 26-year-old cop some criticism from the Knights faithful, even prompted coach Nathan Brown to leap to his defence, but Sims has only good things to say about his time at the club.

“There’s no frustration, I thoroughly enjoyed my time there,” Sims said.

“I loved every second I was there. Unfortunately the beauty and the beast in this game is what happened. I moved down on the Wednesday and was playing the Saturday night [round 15] for the team so it was full throttle.

“When we finished up the season I had ankle surgery and had to get that right and then I went over to WA and got married so, it’s been a crazy, hectic last two- three months but I honestly wouldn’t have it any other way.

“I’m fully focused on the Dragons now and excited to get through this preseason get stuck into the trial matches and roll our sleeves up for round one.”

That includes a shift to the engine room this year as coach Paul McGregor looks to juggle an embarrassment off riches up front that includes NSW Origin star Tyson Frizell and Country representatives Paul Vaughan, Jack de Belin and Joel Thompson.

It means Sims could well be competing with some club teammates to earn that elusive blue jumper but it’s a situation he expects to bring out the best in him.

“At the moment I’m preparing to play in the middle,” Sims said.

“I played 99 games at [edge] back row and that’s not something you forget overnight. If I’m called upon I know I can do a job there but I’m very excited about learning my new position which is a roving lock or middle player.

“I’m constantly testing myself every day here coming into preseason when you look at the cattle we have here, the de Belin's the Paul Vaughan’s the Frizell’s the Thompson’s and that sort of stuff.

“The competition and the drive to want to win, and the young blokes who are coming through is pretty refreshing. I’m one of the most competitive people you’ll ever come across and we’re having some really good tussles out there.

“Hopefully that can help me sharpen my tools and make sure I’m ready if Loz [Laurie Daley] does call.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...e-form-which-put-him-in-origin-frame/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
McCarthy: Best Foot Forward
Wed 18th January, 05:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons forward Tyrone McCarthy is keen to put his best foot forward in the Club’s upcoming trial fixtures.

The Ireland international, now in his second season with the Dragons, admits he is happy to cause selection headaches for the coaching staff by putting in some solid performances this pre-season.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/01/18/mccarthy_.html

Dragsters

First Grade
NRL 2017: St George Illawarra stars Gareth Widdop and Josh Dugan dissect the Dragons’ attack

IT’S been called dire, dour and boring.

A lot has been made of St George Illawarra’s attack over recent seasons, but in 2016, that criticism went to a new level.

In the 24 matches they played, the team totalled 341 points — that’s 14.2 points per game and only just better than the 12.7 wooden spooners Newcastle were averaging.

Foxsports.com.au sat down with a couple of key players in five-eighth Gareth Widdop and fullback Josh Dugan to find out where it went wrong and what’s being done to rectify it.

WHAT WENT WRONG

Dragons’ attack looked incredibly rigid and predictable for much of 2016.

Too often they’d chance their arm in the dying stages of a game — when the result was out of reach — and ended up actually troubling the opposition’s defence.

“We probably needed to play more instinctive football,” Widdop said.

“It was more about finding a role and sticking to it. We were probably too inconsistent in doing that.

“I think last year with myself and Benji (Marshall) we were both dominant players and it probably didn’t work out as well as we wanted it to.

“With injuries we never had a strong halves combination, there was always swapping and changing and that doesn’t help your attack.”

32f06dbf3b7cb6cb4936bd4962d77b67

Gareth Widdop and Benji Marshall were the Dragons halves in 2016. Picture: Gregg PorteousSource:News Corp Australia
While Widdop doesn’t believe the added responsibility of being captain created unnecessary pressure, he does admit the role sometimes took his mind off the main job at hand.

“Being captain, I thought I had to worry about everyone else rather than myself personally,” he said.

“It probably just got away from me a bit, the way I needed to play and was worrying about everyone else.

“I suppose you could say [it did get to me] a little bit, but it’s all part of learning about being a captain.”

HOW ARE THEY FIXING IT?

Well if Dugan’s comments are anything to go by, the revamp of the attack is a closely guarded secret.

“I don’t want to give away too much,” the NSW star said.

“(The attack) has changed a bit and we’re going to be working on that the next three of four weeks before we get into the trials.”

Widdop believed the Dragons have to find their own style of attack which compliments their players.

