What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Dragons legend Steve Edge to host State of Origin dinner to benefit St George Junior Rugby League
  • Dragon's Den
    r0_0_4860_3154_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Steve Edge
    St George Dragons legend Steve Edge will host a State of Origin dinner to raise money for the St George District Junior Rugby League.

The dinner, at Club Central Hurstville on June 1, will feature Origin greats as well as former Dragons players. Phil Cass will provide entertainment.

The event is $1100 for a table of 10, starts at 7pm and is business attire.

Bookings: 0412 899 700 or edge@dragons.com.au

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/5409206/dragons-legend-to-host-origin-dinner-for-juniors/?cs=3833

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2018: Graham taking young-guns to the next level
Dragons Den News
r0_0_4614_3076_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

IT’S a sight as common as empty beer cups on the WIN Stadium hill after a game.

Like clockwork, when a Dragons field session ends, veteran prop James Graham makes his way down to the far end of the park and works through his extras.

It was a solitary exercise when he first arrived in Wollongong but it’s something he rarely does alone these days, a member of the Dragons next generation inevitably tags along.

On Wednesday it was Hame Sele. It’s an illustration of why the Dragons were so keen to bring the Englishman to the club – though Graham himself thinks very little of it.

“If I feel like it, or if I feel it’s necessary it’s good to have a little trot to throw the cobwebs off,” he said.

“[Wednesday] was a lighter day and we’ve got a longer turnaround. We’ve got some short ones coming up and then we’ve got the bye so I thought why not.

“It was five minutes of a little bit of extra running, it’s not really worth mentioning.”

He may not think much of it, but people notice, especially the club’s younger brigade, including Blake Lawrie who’s accompanied him on those trips to the eastern corner.

“I’ve done a couple of times but geez, it’s a bit tough,” Lawrie said.

“He does everything away from the football paddock that no one else sees. He should get a lot more credit than what he does.

“From when he got here the first week you take little things away from him. His line-speed, his kick pressure, his push, his talk... I could give you a whole list it's just outstanding.”

It's enough to make Bulldogs fans weep, with Graham's leadership playing no small part in the Dragons surge up the ladder this season, winning eight of their first nine games before last week's defeat at the hands of the Rabbitohs.

Having slid out of the finals race from a similar position last season, red v fans could be forgiven for feeling a sense of deja vu but Graham – who was part of the Bulldogs side that bundled the Dragons out in round 26 last year – put the loss down to the normal ebbs and flows of an NRL campaign.

"These aren't tough times. If they do come I’m sure we’ll handle it but I don’t think we’re there yet,” Graham said ahead of his side's clash with Canberra in Mudgee on Sunday.

“One loss is probably jumping the gun [for concern]. I tend to stay away from what other people are saying.

“I know we went to New Zealand and lost [in round seven] and then we backed up with a win. We need to try and replicate that.

“It’s an old saying, a week’s a long time in sport. Despite the fact we lost on the weekend, there was still a lot of good to be seen out of it and a lot that we can turn into positive things.

“It’s a roller coaster, and it will be for every team, every season. Things change within a week you look at some teams and big injuries, that changes the course of how a season goes..

"Ultimately you want to try and peak in August-September and maybe early October.”

Lawrie is the only change to coach Paul McGregor's 17 for Sunday's clash with the Raiders in Mudgee. Origin hopefuls Jack de Belin (hip) and Ben Hunt (corked thigh) were on limited duties through the week but will play at Glen Willow Oval barring any late mishaps.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-taking-young-guns-to-the-next-level/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2018: Dufty right at home in No. 1 jumper
Dragons Den News
r0_0_4063_2501_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

THEY'VE had no trouble finding top gear on the field, but Dragons fullback Matt Dufty puts the form of his side's spine down to their synergy off the park this season.

the Dragons are the NRL's runaway leaders in the attacking stats with 274 – 20 points ahead of their nearest rivals Melbourne – with their spine boasting 13 tries, 20 try-assists and 19 line-break assists between them.

It's saw them power to a 8-2 start to the season, with Dufty says he's right in-sync with Ben Hunt, Gareth Widdop and Cam McInnes 10 rounds into their campaign..

“We have spine meetings where Gaz, Benny and Cam are all there and I'm there every time,” Dufty said.

“Most plays end with me in spine terms, it goes Cam to Benny, Gaz to me so I've got a bit of input there.

“Gaz has been talking to me more and more around what plays we can run and It goes a long way towards making me comfortable in that number one jersey.

“I've pretty much figured out how Gaz likes to play, when he wants me on his edge and when I can just roam, and my combination with Benny's really come along to.

“I get on with all the spine really well and I think our friendship off the field is translating on the field which always makes it easier.”

Dufty in particular has thrived in 2018 after managing seven top-grade matches last season and puts the strong start to his first full campaign to having the freedom to roam at the back.

“At the start of the year, week to week, I just tried to do my job and play the best footy I could but, probably ever since that Cronulla game [in round six], I've been feeling really comfortable,” he said.

"Gaz and Benny and the forward pack have just been letting me do my own thing which is the style of footy I like to play. I don't like to play too structured.

