What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
preview-pic_round-w03_roosters-v-dragons.jpg

MATCH PREVIEW

Roosters v Dragons: NRLW Round 3 preview
Author
Alicia Newton
Timestamp
Tue 18 Sep 2018, 04:00 PM

After back-to-back defeats the Sydney Roosters will be looking to turn around their form in front of a preliminary final crowd when they clash with St George Illawarra in round three of the NRL Holden Women's Premiership at Allianz Stadium on Saturday.

Both sides are coming off mixed results with the Tricolours struggling to live up to early favouritism.

However last week's results have left Adam Hartigan's side with a chance to feature in the inaugural NRLW grand final if they can secure a big win against the Dragons.

The Red V impressed against the Warriors last week and a repeat performance could send them into the competition's first-ever decider.

In both clubs' advantage will be the fact they'll know exactly where their grand final chances stand by Saturday, with the Broncos and Warriors to clash 24 hours prior.

Venue: Allianz Stadium

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
  • Fox League
  • LIVE PASS
Buy Tickets
Key match-up: Isabelle Kelly v Jess Sergis. Both players came off cracking games last week and Sergis, who has played with Kelly for NSW on the wing, will be up for this battle against her old teammate. With both sides spreading the ball wide to their backline, look for the pair to be heavily utilised.

For the Roosters to win: A 55% completion rate is not going to win many games but they need more out of their experienced players, particularly the halves. The forward pack are experienced and making metres but the final tackle options are leaving a lot to be desired. The Tricolours need to go back to basics, kick early and remain patient with the ball in hand.

For the Dragons to win: They just need to hold the ball. The Dragons improved dramatically with just six errors against the Warriors compared to the previous week and that enabled them to get good flow between the outside backs and forwards. It's clear the Red V were on the same page defensively against the Warriors, and they've got the strike power to challenge anyone if they can utilise the ball.

And another thing: There will be plenty of Origin and international talent on show with the Roosters set to field at least 12 players from both NSW and Queensland, while the Dragons could have eight on the paddock if Sam Bremner overcomes a toe injury.

Venue:Allianz Stadium

Team Lists
Backs
  • Fullback for Roosters is number 1 Karina Brown

Fullback for Dragons is number 1 Sam Bremner
  • Winger for Roosters is number 2 Brydie Parker

Winger for Dragons is number 2 Rikeya Horne
  • Centre for Roosters is number 3 Shontelle Stowers

Centre for Dragons is number 3 Jessica Sergis
  • Centre for Roosters is number 4 Isabelle Kelly

Centre for Dragons is number 4 Honey Hireme
  • Winger for Roosters is number 5 Taleena Simon

Winger for Dragons is number 5 Shakiah Tungai
  • Five-Eighth for Roosters is number 6 Lavina O'Mealey

Five-Eighth for Dragons is number 6 Keeley Davis
  • Halfback for Roosters is number 7 Zahara Temara

Halfback for Dragons is number 7 Raecene McGregor
Forwards
  • Prop for Roosters is number 8 Ruan Sims

Prop for Dragons is number 8 Oneata Schwalger
  • Hooker for Roosters is number 9 Nita Maynard

Hooker for Dragons is number 9 Anneka Stephens
  • Prop for Roosters is number 10 Elianna Walton

Prop for Dragons is number 10 Asoiva Karpani
  • 2nd Row for Roosters is number 11 Tazmin Gray

2nd Row for Dragons is number 11 Kezie Apps
  • 2nd Row for Roosters is number 12 Vanessa Foliaki

2nd Row for Dragons is number 12 Talesha Quinn
  • Lock for Roosters is number 13 Simiana Taufa

Lock for Dragons is number 13 Annette Brander
Interchange
  • Interchange for Roosters is number 14 Maddie Studdon

Interchange for Dragons is number 14 Holli Wheeler
  • Interchange for Roosters is number 15 Sarah Togatuki

Interchange for Dragons is number 15 Hannah Southwell
  • Interchange for Roosters is number 16 Chloe Caldwell

Interchange for Dragons is number 16 Teina Clark
  • Interchange for Roosters is number 17 Victoria Latu

Interchange for Dragons is number 17 Melanie Howard
Reserves
  • Reserve for Roosters is number 18 Botille Vette-Welsh

Reserve for Dragons is number 18 Asipau Mafi
  • Reserve for Roosters is number 19 Kandy Kennedy

Reserve for Dragons is number 19 Kate Haren
  • Reserve for Roosters is number 20 Quincy Dodd

Reserve for Dragons is number 20 Talia Atfield
  • Reserve for Roosters is number 21 Kylie Hilder
    21 22

Reserve for Dragons is number 22 Josie Strong
Roosters Ins
  • Botille Vette-Welsh
  • Brydie Parker
  • Kandy Kennedy
  • Quincy Dodd
  • Sarah Togatuki
Ins
Dragons Ins
  • Asoiva Karpani
  • Josie Strong
  • Sam Bremner
  • Talia Atfield
Roosters Outs
  • Sharon McGrady
Outs
Dragons Ins

Roosters: Sharon McGrady and Kylie Hilder are out and Maddie Studdon moves to the bench, with Brydie Parker on the wing, Zahara Temara at halfback, Nita Maynard at hooker and Simaima Taufa starting at lock. Sarah Togatuki joins the interchange.

Dragons: Captain Sam Bremner returns at fullback with Honey Hireme shifting to centre and Hannah Southwell moving to the bench. Asoiva Karpani starts at prop with Holli Wheeler back to the interchange and Asipau Mafi and Kate Haren dropping to the reserves.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/18/roosters-v-dragons-nrlw-round-3-preview/

getsmarty

Immortal
DRAGONS

Dragons re-sign Jordan Pereira
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 19 Sep 2018, 09:10 AM

St George Illawarra winger Jordan Pereira has re-signed with the Dragons for a further two seasons.

The off-contract Pereira will now be with the Dragons until at least the end of the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

The 25-year-old made his NRL debut back in Round 19 against the North Queensland Cowboys and remained in first grade until the Dragons' semi-finals elimination, finishing with nine games to his name.

