What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons captain Sam Bremner determined to be fit for Jillaroos Test
Dragons Den
r0_147_3903_2341_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Back in national colours: Sam Bremner is determined to prove her fitness in time for Australia's clash with New Zealand in a fortnight. Picture: NRL Imagery.

St George Illawarra captain Sam Bremner has vowed to ensure the toe injury that crippled her NRL Women's campaign won't impact her representative chances.

The Jillaroos play New Zealand on Saturday October 13 and Bremner, currently sporting a moon boot, is confident she will overcome the injury in time to take the field for Australia.

“Yes, I hope to be fit,” Bremner said. “I’ll undergo a fitness test next Thursday to see how I go, but it’s just a toe. I’m trying to be positive about it, it’s crazy how much you need your big toe.

“I’m doing everything I can to get back on the field, I’ve been resting it, which is big for me, because I’m not a fan of rest. The boot hasn’t been off my foot, only when I’m sleeping.”

The match takes on greater significance for Bremner after she missed Australia’s victory over the Kiwi Ferns in last year’s World Cup final with a stress fracture.

Having been forced to watch her teammates from the stands, Bremner is determined to ensure she is on the field in this year’s rematch.

“I’m just trying to be really disciplined because, along with the Dragons, playing for my country, it’s obviously the biggest accolade you can do in Australian sport.

“It’s something I missed out on doing in the World Cup from breaking my leg, I really want to get out there because it just means so much to me to pull on those colours.”

With nine Dragons women selected for the Prime Minister’s XIII, Bremner is likely to be joined by a number of teammates in the Jillaroos squad. Second rower Kezie Apps was not picked in the PM’s XIII, however she is considered a near certainty to feature in the New Zealand Test match.

Apps has starred for the Jillaroos since her debut in 2014 and she’s confident the level of play will only increase as a result of the inaugural NRL Women’s competition.

“Everyone’s going to be on a massive high from coming from an NRL competition and then going into playing for your country,” Apps said. “Coming off the back of the World Cup as well, being victorious, I bet you they will want to come out firing and get one back on us.”

The match will be played as a triple header with the Junior Kiwis and Junior Kangaroos to face off before the women do battle, with the men finishing off the night.

“I feel like that’s the way it should be,” Bremner said. “It’s really exciting that in years to come that will be the norm. The men and women will play and perform alongside each other.

“Not only do the teams playing and performing benefit from that, but the whole of Australian sport will benefit from that, in growth areas and juniors, to see that it’s equal and to have something to aspire to.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5665802/bremner-racing-the-clock/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
end_of_season_sale_social-media.jpg

DRAGONS

Dragons team store end of season sale
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 28 Sep 2018, 10:21 AM

The Dragons team store are holding their end of season sale exclusively in-store and online, with selected stock up to 70 per cent off.

The end of season sale will commence from 10am on Friday, September 28 until 5pm on Wednesday, October 10.

It's a perfect opportunity to load up ahead on all your favourite red and white gear and grab yourself a bargain. Hurry while stocks last!

Head to the Dragons team store located at St George Leagues Club (124 Princess Highway, Kogarah NSW 2217) or visit the Dragons online team store here.

Dragons team store trading hours:

Friday, September 28: 10am to 5pm (AEST)
Saturday, September 29: 10am to 4pm (AEST)
Sunday, September 30: Closed
Monday, October 1: Closed (public holiday)
Tuesday, October 2: 10am to 5pm (AEST)
Wednesday, October 3: 10am to 5pm (AEST)
Thursday, October 4: 10am to 5pm (AEST)
Friday, October 5: 10am to 5pm (AEST)
Saturday, October 6: 10am to 4pm (AEST)
Sunday, October 7: Closed
Monday, October 8: 10am to 5pm (AEDT)
Tuesday, October 9: 10am to 5pm (AEDT)
Wednesday, October 10: 10am to 5pm (AEDT)

For full terms and conditions regarding the Dragons team store end of season sale, please click here.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/09/28/dragons-team-store-end-of-season-sale/

getsmarty

Immortal
MEMBERSHIP

2019 memberships on sale now
Author
Timestamp
Thu 27 Sep 2018, 04:25 PM

It is with great pleasure that the St George Illawarra Dragons declare their 2019 memberships now on sale.

Our members are the lifeblood of this club and make the ultimate commitment to our team.

This investment goes directly towards supporting the on-field ambitions of the club and with an enviable mix of young emerging talent and established performers, season 2019 is shaping up to be one to remember. The future is in great shape at our proud club.

