What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

rednwhites

Juniors
I'm not saying Bennett will necessarily bring us another premiership but he is a million times better than the 'Steelers legend' Mary McGregor.

I really hope Bennett and JD make their way back to us for next year.

Reading this (which might be rubbish) is the only thing that has me feeling positive right now as I know McGregor can't take us to victory at Leichardt this week.

getsmarty

Immortal
mannk-1872923rc.jpg

DRAGONS

Mann ready to fill Widdop's void
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 14 Aug 2018, 05:33 PM

Kurt Mann believes he can bolster St George Illawarra's left-edge defence and dig the Dragons out of their late-season slump before the finals after being handed the No.6 jersey for Saturday's match against Wests Tigers.

The 25-year-old has been named at five-eighth in place of injured captain Gareth Widdop for the clash with the Tigers at Leichhardt Oval, partnering Ben Hunt in the halves after Widdop dislocated his shoulder in last Saturday's 40-4 loss to Parramatta.

Cameron McInnes and Tyson Frizell will share the captaincy duties in Widdop's absence.

Mann, who has alternated between interchange utility and right wing in his 21 matches for the Dragons this season, will deputise for Widdop until the English playmaker's return in three-to-six weeks.

"I think I play my best footy when I play in the halves and some of the best games I have played have been when I have played five-eighth,” said Mann, who has spent most of his 750 minutes of game time this season as a ball-playing forward.

Kimmorley and Toovey's take on Hunt’s form

"It suits my body type a bit better to play in the halves rather than the second row. I'm not the biggest barnstorming back-rower."

With Jarryd Hayne scoring a hat-trick of tries on the right wing for the Eels, St George Illawarra's left-edge defence has been identified as an area they need to improve. Mann was confident of being able to assist Tariq Sims, Tim Lafai and Nene Macdonald on that side.

Mann will also look to add to the team's attack, as he did last year after Widdop suffered a knee injury in the Anzac Day match against Sydney Roosters and again later in the season when promoted in place of halfback Josh McCrone.

"In the games I played there last year I sort of added something different. I don't mind throwing the ball around a bit," he said.

While he hasn't had a regular starting position this season, Mann trained in the halves with Hunt at the start of the year and is confident they can form a good combination.

He said criticism of the club's star 2018 recruit was unwarranted and backed him to lead the team into the finals after dropping out of the top four for the first time this season after losing five of their last six matches.

"I did a bit of work with Benny in the pre-season and he certainly makes things a whole lot easier when you are playing outside him," Mann said. "He controls a lot of the shape and everything else and you don't really have to think much, you just play off the back of it.

Ben Hunt: We're not chokers

"I think he is still playing good footy, you saw that in Origin. He got criticised after Origin II and in Game III he came out and killed it - he had a blinder - but I don't think [all] the weight should be on his shoulders.

"It is a team sport and across the park people aren't playing at their best at the moment. A lot of teams at this time of the year, and especially around Origin, go through form slumps. It is not just this team that has done it and it is nothing new."

McInnes also spoke out in support of Hunt and said Mann would help stiffen their defence.

"Our whole focus has just got to be on defence and grinding teams down, it doesn't need to be anything flashy," McInnes said. "We have some great options at half who are great defenders so that is what we need.

"In terms of Benny and the way he is playing now, his talk is as good as ever, he is demanding the footy, he is competing. In terms of his influence on the team, it is huge and it is as big as ever. I wouldn't want to play with another halfback."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/08/14/mann-ready-to-fill-widdops-void/

getsmarty

Immortal
DRAGONS

Zac Lomax extends stay at Dragons
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:08 PM

St George Illawarra young gun Zac Lomax has extended his stay with the Dragons for a further season.

Although not off-contract until the completion of the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership season, Lomax will now be at the club until at least the end of 2020.

The 18-year-old made his NRL debut back in Round 10 against the South Sydney Rabbitohs. A long-term hand injury has prevented him from featuring in first grade since.

The Temora Dragons junior is a two-time Australian Schoolboy and an Under-18s New South Wales Origin player. In 2017, Lomax was awarded NSWRL's Player of the Year for his age group.

Lomax – who only joined the Dragons' top 30 squad in 2018 – was pleased to prolong his time at the Red V.

"It's definitely a good decision I've made to extend my stay at the Dragons. My family and I are very happy to stay at the club. To come through the junior reps to now with the first grade squad, I can't thank the Dragons enough," Lomax said.

"The goal for me is to earn a spot in the first grade side and hopefully I'll play a few more before the season is out. It was a dream come true making my NRL debut so I'm looking forward to what's ahead."