The New Zealand-born Pereira has lived in Samoa, Perth and Mackay on his way to the NRL, and said it meant the world to him to re-sign with the Red V.

"Five years ago I was playing park footy. Now I have to pinch myself considering I'm playing with the likes of Jack de Belin, Tyson Frizell, Ben Hunt and Gareth Widdop. It's definitely a blessing," Pereira said, who joined the Dragons midway through last season.

"It's really good news for my fiancé and I to add that stability and security to our future. Being here gives us that extra bit of happiness. We wanted to stay and the two extra pre-seasons will be so beneficial to me, particularly for my development.

"I'm very happy to be running around in first grade now and it's definitely something I don't want to give up. I'm very proud to be representing this club and hopefully there's more NRL games to come."

Dragons Director of Rugby League Pathways and List Management Ian Millward said Pereira was the perfect example of hard work paying off.

"We have rewarded Jordan for his step up into first grade. He's very mature for his age and with another two pre-seasons under his belt, his efforts will become even greater," Millward said.

"He's a focused individual who appreciates the environment he's in, but also understands what he's here for. He's played quite a few first grade games now and it's really pleasing to see his hard work pay off and for him to take his chances.

"He's going to become a player who will continue to blossom and one we can continue to rely on in the NRL team."

Pereira joins the likes of Cameron McInnes, Matt Dufty, Zac Lomax, Jeremy Latimore Luciano Leilua, Joe Lovodua and Josh Kerr to extend their stay at the Dragons this season.

They will be joined by Brisbane Broncos prop Korbin Sims who signed a three-year deal with the Dragonsin July.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/09/19/dragons-re-sign-jordan-pereira/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2018 season review: The biggest upside to St George Illawarra after ‘pass mark’ season
Dragons
john_dean.jpg

3d1087bf272969d1a744800450593d12

NRL 2018: Dragons season review.Source: FOX SPORTS
IT was one hell of a roller coaster season for St George Illawarra.

Tipped to miss finals football for a third-straight season by a host of NRL experts, the Dragons proved many wrong after sitting atop the competition ladder for 16 weeks in a row.

But after the representative period when many of their stars were rewarded with jerseys, a slide began — and so did the fans’ discontent after seeing it all before.

Preliminary Final
It got ugly after their worst-ever loss at Kogarah, a 38-0 defeat to lowly Canterbury, when the team was jeered off the field and fans started burning jerseys on social media.

But before they knew it, the fans were back on board after an incredible Dragons form reversal which saw them knock off the Broncos in week one of the finals before falling to South Sydney in week two in a heartbreaking one-point loss.

So can they improve?

“Without a doubt,” Dragons legend Mark Gasnier told NRL 360.

“They’ve got Korbin Sims coming, you look at young Zac Lomax who’s going to have another year, Matt Dufty will be into his third year … Blake Lawrie, the young front-rower.

“There’s a lot of youth coming through and I think Ben Hunt will be better for the year, James Graham as well.

“There’s a lot of upside to the Dragons.”

Despite the departure of Leeson Ah Mau which is offset by the addition of Korbin Sims, the Red V’s roster remains virtually the same next year.

It’s one that Gasnier rated in the pre-season and one that he believes will only get better after the experiences of 2018.

“I had them in my top six, and I really liked their roster,” Gasnier said.

“The addition of Graham, and I heard in pre-season how good he’d been for the younger forwards … Hunt partnering with Gareth Widdop, and I expected a lot from Dufty.

“It’s a pass mark. But if you flipped their season around and if they went from three from nine at the start of the year and then finished the way they started, we’d all be saying what an amazing season.

“I loved their last two games. I admit the back end of the season, the last six games in particular, was pretty ordinary.

“But typified by Graham, in those two semi-final matches, their attitude was spot on.”

BEST STATS

— Their 15 regular season wins was their most since winning 17 in 2010.

— St George Illawarra busted 32.5 tackles this season, more than any other team.

— 2018 saw the Dragons get their biggest away win in their history (54-8 v Titans in Toowoomba) but also saw them suffer their biggest ever loss at Kogarah (0-38 in Rd 24 v Bulldogs).

— Almost 45 per cent of their conceded tries this season (37 of 84) came through their right side defence.

— Had five players play all 26 matches this season (Matt Dufty, James Graham, Tim Lafai, Kurt Mann and Cameron McInnes).

— Matt Dufty was their leading try scorer with 13 tries.

— Gareth Widdop (205 points) became just the second player for St George Illawarra to score 200+ points in a season behind Jamie Soward (234 in 2009).

PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Tyson Frizell

The representative back-rower was inspirational throughout the season and led from the front in more ways than one.

When the side needed a powerful run to get over the advantage line, it was often Frizell taking a run from almost off the back fence.

This season the 26-year-old averaged 70 minutes and 104 run metres per game — the latter being the most of his career.

He was also a machine in defence, averaging 27.2 tackles per game.

85912340bb2e3e6eb700567f42d045b7

Tyson Frizell had a big season.Source: AAP
MOMENT THAT MATTERED

Elimination final: 48-18 v Brisbane

It will go down as one of the all-time finals ambushes, because it was a stunning performance that no one saw coming.

After limping into the finals, winning just three of their final nine regular-season games, the Dragons shocked the NRL with a demolition job on the Broncos — their first victory at Suncorp Stadium since 2009.

The Dragons were down on confidence, while the Broncos had stormed into September, but a stirring captain’s run speech from Graham inspired the Red V to the unlikely win.

87816488f11a97859ba0c823a0ab0443

The Dragons ambushed the Broncos in their elimination final.Source: AAP
WHAT WENT RIGHT

As has been in the case in recent seasons, the Dragons’ start to the year was a blistering one.

The Red V won 12 of their first 15 matches of the season to lead the competition up until Round 16 and that put them in good stead for their first finals berth since 2015.