“I like to play off the cuff and just play footy. That's how I've played my whole life and to have the halves and the spine we do this year it's given me the opportunity to do the same thing.”

The Dragons suffered their first major hiccup in a 24-10 loss to Souths last week, but Dufty will head into Sunday's clash with Canberra in Mudgee high on confidence after re-finding his mojo against the Rabbitohs.

“The last couple of weeks have been a bit quiet in running terms so I wanted to go out there with a mindset to get my running game back,” Dufty said.

“I think I just caught up in other things, there's so many jobs to do out there, so [last] week there was a conscious decision to get my running and my supports up.

“That's what I was trying to do and it worked a little bit so I'll try and stick to it this week.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons stay top of the ladder with win over Raiders
Local Sport
r0_0_3692_2461_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

MATCH-WINNER: Some individual brilliance from Matt Dufty saw the Dragons defeat Canberra 25-18 in Mudgee on Sunday. Picture: AAP

NEVER in doubt. At least that's how Dragons coach Paul McGregor felt during his side's 25-18 win over Canberra in Mudgee on Saturday.

It may have been a different story for red v fans who were probably a little more nervous with the scores locked at 18-all with 11 minutes to play.

Even after livewire fullback Matt Dufty produced arguably the best individual try of the season for a 24-18 lead, memories of a golden-point loss to the Raiders last season may well have tempered the joy.

The fact that loss proved one of the final nails in their side's playoffs coffin may also have been in the back of their minds, even when Gareth Widdop nailed a field goal for a seven-point buffer four minutes from time.

He saw enough from his side last year to share those misgivings but, in marked contrast to last season, McGregor said he always felt confident his side would get home.

"The sign of a good side is winning when you're not at your best and we did enough today to win which is very pleasing," McGregor said.

"We were thinking the correct state of mind with our execution at times was a little bit off. We were happy to get the two points, certainly we'll take a lot of today and move forward into a really tough game next week against Penrith.

"We bounced back after a loss for the second time this year so that's pretty important. I thought the control the boys had at different stages when we got some good field position was very good.

"I never thought we'd lose the game, but it was challenging at times when we continued to give the opposition opportunity through ourselves a little bit."

The belief his side is never out of a game isn't entirely misplaced when you can bank on the individual brilliance of players like Dufty, whose scintillating effort all but sealed the win.

Dufty also had a hand in a brilliant team try to Widdop, kicking ahead for his captain for his captain's 48th minute try, shrugging off some early errors, including the one that opened the door for Nick Cotric's third-minute four-pointer.

"He came up with a few errors but it was great to see he didn't go into becoming quiet,” McGregor said.

"For a young bloke that's really pleasing because he's still learning his craft at fullback. Sometimes when you're a young guy, in the week to week rigours of the NRL, when you come up with a couple of errors you can go quiet, but I think Duft really grew and got us back in the game through sheer brilliance.

“[He had] a couple of errors, a couple of tries, so it was a mixed day, but he certainly brings a point of difference with that speed.”

Jack de Belin and Joey Leilua traded tries in the first half after Cotric's opener, with two penalty goals to Widdop seeing the scores level at 10 apiece at halftime.

The Dragons led 18-12 after Widdop's try before the Raiders leveled up through another long-range effort to Jordan Rapana. It gave them a sniff before Dufty's solo show sealed the deal.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5415974/dufty-sees-off-raiders-in-mudgee-road-war/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
Dynamic Dufty soaring as Dragons’ No.1 man

It’s almost been a year to the day since Josh Dugan announced he was leaving St George Illawarra to take up the big bucks he believed he was worth at Cronulla.

But rising star Matt Dufty has proven to be worth the punt as his replacement after sparking the ladder leaders to a 25-18 win over Canberra on Sunday.

Both Dufty and the Dragons were in danger of dropping back-to-back defeats when they bumbled their way to a two-point deficit with 20 minutes to go in Mudgee.

However, the 22-year-old overcame an error-prone start to turn in arguably his best performance of his young career with two moments of individual brilliance in the clutch.

First he set up skipper Gareth Widdop with a clever kick ahead in a 50-metre movement early in the second half, before burning four defenders with his trademark speed to seal the victory.

Dufty admitted he had previously struggled with allowing errors to affect his game, but has revelled in the support of Widdop and the rest of his teammates.

“In (under) 20s, if I made an error it affected me for a while. But coming into grade, everyone makes errors and one error at the start of the game isn’t going to lose you the game,” he said.

“So you’ve just got to let it go. Especially when ‘Gaz’ and everyone are saying, ‘Duff, head up, we’ve got your back.’ It makes you feel better and makes you let things go a bit easier.”

He also said he had grown accustomed to being targeted by opposition teams because of his size.

On separate occasions against the Raiders he was on the receiving end of a high shot from Josh Papalii and a shoulder charge from Joseph Tapine that were both placed on report.

“Teams do that but that’s footy and that’s why we play, you love the contact and the collisions. It makes footy, footy. And if you can’t handle it, it’s not the sport for you,” Dufty said.

“We’ve got a big forward pack ourselves and when they tell you, ‘We’ve got your back, Duff’, it makes you feel a lot better.”