Dragons Director of Rugby League Pathways and List Management Ian Millward didn't shy away from Lomax's budding prospects in the years to come.

"Zac is one of the most promising players to come through our ranks in many years. He's a player we look at building this team around in the long-term because we think he has all the attributes to be an outstanding NRL player," Millward said.

"We do look at him as a long-term centre and we don't hide that fact at all. Although this is just an extension to 2020, we look at Zac as if he'll be a 10-year player for the Dragons and challenge for higher representatives.

"We're confident his potential will turn into a reality."

Lomax joins the likes of Cameron McInnes, Matt Dufty, Luciano Leilua, Joe Lovodua and Josh Kerr to extend their stay at the Dragons this season.

They will be joined by Brisbane Broncos prop Korbin Sims who signed a three-year deal with the Dragons in July.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/08/15/zac-lomax-extends-stay-at-dragons/

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra extend Zac Lomax's contract
Local Sport
r0_0_5106_3404_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Long-term plans: Zac Lomax. Picture: Sylvia Liber.

The St George Illawarra Dragons have extended the contract of emerging star Zac Lomax until the end of the 2020 season.

Previously contracted until the end of 2019, the Steelers junior will remain with the club for at least another season after signing the one-year contract extension.

Lomax made his NRL debut for the Dragons in the side’s round 10 loss to the Rabbitohs in May but has spent much of the season on the sidelines with a hand injury. The 18-year-old is looking to add to his tally in the closing week’s of the season.

“The goal for me is to earn a spot in the first grade side and hopefully I'll play a few more before the season is out,” Lomax said. “It was a dream come true making my NRL debut so I'm looking forward to what's ahead.”

Such is the regard Lomax is held at the club, Dragons recruitment manager Ian Millward labelled the centre a player the side will be built around throughout the next decade.

“Zac is one of the most promising players to come through our ranks in many years,” Millward said. “He's a player we look at building this team around in the long-term because we think he has all the attributes to be an outstanding NRL player.”

“We do look at him as a long-term centre and we don't hide that fact at all. Although this is just an extension to 2020, we look at Zac as if he'll be a 10-year player for the Dragons and challenge for higher representatives.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5587617/dragons-secure-talented-rookie/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL star Ben Hunt’s wife launches savage attack on his critics
THE wife of Dragons halfback Ben Hunt has launched a stunning attack on his critics, linking the “bullying” of athletes in the media to suicide.

news.com.auAugust 15, 201810:12pm

Lazy Ben Hunt gifts Eels a try
0b41c9a577107b7e9fb19f0921a6a320

4925424de1e6af4354b3ee7992313bf9

BEN Hunt’s wife Bridget has leapt to the NRL star’s defence and blasted his critics in the media for the “despicable bullying” she suggested could one day cost an athlete their life.

Hunt is in his first year with the Dragons after he was poached from the Broncos on a $6m, five-year deal (with an option for a sixth year) but after a promising start the wheels have fallen off.

St George was at the top of the table for much of the first half of the season but ever since Origin the side has gone on a downward spiral. The Dragons have lost five of their past six matches, including a 40-4 drubbing against 15th-placed Parramatta on the weekend.

It’s a trend the club has experienced in the past few seasons — starting strong and looking like a genuine premiership contender before running out of gas when the finals approach.

As the halfback and chief playmaker, Hunt has copped much of the blame. He was Queensland’s starting No. 7 in the first two Origin games but was relegated to the bench for Origin III after two uninspiring performances.

Since then his form at NRL level has also waned, resulting in a worrying display against the Eels where he had zero runs, sparking plenty of criticism.

But Bridget Hunt has hit out at those who trash players without any concern for how it affects their mental wellbeing, saying on social media it’s completely unfair to dump all the blame for the Dragons’ poor run on her husband’s shoulders.

She said she could no longer stay quiet on the matter and lashed the culture in rugby league that facilitates such constant criticism.

“You know what I’m sick to death of?? I’ve sat in silence for long enough not buying into it, but I’ve had a gut full (sic),” Bridget wrote on Instagram. “All of you people who work in the media and constantly bash the s*** out of players for their performances should be ashamed of yourself.

“You know what the number 1 killer of men between the age of 15-44 is? It’s suicide! And no wonder, the amount of bullying these people cause other people is despicable.

“Words have meaning! You may not think they affect the person, but they have meaning!

“It’s funny, that Ben is apparently being blamed for the Dragons’ performances of late, but it’s funny, last time I checked it’s his first year at the Dragons, and this has happened three years in a row.

“And it’s funny that there’s 17 people in a whole side, yet it’s all his fault!

“Players make errors when they are loosing (sic), and players make errors when they are winning too! Rugby league should not be condoning this culture!