First-grade debuts to the likes of Lomax, Reece Robson, Jordan Pereira and Darren Nicholls, as well as more game time for Blake Lawrie and Luciano Leilua will only boost the team’s depth going forward.

e277b5667e551c33d8302ffe3705dd88

Gareth Widdop’s shoulder injury was a huge blow to the team.Source: AAP
WHAT WENT WRONG

With a large number of stars involved in State of Origin including Paul Vaughan, Jack de Belin, Frizell, Hunt and Tariq Sims, the Dragons emerged from the representative period visibly a flatter side.

And they weren’t the only players who took part in rep duties with Gareth Widdop and Graham also involved in the Denver Test between England and New Zealand.

Whether or not player management played a part in their late-season slump, a Dragons internal review will determine, but perhaps the coaching staff may do things differently next season.

Injuries also played their part with Widdop (dislocated shoulder) and Vaughan’s (broken foot) absences cruel blows late in the year.

GRADE: B-

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/f381537e768b868b1959447b63f4971d

getsmarty

Immortal
nrlw-rd3_bel_landscape.png

TEAM LISTS

Behind enemy lines: NRLW Round 3
Author
Timestamp
Wed 19 Sep 2018, 12:23 PM

Roosters' women's Head Coach Adam Hartigan has named his week 3 squad to face the St George Illawarra Dragons on Saturday at Allianz Stadium.

Brydie Parker is set to make her debut on the wing this week, replacing injured utility back Sharon McGrady. Zahara Temara shuffles into the halfback position, which sees Maddie Studdon move to the bench.

Nita Maynard will get the start at hooker and Kylie Hilder moves into the reserves. Captain Simaima Taufa returns to the starting line-up at lock.

Venue:Allianz Stadium

Team Lists
Backs

Forwards

Interchange

Reserves

21 22

Roosters Ins
  • Botille Vette-Welsh
  • Brydie Parker
  • Kandy Kennedy
  • Quincy Dodd
  • Sarah Togatuki
Ins
Dragons Ins
  • Asoiva Karpani
  • Josie Strong
  • Sam Bremner
  • Talia Atfield
Roosters Outs
  • Sharon McGrady
Outs
Dragons Ins

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/09/19/behind-enemy-lines-nrlw-round-3/

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL Transfer Centre: Every club’s full squad, player movements, signings and news
NRL Premiership
mark_st_john.jpg

4f99f3f87c57ea770cc74016db90c845

Nathan Cleary and Paul McGregor.Source: FOX SPORTS
DRAGONS winger Jordan Pereira has re-signed with the club for the next two seasons.

The speedster will now be with the Dragons until at least the end of the 2020 NRL season.

The late bloomer made his debut back in Round 19 against the North Queensland Cowboys at the age of 25.

Pereira finished the season in the Dragons with nine games to his name, the last of which was the heartbreaking loss to the Rabbitohs in the semi-finals.

The New Zealand-born Pereira was excited to lock in his future with the Red V.

“Five years ago I was playing park footy,” Pereira told Dragons.com.

“Now I have to pinch myself considering I’m playing with the likes of Jack de Belin, Tyson Frizell, Ben Hunt and Gareth Widdop. It’s definitely a blessing.

“It’s really good news for my fiancé and I to add that stability and security to our future. Being here gives us that extra bit of happiness. We wanted to stay and the two extra pre-seasons will be so beneficial to me, particularly for my development.

“I’m very happy to be running around in first grade now and it’s definitely something I don’t want to give up. I’m very proud to be representing this club and hopefully there’s more NRL games to come.”

Pereira joins the likes of Cameron McInnes, Matt Dufty, Zac Lomax, Jeremy Latimore and Luciano Leilua, who all re-signed with the Dragons this season.

The Dragons also welcome former Broncos prop Korbin Sims who signed a three-year deal in July.

DRAGONS

2018 squad: Ben Hunt (2022), Blake Lawrie (2019), Cameron McInnes (2018), Darren Nicholls (2019), Euan Aitken (2020), Gareth Widdop (2021), Hame Sele (2018), Jack de Belin (2020), Jacob Host (2020), Jai Field (2019), James Graham (2020), Jason Nightingale (2018), Jeremy Latimore (2019), Josh Kerr (2018), Kurt Mann (2019), Leeson Ah Mau (2018), Luciano Leilua (2018), Matt Dufty (2019), Mitchell Allgood (2018), Nene Macdonald (2019), Patrick Herbert (2018), Paul Vaughan (2021), Reece Robson (2019), Reuben Garrick (2018), Jordan Pereira (2018), Steven Marsters (2019), Tariq Sims (2019), Tim Lafai (2020), Tristan Sailor (2019), Tyson Frizell (2020), Zac Lomax (2020)

Off contract: Leeson Ah Mau, Reuben Garrick, Patrick Herbert, Jason Nightingale, Ash Nisbet, Hame Sele, Mitchell Allgood

Coach: Paul McGregor (until 2019)

New deal: Jordan Pereira (until 2020), Cameron McInnes (until 2021), Luciano Leilua (until 2020), Matt Dufty (until 2019), Joe Lovodua (until 2019), Josh Kerr (until 2019), Zac Lomax (until 2020), Jeremy Latimore (until 2019)

Leaving: Joel Thompson (pre-season 2018 to Manly until 2019), Leeson Ah Mau (to Warriors from 2019 to 2021), Jason Nightingale (retiring)

2019 signings: Korbin Sims (to 2021)

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/a4ff46cf7ba4afa868a39971625ea962

getsmarty

Immortal
Wait and see for Bremner ahead of Roosters clash
Dragons Den
r0_0_2426_3423_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

EYEING THE PRIZE: Sam Bremner. Picture: AAP

SHE’S been no stranger to injury in recent years but Dragons skipper Sam Bremner said breaking a toe on the steps at home, just a week out from the NRLW season, was a new kind of frustration.

It wasn’t enough to keep the Jillaroos star out of the Dragons round-one clash with Brisbane, but it forced her to watch her side’s impressive win over the Warriors last week from the stands in a moon boot.

The timing could hardly be worse but, having dealt with much tougher setbacks in recent seasons, Bremner remains positive she can still feature in the Dragons grand final run.