Dragons coach Paul McGregor was pleased to see Dufty bounce back from his disappointing start.

“Sometimes when you’re a young guy in the vigours of playing week to week NRL, when you come up with a couple of errors you can go quiet,” he said.

“But I thought Duff at different stages really grew and got us back in the game through sheer brilliance. He had a mixed day but he certainly makes a point of difference with that speed.

https://www.sportsnews.com.au/nrl/dynamic-dufty-soaring-as-dragons-no-1-man/434236

getsmarty

Immortal
duftym-18520711rc.jpg

DRAGONS

Dufty has no issue with being targeted
Author
Chris Kennedy
Timestamp
Mon 21 May 2018, 07:01 AM

Match-winning Dragons fullback Matt Dufty has no problem with opposition forwards targeting him as the Raiders did during Sunday's match in Mudgee.

Dufty hit back well from a costly early error that put the Raiders in range to score the opening try of the match, conjuring a brilliant solo try in the second half to effectively win the game for his team, having also played a key role in creating a wonderful and crucial team try finished off by skipper Gareth Widdop.

He also came in for some rough treatment from the Raiders forwards, who clearly had a plan to make life tough for pint-sized speedster.

As well as a few other physical challenges, both Josh Papalii (high tackle) and Joe Tapine (shoulder charge) finished up on report for challenges on Dufty.

Speaking after the game, the 22-year-old Penshurst RSL junior welcomed the contact and couldn't keep the smile off his face.

Match highlights: Dragons v Raiders - Round 11, 2018

"Teams do that [target ball-players] but that's footy and that's why we play, you love the contact and the collisions," Dufty said.

"It makes footy footy and if you can't handle it, it's not the sport for you. We've got a big forward pack ourselves and when they tell you 'we've got your back Duff' it makes you feel a lot better."

He said he had noticed the game-planning from rival teams trying to limit his influence on matches was on another level compared to in the under-20s and Intrust Super Premiership competitions.

"You've just got to go out and adjust to how you play footy and when you take those opportunities and when to run and when to take a tackle. It's all a learning experience, I'm growing more confident in my role every week," he added.

One of the key developments in his game this year had been the ability to bounce back from errors – not that he's made a lot – but the dropped ball that helped Canberra to an early 4-0 lead could have been disastrous for his confidence a year ago.

"That's the big thing I've been working on moving from 20s to grade, you can't let one little error affect you for the rest of the game. You've got to let it go and keep playing footy," Dufty said.

"I definitely feel more comfortable week in week out. Having the backing of Gaz and Hunty [halves Gareth Widdop and Ben Hunt] to make plays and they've got confidence in me to do it, that gives you confidence to go out and do your thing.''

Widdop finishes off great Dragons try

His coach Paul McGregor also praised the performance.

"He came up with a few errors but great to see he didn't go into being quiet and for a young bloke that's really pleasing because he's still learning his craft at fullback," McGregor said.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/21...-matt-dufty-has-no-issue-with-being-targeted/

getsmarty

Immortal
simst-1852021rc.jpg

DRAGONS

McGregor likes the way his players are bouncing back
Author
Chris Kennedy
Timestamp
Sun 20 May 2018, 05:45 PM

Dragons coach Paul McGregor says the most important part of Sunday's 25-18 win over Canberra in Mudgee wasn't banking wins ahead of a tough Origin period, or winning while down on form, but simply hitting back after a loss for the second time this year.

The Dragons were frustrated into a 20-12 by an impressive Warriors outfit in round seven and bounced back with a crucial and convincing Anzac Day win over the Roosters.

Last week the Red V was shut down by an energetic South Sydney pack and again hit back, this time teaching Canberra a lesson in how to close out a tight game.

"The sign of a good side is winning when you're not at your best and we did enough today to win which is very pleasing," McGregor said.

"We were thinking the correct state of mind with our execution at times was a little bit off. We were happy to get the two points, certainly we'll take a lot of today and move forward into a really tough game next week against Penrith.

"We bounced back after a loss for the second time this year so that's pretty important. I thought the control the boys had at different stages when we got some good field position was very good.

"I never thought we'd lose the game, but it was challenging at times when we continued to give the opposition opportunity through ourselves a little bit."

Match highlights: Dragons v Raiders - Round 11, 2018

With the entire Dragons starting forward pack outside James Graham in with a genuine shot of making Brad Fittler's Blues team for the Holden State of Origin opener, McGregor knows wins now are crucial.

"We know what we've got coming," McGregor said.

"I don't know how many but next week we play another quality team [in Penrith] the week before the [NSW] team get picked.

"So I'm sure all the players in my shed will be really keen to go out there and play at their best next week in front of what will be a good crowd, in front of the selectors and Freddie, and to give themselves every opportunity to make that Blues jumper.

"One would think Benny [Hunt] is a shoo-in for Queensland, but we'll worry about Origin when it comes up to be honest and when we know a bit more about it.

"But we're certainly putting things in place with our young guys."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/20...-likes-the-way-his-players-are-bouncing-back/

getsmarty

Immortal
De Belin masks pain for Origin injection
2:06 PM AEST
  • Matt Encarnacion

Jack de Belin's received painkilling injections for the past two weeks, but it might not be enough to numb the pain of another State of Origin snub.