999228e1df265b60de37c2b5c8458513

Gareth Widdop in action for the Dragons. Picture: Mark EvansSource: News Corp Australia
“We’ve brought in new staff this year and it’s certainly going to change things up,” he said. “It’s been positive at training.

“When things don’t work you have to look at ways to improve things.

“Last year was a big lesson for us and hopefully we can come up with something that suits the team we are.

“Every team is different and play different ways and if we find ways that as the Dragons want to play, we’ve got some great talent in our squad to help us.”

WHO WILL PLAY HALFBACK?

The Dragons playmaking plans were thrown into disarray before Christmas when young gun Drew Hutchison broke down at training with a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament.

“I actually went in on the day that he did it,” Dugan said.

“The poor bloke was devastated and we were all devastated for him because it was looking like he was going to get first crack at halfback.

“It’s sort of thrown a spanner in the works but we’ve got some worthy replacements.”

The Dragons have been linked to the likes of former NRL players Todd Carney and Chris Sandow, but the club have stuck to their guns stating they intend to look within their squad for a replacement.

That means former Raider Josh McCrone, utility Kurt Mann, Illawarra Cutters playmaker Shaun Nona and young gun Jai Field are left to battle it out for the No. 7 jersey.

Dugan has backed McCrone to start the year.

“I think with Josh (after) playing a bit last year,” he said. “He’s been in the system a little while longer than Shaun and Jai, although Jai knows the system and the structure being a local junior.

“But just that experience, and he’s got that old head on him so I think if we’re going to go forward, I think he’ll get first crack.”

ff7c6157fe5338fb90c960eda4d0248f

Josh McCrone is tipped to be the Dragons’ halfback in round one. Picture: Gregg PorteousSource: News Corp Australia
Widdop said he didn’t mind which contender got the job, and he would even consider moving to halfback if it helped the halves chemistry.

“Whatever the coach feels is best for the team, I’m happy to play wherever,” he said.

“If they want me to play halfback, I’ll play halfback.

“It’ll come down to who we’ve got on the field that will decide the role they want me to play.”

THE FULLBACK ROLE

With Dugan possessing the ability to play both fullback and centre, there is a question about where he best fits into the Dragons line up, particularly with rising star Matt Dufty coming through the ranks.

78347e77b98f17b5281ef3e36879f521

Rising star Matt Dufty. Picture: Gregg PorteousSource: News Corp Australia
Dugan played over half of the 2014 season in the centres and started last season in the same role before shifting back to fullback where he remained.

While he’s had great success at Origin and international level playing out wide, the centre experiment at club level is over for now.

“I’ve told Mary that I want to play fullback for club and he said the same thing to me,” he said.

“It’s just another feather the cap that I can play a few positions and when it comes to rep footy it doesn’t hurt my chances of making teams.

“That utility role is something I’ll embrace over the next few years.”

Dugan is known for his running game as opposed to his ball playing and the numbers reflect that.

Since joining the Dragons in 2013, Dugan has averaged 156 running metres per game, but has notched up a total of just eight try assists over those four years — that’s less than his one 2010 season with the Raiders.

bfca52a4f586bbe7fe7babd2c90a4270

Josh Dugan in action. Picture: Mark EvansSource:News Corp Australia
Dugan has been working with the coaching staff to incorporate more ball playing into his game.

“If you look at my Canberra time I think I was a pretty good passer back then,” he said.

“I sort of took on a bit more of a running role when I got to Saints and that’s worked all right for me and the team. I feel like it’s helped us get on the front foot out of the back end of sets.

“I’ve always had that passing ability it’s just a matter of using it and over the next month I’ll be working hard at training to get it in my mindset a bit more to be able to pass and make that right decision.

“The way we played last year, I was always holding the short side so I wasn’t much of a ballplayer anyway. I said to Mary I want to be able to have that licence if I get it and he was all up for it.

“I’ve been working with Benny Hornby over the past week doing a few extras after training and I’ll continue to do so before the season.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...k/news-story/9984ab40abd0b56c2b4166ddcf8d27c2

This article all but confirms our worst fears re: halfback with mccrone all but confirmed and it does not look good for Dufty at least early on.

Exactly how and why these "so called" changes to the attack, with the same players that were there for a large part of last season can be expected to work now but not then beggars belief!

Looks like the same old, same old...