“I just slipped down the steps in my socks and broke my toe, that’s just me I have the most unusual and ridiculous injuries,” Bremner joked.

“I played on it and it just got really inflamed after that game and has taken a while to settle down. You can still play with a broken toe but it’s my big toe and it makes it hard to push off it and sprint.

“At halftime it was killing me but I still wanted to make the most of the opportunity. I got through it, it was just once I finished it blew up.

“I thought my bad run of injuries was gone but it has been a lot easier because I’ve got a game under my belt.

“I’ve had much worse injuries and I saw the specialist [on Tuesday] and, as long as I keep the boot on, it’ll heal no problem. It’s just an unfortunate one.”

Coach Daniel Lacey has named her at fullback for Saturday’s final-round showdown with the Roosters who are still chasing their first win. With a possible grand final berth on the line, he’s likely to give his star No. 1 every chance to make it onto Allianz Stadium.

“We’re just going to see how I go at training for the rest of the week, get to Friday and just go from there,” Bremner said.

“It’s hard to tell just yet, it’s just going to be up to how I’m running and how well I’m running.

“It would be stupid for me to play on it as much as I can now because, when it comes to the crunch and the big games, I’d be totally ruined for it.

“That’s what we’ve got to toss up. I could play this weekend and then be out for the grand final if we get there. We’re trying to be smart with it and manage my training.

“It’s still going to be broken this week, it’s still going to be broken next week, it’s just whether I can bear the pain and run as well as I can.

“I haven’t been completely ruled out of playing, we’ve just got to see how it pulls up. It’s more positive news than I’ve had in the past so I’m OK with it.”

While he’d much rather have Bremner on deck, Lacey had the luxury of shifting Kiwi Ferns star Honey Hireme to fullback last week, with the Test veteran one of the Dragons best in a 22-10 win over the Warriors.

NSW utility Hannah Southwell also laid on a try for Hireme filling in at left centre, with Bremner saying the the performance takes the pressure out of the ultimate call over her fitness.

“It takes so much pressure off you when you have so much faith and trust in your teammates,” Bremner said.

“They did such an unreal job last week which is why I don’t feel any pressure on my shoulders this week. It really helps with the decision we make.

“I’ve got a lot of faith in their ability. I don’t know if they even need me so I don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing but I know they’ll do a great job.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...e-on-bremner-ahead-of-roosters-clash/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
MATCH PREVIEW

Roosters v Dragons: NRLW Round 3 preview
Author
Alicia Newton
Timestamp
Wed 19 Sep 2018, 03:21 PM

After back-to-back defeats the Sydney Roosters will be looking to turn around their form in front of a preliminary final crowd when they clash with St George Illawarra in round three of the NRL Holden Women's Premiership at Allianz Stadium on Saturday.

Both sides are coming off mixed results with the Tricolours struggling to live up to early favouritism.

However last week's results have left Adam Hartigan's side with a chance to feature in the inaugural NRLW grand final if they can secure a big win against the Dragons.

The Red V impressed against the Warriors last week and a repeat performance could send them into the competition's first-ever decider.

In both clubs' advantage will be the fact they'll know exactly where their grand final chances stand by Saturday, with the Broncos and Warriors to clash 24 hours prior.

Key match-up: Isabelle Kelly v Jess Sergis. Both players came off cracking games last week and Sergis, who has played with Kelly for NSW on the wing, will be up for this battle against her old teammate. With both sides spreading the ball wide to their backline, look for the pair to be heavily utilised.

For the Roosters to win: A 55% completion rate is not going to win many games but they need more out of their experienced players, particularly the halves. The forward pack are experienced and making metres but the final tackle options are leaving a lot to be desired. The Tricolours need to go back to basics, kick early and remain patient with the ball in hand.

For the Dragons to win: They just need to hold the ball. The Dragons improved dramatically with just six errors against the Warriors compared to the previous week and that enabled them to get good flow between the outside backs and forwards. It's clear the Red V were on the same page defensively against the Warriors, and they've got the strike power to challenge anyone if they can utilise the ball.

And another thing: There will be plenty of Origin and international talent on show with the Roosters set to field at least 12 players from both NSW and Queensland, while the Dragons could have eight on the paddock if Sam Bremner overcomes a toe injury.

Sydney Roosters v St George Illawarra Dragons, Saturday 5.10pm AEST at Allianz Stadium

Team Lists
Backs

Forwards

Interchange

Reserves

21 22

Roosters Ins
  • Botille Vette-Welsh
  • Brydie Parker
  • Kandy Kennedy
  • Quincy Dodd
  • Sarah Togatuki
Ins
Dragons Ins
  • Asoiva Karpani
  • Josie Strong
  • Sam Bremner
  • Talia Atfield
Roosters Outs
  • Sharon McGrady
Outs
Dragons Ins

Roosters: Sharon McGrady and Kylie Hilder are out and Maddie Studdon moves to the bench, with Brydie Parker on the wing, Zahara Temara at halfback, Nita Maynard at hooker and Simaima Taufa starting at lock. Sarah Togatuki joins the interchange.

Dragons: Captain Sam Bremner returns at fullback with Honey Hireme shifting to centre and Hannah Southwell moving to the bench. Asoiva Karpani starts at prop with Holli Wheeler back to the interchange and Asipau Mafi and Kate Haren dropping to the reserves.

Tarsha Gale's prediction: The Dragons were on fire last week. They could have dropped their heads after a 30-4 loss in round one, but, instead they learned from their mistakes and came back a much stronger team. Full credit to coach Daniel Lacey for the culture he has developed. Dragons wingers Rikeya Horne and Shakiah Tungai, and centres, Jessica Sergis and Honey Hireme, have proven themselves to be absolute weapons. This, combined with their impressive forward pack, will be too much for the Roosters.
Dragons by 8

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/09/20/roosters-v-dragons-nrlw-round-3-preview/

getsmarty

Immortal
season-review_dragons_20180900-1.jpg

DRAGONS

NRL.com Dragons 2018 season review
Author
Alicia Newton
Timestamp
Thu 20 Sep 2018, 04:01 PM

St George Illawarra will look back on their 2018 campaign with mixed feelings after a season of early dominance was followed by a few speed bumps at the business end of the year.