The NSW hopeful has revealed he's been a week-to-week proposition for St George Illawarra as he battles through a hip injury in the hope of securing a maiden Blues jumper.

De Belin initially suffered a hip flexor issue in a whack from Melbourne hooker Brandon Smith a fortnight ago, but hoped to play through the pain with the aid of painkillers.

The Dragons lock lasted less than 30 minutes in last week's NRL loss to South Sydney before succumbing to injury, but bounced back with another strong performance in Sunday's win over Canberra.

"I knew I'd be much better this week and a lot more confident playing on it," de Belin said.

"It's a week-to-week thing and it's just going to get better with time. It was much better (on Sunday), which was good.

"Looking back on it I probably shouldn't have played last week. I didn't train all week and then got it needled hoping it would come good but I was in a lot of pain.

"I should be better than that and be able to play injured but it just wasn't very good."

De Belin finished the game against the Raiders with 139 metres gained, five busted tackles, two line breaks and a try, but wasn't completely satisfied with his effort.

"It was a bit of a mixed-bag game, to be honest. I had a couple of errors that I wouldn't normally have. It just felt like it was coming a bit too easy there and probably forced a few little things," he said.

The 27-year-old is widely considered in strong contention to be selected on Sunday in Brad Fittler's game-one team, one year after almost getting a crack in the Origin decider.

The previous year he was in an emerging Blues camp.

"Then last year I was in the squad the whole time, was 18th man a couple of times, and was obviously pretty close playing in the final game when Boyd Cordner was right up until game time," he said.

"So I've been on the cusp for a while now.

"I'd love to be playing Origin. I'd be doing everything to put my hand up but at the moment, all I've got to do is worry about club footy and put my best performance for the Red V."

http://www.espn.com.au/nrl/story/_/id/23558702/de-belin-masks-pain-origin-injection

getsmarty

Immortal
debelinj-1852061rc.jpg

DRAGONS

De Belin happy to play through pain
Author
Chris Kennedy
Timestamp
Mon 21 May 2018, 04:39 PM

Dragons lock Jack De Belin is dirty on himself for not getting through last week's loss to South Sydney due to a painful hip pointer injury but didn't look at all troubled by the injury during his starring role against the Raiders in Mudgee on Sunday.

De Belin admitted after the game he "probably shouldn't have played" against Souths, lasting just 10 minutes of his second-half stint before being forced from the field.

The injury was incurred late in his team's win over Melbourne in round nine when hard-hitting rookie Brandon Smith aimed a shoulder into De Belin's ribs and clipped his hip.

But with De Belin on the verge of a long-awaited Origin chance and his team desperate for a hit-back after the Souths loss, a pain-killing needle was all he needed to inspire his Dragons to a 25-18 win in which he scored a try and produced three offloads, 148 running metres and 38 tackles in a power-packed 56 minutes.

"Looking back on it I probably shouldn't have played last week," De Belin said.

For any #NRLFantasy coaches - here is the moment Jack De Belin picked up his hip pointer injury in #NRLDragonsStorm.#NRL pic.twitter.com/9toiRMmKxA

— NRL Fantasy (@NRLFantasy) May 21, 2018
"I didn't train all week and then got it needled hoping it would come good but I was in a lot of pain. Looking back I probably shouldn't have played. Obviously, a week is a long time and it's feeling much better. I got it needled again and it felt a lot better.

"Even still, I should be better than that and be able to play injured but it wasn't very good."

De Belin recalled the shot that did the damage a fortnight ago.

"It was right at the end of the Melbourne game, the little hooker [Brandon Smith] gave me a real good shot on it and it honestly felt like I broke my ribs. It was a bit down lower but, on my hip pointer.

"Smith, he's a little tank machine. He didn't miss. It honestly felt like I broke my ribs."

De Belin is on record plenty of times saying he feels like his game would be suited to Origin. He was on the extended bench for all three games last year and was 18th man in the series decider, at a time when an injury cloud over skipper Boyd Cordner almost handed him a debut.

However, with a debut this year looking all but inevitable, De Belin wasn't willing to jinx himself.

"I'm not even worrying about Origin, I'm just worrying about club footy and put good performances together for the Dragons.

''That's all we can do at the moment, keep playing well in club footy. We didn't play the best [against Canberra] but we got the win. It's going to go a long way hopefully."

Pressed on what an Origin chance would mean to him, De Belin admits he'd relish the chance.

''I've been on the cusp for a while now. Mate, I'd love to be playing Origin.

''I'd be doing everything to put my hand up but at the moment, all I've got to do is worry about club footy and put my hand up and put my best performance for the Red V," he added.

Stars unite for Beanies For Brain Cancer

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/05/21/de-belin-happy-to-play-through-pain/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons support Beanie for Brain Cancer Round
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 23 May 2018, 11:13 AM

St George Illawarra Dragons players have recently visited both St George and Wollongong Hospital ahead of the Beanie for Brain Cancer Round.

Beanie for Brain Cancer Round, the brainchild of the late Nine NRL Executive Producer Matt Callander, produced an incredible display of generosity in 2017 and will look to go one further in 2018 in association with the Mark Hughes Foundation.