Last edited:

Carlton

Juniors
What a load of rubbish, if this happens then its not only 2017 that's a wasted year its 2018 as well.

The situation for 2017 was crap but at least there was the opportunity to use it to plan for 2018 in a way a lot of other clubs can't. It was the year to really find out what we had internally and identify the players we need early and plan how to get them.

McCrone and Widdop what a wasted opportunity, this isn't going to provide the attacking creativity needed. Once again Widdop tries to blame Benji for his failures, its time he went.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
NRL 2017: St George Illawarra stars Gareth Widdop and Josh Dugan dissect the Dragons’ attack

IT’S been called dire, dour and boring.

A lot has been made of St George Illawarra’s attack over recent seasons, but in 2016, that criticism went to a new level.

In the 24 matches they played, the team totalled 341 points — that’s 14.2 points per game and only just better than the 12.7 wooden spooners Newcastle were averaging.

Foxsports.com.au sat down with a couple of key players in five-eighth Gareth Widdop and fullback Josh Dugan to find out where it went wrong and what’s being done to rectify it.

WHAT WENT WRONG

Dragons’ attack looked incredibly rigid and predictable for much of 2016.

Too often they’d chance their arm in the dying stages of a game — when the result was out of reach — and ended up actually troubling the opposition’s defence.

“We probably needed to play more instinctive football,” Widdop said.

“It was more about finding a role and sticking to it. We were probably too inconsistent in doing that.

“I think last year with myself and Benji (Marshall) we were both dominant players and it probably didn’t work out as well as we wanted it to.

“With injuries we never had a strong halves combination, there was always swapping and changing and that doesn’t help your attack.”

32f06dbf3b7cb6cb4936bd4962d77b67

Gareth Widdop and Benji Marshall were the Dragons halves in 2016. Picture: Gregg PorteousSource:News Corp Australia
While Widdop doesn’t believe the added responsibility of being captain created unnecessary pressure, he does admit the role sometimes took his mind off the main job at hand.

“Being captain, I thought I had to worry about everyone else rather than myself personally,” he said.

“It probably just got away from me a bit, the way I needed to play and was worrying about everyone else.

“I suppose you could say [it did get to me] a little bit, but it’s all part of learning about being a captain.”

HOW ARE THEY FIXING IT?

Well if Dugan’s comments are anything to go by, the revamp of the attack is a closely guarded secret.

“I don’t want to give away too much,” the NSW star said.

“(The attack) has changed a bit and we’re going to be working on that the next three of four weeks before we get into the trials.”

Widdop believed the Dragons have to find their own style of attack which compliments their players.

999228e1df265b60de37c2b5c8458513

Gareth Widdop in action for the Dragons. Picture: Mark EvansSource: News Corp Australia
“We’ve brought in new staff this year and it’s certainly going to change things up,” he said. “It’s been positive at training.

“When things don’t work you have to look at ways to improve things.

“Last year was a big lesson for us and hopefully we can come up with something that suits the team we are.

“Every team is different and play different ways and if we find ways that as the Dragons want to play, we’ve got some great talent in our squad to help us.”

WHO WILL PLAY HALFBACK?

The Dragons playmaking plans were thrown into disarray before Christmas when young gun Drew Hutchison broke down at training with a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament.

“I actually went in on the day that he did it,” Dugan said.

“The poor bloke was devastated and we were all devastated for him because it was looking like he was going to get first crack at halfback.

“It’s sort of thrown a spanner in the works but we’ve got some worthy replacements.”

The Dragons have been linked to the likes of former NRL players Todd Carney and Chris Sandow, but the club have stuck to their guns stating they intend to look within their squad for a replacement.

That means former Raider Josh McCrone, utility Kurt Mann, Illawarra Cutters playmaker Shaun Nona and young gun Jai Field are left to battle it out for the No. 7 jersey.

Dugan has backed McCrone to start the year.

“I think with Josh (after) playing a bit last year,” he said. “He’s been in the system a little while longer than Shaun and Jai, although Jai knows the system and the structure being a local junior.

“But just that experience, and he’s got that old head on him so I think if we’re going to go forward, I think he’ll get first crack.”

ff7c6157fe5338fb90c960eda4d0248f

Josh McCrone is tipped to be the Dragons’ halfback in round one. Picture: Gregg PorteousSource: News Corp Australia
Widdop said he didn’t mind which contender got the job, and he would even consider moving to halfback if it helped the halves chemistry.