After two seasons of slipping out of finals contention in shock fashion, the Dragons were equal competition leaders up until round 20 and looked like a team with premiership credentials.

Injuries were non-existent, key recruit Ben Hunt had found his groove with skipper Gareth Widdop and the Dragons forward pack was making more metres than any other team.

The challenging time for the side came during the State of Origin period, with five players earning selection for their state.

After winning 12 of their opening 15 matches, Paul McGregor's side slumped to just four wins in their final 11 games.

With the three-game interstate series came injuries, mental fatigue and a dip in form across the board – none more so than for Hunt, with the former Broncos recruit subject of plenty of criticism.

They went from a healthy team to a busted one by season's end, with six of their key men out or struggling with significant injuries.

NRL Teams rate the Dragons' season

Key man Widdop succumbed to a shoulder injury while Paul Vaughan, Jack de Belin, Tariq Sims and Nene Macdonald struggled with setbacks late in the piece.

The Dragons' strong start to the year was enough to see them feature in the finals for the first time in two years but McGregor's men will rue their inability to finish in the top four.

A barnstorming 48-18 effort against the Broncos after being written off in the opening week of the finals was a reward for the team, but their 13-12 semi-final loss to the Rabbitohs a week later showed there is still improvement required in the clutch moments.

Dragons fans should find hope in the season as a whole, with a wealth of youth in Luciano Leilua, Jai Field, Jordan Pereira, Zac Lomax and Blake Lawrie given their shot at the top grade. With a relatively unchanged squad next season, the experience of a finals series will only make the hungry for another giant step in 2019.

Best player

There were many standouts throughout the year but Cameron McInnes led from the front with some big numbers to come into calculation for NSW Origin selection.

The 24-year-old never missed a game and touched the ball more than any other player in the competition in 2018 with 2794 receipts. He fell second behind Damien Cook for most carries out of dummy half and set up nine tries from close range.

He finished the season with 1147 tackles at a team-high 93.5% tackle efficiency, and doubled his running metres compared to last season with 60.5 on average, offering more flare out of dummy half.

Overall there was a lot of consistency in the Dragons' game for most of the year with several players getting through every game unscathed. Centre Tim Lafai never missed a minute in 2018, while fullback Matt Dufty also starred in his debut season in the No.1 jersey with 16 line breaks, 106 tackle busts and 126.9 average running metres.

What-if moment

It would be easy to question Ben Hunt's decision to run the ball on the last tackle during the dying moments of the semi-final loss to the Bunnies but at that point it looked like the Dragons' season was just hanging on.

Put simply, the Red V needed to reach the top four given their start to the year, so looking at their period after round 16, what if they managed to come out on top in one or two more games they were expected to win? What if their key men remained fit? Given the closeness of the competition in 2018, it could've been a whole different finals scenario for them.

The quote

"I said through the week, if criticism was to come to the team it should come through the coach so leave my players alone," Dragons coach Paul McGregor said on August 18.

"I understand the criticism because it goes with my role. The players get 80 minutes every week to go and protect that character. Benny will be out next week protecting it."

Ben Hunt's performances in the second half of the season, when he also lost his Queensland starting jersey, brought wide media coverage and forced the Dragons coach to step in at various stages each week and defend his playmaker. Hunt later told NRL.com the pressure, expectation and criticism had got to a point where he needed to see a psychiatrist and step away from social media involvement.

Best win

The Dragons stood tall with big wins over Cronulla and Melbourne in the early rounds but given the circumstances late in the year, their 48-18 thrashing of Brisbane will be one to remember for the Red V faithful. After slipping to seventh of the ladder at season's end, there were few backing the Dragons to head to Suncorp Stadium and pull off an upset in the sudden-death clash. Jack de Belin was in a moon boot all week, while Gareth Widdop returned from a shoulder injury briefly to put Wayne Bennett's side to the sword. It was a enjoyable return to Brisbane for former Bronco Hunt, who had a big day out in his first appearance in rival colours at the venue.

Match Highlights: Broncos v Dragons - Week 1 Finals, 2018

Worst loss

The Dragons will rue home losses to the Wests Tigers and Warriors but their toughest defeat to accept would have been their 38-0 shutout loss to Canterbury in round 24. It was a tumultuous period for the club with their home fans booing players off the paddock after a promising performance a week earlier.

Roster rotation

St George Illawarra will keep their core side together for next season but will lose two players in consistent forward Leeson Ah Mau, who has signed with the Warriors, and long-time servant Jason Nightingale to retirement. The Dragons found a suitable replacement for Ah Mau with Broncos forward Korbin Sims signing a three-year deal with the club from next season, while Jordan Pereira has re-signed on a new two-year contract after a strong debut year. The club have most of their regular stars signed up to long-term deals with only James Graham, Tariq Sims, Nene Macdonald, Kurt Mann and Matt Dufty coming off contract next season.

2019 outlook

There is no reason why the Dragons can't find optimism out of 2018 and push on towards next year. The positives outweighed the negatives and with a healthier roster at the latter stages of the season, another strong start will boost the side to make further steps in ensuring their recent finals experience wasn't a one-off experience. The premiership window is open for the Dragons if they're good enough to build on their finals exit and build on it.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/09/20/st-george-illawarra-dragons-2018-season-review/

getsmarty

Immortal
DRAGONS

Sergis gets perfect 21st birthday present
Author
Chris Kennedy
Timestamp
Thu 20 Sep 2018, 01:27 PM

Dragons centre Jessica Sergis got the ideal 21st birthday present last Saturday, scoring one try and saving two in a brilliant all-round performance in her team's maiden NRWL win – a 22-10 triumph at ANZ Stadium last Saturday.

The performance was even more remarkable given Sergis is managing an ongoing ankle injury that badly restricted her preparation for the tournament.