“You would hate it if someone was talking to your children or parents that way, so why is it okay to do so in the game they play? It’s bullying & it’s not okay!

“We are just lucky that Ben is resilient and doesn’t get affected by this sort of stuff, but the story may go a different way for someone else.”

Bridget’s outburst comes after Hunt was the subject of much attention following the Dragons’ most recent loss. Ex-Maroons five-eighth Ben Ikin said Hunt needs to step up in the absence of his injured halves partner Gareth Widdop after an underwhelming showing since the Origin period.

“Gareth Widdop is out and like the Cowboys, who lost Johnathan Thurston (in 2017), a lot of the responsibility now with the Dragons No. 6 on the sideline will fall to Ben Hunt — he needs to be at his best,” Ikin said on NRL 360 on Tuesday.

“If you look at his numbers in that loss to the Eels, they were suitably unimpressive.

“I’ve picked up signs from Ben Hunt over the last month, post-Origin, his football started to get a little frantic and I could see that he gets rattled at times.

“When he gets rattled he tends to withdraw and (in) that game on the weekend I saw him withdraw.

“He needs to rediscover, as the Dragons chief playmaker left in that side, his best form ASAP or else the Red V are no chance.”

On Monday former NSW hooker Michael Ennis acknowledged while Hunt wasn’t the only culprit, if you’re a halfback getting paid $1 million a year you’ve got higher standards to meet.

“We can single out Ben Hunt because he’s come to the club as the marquee man, as the No. 7, and did he have any impact on the game the other night? No he didn’t. None at all,” Ennis told the Big League Wrap.

“That’s why he was brought to the club, to fix this time of year. When you come on a million dollars (a season) … you come there as the marquee man in the No. 7 jersey, you’re expected to stand up and deliver.”

Penrith great Mark Geyer was another to lay the boot in after the demoralising loss to Parramatta.

“They need more from Ben Hunt,” he said on Monday’s Triple M Rush Hour with MG. “Ben Hunt simply can’t be on a million dollars a year and have no runs for no metres.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/n...s/news-story/d7005efaa15980f3fdb38c3de633dd3b

NRL star Ben Hunt’s wife launches savage attack on his critics
THE wife of Dragons halfback Ben Hunt has launched a stunning attack on his critics, linking the “bullying” of athletes in the media to suicide.

news.com.auAugust 15, 201810:12pm

Lazy Ben Hunt gifts Eels a try
0b41c9a577107b7e9fb19f0921a6a320

4925424de1e6af4354b3ee7992313bf9

BEN Hunt’s wife Bridget has leapt to the NRL star’s defence and blasted his critics in the media for the “despicable bullying” she suggested could one day cost an athlete their life.

Hunt is in his first year with the Dragons after he was poached from the Broncos on a $6m, five-year deal (with an option for a sixth year) but after a promising start the wheels have fallen off.

St George was at the top of the table for much of the first half of the season but ever since Origin the side has gone on a downward spiral. The Dragons have lost five of their past six matches, including a 40-4 drubbing against 15th-placed Parramatta on the weekend.

It’s a trend the club has experienced in the past few seasons — starting strong and looking like a genuine premiership contender before running out of gas when the finals approach.

As the halfback and chief playmaker, Hunt has copped much of the blame. He was Queensland’s starting No. 7 in the first two Origin games but was relegated to the bench for Origin III after two uninspiring performances.

Since then his form at NRL level has also waned, resulting in a worrying display against the Eels where he had zero runs, sparking plenty of criticism.

But Bridget Hunt has hit out at those who trash players without any concern for how it affects their mental wellbeing, saying on social media it’s completely unfair to dump all the blame for the Dragons’ poor run on her husband’s shoulders.

She said she could no longer stay quiet on the matter and lashed the culture in rugby league that facilitates such constant criticism.

“You know what I’m sick to death of?? I’ve sat in silence for long enough not buying into it, but I’ve had a gut full (sic),” Bridget wrote on Instagram. “All of you people who work in the media and constantly bash the s*** out of players for their performances should be ashamed of yourself.

“You know what the number 1 killer of men between the age of 15-44 is? It’s suicide! And no wonder, the amount of bullying these people cause other people is despicable.

“Words have meaning! You may not think they affect the person, but they have meaning!

“It’s funny, that Ben is apparently being blamed for the Dragons’ performances of late, but it’s funny, last time I checked it’s his first year at the Dragons, and this has happened three years in a row.

“And it’s funny that there’s 17 people in a whole side, yet it’s all his fault!

“Players make errors when they are loosing (sic), and players make errors when they are winning too! Rugby league should not be condoning this culture!