In 2019, our home venues will see a continued commitment to our heartland venues, with five home games at the historic Jubilee Stadium, Kogarah, five home games at picturesque WIN Stadium, Wollongong and one home game continuing at the beautiful Glen Willow Stadium in Mudgee as part of our ongoing regional commitment.

Additionally, we are pleased to announce the inclusion of a marquee home game to be played at the iconic Sydney Cricket Ground in 2019.

We've listened to your feedback and made even more improvements to the Red V membership program including:

• XBlades members cap as voted by members
  • Member scarf, with pockets as the alternate 'members choice' item
  • Access to purchase tickets to the Charity Shield and one home game in Mudgee as a member add-on
  • New and improved member events
To find out more about becoming a 2019 Dragons member, visit: www.marchwithus.com.au

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/09/27/2019-memberships-on-sale-now/

Drag Queen

Bench
Not that you see it when she's presenting or hosting on TV but is'nt Ruan Sims a big unit...and just in case some may get the PC and defensive cards out.. I was saying it in football terms
Not at all. I'd say she's the best looking Sims. I do actually find this a tad sexist though.

BLM01

First Grade
Not at all. I'd say she's the best looking Sims. I do actually find this a tad sexist though.
Tad only..thats a pass :p.. but from my male perspective I'd agree she is better then her 3 bros..now that comment can also be a tad sexist. But I was just surprised when I saw her on the football field compared to my perception on TV..nothing more..nothing less. No man V woman thing..just from my observation tower

Drag Queen

Bench
Tad only..thats a pass :p.. but from my male perspective I'd agree she is better then her 3 bros..now that comment can also be a tad sexist. But I was just surprised when I saw her on the football field compared to my perception on TV..nothing more..nothing less. No man V woman thing..just from my observation tower
Just from my observation tower you're as sexist as they come. I'm guessing you're a father of boys. Hmm. Go Girls!

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Rep debut caps rapid rise for Avondale star
Dragons Den
r0_0_2074_2797_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

CLIMBING THE RANKS: Shakiah Tungai has continued her rapid rise with selection in the Prime Minister's XIII side. Picture: AAP

AT the start of the 2018 season, Avondale flyer Shakiah Tungai was not even on the Dragons NRLW radar.

Fast forward six months and she’s now on that of Jillaroos coach Brad Donald who selected the 21-year-old in his Prime Minister’s XIII line-up for next weekend’s clash with PNG in Port Moresby.

It caps a rapid rise for the 21-year-old, whose standout performances for Southern Region were enough to earn a maiden Country jumper for June’s national championships. A Dragons NRLW contract followed with a stellar debut season putting her in the frame for Jillaroos selection.

It’s something that was entirely unexpected for the former soccer star who had set the modest goal of just making an NRLW debut.

“It was really exciting to get the call on Monday telling me I’d made the squad,” Tungai said.

“It’s something I definitely didn’t expect to happen, it was a really big shock. When I found out the Dragons had a license to field a women’s team I was just grateful to get selected for that.

“I was excited to make the Illawarra side and then Southern Country and I wasn’t thinking much beyond that. To go from there to this is just awesome.”

It’s certainly made the tough decision to give up the round-ball game worth it, though she admits it was a difficult call to, at least momentarily, end a promising career that saw her grab four straight golden boot awards and lead Albion Park to three straight Illawarra premierships from 2014-16.

She was also awarded the Kyah Simon Medal as player of the tournament at the 2016 National Indigenous Championships before focusing solely on rugby league this season.

It saw her bag 10 tries and kick 26 goals enough to claim the Illawarra Women’s League player of the year gong in an outstanding season with Avondale in which she led the Greyhounds to within one win of the grand final.

“It was a really tough decision to make because I’d played soccer for the majority of my life,” she said.

“To make this switch was a hard one but just focusing on football this year was one of the greatest decision I’ve ever made I think.”

Tungai forms part of a youthful line-up that includes fellow Illawarra and Dragons standouts Rikeya Horne, who’ll play fullback, and Keeley Davis who was selected in the No. 6 jumper.

It puts the Illawarra’s youth brigade well in the frame for test selection in future, something Tungai admits is now a burning ambition.

“Definitely, it’s something I’m working towards and hopefully one day I get to be a part of the Jillaroos,” she said.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ut-caps-rapid-rise-for-avondale-star/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Bremner claims CRL gong
Dragons Den
r0_0_3712_5568_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Sam Bremner was named Country Rugby League player of the year

AN untimely toe injury severely hampered her first NRLW season but Dragons star Sam Bremner capped another standout year being named the Country Rugby League women’s representative player of the year.

