What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

inside_pass

Bench
Dragons Partner With Domus Lighting
Wed 11th January, 12:00PM
A A

1484096670499.jpg

The St George Illawarra Dragons have received a further boost heading into the 2017 season by announcing Domus Lighting as the new above-number Apparel Partner for two seasons, until at least the end of 2018.

Domus Lighting is a highly regarded manufacturer and distributor of lighting products located in Kingsgrove with over fifty-years of experience serving the Australasian market.

The Australian-owned and locally-based company is renowned for its innovation, quality and reliability within the lighting industry and is recognised at being at the forefront of investment into energy efficient lighting products using the latest technologies.

“It’s a great honour and opportunity to work with the Dragons with such a long and distinguished history,” said Domus Lighting Sales Director Matthew Care.

“Domus Lighting is an Australian owned and operated family business, managed by three brothers who were born and raised in the St George area.

“The Dragons have always held a special place in our heart and as passionate supporters, we wish the team every success in the future and look forward to a long and fruitful relationship.”

Dragons CEO Peter Doust has welcomed Domus Lighting as the new above-number Apparel Partner as well as the possibilities developing a long-standing association with the company.

“We are very happy to have established this new and exciting partnership which will see Domus Lighting become our new above-number Apparel Partner for at least the next two seasons,” said Doust.

“Domus Lighting is a proud locally-based company that is well recognised as one of the country’s leaders in lighting distribution and we look forward to seeing this new partnership grow over the coming years.”

https://www.domuslighting.com.au/

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/01/11/dragons_partner_with.html
Didn't know chinless was back at the club(3rd from left)?

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Looking bulkier in every shot as well!

C'mon!
Dragsters
Hope so mate.
Hes 82 kg 178cm now 4or 5 kg more than last year. Just to compare billy slater is 89kg
178cm.
Thats after 12 years or more in the top grade.
Dufty is ready.
Give him a run in trails at fullback with duges in centres.
And see how he goes.
I reckon he will do well.

Dragsters

First Grade
Dragsters
Hope so mate.
Hes 82 kg 178cm now 4or 5 kg more than last year. Just to compare billy slater is 89kg
178cm.
Thats after 12 years or more in the top grade.
Dufty is ready.
Give him a run in trails at fullback with duges in centres.
And see how he goes.
I reckon he will do well.

Agreed.

Dufty looks ripped as well.

He's done what they have asked and is being paraded around alot so the signs are good.

I reckon slater looked 5kg overweight at least when I saw him on fox sports a week or so ago. Looks plain unfit.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Agreed.

Dufty looks ripped as well.

He's done what they have asked and is being paraded around alot so the signs are good.

I reckon slater looked 5kg overweight at least when I saw him on fox sports a week or so ago. Looks plain unfit.

Dufty is one of the guys always near the top in all training test.
So must be fit.
I tell you the guy whos killing training is Jai Field leading the way

Drakon

Juniors
Your club's most exciting rookie: Part 3
Wed 11 Jan, 2017, 6:00am
By Martin Gabor ‌, National Correspondent , NRL.com

Matt Dufty (Dragons)

He's the name on everyone's lips going into 2017 and rightly so. Blessed with breakneck speed and fancy footwork, Matt Dufty is one of the most exciting players yet to play first grade. The Dragons fullback graduated from the NYC as the competition's leading try-scorer (55 from 65 matches) and set up another 40 tries over the past two seasons. Having already played for the Junior Blues, it won't be long until Dufty earns a spot in the famous Red V jersey.

Special mention: Josh Kerr. The former Thunderbolts star is an attacking weapon in the forward pack and will bolster the Dragons' stocks up front.

http://www.nrl.com/your-clubs-most-exciting-rookie-part-3/tabid/10874/newsid/103121/default.aspx

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons rookie Matt Dufty targets No.1 spot
ANDREW PARKINSON
12 Jan 2017, 9:40 a.m.
r0_0_4134_2692_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Prepared: Dragons emerging talent Matt Dufty.

He was the star of St George Illawarra's exciting under-20s side last year, and now Matt Dufty is determined to take his chance in the top grade.

The 21-year-old is in the mix to play fullback for the Dragons' season-opener against Penrith at Jubilee Oval on March 4 after an impressive start to pre-season.

Josh Dugan only recently returned to training after representing Australia at the Four Nations late last year. Although he is the Dragons' incumbent fullback, he played in the centres for NSW and the Kangaroos and started last season wearing the No.3 jersey for the Dragons.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor reverted to Dugan at fullback following some indifferent early-season form and an injury to Kurt Mann, but Dufty, whose try-scoring ability saw him emerge as an exciting prospect in the Holden Cup, gives McGregor another option.