“Whatever the coach feels is best for the team, I’m happy to play wherever,” he said.

“If they want me to play halfback, I’ll play halfback.

“It’ll come down to who we’ve got on the field that will decide the role they want me to play.”

THE FULLBACK ROLE

With Dugan possessing the ability to play both fullback and centre, there is a question about where he best fits into the Dragons line up, particularly with rising star Matt Dufty coming through the ranks.

78347e77b98f17b5281ef3e36879f521

Rising star Matt Dufty. Picture: Gregg PorteousSource: News Corp Australia
Dugan played over half of the 2014 season in the centres and started last season in the same role before shifting back to fullback where he remained.

While he’s had great success at Origin and international level playing out wide, the centre experiment at club level is over for now.

“I’ve told Mary that I want to play fullback for club and he said the same thing to me,” he said.

“It’s just another feather the cap that I can play a few positions and when it comes to rep footy it doesn’t hurt my chances of making teams.

“That utility role is something I’ll embrace over the next few years.”

Dugan is known for his running game as opposed to his ball playing and the numbers reflect that.

Since joining the Dragons in 2013, Dugan has averaged 156 running metres per game, but has notched up a total of just eight try assists over those four years — that’s less than his one 2010 season with the Raiders.

bfca52a4f586bbe7fe7babd2c90a4270

Josh Dugan in action. Picture: Mark EvansSource:News Corp Australia
Dugan has been working with the coaching staff to incorporate more ball playing into his game.

“If you look at my Canberra time I think I was a pretty good passer back then,” he said.

“I sort of took on a bit more of a running role when I got to Saints and that’s worked all right for me and the team. I feel like it’s helped us get on the front foot out of the back end of sets.

“I’ve always had that passing ability it’s just a matter of using it and over the next month I’ll be working hard at training to get it in my mindset a bit more to be able to pass and make that right decision.

“The way we played last year, I was always holding the short side so I wasn’t much of a ballplayer anyway. I said to Mary I want to be able to have that licence if I get it and he was all up for it.

“I’ve been working with Benny Hornby over the past week doing a few extras after training and I’ll continue to do so before the season.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...k/news-story/9984ab40abd0b56c2b4166ddcf8d27c2

This article all but confirms our worst fears re: halfback with mccrone all but confirmed and it does not look good for Dufty at least early on.

Exactly how and why these "so called" changes to the attack, with the same players that were there for a large part of last season can be expected to work now but not then beggars belief!

Looks like the same old, same old...

Thanks for the article Dragsters.

I'm not sure anything is settled after reading this a couple of times in fact it's full of contradictions.
Eg:
Dugan says McCrone will get first crack, whereas Widdop says he doesn't know and is happy to work with any of them, even moving to 7 if it helps the team (why would he move to 7 if McCrone comes in as the 7). Plus, as captain, you'd think he'd have a better idea of who his halves partner would be, particularly if their already started drill training.

My opinion is that the 7 spot hasn't been decided at this point with maybe Nona, who was injured, given enough time to prove fitness. The trials against the Tigs and CS will make it clearer. They may even go for a 3 way halves rotation, similar to what JD used in the Cutters last year with McCrone used as the hooker utility.

As for the centre/fullback, Duges never mentions Dufty in his dialogue, and remember he is negotiating a new contract at this stage. "That utility role is something I’ll embrace over the next few years.” so, does he want to play fullback or centre?

My opinion is he will start the year at fullback which is unfortunate because giving Dufty the first crack from game 1 would really boost his confidence. However, like the halves situation, maybe more will be revealed in the trials.

I don't think either of them, or anyone else TBH, is going to formally state the structure of the team this far out from the beginning of the season. A lot of things will remain "hidden" probably right up until "team list Tuesday" of round 1. However, as you say Dragsters, and we are talking about McGregor here, it will be same-ol-same ol.

Carlton

Juniors
I hope you are right Dragonslayer but this is how the club breaks the news to the fans that something is happening they wont like. Put it out there as just a possibility and then gradually make it more and more definite so that when its officially announced its disappointing but not a complete shock. Death by a thousand cuts.

saintm

Juniors
Thanks for the article Dragsters.