Coming back from a leg injury that’s kept her out of Jillaroos World Cup victory last year, Bremner recaptured top form in Country colours, spearheading her side’s charge to the National championships crown earning Player of the Tournament honours.

Bremner suffered a broken toe at home in the lead-up to the NRLW season-opener against Brisbane. She made it onto the park but the injury kept her out of her side’s final two games that saw them fall short of a grand final berth.

She remains in the frame for the Jillaroos end-of-season Test campaign.

In the other major awards, Cudgen’s Caleb Ziebell was named CRL Player of the Year while the Tweed Coast Raiders claimed he Clayton’s Cup in their breakthrough first ever premiership-winning season.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5676248/bremner-claims-crl-gong/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
grahamj-171125062.jpg

REPRESENTATIVE

Graham selected in England squad
Author
Jack Brady
Timestamp
Wed 3 Oct 2018, 10:29 AM

St George Illawarra front-rower James Graham has been named in England's squad for their upcoming Tests against France and New Zealand.

England will face France on October 17 before commencing a three-Test series against New Zealand which will see them travel to Hull (October 27), Liverpool (November 4) and Leeds (November 11).

Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop (shoulder) was one of six players from England's 2017 World Cup squad who were ruled out due to injury.

Graham will be joined by Rabbitohs trio Sam, George and Tom Burgess and Raiders duo Josh Hodgson and Elliott Whitehead in England's squad, while former Warriors custodian Sam Tomkins may feature for the national side for the first time in four years.

England squad to face France and New Zealand:

• John Bateman (Wigan Warriors, Bradford Dudley Hill)
  • George Burgess (South Sydney, Dewsbury Moor)
  • Sam Burgess (South Sydney, Dewsbury Moor)
  • Tom Burgess (South Sydney, Dewsbury Moor)
  • Daryl Clark (Warrington Wolves, Fryston Warriors)
  • Jake Connor (Hull FC, Siddal)
  • Luke Gale (Castleford Tigers, Middleton Marauders)
  • James Graham (St George Illawarra Dragons, Blackbrook)
  • Joe Greenwood (Wigan Warriors, Saddleworth Rangers)
  • Chris Hill (Warrington Wolves, New Springs Lions)
  • Josh Hodgson (Canberra Raiders, East Hull)
  • Tom Johnstone (Wakefield Trinity, Stanningley)
  • Jonny Lomax (St Helens, Orrell St James)
  • Reece Lyne (Wakefield Trinity, Ideal Isberg)
  • Tommy Makinson (St Helens, Wigan St Judes)
  • Jermaine McGillvary (Huddersfield Giants, Deighton Juniors)
  • Adam Milner (Castleford Tigers, Stanley Rangers)
  • Sean O’Loughlin (Wigan Warriors, Wigan St Patricks)
  • Mark Percival (St Helens, Halton Farnworth Hornets)
  • Stefan Ratchford (Warrington Wolves, Wigan St Patricks)
  • Luke Thompson (St Helens, Bold Miners)
  • Sam Tomkins (Wigan Warriors, Wigan St Patricks)
  • Elliott Whitehead (Canberra Raiders, West Bowling)
  • George Williams (Wigan Warriors, Wigan St Patricks)

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/10/03/graham-selected-in-england-squad/

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons player Jack De Belin buys plot of land in Shellharbour
Jonathan ChancellorThe Daily Telegraph
October 3, 2018 9:00AM

ST GEORGE Illawarra Dragons star Jack De Belin has secured a plot of land in a new estate south of Wollongong, paying $430,000 for a 450sqm block in the Shell Heights Estate at Shellharbour.

It is good news for fans of the Red V, with the move an indicator that De Belin sees the region as his long term base.

1538530526050_61553f0d6fe931811e96f7fa5435d29f.jpeg

De Belin in action against the Knights earlier this year. (AAP Image/Darren Pateman)Picture: AAP

His current home is at Coniston, just 3km from WIN Stadium, where he lives with long-time partner, radiographer Alyce Taylor, and their dog Trev.

De Belin paid $430,000 for the three-bedroom home in 2014, soon after being handed a contract extension after a breakthrough year in 2013.

The lock forward arguably had his most successful season of rugby league in 2018, establishing himself as one of the Dragons best and playing his role in the NSW Blues first series win since 2014.

In 2017 he signed a three-year deal with the Dragons that will see him remain at the club until the end of the 2020 season.

The 27-year-old has played 153 games for the club.