Dufty says he is determined to earn a chance and make sure he takes it.

"It would mean the world to play in round one," he said. "But I think it would mean a lot more if I debuted at home at [Kogarah] in front of home fans and people that would love to see me play.

"[Talk of playing first grade] excites me. But we don't read too much into it. It's really up to Mary [McGregor] and Dugan and none of them have really spoken about it. I've really been the only fullback on the roster at training, which is good for my experience leading the boys around.

"But it's good to have Duges back [and I'm] learning a few tips off him.

"Me and Dugan are different attacking players, so we both bring different strengths in our attack. Defensively, most fullbacks try and defend the same, positionally and vocally out the back. So I don't think too much would change there."

St George Illawarra lost Drew Hutchison to a season-ending knee injury but have strengthened their side with the signings of Paul Vaughan, Nene Macdonald and Cameron McInnes.

The Dragons have featured in the finals only once in the past five seasons and ran 11th last year.

Despite last year's disappointment and the loss of Benji Marshall, Dufty is confident they will be much improved in 2017.

"I'm really impressed with our roster this year," he said. "We have depth everywhere. In the forwards I could name 10 different guys that could start and do the job just as well as the next guy. In our backs there's a lot of depth in our centres and wingers."

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...s-rookie-matt-dufty-targets-no1-spot/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Frizell To Be Fighting Fit For Season Start
Thu 12th January, 09:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra forward Tyson Frizell has allayed concerns over missing the start of the season due to his reoccurring back complaint.

Frizell's back issues came to the forefront this time last year and restricted his pre-season greatly, where he was forced to withdraw from the inaugural World All Stars team.

However Frizell said the current severity of the injury doesn't compare to the cards he was dealt last pre-season.

While Frizell added his back woes will be something he'll have to maintain for the remainder of his career, it wasn't as dramatic as it sounded.

It also didn't stop the 25-year-old from producing a career-best season in 2016 where he made his debut for both New South Wales and Australia.

"Before the [Four Nations] final I had a little hiccup with my back. It's something I'm not unfamiliar with and that I've learnt to look after this time around," Frizell said.

"Hopefully I'll be back to full training by the end of the month. It's the exact same thing as I had last year. It won't require any surgery rather just a bit of time off.

"It's something I can manage. Hopefully I'll get one or two trials in and I'll definitely be right for Round 1."

On his breakout season, Frizell said he never expected the accolades to come so early in his burgeoning career.

"It was a year I'll never forget. Hopefully I can use it to become a better player moving forward," Frizell said.

"I never thought everything would come so quick obviously with Origin, playing consistent footy for the Dragons and then getting opportunities with the Prime Minister's team and at the Four Nations.

"From my debut to now I've slowly progressed through my rugby league career in terms of my confidence. It's been a long thing for me but I was blessed to get an opportunity at Origin level and to play overseas."

Frizell is hoping to turn his success into a means of seniority over the Dragons' young cohort of stars.

With former skipper Ben Creagh, Mitch Rein, Benji Marshall and Mike Cooper all departing over the off-season, the 2017 NRL Telstra Premiership season will present Frizell the opportunity to take another step up.

"We have a pretty young squad at the moment so even at 25 I've played a bit of footy now. We've put last year to bed and worked through everything that happened. Now I'm hoping I can bring more to the team," he said.

"I'm not sure if I'll be one of the senior players around the team but I'll put my two cents worth in wherever I can. I'll be happy to work hard on the field and hopefully help lead the team to a healthy kind of year."

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/01/12/frizell_to_be_fighti.html

getsmarty

Immortal
McInnes: Can't Wait To Show What I Can Do
Fri 13th January, 02:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons recruit Cameron McInnes is hungry for competitive football to begin as he strives to become the Club’s starting hooker.

The Botany Rams junior, who hasn’t missed a beat this pre-season, couldn’t be happier with his new surroundings.

“I’m really enjoying my time at the Dragons all of the boys have been really welcoming,” said McInnes.

“I can’t wait to get out there, it can’t come quick enough, obviously we’ve got a bit of work to do before then.

“Me and Gareth are working together closely as are all the hookers and halves trying to get the combinations going.”