“You would hate it if someone was talking to your children or parents that way, so why is it okay to do so in the game they play? It’s bullying & it’s not okay!

“We are just lucky that Ben is resilient and doesn’t get affected by this sort of stuff, but the story may go a different way for someone else.”

Bridget’s outburst comes after Hunt was the subject of much attention following the Dragons’ most recent loss. Ex-Maroons five-eighth Ben Ikin said Hunt needs to step up in the absence of his injured halves partner Gareth Widdop after an underwhelming showing since the Origin period.

“Gareth Widdop is out and like the Cowboys, who lost Johnathan Thurston (in 2017), a lot of the responsibility now with the Dragons No. 6 on the sideline will fall to Ben Hunt — he needs to be at his best,” Ikin said on NRL 360 on Tuesday.

“If you look at his numbers in that loss to the Eels, they were suitably unimpressive.

“I’ve picked up signs from Ben Hunt over the last month, post-Origin, his football started to get a little frantic and I could see that he gets rattled at times.

“When he gets rattled he tends to withdraw and (in) that game on the weekend I saw him withdraw.

“He needs to rediscover, as the Dragons chief playmaker left in that side, his best form ASAP or else the Red V are no chance.”

On Monday former NSW hooker Michael Ennis acknowledged while Hunt wasn’t the only culprit, if you’re a halfback getting paid $1 million a year you’ve got higher standards to meet.

“We can single out Ben Hunt because he’s come to the club as the marquee man, as the No. 7, and did he have any impact on the game the other night? No he didn’t. None at all,” Ennis told the Big League Wrap.

“That’s why he was brought to the club, to fix this time of year. When you come on a million dollars (a season) … you come there as the marquee man in the No. 7 jersey, you’re expected to stand up and deliver.”

Penrith great Mark Geyer was another to lay the boot in after the demoralising loss to Parramatta.

“They need more from Ben Hunt,” he said on Monday’s Triple M Rush Hour with MG. “Ben Hunt simply can’t be on a million dollars a year and have no runs for no metres.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/n...s/news-story/d7005efaa15980f3fdb38c3de633dd3b
Great that she feels so strongly - probably a lot of truth in what she said.
But unfortunately it comes with the big $ contract.

Belta

Juniors
It’s sad that Hunts wife feels this pressure. To be honest I’d havecthought she would be impervious to media tripe, especially with the dramas Hunt had at the broncs. Don’t know why anyone with a family member in a high profile sport would not be able to dismiss media tripe. But at the end of the day we all gotta justify our wage. Merely being put on notice for under achieving isn’t necessarily bullying.

getsmarty

Immortal
Horne tipped for big things on NRL stage
Dragons Den
r0_0_3712_5568_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

ON THE RISE: Having already donned a Jillaroos jumper, Dragons young-gun Rikeya Horne is tipped for big things this season. Picture: NRL Photos

IT took just one look for Jillaroos coach Brad Donald to know Corrimal gun Rikeya Horne had the tools to be one of the game’s next superstars.

In fact he was so convinced he was willing to hand her an Australian jumper for February’s Commonwealth Championships.

It followed a standout showing at the NRL women’s training camp that saw 52 players put through their paces in an effort to earn one 40 elite playing contracts on offer for the inaugural NRL women’s league that will kickoff next month.

It was enough for the 19-year-old to be hand-picked by Donald as the only non-incumbent Jillaroo selected for the nine-a-side tournament on the Gold Coast, scoring a try with her first touch in the national jumper to boot.

It made her a priority signing for the Dragons, but Horne is fully aware she still has to prove her worth at the highest level to earn the state and Test honours she’s been widely tipped for.

“I suppose it is a bit strange because I made the Jillaroos side for the Commonwealth Championships and I think a lot people just expected me to make the NSW team or the Dragons team automatically,” Horne said.

“There was a bit of pressure there but I know that’s not the way it works. I knew it was just the beginning and I needed to keep working really hard. I still remember sitting in the car and getting the phone call and it was just unreal. I had to pinch myself at the time, it was an amazing experience.

“I am going to set those goals but my focus at the moment is to play the best footy I can for the Dragons.”

Horne bagged an impressive 20 tries in 10 appearances in a premiership-winning season for Corrimal last year, while she’s managed 15 in 11 games heading into this year’s finals that kickoff this weekend.

It shows all the speed and X factor that’s seen her likened to current Jillaroos star, and fellow Illawarra product, Sam Bremner.

“I’ll take that, I’ve always looked up to Sammy,” Horne said.

“When I first started playing footy she was my favourite player, just the attitude she brings and, look at the size of her, she’s only little but she’s so tough.