Nene Macdonald, Hame Sele and Matt Dufty visited the children's ward in St George Hospital last week; while Tim Lafai, Leeson Ah Mau and Kurt Mann were at Wollongong Hospital's neuro ward on Tuesday.

The Dragons encourage all Red V Members and fans to buy a beanie and wear in support ahead of the huge top of the table clash against the Penrith Panthers this weekend.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/05/23/dragons-support-beanie-for-brain-cancer-round/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2018: Narrow focus for NSW hopeful McInnes
Dragons Den News
r0_0_3514_2343_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

BRAINS TRUST: Cameron McInnes and Paul McGregor at Dragons training. Picture: Adam McLean.

DRAGONS hooker Cam McInnes is a self-confessed footy head – and it's not just the tooth missing from his gums.

Most seasons, when the 24-year-old isn't playing footy, he's watching it. This season, however, he's given it a miss. Even so, he hasn't been immune to the State of Origin selection talk that's followed him, and his side, since preseason.

There's simply avoiding ahead of Saturday's clash with Penrith at Panthers Stadium, a one v two clash that will feature no less than 12 Origin hopefuls just 48 hours before Brad Fittler names his Blues side for game one.

McInnes remains locked in a battle with Damien Cook for the NSW No. 9 but insists that won't be on his mind when he runs out in front of the Panthers faithful.

“Even though I'm not on social media and things like that, it's impossible not to hear [Origin speculation],” McInnes said.

“That's the just the reality of it. If you want to bury your head in the sand, that's naive, so it's not about burying my head in the sand, it's just about keeping my focus narrow.

“It's an approach I've taken this year for me keeping my head clear. I love footy and sometimes [in the past] I've found myself watching every game, but for me, I look forward to coming to training every day and playing every week with the way I'm approaching things right now.

“I haven't watched a great deal of footy this year, other than my own games and the teams I'm up against, so I couldn't really tell you how other players have been going every week.

“I don't know how I sit, I don't know what the selectors are thinking. I just know I owe it to the boys, the club and the fans to focus on how I'm playing for the Dragons. If we play well as a team, and if I play well individually, those things can happen.”

While Ben Hunt and Tyson Frizell are all but assured of selection, Saturday will be the final chance for the club's other hopefuls to push their claims for a maiden Blues jumper.

McInnes puts the number of contenders down to the team first mentality driving the 9-2 start to the season that's set up Saturday's top of the table clash.

“There's a lot of talk around [Origin] and we'd all be lying if we said we don't want to play,” McInnes said.

“We all want to play, of course we do, but I think the reason we've been going so well is guys are putting their egos aside and doing what's best for the team, not what's best for them to make Origin.

“The funny thing is, when you do that, that's probably when you get picked. On Sunday or Monday, I'd be so happy for the boys if a few of their names are in there. As long as we keep playing well for each other, those good things will happen.”

Whether he gets the nod or not, McInnes is confident his side's NRL campaign won't be derailed by a demanding rep season.

“I can understand why there's a bit of thought like that,” McInnes said.

"Last year we did struggle through that period but I think, with the approach we're taking as a team, I'm very confident it's not going to affect us.

"To me it's just an excuse anyway. All 16 teams are going to be affected to some degree whether it be Origin, the Internationals coming up, injuries, that's just the nature of it.

“That's why the best team is there in October, because they're able to withstand all those things.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5424759/narrow-focus-for-nsw-hopeful-mcinnes/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
KICKOFF: Dragons contemplate Origin drain
Dragons Den News
r0_0_2253_3500_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

MAGNIFICENT SEVEN: Ben Hornby, Trent Barrett, Matt Cooper, Luke Bailey, Mark Gasnier, Ben Creagh and Jason Ryles were part of a club record contingent of Blues during the the 2005 Origin series. Picture: Ken Robertson

And so it begins. The State of Origin period set to derail the Dragons season.

At least that’s what the red v faithful fear, and rival fans hope. It’s founded on some evidence after witnessing the Dragons fade out of the top eight last season, with only a fraction of rep commitment they’ll no doubt encounter this season.

Heading into Saturday’s one versus two clash with Penrith, the Dragons have seven players in legitimate contention for selection.

Should they all earn Origin call-ups it would equal the club record seven players who took part in the 2005 series. The Dragons also contributed six players in 2004 and five in 2006.

They reached the prelim final in two of those three seasons but Mark Gasnier, who played in five series during his career, recalls his final campaign in 2011 being the toughest.

A year after claiming the 2010 crown, Wayne Bennett's side had six players involved, including debutants Jamie Soward and Trent Merrin, while Beau Scott was yet to play a full series.

The Dragons won 10 of 11 games to start that year before hitting the Origin period. The ultimately won three of their last 11 before being bundled out of the finals in straight sets.

A heavy representative toll played no small part in the limp to the finish line according to Gasnier.

“When you go back to 2004-2005 and even 06, a lot of our guys who played Origin had played eight or nine Origins at that stage,” Gasnier told Kickoff this week.