Sergis also had to overcome concussion protocol after being knocked out in a monster collision with Broncos winger Julia Robinson in her team's opening-round loss, but shook off both injuries to play a match-winning hand against the Warriors.

She could barely put weight on her left ankle in the Dragons' sheds shortly after the win, but the pain couldn't hold back a beaming smile.

"To get the win, we obviously wanted that but I got a meat pie so I was pretty stoked about that," she laughed.

"We knew this was a do or die game for us. Our heads were screwed on and we're stoked with the win, we're on the ladder now so all we've got to do is focus on [the Roosters]."

sergisj-2gp_2708.jpg

Dragons centre Jessica Sergis. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
Remarkably the match was just her third for the year.

"I've had two major foot injuries so I knew it was going to be a struggle [to get through this series]," she added.

"I did my ankle; it's been 13 weeks now. I haven't played any footy really at all.

"I did it in a game coming back from another injury. It's a little niggle. Hopefully it settles down in the next couple of days and hopefully I'll be fine.

"It got in my head a couple of times but once we got rolling I kind of forgot about it and the adrenaline kicked in."

Luckily the previous week's head knock was less of an issue.

"I got all my testing done throughout the week. It was pretty straightforward, I kind of knew all week I was going to play."

Sergis's performance also drew praise from her coach Daniel Lacey.

"I'm really happy for Jess, it was her birthday, she gets a try," he said after the game.

"I couldn't be prouder. We'll be celebrating Jess's birthday in a good way."

Wednesdays Our Way - Round 3

Pressed on Sergis's resilience and dual try-saving tackles on powerful Warriors winger Langi Veainu, Lacey added: "That's character.

"It's an all-new competition and these girls have to set what the boundaries are, what the expectations are, they have to set that.

"Nobody knew how this competition was going to go. We needed to turn up in defence. They're a big team with power through the middle. We had to match that. The fact we did match that and played off the back of it, it's good signs. You know you're in good shape if the team is defending for each other."

Sergis has been named to back up this week against the Roosters. It sets up a tantalising head-to-head battle with her fellow Jillaroos and Blues centre Isabelle Kelly, who has been one of the form players of the competition on the Roosters' left edge.

Secure a match ticket
A limited amount of tickets are still left to enjoy the 2018 Telstra Premiership NRL Grand Final. Don’t miss your chance to secure your seat via Ticketek HERE

Travelling for the grand final?
You can secure your tickets and travel all in the one place with ‘build your own’ packages still available HERE

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/09/20/sergis-gets-perfect-21st-birthday-present/

getsmarty

Immortal
The wife of St George Illawarra's Gareth Widdop, Carley, says a lot goes into it
What's On
r0_0_6184_4134_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

FITTING: Carley Widdop's red carpet outfit has been weeks in the making with Donny Galella, starting with a 'style survey' she had to fill out. Picture: Chris Pavlich

It’s been an emotional few weeks for Carley Widdop after her husband Gareth – skipper of St George Illawarra – had his footy season cut short due to a shoulder injury.

It was difficult to see him on the sidelines after he had done so much for the team throughout the year, Mrs Widdop told the Mercury.

With the Dragons now out of the running for the premiership, the Wollongong WAG said there was still the Dally M Awards to look forward to.

This week Widdop met with celebrity stylist and former Edmond Rice student Donny Galella who was organising the perfect red carpet outfit for her along with a number of other wives and girlfriends.

• r0_0_6184_4134_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
  • r0_59_800_509_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
The awards are NRL’s night of nights where many people are more interested in red carpet attire rather than who has been voted player of the year.

It can sometimes be a bit of a war between me and the [AFL] Brownlow Medal stylists.

Donny Galella
“I have to think about all different body sizes – I’ve got women from a size six to up to a size 12,” Galella said.

“I’ve been cultivating [the gowns] over last of four to five weeks, and I’ve approached different designers … grabbed things that come off the runways.

“It can sometimes be a bit of a war between me and the [AFL] Brownlow Medal stylists.”

Key trends this year include lots of embellishment – beading, sequins and detail on sleeves.

Widdop doesn’t go for particular themes though likes to keep her look classy, fresh and fun but will go with something a bit “edgy” this year.

It’s not all glitz and glamour like people think, not all the time anyway.

Carley Widdop
“It can be quit crushing if you’re not on the [media’s] ‘hot list’ but I’ve sort of put that to the back of my mind these days,” she said.

Meantime, regular facials are a must leading up to the awards night so a WAG can ensure her face is fresh and clean.

Read More: Foodie precinct set to open at Warrawong Plaza in December

The pressure to look good is real, she said, because before you get to your seat everybody has critiqued the outfit online.

r0_0_6720_4474_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Illawarra ex-pat Donny Galella is a celebrity fashion stylist, personal shopper and makeover expert. He's dressing around a dozen WAGs for this year's Dally M Awards. Picture: Chris Pavlich

As for the bitchiness you see portrayed on fictional TV WAGs? Not at all, said Widdop.

“The girls are quite nice and down to earth, and most of them have young children now so our priorities have changed,” she said.

“We don’t necessarily always go to the football each week. We might have to sit on the couch with a glass of wine and let the kids run around while we watch our husbands on TV.

“It’s not all glitz and glamour like people think, not all the time anyway.”

Read More: Illawarra costume designers open up about their material world

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...nes-look-at-getting-dally-m-red-carpet-ready/

getsmarty

Immortal
'SerMax': Are Zac Lomax and Jessica Sergis the 'Posh and Becks' of the NRL?

mastermind5991

Roar Guru
Yesterday

Those who were at ANZ Stadium cheering on the St George Illawarra Dragons’ men’s and women’s sides last Saturday night would have witnessed impressive individual efforts by men’s centre Zac Lomax, and his girlfriend, women’s centre Jessica Sergis.

Sergis was one of the women’s best as she celebrated her 21st birthday in the Dragons’ 22-10 win over the New Zealand Warriors, scoring an impressive try in the second half and saving two others as the club won their first match in the NRL Women’s Premiership.