“I hope to learn a lot of things from her. I’m really excited to play with her. I’ve always played against her at club footy so I’m really excited to play alongside her and learn as much as I can.”

For her part, Bremner needs no convincing when it comes to Horne’s ability to leave a mark at NRL level.

“She’s a massive talent. Speed’s a pretty lethal thing in rugby league and the best thing is is she’s still young and she’s got a lot to learn,” Bremner said.

“I say that in a way that should make the people she’s playing against fearful because. if someone’s that good and they’ve still got more to learn, it’s a scary thing.

“Some people are just born with that bit of mongrel. It’s something you can’t teach and sometimes it’s lacking in women’s sport.

“If you don’t have that competitiveness and mongrel it’s hard to instill, but Rikeya’s definitely got that.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5589829/horne-tipped-for-big-things-on-nrl-stage/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons fullback Matt Dufty ready to apply lessons of 2018
Dragons Den
r0_25_2796_1634_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Refreshed: Matt Dufty. Picture: AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts.

From the moment he burst onto the Holden Cup scene as an 18-year-old, Matt Dufty has been viewed as a future star of rugby league.

And when he scored one try and set up another two during his NRL debut last year, it seemed Dufty was destined to live up to the hype.

However, after a promising start to 2018, Dufty’s performances of late have reflected that of the Dragons.

Heading into the final weeks of his first full season in the NRL, the 22-year-old concedes it has been far more draining than he could have anticipated.

“Yes definitely [it’s been tough],” Dufty said. “I only came in at the back end of last year and I was running on heaps of adrenaline, my body was feeling good, and it was the same at the start of the year.

“The grind, it’s pretty full on. But it shows you the importance of the recovery you’ve got to do. It’s not just physically, but mentally, you’ve just got to learn to step away from footy when you’ve been given a few days off.

“It’s a big thing that the coaching staff tell us. It’s pretty hard to be footy all the time, it’s good to step away and spend time with friends, family and all the people who aren’t going to judge you for playing footy.”

Having learnt the importance of refocusing mentally each week, and with the most exciting aspect of the NRL season just weeks away, Dufty is feeling refreshed and ready to lift the Dragons out of their current form slump.

“I think for me that mental adjustment was the biggest thing to get used to. I was always ‘Footy, footy, footy,’ but now I cherish the little breaks you get during the week, so you can come in with your head screwed on and you can give 100 per cent. For me personally, my body’s feeling pretty good, and I’m keen to rip in for the end of the year.”

While learning about the importance of recovery and refreshing the mind, Dufty has also found the gaps which appeared earlier in the season have suddenly been slammed shut. The footwork that he used to burst past defenders is now being met by a solid wall of opposition jumpers.

Defenders now know what to expect when Dufty has the ball in his hands and he knows the onus is on him to develop the extra tools required to keep opposition players guessing when he runs towards them. It’s a challenge he’s excited to embark on.

“Yes I’ve noticed teams have adjusted, but that’s what footy teams do, they watch video, they game plan, we’re the same. Teams have pretty much adapted to the style of footy I play, which puts it back on me to try and change things up a bit coming into the finals. I think that’s a good challenge to have.

“I think I can ball play and support a bit more, little things like that. It’s not so much changing my game, I think it’s more adding things to your game.”

The next opportunity for Dufty to show off his added versatility comes on Saturday night against the Tigers. While he doesn’t anticipate his style of play will change in Gareth Widdop’s absence, he is expecting the team to deliver a much-improved performance.

“Yes definitely, we know the quality of the squad we have. We’ve been in a bit of a hole lately, but it’s easy to turn it around.

“All the boys are pretty keen to prove everyone wrong and win the last three and finish in the top four.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...y-lessons-from-first-full-nrl-season/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
McGregor unfazed by NRL coaching silly season
Dragons Den
r2213_0_5472_3368_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

MERCURY. NEWS. St George Illawarra Dragons back in training. 11 January 2018 . Picture: Sylvia Liber.

ST GEORGE Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has absolutely no fears over his immediate future after his name was tossed into the NRL coaches sorting hat this week.

It comes as 2010 premiership-winning coach Wayne Bennett continues to be linked to a return to the Dragons as his own contract soap opera plays out in Brisbane.

Broncos CEO Paul White confirmed on Thursday that Bennett, who is contracted until the end of next season, will see out his current deal but it appears all but certain he won’t coach the club beyond 2019.

It leaves open the possibility that he could depart at season’s end, with the Dragons reportedly one of his preferred destinations.

Bennett’s sudden availability and previous links to the Dragons has drawn McGregor into the wider NRL coaching rigmarole that shifted into overdrive with the sacking of Penrith coach Anthony Griffin two weeks ago.