I'm not sure anything is settled after reading this a couple of times in fact it's full of contradictions.
Eg:
Dugan says McCrone will get first crack, whereas Widdop says he doesn't know and is happy to work with any of them, even moving to 7 if it helps the team (why would he move to 7 if McCrone comes in as the 7). Plus, as captain, you'd think he'd have a better idea of who his halves partner would be, particularly if their already started drill training.

My opinion is that the 7 spot hasn't been decided at this point with maybe Nona, who was injured, given enough time to prove fitness. The trials against the Tigs and CS will make it clearer. They may even go for a 3 way halves rotation, similar to what JD used in the Cutters last year with McCrone used as the hooker utility.

As for the centre/fullback, Duges never mentions Dufty in his dialogue, and remember he is negotiating a new contract at this stage. "That utility role is something I’ll embrace over the next few years.” so, does he want to play fullback or centre?

My opinion is he will start the year at fullback which is unfortunate because giving Dufty the first crack from game 1 would really boost his confidence. However, like the halves situation, maybe more will be revealed in the trials.

I don't think either of them, or anyone else TBH, is going to formally state the structure of the team this far out from the beginning of the season. A lot of things will remain "hidden" probably right up until "team list Tuesday" of round 1. However, as you say Dragsters, and we are talking about McGregor here, it will be same-ol-same ol.
Sounds to me like Dugan is looking after one thing. He is not stupid "new contract fullback $$$$$$".

getsmarty

Immortal
Yep...interesting no direct quotes from Mary..McCrone was always going to start at 7 after Hutch went down. Typical Mary selection...Same with Dugan at fullback. Lets hope he doesn't start with Lafai in the centres...Surely Milne/macdonald/Mann would be ahead of Lafai.for centres spots.

Reactions: Qdf

getsmarty

Immortal
Lawrie: Bit Of A Scare
Fri 20th January, 01:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons prop Blake Lawrie has expressed relief following an injury scare during a routine contact drill at training in WIN Stadium, Wollongong this week.

Dragons medical staff worked quickly to brace Lawrie's neck before he left the training field in an ambulance and was taken to hospital to undergo further tests.

Much to the relief of everyone at the Club Blake was cleared of any serious injury and has since resumed training with the rest of the squad.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/01/20/lawrie_bit_of_a_scar.af_news.html

Didn't realise Duges is now chairman of selectors

Another deflating article

Widdop throws Benji under the bus yet again

Duges suddenly has decided he is a full back again in order to maximise his contract value

Mary in the meantime is both silent and clueless as to how the attack will be revamped

Can see myself developing a drinking problem this year

On a brighter note expect McCrone to fail within 2-3 weeks and hence Mary will need to shuffle the chairs on the titanic by round 4

Duges will either show us he has the skill set to be a ball playing full back or be shown the door

In each case its a win/win situation for us

getsmarty

Immortal
Fulltime contract a reward for persistence for Lewis

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

20 Jan 2017, 6 p.m.
r0_161_5184_3087_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

SECOND CHANCE: Chris Lewis is still chasing his NRL dream with the Dragons despite a number career-threatening injury set-backs. Picture: Adam McLean

OF all the players sweating it out this preseason in the hope of earning an NRL debut, you’d be hard-pressed to find a more deserving candidate than St George Illawarra hopeful Chris Lewis.

He’d be a late bloomer by NRL standards but, at just 25 he’s suffered – and come back from – enough serious injuries to end three careers. The Dragons certainly thought so having twice told him he was surplus to requirements before ultimately offering his his first fulltime contract in November.

It’s why his tale of persistence is one of the great stories surrounding the Dragons preseason – whether he ultimately climbs the NRL mountain or not.

"How long have you got?” is his joking response when asked to list his injuries.

“I did an ankle first year of 20s [2011] with the Dragons so that was half of that season gone. Then I came back and dislocated my shoulder first training run back so that was eight weeks.

“I came back and finished the year in reserve grade at Thirroul and did my ACL. That was all in that first year that ended with a double re-costruction, knee and shoulder.

“I came back halfway through the following season and made my 20s debut. I actually rolled my ankle beforehand but didn’t tell the coach because I was so keen to play. It wasn’t up to scratch and after two games it blew up and that was the end of my 20s career.”