Highlighting her toughness at such a young age, she’d been knocked out trying to tackle Broncos winger Julia Robinson the previous week, which saw the Dragons outclassed 30-4 by a more experienced Brisbane Broncos side at Suncorp Stadium.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Email
She had previously played rugby league until the age of 12, when restrictions against women playing against men were put into effect, but returned to playing the sport last year, representing both New South Wales and Australia.

Already the 21-year-old has made an impression for the Dragons’ women’s team, and will loom as one of their key players when they face the Sydney Roosters in the first NRLW Sydney Derby this Saturday night, with a possible grand final berth on the line.

Jessica-Sergis.jpg

Apii Nicholls of the Warriors is tackled by Jessica Sergis of the Dragons (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts)

After the women’s side’s win over the Warriors, Lomax retained his place in the men’s side when Euan Aitken failed to recover in time from the hamstring injury he suffered in the Dragons’ Round 24 loss the Bulldogs last month.

That opened the door for Lomax, who made his NRL debut in Round 10 and who turns 19 on Monday, to make his return to the side, and he made the most of his promotion, kicking ten goals from twelve attempts across matches against the Knights, Broncos and Rabbitohs.

Against the Bunnies, he was one of the Dragons’ best as he kicked a penalty goal to put them up by 12-11 with less than five minutes remaining, but they would go down by 13-12 after Adam Reynolds kicked two late field goals to send his side into a preliminary final.

— LadiesWhoLeague (@LadiesWhoLeague) September 15, 2018

Like Sergis, Lomax also looms as a key player for the Dragons in the future, especially with the retirement of Jason Nightingale, which has left no players remaining at the club from their 2010 premiership triumph.

The relationship between the pair has led some to dub them the ‘Posh and Becks’ of the NRL, with other such couples also existing in other sports, most notably soccer, cricket and tennis.

The most famous sporting couple of them all is David and Victoria Beckham, who first met at the height of their respective careers, with David being a footballer for Manchester United and Victoria being one fifth of British pop group the Spice Girls.

After becoming engaged in January 1998, the couple welcomed their first child, Brooklyn, in March 1999 before marrying four months later. They have since had two further sons, Romeo and Cruz, and a daughter, Harper Seven.

The family are frequently seen in public. While David is long retired, Victoria recently celebrated a decade of her own fashion brand.

Their relationship, which has lasted over two decades, arguably set the precedent for more famous couples involving sportspeople worldwide.

Following his loss to Marat Safin in the final of the 2005 Australian Open, now-retired tennis player Lleyton Hewitt proposed to his actress girlfriend, Bec Cartwright, some six weeks after they first started dating.

This came following Hewitt’s split from another tennis player, Belgian Kim Clijsters, who called off their engagement over an apparent argument over their wedding plans.

Hewitt and Cartwright wed at the Sydney Opera House in July 2005, and the pair welcomed their first of three children later that year.

We all know why Lance ‘Buddy’ Franklin decided to move to Sydney at the end of the 2013 AFL season – to be closer to his then-girlfriend, Jesinta Campbell, whom he had started dating that year.

Lance-Franklin.jpg

Lance Franklin of the Swans (Photo by Ryan Pierse/Getty Images)

When he put off contract talks with his then-club Hawthorn, the footballing media speculated that he would move to the Greater Western Sydney Giants, who were crying out for a marquee player after struggling their way through the 2013 season, winning just one match.

Many believed that signing a player of his calibre would not only boost the club’s on-field results, but also generate some revenue and boost the club’s membership figures, which today stands at over 25,000.

However, the Swans’ offer of a nine-year, multi-million dollar contract proved to be too tempting, and Buddy rejected the Giants’ offer to join the red-and-whites, then at the height of their success having taken out the 2012 premiership at the expense of his Hawks.

Buddy then became engaged to Jesinta Campbell in December 2014 and they wed in November 2016.

In January 2006, English Test cricket Kevin Pietersen started dating singer Jessica Taylor, then a member of pop group Liberty X, who were manufactured out of the “losing” finalists from the TV show Popstars, which aired in the UK in 2001.

Like David and Victoria Beckham before them, Pietersen was at the peak of his cricketing career, having just featured in England’s 2005 Ashes series win, while Taylor was also enjoying success in her singing career, which has since stalled.

Just five months after first dating, the pair became engaged, and the pair’s relationship became a major talking point among the media during England’s tour of Australia in 2006-07, in which they were clean-swept 5-0.

They married in December 2007 with Pietersen’s former national teammate, Darren Gough, acting as best man. They now have two children together.

Pietersen was then sacked from the England Test cricket team after they were embarrassed by Australia during the 2013-14 Ashes series, losing all five Tests with Pietersen scoring over 50 just twice. Many claim his sacking from the team saved his marriage to Taylor.

Another super sporting couple that has also emerged recently is German footballer Bastian Schweinsteiger and Serbian tennis player Ana Ivanovic, who retired in December 2016 after an injury-riddled final few years.

The pair started dating in 2014, became engaged in 2015 and then married in July 2016. Now living in the United States, the pair welcomed their first child into the world six months ago.

Advertisement
Ivanovic had previously been linked to Australian golfer Adam Scott, but she called time on that relationship after enduring a period of struggle in 2010 which saw her drop out of the world’s top 50.

Another sporting couple soon to wed are American basketballer David Lee and Danish tennis player Caroline Wozniacki, who became engaged late last year.

Caroline-Wozniacki-Australian-Open-2018-Final.jpg

Denmark’s Caroline Wozniacki (AP Photo/Ng Han Guan)

Wozniacki, who won the Australian Open earlier this year, had previously been engaged to Irish golfer Rory McIlroy, but she called off that relationship in 2014 just days after they had issued wedding invitations to their friends and family.

To conclude, if some of the world’s sporting couples are anything to go by, then the St George Illawarra Dragons’ power couple of Zac Lomax and Jessica Sergis are going to have their work cut out becoming the NRL’s version of Posh and Becks.

But could it possibly happen?