The Dragons run of five losses from their past six matches have put McGregor under the microscope, despite still being in the hunt for a top four finish, but he said he hasn’t felt the need to seek any assurances from the club over the final year of his deal.

“No not at all, I’ve got a year to fulfill on my contract and I’m here to do that,” McGregor said on Friday.

“I’m comfortable, we’ve only had one week out of the top four [this season]. It’s taken three years for us to build this team and it’s a team I want to coach and a team I enjoy coaching.

“I’ve got a coaching staff and a performance staff we’ve built over that period of time as well and we’ve got a football team here we think can win the competition.

“Nothing changes for me from day to day except going in and doing my best for the team to go out and perform.”

It’s a distraction the club doesn’t need as they wrestle with a late-season slump but McGregor said he’s not all surprised by the conjecture, that’s also surrounded Trent Barrett, Ivan Cleary and Anthony Siebold, in one of the most turbulent times for coaches in recent memory.

“It’s character building isn’t it?” McGregor joked.

“It’s professional sport, obviously [talk] started a couple of weeks ago when Hook [Griffin] got sacked from Penrith. When people are off-contract and names come up, or if a team dips in form, people talk about it. It’s something to talk about it.

“It’s strange at times but it is what it is. It’s nothing I can control and I’ve never given any energy to things I can’t control. There’s distractions for players if anyone needs to get hit with a stick it’s me not the players.

“The players need to be left alone to do what they do which is go out there and play footy. I’m the leader of them so, criticism can come at me, but I’d prefer everyone to back off the players a bit.”

After slumping to a 40-4 loss to the 15th-placed Eels last week, the Dragons could drop as low as seventh with a loss to the Tigers at Leichardt Oval on Saturday.

That prospect would really turn the heat up on the club but McGregor said the pressure runs both ways as the Tigers look to keep their slim finals hopes alive.

“They’re playing for their season so, when you talk about pressure, there’s pressure on them as well,’ McGregor said.

“We had some pretty confronting video after our last game. We’re not isolating one person, we’ve all been inconsistent in the past month and our standards we’ve set we haven’t lived up to over the last month.

“That’s the past, we’ve got to live in the now and look to [Saturday’s] game as the first step in the right direction.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5591987/mcgregor-unfazed-by-coaching-silly-season/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
DRAGONS

Hunt will always be a part of our team: McGregor
Author
Chris Kennedy
Timestamp
Sat 18 Aug 2018, 10:22 PM

Paul McGregor has defended under-fire halfback Ben Hunt after the playmaker had another forgettable game in his team's morale-boosting 20-10 win over Wests Tigers at Leichhardt Oval on Saturday – one the Dragons boss described as the best of his coaching career.

Hunt dropped the second half kick-off in a manner reminiscent of the 2015 grand final – leading immediately to the Tigers' only try of the game – and was sin-binned for being offside at an unfortunate time, when his team had just been given the warning for repeated infringements.

The rest of his game was punctuated by a few poor options and McGregor said the halfback was disappointed in his own game after full time.

"Ben's a part of our 17 and he will always be a part of our 17 while I'm coach, he's our No.7," McGregor said.

"Benny's in next door [in the sheds] and he's not happy with his performance but that's ok because he's got next week.

"I said through the week, if criticism was to come to the team it should come through the coach so leave my players alone.

"I understand the criticism because it goes with my role. The players get 80 minutes every week to go and protect that character. Benny will be out next week protecting it."

Match Highlights: Wests Tigers v Dragons – Round 23, 2018

Hunt's indifferent performance aside, McGregor was delighted with the crucial win, which returns the team to the top four.

"To get a nice result that we did today and under the circumstances I'd say it's nearly the best win I've had as a coach since I've been at the club," McGregor said.

"Considering the start of the game, 6-0 penalty count, one in the bin, opposition playing for their season. The scrutiny that players and staff have been under. To come out and have the resolve today just shows what we've built our year on since round one."

The ability to scramble and defend under pressure in the first half and the ability to take chances when they eventually arose in the second proved the difference, according to McGregor.

"It was about knowing what worked for us and getting back to that," he said.

"When we needed to find [effort] we found more and more. It typifies how we played that first 20 minutes, defending our try line consistently, forcing errors.