Lewis’ attempt to resurrect his career in the Illawarra Coal League a year later was scuppered by another ACL tear and in 2014, after a brief preseason trial appearance, he was also told ‘thanks but no thanks’ by the Illawarra Cutters.

It offered up another rugby league exit lane and Lewis admits he may well have taken it had he not ended up at Helensburgh in the Illawarra Coal League.

“I was very lucky to end up at Helensburgh under Ryan Powell who I played under at Shellharbour,” Lewis said.

“He helped me sort out how to play football again because I’d spent such little time on the park, running leads tackling technique and all those things you just forget if you’re not in the game.

“He really helped me along with that and it was special bunch of blokes up there, guys like Jarrod Boyle, Jason Raper, Blake Phillips big High-Tower [Steve McCallum] Smitty [Grant Smith].

“The quality of player and football in that comp is just ridiculous and you can go back there and become a really good footballer out of it.”

He won the 2015 premiership with the Tigers before earning another call-up to the Cutters where he was a key figure in the club’s 2016 Intrust Super double-crown.

A new contract with the Dragons followed, leaving Lewis determined to make up for lost time in 2017.

“After we won the second [Intrust Super] comp it was all a bit surreal,” he said.

“It’s what you work for and hope for all year but I guess you don’t expect it to really happen. I was just riding high off that and got the news about the contract a week or two later and it’s just been unreal since then.

“At the start of the year with the Cutters we all sat down and wrote down our individual goals and our team goals. For most of the team the goal was to play first grade or earn an NRL contract and the best way for that to happen was for us to win football games. It’s good so many of us have ended up with an opportunity out of that.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4414004/resolve-pays-off-for-lewis/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons Boot Camp
Tue 24th January, 12:00PM
A A

The St George Illawarra Dragons’ NRL pre-season squad participated in an Army-style camp on the South Coast of New South Wales in early January.

Split into groups, the players were forced to undergo a series of tasks tailored to encourage selflessness among the squad.

Veteran forward Tariq Sims said that nobody surrendered over the course of the three-day camp which included a host of young Dragons players participating in their maiden NRL pre-season.

"There were a lot of challenges both physically and mentally but when things became hard all the boys solved it together," Sims said.

"It's exactly how we want things to work when we're back playing footy. That's what we were striving to achieve and what we were aiming to get out of the camp."

Basic luxuries were thrown out the window as the players went without any electronic devices or watches during the camp.

"Sleep deprivation plays a big part throughout the whole camp but full credit to the boys, nobody cracked," Sims said.

"We took [the camp] an hour at a time because we couldn't check in and see what time it was so we went old school."

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/01/24/dragons_boot_camp.html

MattoDragon

Juniors
Yep...interesting no direct quotes from Mary..McCrone was always going to start at 7 after Hutch went down. Typical Mary selection...Same with Dugan at fullback. Lets hope he doesn't start with Lafai in the centres...Surely Milne/macdonald/Mann would be ahead of Lafai.for centres spots.
Why does Euan Aitken constantly get left out of calculations for a centre spot?
He was among our best last year, played Rep for Country and played in the Scottish side in the 4 Nations, and played very well.
He showed last season he is versatile enough and good enough to play Right or Left Centre, yet he is so often not chosen by people in this forum.
MacDonald can play Centre, but he proved for the Titans to be a classy Winger. Mann would be of more benefit to the team in the halves. Lafai hasn't played a decent game of footy in the centres since 2014 with the mongrels. We've been shopping him around trying to move him on, but there's been no takers. I think that says something about him.
Imo, if Dugan remains at FB, Aitken and Milne should be the centres. If Dugan plays right centre, Aitken and Milne should rotate at left wing and centre.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Why does Euan Aitken constantly get left out of calculations for a centre spot?
He was among our best last year, played Rep for Country and played in the Scottish side in the 4 Nations, and played very well.
He showed last season he is versatile enough and good enough to play Right or Left Centre, yet he is so often not chosen by people in this forum.
MacDonald can play Centre, but he proved for the Titans to be a classy Winger. Mann would be of more benefit to the team in the halves. Lafai hasn't played a decent game of footy in the centres since 2014 with the mongrels. We've been shopping him around trying to move him on, but there's been no takers. I think that says something about him.
Imo, if Dugan remains at FB, Aitken and Milne should be the centres. If Dugan plays right centre, Aitken and Milne should rotate at left wing and centre.