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/01/13/mcinnes_can_t_wait_t.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Hunt on for solutions
TIM BARROW
13 Jan 2017, 11:54 a.m.
r169_0_3751_2631_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

TOP TARGET: Would signing Broncos halfback Ben Hunt be the answer for the Dragons? An offer from the Dragons comes as Gareth Widdop and coach Paul McGregor come off contract this year. Picture: Getty Images

SO after holding all their salary cap cards last year, the Dragons are prepared to go all-in on Broncos playmaker Ben Hunt.

They were always ready to launch into the market, though it’s hard to gauge the club’s strategic planning when David Warwick and Peter Mulholland have left the recruitment office in recent times and coach Paul McGregor is off contract at the end of the season.

The next big signing must be a coup to turn their premiership fortunes around and appease the restless Dragons faithful at the same time.

It’s early days, but the scuttlebutt out there suggests signing Hunt could be to replace captain Gareth Widdop, rather than partner him in 2018.

The Dragons are expected to be patient with Drew Hutchison and provide him another chance in the NRL when he is fit again, after the luckless anterior cruciate ligament injury which has ruined his year already.

Widdop’s form has been patchy the past two seasons and he has previously been forced to deny suggestions he wanted out of the club.

So the picture may become clear early on this season, perhaps even by May or June, about Widdop’s future, particularly if the Dragons can land the Hunt deal early.

The knock on Hunt has always been whether he possesses the kicking game to be the dominant premiership halfback Brisbane – and now the Dragons – desire, even though he came close to winning one in 2015.

But at 26, he is coming into the prime of his career and still has upside.

In the meantime, Dragons fans are anxious for Widdop to start the season in style and offer some hope for a finals campaign.

They scored just 341 points last year, only above Newcastle in the points-for column.

A return to WIN Stadium this week came with a declaration from Widdop, who said “I’ll certainly be taking charge more”.

In vowing to help reshape the Dragons’ attack, Widdop maintained he had confidence in the players in the squad who could fill the gap once reserved for Hutchison.

“It opens an opportunity and obviously we’ve got Josh McCrone, who played 150 first grade games and Jai Field and Shaun Nona,” he said this week.

“So we’ve got plenty of players for that position.”

Previously, this column discussed the Dragons taking the risk on switching Kurt Mann to the halves, after his failed move to fullback last season.

The early indications are Mann at halfback is unlikely, as McGregor tries a number of options during preseason training, at the Auckland Nines and during trials against the Tigers and Souths.

And there could still yet be a selection shock or two to come, with Matt Dufty impressing in his first NRL preseason, putting Josh Dugan’s move to the centres back on the table.

Mann has been touted as a potential halves candidate to partner Dragons captain and fellow former Melbourne Storm player Gareth Widdop.

They include the experienced McCrone, the untried Shaun Nona, who was super-impressive in the Illawarra Cutters premiership and national championship success, and emerging talent Jai Field.

Nona in particular is an exciting prospect.

At 26, he’s done a lengthy apprenticeship in the Queensland and NSW Premiership competitions. But it would mean Widdop would truly need to take over the organisation of the team behind what is an impressive forward pack.

If not, the discussion on whether Hunt is the long-term solution, or worth the offer of close to a million dollars per season, will intensify.

But wherever you stand on Hunt, now it’s out there, signing him could prove as important as early wins this season for the Dragons.

They really cannot afford another battering from their own fan base, after the ongoing sideshow of missing out on key signings in recent times.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4402270/hunt-on-for-solutions/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL: St George Illawarra Dragons rookie Matt Dufty stacking on weight to fulfil playing dream
177eb59f508240e446690a3b8398fb87

MICHAEL CARAYANNIS, The Sunday Telegraph
January 14, 2017 6:09pm
177eb59f508240e446690a3b8398fb87

MATT Dufty is halfway towards his goal of bulking up his lightweight frame to become a legitimate contender for St George Illawarra’s No.1 jersey.

Dufty lit up the National Youth Competition by by scoring the most tries of any player in the under-20 ranks. But concerns surrounding his diminutive frame led Dragons officials to tell him to hit the weights room.

He has put on an extra three kilograms but needs to add three more to reach his goal.

Dufty finished last season at 78kg but was told he needs to weigh in at 84 kilograms in time for round one.

He said he has lost none of his trademark pace and footwork which led to him becoming a try-scoring weapon. Dufty scored 55 tries from 65 games and earned NSW under-20 selection last year.

6cf91de29da91a54250ed40d9a0fde19

St George Illawarra rookie Matt Dufty. Picture: Gregg Porteous

“The physical and condition staff, they want me to put on a few kilos,” Dufty said. “I haven’t lost my speed which is good.”

With their attack faltering last year, Dufty could be the addition needed to spark the Dragons.