“You look at 2011, we didn’t handle it that well. We got a lot of players in, debutants to, and that’s the big difference.

“There’s a difference between getting a lot of players in Origin that have played it a lot, and a lot of players that are playing their first series. You’re first series drains you physically and mentally like you’ve never been drained before.

“That’s main thing Mary [Paul McGregor] will want to handle because the only guy you could classify as having a lot of experience is Tyson Frizell.

“For a lot of the other guys it’ll be relatively new to them, if they are to get as many picked as people think.”

What also plays in the club’s favour is a relatively friendly draw. They will be one of eight teams with a bye next week and will have five days to recover ahead of their round 14 clash with the Bulldogs.

Origin II will be played on a standalone weekend for the first time this season, though they’ll play the Eels four days later, presumably with Gareth Widdop and James Graham backing from Denver Test duty with England.

They’ll have to go without their Origin contingent for their round 17 clash with Melbourne ahead of game three – the only time rep stars will be flat-out unavailable for selection – before playing the Tigers in Wollongong in round 18.

It’s a tough stretch no doubt, but manageable. The proof will ultimately be in the pudding, but the Dragons have certainly put themselves in a strong position, particularly if they can knock of Penrith for a 10-2 start to the season.

It would give McGregor the option of resting players, something that wasn’t a common occurrence in Gasnier’s day.

“Back then there wasn’t too much compensation from coaches,” Gasnier said.

“You were more judged on how you backed up rather than getting a rest but I think we’ve come a long way in that regard.

“If you’re up the top of the table you’ve got the luxury of resting players during the Origin period which makes a big difference.

“If they win on Saturday night, they could potentially be four points clear at the top of the ladder so that’s a good buffer to have. They’ve got the standalone weekend and the bye so I think the draw’s been good to them.

“Knowing Mary the way I do, he’ll have a back up plan to a back up plan to a back up plan. It’s a situation he’ll need to handle, but it’ll be well thought out no doubt.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5426368/kickoff-dragons-contemplate-origin-drain/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons Journeyman just enjoying the ride
Dragons Den News
r0_0_2739_1826_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

TEAM MAN: There's no more popular man in the Dragons dressing sheds than Jeremy Latimore. Picture: Adam McLean.

COACHES call them “glue players.” The guys who don’t always get noticed, but they hold all the other moving parts in place.

They don’t match the talent – or certainly the pay packet – of their star teammates, but they don’t mind taking them down a peg or two.

Dragons prop Jeremy Latimore is one of those guys. The honest toiler on the park and the chief prankster on the Dragons bus.

Even as the self-described “journeymen” chats to The Mercury ahead of his 150th game this weekend, teammates walk past tossing barbs. He throws his own back. It’s all good fun.

“I try to bring them back to earth,” Latimore says of higher profle teammates.

“That’s my goal every day. I do open myself up and when they get a chance, they rip straight back into me which I deserve.

“I’ve just got to cop it on the chin. It makes it fun coming to training and having a laugh. It’s a great crew of boys who enjoy coming in every day.”

It's where the 31-year-old’s value lies according to coach Paul McGregor.

“He’s a team player and he's a person that goes to different clubs and he leaves with friendships,” McGregor said.

“There’s other people who bounce around clubs because of the opposite. He’s one who does the right thing everywhere he goes and that’s why he always finds a new club.

“He’s back with us now after being here in 2012. He’s always got energy, he’s always laughing. He knows where he’s at in his career, he knows he’s a squad member, an important one.

“He’s an experienced player and the other players absolutely adore him, so they love having him around.”

For the record, it’s five clubs and 10 seasons since debuting with the Eels in 2009. He’s also had stints at the Warriors, Panthers and Sharks, while he played his first season with the Dragons in 2012.

“I know every postcode in Sydney,” Latimore joked.

“I’ve been a bit of a journeyman but there’s been a lot of hard work to get where I am now. [150 games] is a little milestone I’m pretty happy with.

“At the end of the day it’s more about the game this week and going out and playing well, but it’s something I can sit back after the game and look on fondly.

“Before I played first grade I had a lot of self-doubt. I had a lot of injuries when I was young and you wonder if it’s ever going to happen.

“It’s up and down at times, life on the fringe, but I’ve enjoyed every step and I love playing rugby league with my teammates. I’ve met a lot of good people along the way so I definitely can’t complain.”

He also won’t complain if the 2018 season is his last, though he plans to stay on the ride as long as he can.

“I’m ready to go post-footy, I’m going to get into mortgage broking, so whatever happens happens but I’m enjoying my footy at the moment,” he said.

“Working can wait if I can get another year at the Dragons. I’m loving my time here so I won’t look to go anywhere else.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5429973/dragons-journeyman-just-enjoying-the-ride/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
DRAGONS

Mary confident injured trio will be fit for Origin
Author
Tanisha Stanton
Timestamp
Sun 27 May 2018, 12:00 AM

Injuries to Origin hopefuls Ben Hunt, Jack de Belin and Tariq Sims added to St George Illawarra's woes as they surrendered top spot on the ladder in a 28-2 loss to the Panthers.