— with additional reporting from Owen Roberts

https://www.perthnow.com.au/lifesty...llharbour-ng-f1af91114f9a92dcf90abdfe81e8c249

BLM01

First Grade
St George Illawarra Dragons player Jack De Belin buys plot of land in Shellharbour
Jonathan ChancellorThe Daily Telegraph
October 3, 2018 9:00AM

ST GEORGE Illawarra Dragons star Jack De Belin has secured a plot of land in a new estate south of Wollongong, paying $430,000 for a 450sqm block in the Shell Heights Estate at Shellharbour.

It is good news for fans of the Red V, with the move an indicator that De Belin sees the region as his long term base.

1538530526050_61553f0d6fe931811e96f7fa5435d29f.jpeg

De Belin in action against the Knights earlier this year. (AAP Image/Darren Pateman)Picture: AAP

His current home is at Coniston, just 3km from WIN Stadium, where he lives with long-time partner, radiographer Alyce Taylor, and their dog Trev.

De Belin paid $430,000 for the three-bedroom home in 2014, soon after being handed a contract extension after a breakthrough year in 2013.

The lock forward arguably had his most successful season of rugby league in 2018, establishing himself as one of the Dragons best and playing his role in the NSW Blues first series win since 2014.

In 2017 he signed a three-year deal with the Dragons that will see him remain at the club until the end of the 2020 season.

The 27-year-old has played 153 games for the club.

— with additional reporting from Owen Roberts

https://www.perthnow.com.au/lifesty...llharbour-ng-f1af91114f9a92dcf90abdfe81e8c249
So much for privacy, probably paid above market as prices have been weakening anyway. That is a comparable price to outer South West Sydney land prices. Hope it has views!.
Someone should tell the article writer he might of bought it for investment and plans not to stay in the area and build a house to rent out. Maybe 3rd party TPA deal from WIN to a builder to build a house for minimal might be on the cards. ;)

getsmarty

Immortal
Resurgent Sims captures St George Illawarra Player of the Year gong
Local Sport
r0_0_5191_3576_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

TOP GONG: Tariq Sims was crowned Dragons Player of the Year on Wednesday night. Picture: AAP

IT was early November when Tariq Sims marched into Paul McGregor's office and said “I want to own that left edge.”

McGregor granted his wish and, on Wednesday night, Sims was named Dragons Player of the Year, capping a stunning career resurgence six years after two horrific broken legs almost ended his career.

The frank chat with McGregor followed the preseason departure of former left edge enforcer Joel Thompson to Manly, with Sims having spent the bulk of his time at the club in the middle.

The return to the edge, where he first burst on the scene as a 21-year-old in 2011, saw a return to the form that had him earmarked as an Origin star in waiting.

That long-awaited Blues debut occurred in Origin III this year with a remarkable first-half hat-trick against Brisbane in week one of the finals the exclamation point on an outstanding campaign.

The Gerringong product saw off a stiff challenge from fellow NSW forwards Tyson Frizell and Jack de Belin to claim the award that will go some way towards easing the pain of a meniscus tear that forced him from the park in his side's one-point semi-final loss to the Rabbitohs.

Having undergone surgery, the 28-year-old is facing a three to four-month recovery that should see him back to full fitness well ahead of the 2019 season.

In the other major awards handed out at Pyrmont's Doltone House, Holli Wheeler was named the inaugural women's premiership player of the year, the cherry on top of her Jillaroos selection earlier this week.

It goes with NSW and Prime Minister's XIII jumpers in a stellar campaign for the Mid-North Coast product.

Warriors-bound prop Leeson Ah Mau received the Geoff Selby Memorial Trophy as a parting gift, while dual New Zealand international Honey Hireme picked up Daniel Lacey's NRLW Coach's Award.

r355_0_2800_1599_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

MVP: Holli Wheeler was named Dragons Women's Player of the Year on Wednesday night. Picture: AAP

Frizell was voted as the Red V Members' Player of the Year on the back of another outstanding season, while skipper Gareth Widdop was awarded the Dragons' Immortals Trophy.

Young centre Matheson Johns won the Paul McGregor trophy as under 20s Player of the Year, while Reece Robson was named Intrust Super Premiership (ISP) Player of the Year.

In the off-field awards, Jeremy Latimore was the recipient of the Mark Coyne Trophy for career development and young front-rower Josh Kerr won the community involvement award.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...tures-dragons-player-of-the-year-gong/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
2gp_1380-copy.jpg

DRAGONS

Sims, Wheeler win Dragons' Players of the Year
Author
Timestamp
Wed 3 Oct 2018, 08:45 PM

St George Illawarra back-rower Tariq Sims has won the prestigious Dragons Player of the Year Medal at the club's annual presentation evening on Wednesday.

The 2018 New South Wales Origin debutant Sims was awarded the honour from both his peers and the coaching staff, in a season that also saw him selected in the Rugby League Player Association's Team of the Year.