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/09/...jessica-sergis-the-posh-and-becks-of-the-nrl/

getsmarty

Immortal
Sergis out to make up for lost time
Local Sport
r0_0_4195_3440_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

IN FORM: Dragons centre Jess Sergis scored a try and saved two in her side's win over the Warriors last week. Picture: NRL Photos

IT took just one game, and a memorable hat-trick on debut for NSW, to make the name Jess Sergis one of the biggest in women's rugby league.

Sergis’ three tries in a breakthrough win for the Blues led to a Jillaroos debut months later, making her one of the brightest up and coming stars in the game.

It made it easy enough to forget that that scintillating performance in a blue jumper came in what was just her sixth game of rugby league.

Missing World Cup selection and frustrating run with injury means she's added only a handful of games to that tally, with toe and ankle injuries severely limiting her time on the park heading into the NRLW season with the Dragons.

“It was really frustrating because last year was such a good year for me,” Sergis said.

“I was doing some preseason stuff and I tore a ligament in my toe and I just couldn't believe how much a toe affected your whole foot.

“As soon as that started to get right I came back for my first game of the year and picked up a high ankle sprain.

“Getting a major foot injury and then coming back 10 weeks later and doing my other foot was really depressing. It was a goal of mine to get back for Origin but it just wasn't progressing how we wanted it to progress.

“My next goal was to get fit and healthy for the women's premiership and I am now. I've just got some niggles, I just need to stay on top of them.”

Such an impressive breakout year ensured she carried the weight of expectation into the NRLW season, despite a lack of time on the park. It's something she was certainly not oblivious to, but the 21-year-old said it hasn't weighed on her heavily.

“When I played for NSW last year and then for the Jillaroos I did feel a bit of pressure because that [Origin] game just really went in my favour,” she said.

“To play for NSW and the Jillaroos all in one year, then miss out on the World Cup was a massive of an eye-opener. There was a bit of pressure there and coming into this year I was a bit nervous but I've really got nothing to prove.

“I haven't really played any footy this year so, talking to my family and my partner [Dragons rookie Zac Lomax], they just said ‘it's a clean slate, start afresh, if you play goo you play good, if you don't it's fine you haven't played any footy this year.

“They just reminded me that I had nothing to lose and to just go out there and enjoy it.”

She certainly did that in a barnstorming display against the Warriors last week, scoring a try and saving two in a 22-10 win that keeps their grand final hopes alive heading into Saturday's clash with the Roosters.

It sets up a mouth-watering battle with star Roosters centre Isabelle Kelly.

“I've played against Izzy a couple of times now and we're pretty good mates,” Sergis said.

“There'll be a bit of rivalry but I'm just excited. She's an awesome player and an awesome girl so it'll be exciting to see how it all goes.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5660419/sergis-out-to-make-up-for-lost-time/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
horner-1gp_5261.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

NRLW 24-hour warning: Round 3 v Roosters
Author
Timestamp
Fri 21 Sep 2018, 06:45 PM

St George Illawarra coach Daniel Lacey has amended the Dragons' Women's Premiership squad ahead of the Round 3 clash against the Sydney Roosters at Allianz Stadium on Saturday, September 22.

Eva Karpani and Josie Strong are the unlucky duo to miss out for the Dragons. Holli Wheeler is promoted to the front row as a result.

Kicking off at 5:10pm, the Dragons require a win over the Roosters to qualify for next weekend's inaugural NRL Holden Women's Premiership grand final against the Brisbane Broncos.

The Dragons (-14 points differential) can only afford a one point loss to the Roosters (-16) to otherwise qualify for the grand final on percentages.

Women's Premiership squad for Round 3 v Roosters:

1. Sam Bremner (c) – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
2. Rikeya Horne – sponsored by University of Wollongong
3. Jessica Sergis – sponsored by Powerade
4. Honey Hireme – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
5. Shakiah Tungai
6. Keeley Davis – sponsored by Dincel
7. Raecene McGregor – sponsored by Wollongong Diagnostics
8. Oneata Schwalger
9. Anneka Stephens
14. Holli Wheeler
11. Kezie Apps – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
12. Talesha Quinn – sponsored by Anytime Fitness
13. Annette Brander – sponsored by EFEX

Interchange:
15. Hannah Southwell
16. Teina Clark
17. Melanie Howard
18. Asipau Mafi
19. Kate Haren
20. Talia Atfield – sponsored by Baimed Performance

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/09/21/nrlw-24-hour-warning-round-3-v-roosters/

getsmarty

Immortal
INTRUST SUPER PREMIERSHIP

2018 Intrust Super Premiership NSW Team Of The Year
Author
NSWRL
Timestamp
Fri 21 Sep 2018, 05:10 PM

Players from the St George Illawarra Dragons (five) and the Penrith Panthers (four) dominate the 2018 Intrust Super Premiership NSW Team of the Year, including Caleb Aekins as captain for being the best player all season.

The key positions of fullback, five-eighth, halfback and hooker are all made up of players aged 22 and under, highlighting the high amount of up-and-coming talent within the Intrust Super Premiership NSW.

Out of the 17 players picked, 10 made their NRL debut in 2018.

Newtown coach Greg Matterson has been named as the Coach of the Year ahead of the Jets’ 2018 Grand Final appearance.

PLAYER

CLUB

1. Caleb Aekins (C)

Penrith Panthers

2. Jordan Pereira

St George Illawarra Dragons

3. Patrick Herbert

4. Adam Keighran

Penrith Panthers

5. Sione Katoa

Newtown Jets

6. Connor Tracey

North Sydney Bears

7. Kyle Flanagan

Newtown Jets

8. Kaide Ellis

Penrith Panthers

9. Reece Robson

10. Renouf To’omaga

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

11. Luke Garner

Western Suburbs Magpies

12. Sitili Tupouniua

Wyong Roos

13. Blake Lawrie

14. Darren Nicholls

15. Tom Amone

Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles

16. Liam Martin

Penrith Panthers

17. Tevita Satae

Warriors

COACH: Greg Matterson

Newtown Jets

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/09/22/2018-intrust-super-premiership-nsw-team-of-the-year/