The Dragons were held tryless for the first time since round 14 last year as their attacking mojo deserted them and the injuries to Hunt (corked thigh), Tariq Sims (leg) and de Belin (hip) only made matters worse.

With the NSW and Queensland sides to be chosen on Monday, McGregor remained upbeat for his star trio, suggesting they should be right to play in Game One if chosen for their respective states.

"Ben got a bump in the leg and Tariq got a knock as well. They were affected but they won't be in any doubt for Origin selection or when we play next," McGregor said.

"Jack aggravated an old injury but I'd say he'd be OK too."

McGregor said Hunt was determined to stay out on the field but the Dragons medical staff decided to take no chances with their star halfback.

Match Highlights: Panthers v Dragons - Round 12, 2018

"He was limping around and he wouldn't have been as effective as he needed to be [if we'd left him out there]," McGregor said.

"It's got to be about the welfare of the players in that situation, not just winning a game of footy."

The Dragons have now lost two of their past three matches and share a 9-3 record with the Panthers.

Both sides have a bye in round 13.

"We would have liked to play better going into a bye, there's no doubt about that. We knew how important this game was," McGregor said.

"The second half they were much more dominant, their line speed was good and they were more physical than us.

"They dominated field position, the halves played over the advantage line, engaged the line well and they were just too good on the night."

Hunt will be fine: Aitken

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/05/27/mary-confident-injured-trio-will-be-fit-for-origin/

getsmarty

Immortal
Hip injury no concern for de Belin
Dragons Den News
JACK de Belin admits he thought the worst. His side had already suffered a tough loss to the Panthers in Saturday's top-of-the-table clash, so copping a bump that could've cost him a long awaited Origin call-up would've been a tough pill.

r0_116_2984_1795_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

The 27-year-old hitman only had to make it through the match to earn the maiden Blues jumper many consider overdue, but he's is confident the knock to the dodgy hip he's carried since round nine won't hamper him come Origin I.

“It's not too bad, hopefully it's just a little stinger,” de Belin said of the knock that forced him from the field with seven minutes left on Saturday night.

“It was just more scary than anything else, getting a knock on it just when I thought it was coming good, but it doesn't feel as bad as when I initially did it which is good.

“It's in a bit of a weird spot and it feels a bit similar to when you break your ribs, just the wind taken away from you. I kind of had that feeling again but once I managed to walk it off a bit it felt a lot better.

“[Origin's] just right around the corner and nothing's guaranteed so I like to think I was close, if not on the cusp of being there so nothing changes and hopefully it's all good.”

De Belin first suffered the injury in the Dragons round nine win over Melbourne and admits he was a passenger a week later against Souths, but he's confident he'll be fine to play without a pain-killing injection in the series opener at the MCG.

“I was pretty close to playing without a needle [against Penrith] but I didn't want to risk it because I wanted to put a good performance in to stick in the selectors mind,” he said.

“I was tossing up [Saturday] night whether to get a needle or not but there was still a little bit of pain there so I didn't want to risk it.

“It's definitely getting better, I've been able to train as well so it's been really good. It's just one of those things, it's a niggle that hangs around and it gets better week to week.

“At the back end there the needle was wearing off a bit so that's why the pain was a little bit more scary than initially thought.

“I'm no different to everyone else this time of year. We're halfway through the comp so everyone's carrying a few niggles and everyone's feeling a little bit worse for wear so I'm no different to anyone else.”

There were as many as 12 Blues hopefuls in action at Panthers Stadium on Saturday night, with the Penrith contingent all putting their hand up in the 28-2 win.

It was a tough night for the Dragons but, having gone 9-3 to start the season, de Belin was hopeful the result wouldn't count against his side at the selection table.

“We've played 12 rounds now so it'd be silly to pick a team off one game the week going into Origin,” de Belin said.

“The work's already been done, we've done everything we can to play Origin and all of us have said we want to play.

“It was one of those games, we were both one and two and the powerhouse sides at the moment, and they obviously wanted it a bit more than us.

"Credit to them they turned up, it was a bit of an arm-wrestle game and they came over the top of us in the end. It's obviously up to Freddie and the selectors but, if we do get selected, it would be a great honour.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5431143/hip-injury-no-concern-for-de-belin/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
huntb-180526-gp-31.jpg

DRAGONS

Hunt won't let corked thigh keep him out of Origin
Author
Tanisha Stanton
Timestamp
Sun 27 May 2018, 06:01 PM

Ben Hunt has been waiting several seasons for an opportunity at Origin and won't let a minor injury like a corked quad get in the way of him placing his hands on Queensland's No.7 jersey.

Hunt who is almost certain to be selected as the Maroons starting halfback is confident he can overcome the injury in time for game one on June 6. But he still remains nervous about selection on Monday.

"I knew it was just a bad cork straight away but at the same time you do think that [the worst]," Hunt said.

Dragons teammates, Euan Aitken and Jack de Belin, are also fighting niggly injuries but they are the concern of NSW selectors, not Hunt. He is feeling stressed enough.

"Extremely anxious [about selection]," Hunt said after the Dragons suffered a heavy 28-2 loss to the Panthers on Saturday night.

"This has been the biggest opportunity I've had to get in that position," said the man who has been in both Mal Meninga and Kevin Walters' extended benches recently.