He will need Josh Dugan to shift to centre full-time if he wants to play in the NRL.

“Dugan hasn’t been around,” Dufty said. “He was at the Four Nations and only has just come back after Christmas. Before Christmas I was the only fullback training which has given me confidence in directing the boys around. Dugan is a world-class player. It’s up to him and where he wants to play. It’s really want he wants to do.

bc8941dd70fa7343d26609036c8ddb95

Matt Dufty scores for the NSW under 20s in 2016. Picture: Mark Evans

“We are different types of attacking players. All fullbacks defensively try and stay the same. I pick up some tips when he is directing the boys around at the back.

“I feel a lot more comfortable amongst the boys. Now that I’m older I don’t qualify for the 20s, I’m pushing for a spot in the first-grade team.”

The St George junior has long dreamt about running onto Kogarah Oval for his first NRL game.

“I’ve thought about it a lot,” Dufty said.

“Especially at Kogarah in front of a home crowd because I’m a local junior. It would mean more to me than debuting anywhere else.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...m/news-story/177eb59f508240e446690a3b8398fb87

Morotti

Juniors
I would expect dufty to shift between nsw cup and first grade a little this year. And all going well to be our long term fullback solution in 2018 (fingers crossed).

Worries me a bit that he is to putbon 6 kilos in the off season. Thats a bit of weight to gain and still maintain yourspeed and skill set. Time will tell i suppose and he is getting closer to physical maturity so it would be now or never i suppose.

getsmarty

Immortal
Glymin: We Share A Special Bond
Sun 15th January, 09:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons winger Yaw Kiti Glymin speaks to Dragons TV about his goals and aspirations for the upcoming season.

The local Arncliffe Scots junior provides an update on pre-season training and discusses the bond forged between the contingent of young outside backs at the Club.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/01/15/glymin_.html

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL 2017: Josh Dugan defends Benji Marshall, says he can make centre switch at Broncos
1ca77f441275fd1477e5641c7aa9de82

John Dean, FOX SPORTS
January 16, 2017 6:00am
1ca77f441275fd1477e5641c7aa9de82

ST GEORGE Illawarra fullback Josh Dugan has defended former teammate Benji Marshall, claiming the veteran was made a scapegoat for the Dragons’ poor performances last season.

The Dragons’ attack was heavily criticised in 2016. The side struggled to find the white line and ended up with a points accumulation just marginally better than wooden spooners Newcastle.

Marshall was dogged with hamstring issues for much of the year, but being the team’s halfback at the time, a lot of the blame was pointed in his direction.

In his 16 appearances for the Red V, Marshall had 13 try assists, 12 linebreak assists and 33 tackle busts. He also averaged 245 kick metres and just under three missed tackles per game.

6400151d4ba8f3b705a48b0fbaeb9a88

Josh Dugan and Benji Marshall during their time together at the Dragons. Picture: Gregg Porteous
“He was sort of thrown in the deep end and made a scapegoat,” Dugan told foxsports.com.au.

“As a whole, we never performed up to our standards.

“I don’t think you can put that blame on any one player, and for that, I definitely think he was thrown under the bus.”

The Dragons decided not to re-sign the 31-year-old, and he has now linked up with Brisbane after being handed a lifeline by coach Wayne Bennett.

654543d96b3217964a1b67fb63651f18

Benji Marshall has joined the Broncos. Picture: Annette Dew
“I’m really happy for him that he’s got another gig,” Dugan said.

“I texted him as soon as I found out and said ‘I’m happy for you, I hope everything works out’.

“I hope he does go well because he’s a great bloke and a great player and I feel he’s still got a few years left in him to play some good footy.

“It was unfortunate that he had to leave us but good luck to him.”

Marshall’s move to the Broncos was met with much intrigue given the star power the club already possesses across the park.

The former Kiwi international has recently been spotted training in the left centre spot at Brisbane, the position he’s most likely to play if he’s to appear in first grade.

19fabcb769ef9b1eef730c05619efb60

Corey Oates and Benji Marshall at Broncos training. Picture: Annette Dew
Dugan himself has made a successful switch to the centres at Origin and international level and scored a double for Australia in last year’s Four Nations final at Anfield.

When asked whether Marshall could make a similar shift, Dugan said: “Yeah, he played centre when he was younger and he defends at three and two anyway, so it’s pretty much the same defensive principles.

“He’s not a bad defender either. He’s a ball runner and he’s a dangerous one at that.