Dragons' Women's Premiership back-rower Holli Wheeler capped off a memorable season which included NSW Origin, Prime Minister's XIII and Jillaroos selection by being named the club's inaugural NRLW Player of the Year.

The history-making Wheeler was determined the Dragons' Women's Premiership Player of the Year following her starring performances throughout the three-game campaign in consultation with the coaching staff and senior players.

Leeson Ah Mau was the recipient of the Geoff Selby Memorial Trophy. Selby was a hardworking and respected Dragon who was tragically killed in a car accident in 1989; characteristics the Samoan and New Zealand international exhibited throughout his tenure at the Red V.

Dual New Zealand international Honey Hireme was bestowed the NRLW Coach's Award – the experience and leadership she provided the Dragons' maiden Women's Premiership proving invaluable in skipper Sam Bremner's injury absence.

Representative back-rower Tyson Frizell was voted as the Red V Members' Player of the Year for his efforts and contribution throughout the 2018 Telstra Premiership season.

Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop was awarded the Dragons' Immortals Trophy, an award selected by the coaching staff in consideration with the Immortals criteria of demonstrating outstanding commitment and dedication in all aspects of rugby league.

2018 recruit Jeremy Latimore was the recipient of the Mark Coyne Trophy for career development. The veteran prop completed a Cert IV in Mortgage Brokering and a Cert IV in New Small Business and has since commenced work experience in mortgage brokering.

Young front-rower Josh Kerr won the Community Involvement Award as the club's indigenous player representative and for his work in helping launch the Dragons' Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP).

Young Dragons centre Matheson Johns won the Paul McGregor Trophy as the Under-20s Player of the Year, while Reece Robson and Mitchell Allgood took home the Dragons' Intrust Super Premiership (ISP) Player of the Year and the ISP Coach's Award respectively.

The retiring Jason Nightingale was also recognised at the event held at Pyrmont's Doltone House. The one-club legend received a framed collage that included photos of moments throughout his illustrious 266-game career, including the Dragons' 2010 grand final victory.

Dragons Player of the Year Medal recipients:

2018: Tariq Sims
2017: Gareth Widdop
2016: Tyson Frizell
2015: Leeson Ah Mau
2014: Ben Creagh
2013: Trent Merrin
2012: Brett Morris
2011: Jason Nightingale
2010: Ben Creagh
2009: Ben Creagh
2008: Jason Ryles
2007: Ben Creagh
2006: Mark Gasnier and Jason Ryles
2005: Luke Bailey
2004: Mathew Head
2003: Ben Hornby
2002: Shaun Timmins
2001: Jason Ryles
2000: Trent Barrett
1999: Jamie Ainscough

Dragons NRLW Player of the Year

2018: Holli Wheeler

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/10/03/sims-wheeler-win-dragons-players-of-the-year/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons’ Sims takes slow approach on knee

By AAP+ on 04/10/2018 at 12:50 pm
Filled in: NRL News

20181004_124813-800x579.jpg

NSW State of Origin second-rower Tariq Sims will miss the start of St George Illawarra’s pre-season after he and the Dragons opted to take a long-term approach with his knee injury.

Sims who won the Dragons’ player of the year medal on Wednesday night, tore the lateral meniscus in his right knee in their NRL semi-final loss to South Sydney last month.

Usually only a two-week injury when the meniscus is removed in surgery, Sims decided on a slower approach that is unlikely to see him return to training until the new year but should help the 28-year-old’s fitness in the longer term.

“The surgeon went in and stapled down the meniscus (rather than removing it),” Dragons high performance boss Nathan Pickworth said on the club’s website.

“The difference with that is it will be a bit of a slower rehab in the earlier stages so we’re looking at a three-four month mark of him getting back to training and playing. It’s a bit slower than your usual meniscectomy.

“The benefits we have done is in the back end of Tariq’s career he won’t be at risk of getting early onset arthritis. He’ll be able to run normally and do all the things he needs to do like that.”

The Dragons have otherwise received good news on the injury front after they endured a tough end to the season, in contrast to going a record 12 rounds without changing their starting side.

Lock Jack de Belin won’t require surgery on his injured ankle and will likely be fit to start pre-season training at the same time as the rest of the group on November 19.

Captain Gareth Widdop will have a longer break after surgery on his dislocated shoulder, but the Saints are confident he’ll be fit for the start of next season.

Prop Paul Vaughan should also begin running on return from ankle and foot injuries at around the same time as the start of pre-season.

https://www.sportsnews.com.au/nrl/dragons-sims-takes-slow-approach-on-knee/454056