Hunt will be fine: Aitken

"I feel I've played pretty well to start the year and put my hand up and now it's in the selectors hands and Kevvie's hands now and whichever way they want to go."

With the likes of Johnathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk having the mortgage on the No.7 position in previous years, Hunt is determined to follow in the footsteps of some of the game's greatest halfbacks. But says he would be honoured just to be anywhere in the team.

de-belinj-injured-1852641rc.jpg

Dragons forward Jack de Belin leaves the field injured. :copyright:Robb Cox/NRL Photos
"Preferably yes [wear the No.7] but at the end of the day I don't really care where they put me," Hunt said.

"I'll wear No.10 if they want me too. It doesn't bother me, I'd just be honoured to be in the team anywhere."

De Belin is also confident a recurrence of a hip injury won't prevent him for lining up for NSW.

"It's not too bad, hopefully it's just a stinger," de Belin said.

"I think it was just more scary than anything getting a knock on it when I thought it was coming good but it doesn't feel as bad as when I initially did it which is good.

"I was tossing up tonight whether to get a needle or not but there was still a little bit of pain there and I didn't want to risk it and got it needled again. At the back end there, the needle was starting to ware off a little bit and that's maybe why the pain was a little bit more scary than I initially thought," de Belin said.

"[Origin] is just around the corner and nothing is guaranteed or anything but I'd like to think I was definitely close, or if not, on the cusp of being there. Nothing changes - hopefully it's all good."

Aitken faces a stiffer challenge to get in the side up against the likes of Latrell Mitchell, James Roberts and potentially Tom Trbojevic being picked at centre if James Tedesco gets the fullback jersey.

aitkene-1852622rc.jpg

Dragons centre Euan Aitken :copyright:Robb Cox/NRL Photos
Aitken has dreamt of running out in a Blues jersey and is positive that if his time comes he can step up.

"It's always been a dream, it's always in the back of my mind that that's the future goal, obviously I want to strive for that and the first plan was to get the body right and after that play some good footy, I think I've done that," Aitken said, adding the Dragons depth should be fine during the Origin period.

"I think we will go well, we got some good depth there in the youngsters, Jackson Ford, Jai Field, a few of them blokes are going to step up and do the job so I think they'll be fine.

"To sit where we are after 12 rounds after playing against eight of the top eight teams there it's definitely good going forward."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/05/28/hunt-wont-let-corked-thigh-keep-him-out-of-origin/

getsmarty

Immortal
Improving De Belin determined to pull pin on Origin needle

Jack de Belin wants to ditch the weekly pain-killing injections that have kept him in the hunt for a maiden State of Origin jumper, insisting his delicate hip-pointer problem has improved dramatically in recent weeks.

Having reverted to a weekly pre-game needle to stay on the park for the Dragons – and in the frame for a NSW debut – the St George Illawarra enforcer has spoken about his desire to suit up for the Blues without a jab to numb the discomfort.

De Belin grimaced and stumbled from the field late in the heavy loss to the Panthers on Saturday night, sparking fears he would be in doubt for the Melbourne Cricket Ground opener on June 6.

He is expected to be named in Brad Fittler's first NSW squad when its announced on Monday night.

Asked whether he would make his Origin debut without the help of a pain-killing injection, de Belin said: "I was kind of tossing up [on Saturday night] whether to get a needle or not, but there was still a little bit of pain there and I didn't want to risk it and do it again.

"At the back end there, the needle was starting to wear off a bit and maybe that was why the pain was a little bit [worse] than initially thought. I think it was just more scary than anything getting a knock on it again when I thought it was coming good.

I didn't want to risk it and wanted to put in a good performance to stick in the selectors' minds.

Jack de Belin
"It's definitely feeling better than when I initially did it, and I was pretty close to playing [against the Panthers] without a needle. I didn't want to risk it and wanted to put in a good performance to stick in the selectors' minds."

The Cootamundra product was one of two injury concerns for the Dragons' projected Origin representatives, the other being halfback Ben Hunt, who failed to finish the Panthers clash after a cork to his quadriceps.

Ironically, Hunt's cork was caused by some friendly fire from de Belin.

Panthers
Hunt, de Belin in Origin doubt as Panthers halves decimate Dragons
St George Illawarra's deflating loss at the foot of the mountains should do little to deter Fittler's enthusiasm for the long-time competition pacesetters, who made up the bulk of a stellar cast in an 11th-hour NSW audition against the Panthers.

And he was expected to include de Belin and Paul Vaughan in his first NSW side alongside Blues mainstay Tyson Frizell.

"What is it – we've played 12 rounds now – you'd be silly to pick the team off one game the week going into Origin," de Belin said. "The work's already been done. We've done everything we can to put our hands up and play Origin, and all of us have said we've wanted to play.

"It's up to Freddy and the selectors, but if we do get chosen it will be a great honour and achievement."

But a trio of other St George Illawarra stars, including Tariq Sims, Cameron McInnes and Euan Aitken, were understood to have missed out on NSW selection despite the Dragons' stunning start to the year.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/im...ull-pin-on-origin-needle-20180527-p4zhs4.html