“I think if he gets any sort of space he can be dangerous in the centres.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/1ca77f441275fd1477e5641c7aa9de82

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons Re-Sign Jacob Host
Tue 17th January, 08:00AM
A A

The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced that second-rower Jacob Host has agreed to terms on a three-year contract extension that will see him remain at the Club until at least the end of 2020.

The local Renown United junior made his first-grade debut against the New Zealand Warriors in Round 9 last season and has played eight NRL games to date.

Host additionally featured for the Illawarra Cutters in the NSW Cup last season and was part of their successful NSW Cup Premiership and NRL State Championship campaigns.

The Junior Kangaroo was also one of five players from the Club who most recently was invited to take part in a specialist pathways program organised by NSWRL in December.

“I am really happy to be able to remain a Dragon and lock-in my future with the team I have supported since a child,” said Host.

“I have come through the junior ranks representing the Club and look forward to being able to continue doing so as a first-grade player.

“My goal now is to continue working hard and playing my role in the squad and repay the faith shown in me by the coaching staff.”

Dragons Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward is delighted by Host’s decision to extend his contract and tenure with the Club.

“Our desire was always to identify the players we require to move forward as a Club and Jacob ticked all those boxes,” said Millward.

“Jacob possesses the ability to play in a variety of positions as well as a mature and positive attitude in the way he approaches playing rugby league.

“We look forward to watching Jacob continue his development on the field and we very much see him as a leader here in the years to come.”

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/01/17/dragons_re_sign_jaco.html

SaintHarry

Juniors
Dragons Re-Sign Jacob Host
Tue 17th January, 08:00AM
A A

The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced that second-rower Jacob Host has agreed to terms on a three-year contract extension that will see him remain at the Club until at least the end of 2020.

The local Renown United junior made his first-grade debut against the New Zealand Warriors in Round 9 last season and has played eight NRL games to date.

Host additionally featured for the Illawarra Cutters in the NSW Cup last season and was part of their successful NSW Cup Premiership and NRL State Championship campaigns.

The Junior Kangaroo was also one of five players from the Club who most recently was invited to take part in a specialist pathways program organised by NSWRL in December.

“I am really happy to be able to remain a Dragon and lock-in my future with the team I have supported since a child,” said Host.

“I have come through the junior ranks representing the Club and look forward to being able to continue doing so as a first-grade player.

“My goal now is to continue working hard and playing my role in the squad and repay the faith shown in me by the coaching staff.”

Dragons Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward is delighted by Host’s decision to extend his contract and tenure with the Club.

“Our desire was always to identify the players we require to move forward as a Club and Jacob ticked all those boxes,” said Millward.

“Jacob possesses the ability to play in a variety of positions as well as a mature and positive attitude in the way he approaches playing rugby league.

“We look forward to watching Jacob continue his development on the field and we very much see him as a leader here in the years to come.”

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/01/17/dragons_re_sign_jaco.html

This is a good signing he has potential this kid .. just wish there was a proper coach around .

getsmarty

Immortal
Gallery: Pre-Season Training Week 11
Tue 17th January, 12:00PM
A A

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

Photo 10 of 10

Photo 1 of 10

The St George Illawarra Dragons continued their pre-season conditioning at WIN Stadium, Wollongong this week.

2017 Dragons First-Grade Pre-Season Training Squad:

Leeson Ah Mau; Euan Aitken; Jack de Belin; Levi Dodd (Hurstville United); Matt Dufty(Penshurst RSL); Josh Dugan; Kalifa Faifai Loa; Tyson Frizell (Corrimal Cougars); Yaw Kiti Glymin (Arncliffe Scots); Siliva Havili; Jacob Hind; Jacob Host (Renown United); Drew Hutchison (Albion Park-Oak Flats Eagles); Josh Kerr; Tim Lafai; Chris Lewis; Nene Macdonald; Kurt Mann; Jake Marketo; Mose Masoe; Will Matthews; Tyrone McCarthy; Josh McCrone; Cameron McInnes; Taane Milne; Jason Nightingale (Renown United); Shaun Nona; Russell Packer; Hame Sele (Kingsgrove Colts); Tariq Sims (Gerringong Lions); Izaac Thompson (Kingsgrove Colts); Joel Thompson; Paul Vaughan; Gareth Widdop.

Dragons NYC Players Training With First-Grade In Pre-Season:

Jai Field (Shellharbour Sharks - NYC); Reuben Garrick (Gerringong Lions - NYC); Patrick Herbert (NYC); Blake Lawrie (Dapto Canaries - NYC); Reece Robson (NYC).

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/01/17/gallery_pre_season_t_1307265443.html

Latest posts