"We've still got a bit of discipline to pick up. All year our vision has been team first but our purpose has been top four. We've been out of it for one week and everyone was coming at us. It's now around being disciplined staying there for the rest of the year. We've got to back up what we did today next week against Canterbury."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/08/19/hunt-will-always-be-a-part-of-our-team-mcgregor/

getsmarty

Immortal
leilual--scores-a-try-.jpg

DRAGONS

Leilua comes of age with match-winning display
Author
Chris Kennedy
Timestamp
Sat 18 Aug 2018, 11:05 PM

The 17th game of Luciano Leilua's young NRL career was comfortably his best as the emerging back-rower tore apart the Wests Tigers right edge on Saturday - but the challenge for him now according to his coach is to back it up.

Speaking after the 20-10 result which returned the team to the top four of the Telstra Premiership ladder and all but ended the Tigers' season, McGregor had some heavy praise for Leilua.

"Without a doubt [it was his best game]," McGergor said.

"We just spoke about that in the sheds, that's something now that should be his standard game.

"We see that talent often at training when we do any opposed at training, he's the player on the opposition if he's in reserve grade just puts us under the most threat.

"He went out today and played with that threat in first grade. It's about maintaining that standard now for him consistently."

Match Highlights: Wests Tigers v Dragons – Round 23, 2018

Leilua finished the match with 40 tackles, seven busts, three offloads, 128 metres, a try and a line break assist.

He brushed through Benji Marshall and Esan Marsters to send Kurt Mann into space to set up the team's opening try to Jordan Pereira in the 27th minute and barrelled straight over the top of Michael Chee Kam to score one of his own in the 63rd.

Speaking to media after the game (via a quick visit to the club doctor to have a few stitches put in a cut to his right eyebrow), Leilua agreed it was his best game to date and was relishing the chance to start and play big minutes since the injury to starting prop Paul Vaughan.

"I think that's where the bar's set now so I've got to live up to that and play with confidence and hopefully I can be a regular first grader," he said.

"I think it was one of my best games in first grade so hopefully more to come."

With the Dragons dominating through their established forward pack over the opening three or four months of the competition and suffering almost no injuries, Leilua has had to wait for a solid chance in first grade.

"I was just being patient, waiting for the time, it was up to Mary (McGregor)," he said.

"I was happy to be the impact player. Now he's giving me the chance to start.

"I always wanted to start and get some big minutes to credit so Mary for believing in me, it's been good."

And that memorable four-pointer?

"I just got lucky today [with the try]," he laughed.

"The game plan was to play through and I was lucky to get the try.

"I like starting but I'm here for the team."

Leilua unlocks Wests Tigers defence

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/08/19/leilua-comes-of-age-with-match-winning-display/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons playmaker Hunt laughs off critics
  • Local Sport
    r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
  • Ben Hunt shrugged off his latest clanger before the Dragons rose from a slump at the Wests Tigers.

• When you're as maligned as Ben Hunt, sometimes all you can do is laugh.

And that's exactly how the St George Illawarra No.7 reacted after being pilloried by 18,387 Leichhardt diehards for his high ball blunder against the Wests Tigers on Saturday night.

You could have forgiven Hunt for wanting to climb into a hole when he dropped the kick-off after the halftime and Chris Lawrence scored from the resulting possession.

However, he insists he was relaxed before the Dragons' pressure-relieving 20-10 win.

Hunt has become an easy target after his infamous drop in the 2015 grand final which allowed North Queensland's Johnathan Thurston to kick the winning field goal.

"I had a bit of a laugh at myself," Hunt said.

"The fans were into me even before the kick-off. I know they would have been having a bit of a chuckle."

Hunt has had his setbacks throughout his career, in particular having the finger pointed at him following the Broncos' grand final loss.

He has also looked well below his best after his poor performance in State of Origin II this year and being relegated to the Queensland bench for game three.

Saturday's performance could have been another disaster for Hunt - he lost the ball over the line in the first half and kicked out on the full before being sin-binned in the second stanza.

And after the five losses over the previous six weeks, another defeat would have left the Dragons in danger of falling out of the top eight.

But Hunt - and his side - managed to steady the ship and their season.

"I don't feel like I'm that far off, there's just a few little errors in my game that I want to fix up. If I keep working at it then I'll come good," he said.

"I feel like I've had slumps in my career before and bad games before and I've got through it, so I'll just do it again."

During the week Hunt's wife Bridget launched a scathing attack via social media on the Maroons and Australian representative's critics.

Hunt said she wanted to make a point about the affect abuse and undue criticism can have on athletes.

"Everyone cops their fair share of criticism and it wasn't just speaking about me," he said.