Not sold on Aitken. He's poor under the high ball, not that quick off the mark, and doesnt look to set up his winger. Tim Lafai had more try assists per game than Aitken. And no I'm not trolling, I just dont think Aitken is all that exceptional.

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons Paul McGregor focused on own future in 2017, not Ben Hunt’s arrival
fe9c9c27223b71c6fa2cc5ac5e164a83

AAP
January 25, 2017 1:43pm
fe9c9c27223b71c6fa2cc5ac5e164a83

PAUL McGregor hasn’t given up on Ben Hunt arriving at St George Illawarra a year early.
But the coach’s priority is leading the Dragons out of the NRL finals wilderness in 2017 with his job on the line.
McGregor said the ball is in Brisbane’s court to release the halfback this year after the Dragons signed him on a lucrative five-year contract from 2018.
“You’d have to talk to (Brisbane coach) Wayne (Bennett), mate,” McGregor told Sky Sports Radio on Wednesday when asked if Hunt could wear the Red V this year.

McGregor lauded Hunt, who this week accepted an offer worth a reported $6 million from the Dragons to end his nine-year career at Red Hill.
But McGregor admitted he may not have a chance to work with the 26-year-old with his contract running out at this season’s end and no guarantee of an extension.

origin:video_integrator.MxNjk1OTE6Vx7V0HVfVXNfRzYHCfyhqn

The NRL contract conundrum
“He’s a high quality player and shown really strong character,” McGregor said.
“To leave family and friends to take up a new venture shows what kind of person he is.
“Ben’s got a year to play in Brissie and my focus and energy is entirely on the support of my 2017 squad.
“My best interests right now is for the 2017 team because that’s who I’m coaching.”

With Benji Marshall’s exit in 2016, Drew Hutchison was set to partner skipper Gareth Widdop in the Dragons’ halves this year until he suffered a serious knee injury in pre-season training.
McGregor said experienced former Canberra playmaker Josh McCrone, Jai Field, Shaun Nona and Kurt Mann were competing for the No. 7 jersey.
The coach signalled on-field tactical changes after 11th-placed Dragons struggled in attack last year, finishing with the third least points scored (341).

“The main thing is a lot more simplicity ... a nice power game with the freedom to play what’s in front of us,” he said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...l/news-story/fe9c9c27223b71c6fa2cc5ac5e164a83

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons' sevens to battle for Nines jumper
Wed 25 Jan, 2017, 3:40pm
Matt Encarnacion, AAP

image.ashx

Shaun Nona in action for Northern Pride in the Intrust Super Cup. Credit: SMP Images/QRL Media

St George Illawarra pair Shaun Nona and Jai Field will get their first chance at impressing for this year's vacant halfback spot when they play next month in the Auckland Nines.

The unknown quantities were named as part of an 18-man squad on Wednesday that will be captained by representative player Tyson Frizell.

Regular first-graders Jack de Belin, Tariq Sims, Euan Aitken, Kurt Mann and Joel Thompson will also go to New Zealand, as will recruits Cameron McInnes and Nene Macdonald.

Big guns Gareth Widdop, Josh Dugan and Jason Nightingale will stay at home.

Youngster Drew Hutchison had been pencilled in to wear the No.7 jumper vacated by Benji Marshall, however is out for at least six months after blowing his knee in the pre-season.

The joint-venture club opted not to buy another halfback, pinning hopes on uncapped duo Nona and Field, as well as veteran utility Josh McCrone, to fill the void.

Nona was part of the victorious Illawarra Cutters squad who claimed the NSW Cup title, while the 19-year-old Field was runner up for the Dally M under-20s player of the year award.

McCrone wasn't selected in the squad.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor, whose club have never gone past the group stage in the event's three-year history, said the squad had been deliberately picked to challenge for the Nines title.

"We have picked a well-balanced team. It has a lot of speed and size in it. We have come up with a strategy where we've picked a skilful side for the Nines-style of football," he said.

Kangaroos and NSW State of Origin incumbent Frizell captains the club for the first time.

"It's an honour to captain the club at the Auckland Nines tournament. It's very special and I'm very happy to have the role," Frizell said.

http://www.nrl.com/dragons-sevens-to-battle-for-nines-jumper/tabid/10874/newsid/103311/default.aspx

Latest posts