"I've played with a lot of players that have had that sort of thing in their careers, they haven't handled it that well and they finish their careers early or had depression from it."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5593471/dragons-playmaker-hunt-laughs-off-critics/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
Michael Maguire slams Broncos link, but makes big NRL coaching hint
NRL Premiership
  • August 19, 2018 7:35am
  • Source: AAP
d023ba45c3f776b58a085aca781fd87c

Michael Maguire has denied any communication with the Broncos.Source: AFP
PREMIERSHIP-WINNING coach Michael Maguire says he will be selective with his next NRL opportunity as the coaching carousel threatens to spin deep into the finals series.

Maguire, who famously led South Sydney to a breakthrough title in 2014, has been linked with Brisbane, Manly, Penrith and the Wests Tigers.

However Maguire denied reports he had recently been offered a three-year deal to replace Wayne Bennett at the Broncos.

“We’ve had no contact so I’m not sure where that’s come from. Obviously it’s a great club. They’re working through a lot of things up there,” Maguire told Macquarie Sports Radio on Friday.

Round 23
“I’m running out of days in the week to do the various jobs floating around.

694312_640x360_large_20180818215059.jpg

Fifita's post-try blow up

3:15
“I’m aware there’s a lot of noise around the coaching, but at the moment I have full respect for the coaches there. I’m not going to go into too much detail because I don’t have any.”

The Sea Eagles are likely to be on the search for a new coach after Barrett this week declined to comment on his reported resignation on legal advice.

Penrith are without a mentor for next season after sacking Anthony Griffin, while the Tigers could be an option should Ivan Cleary request a release to return to the Panthers.

But while reluctant to give much away, Maguire said his time at the Rabbitohs and Wigan had shown him the importance of having the right cornerstones in place for success.

“Once you’ve been in those positions where you’ve seen a club be extremely successful, there’s certain things that need to be in place,” he said.

“To go back into a club now with those things that I’m keen for — and I have seen work — to create success, it’s an important part when you’re picking a club.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/5709c51f2f069e417b1a3985ce259130

getsmarty

Immortal
WIN strikes St George Illawarra Dragons’ NRL ownership deal
  • Dragons Den
    r0_149_2575_1597_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

New model: St George Illawarra have finalised their ownership structure. Picture: NRL Photos

• WIN Corporation and its multi-millionaire owner Bruce Gordon have finally struck a deal that will partially privatise the Dragons, just months after the television network walked away from negotiations to buy a stake in the club.

Fairfax Media understands more than two years of on-again, off-again talks between St George Illawarra and the media company have finally reached an agreement, with the Dragons expected to confirm their new ownership structure on the eve of the finals series.

It's believed an announcement could come as early as this week.

Under the deal, it is believed the Dragons' multimillion-dollar loan sourced from the NRL will be repaid and their home-game allocation, with matches at Kogarah and Wollongong, will remain largely intact.

And the sale will conclude one of the last points of business for retiring chief executive Peter Doust, the longest-serving NRL club boss, who has been in charge of the Dragons for 18 years. He will step down at the end of the season.

The WIN sale will also cap one of the most tumultuous periods in the joint-venture's history after the Dragons first floated the idea of privatising the Illawarra Steelers' equity in the club in late 2014.

WIN Corporation was always the preferred option, given its Wollongong headquarters and long-standing ties with both the Dragons and Steelers.

But the company told St George Illawarra officials it was no longer interested in assuming a 50 per cent stake in the club back in April, casting doubt over the Dragons' ability to find a suitable buyer before the end of 2018.

The Dragons were unbeaten ladder leaders at the time and had just been installed as premiership favourites with bookmakers.

WIN had insisted it would maintain a commercial relationship with St George Illawarra and remain a sponsor of the club, but its reluctance to progress with ownership talks was thought to be a big blow to the Dragons.

Gordon and his son Andrew, a St George Illawarra director, briefly considered launching a fresh bid independently of WIN Corporation to assume the Steelers' share in St George Illawarra as other interested purchasers circled. But later, under the guise of WIN Corporation, they quietly returned to the negotiating table in the hope of snapping up an interest in one of the NRL's most recognisable franchises.

Private investment in NRL clubs has become a much more attractive option under a funding agreement that sees clubs paid $3 million above the salary cap for the length of the existing broadcast cycle.

Football department spending has also been capped, putting an end to the arm's race in which clubs felt compelled to spend freely to remain competitive with their cashed-up rivals.

The issue of private ownership has been a hot one for the NRL in the past year after deals were struck to take Newcastle and Gold Coast off the market while a raft of buyers were earlier this year being mobilised to take the Sea Eagles off the hands of the Penn family.

The Dragons are guaranteed to be featuring in just their second finals series in the past seven years after a morale-boosting win over the Tigers at Leichhardt Oval on Saturday night, which powered them back into fourth spot.
https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...illawarra-dragons-nrl-ownership-deal/?cs=3713