What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ashamed to be a league fan

Tank30

Juniors
nqboy said:
There was no strip.

Agreed...

nqboy said:
Hodgson knocked on, it hit his left arm.

I am not convinced that this is the case.

nqboy said:
So did Thurston.

No way in the world.

nqboy said:
Thurston's tackle was okay, Hodgson was not held as the other player had fallen off the tackle. Both driving tackles were fine.

Read the rules, as soon as the first player touched him he was held as the ball was touching the ground at the time of the impact of the tackle.

nqboy said:
West was appalling and so was the touchie on the near side who missed King's cheap shot and Gasnier putting a foot in touch when thrown over in a tackle. Fair dinkum, what WAS he looking at?

Leave the poor touchie alone, it is not his fault that his eyes were painted on..Both of these incidents should have been picked up and King's cheap shot was atrocious..

Hutty1986

Immortal
Price clearly stripped the ball, whilst Hodgson's try was much more contentious

What about Lockyer being offisde?

That was the match winner so it certainly more than evened the ledger

Iafeta

Referee
The Price one is still highly contentious in my book. Technically, by the rulebook the call was right.

But as I've said before, what price (excuse the pun) ball security? Price's hands weren't around the ball for long, he made a solid contact tackling around the ball and was actually bumped off by Grothe who with Price reeling around the ball dropped it. If you speed it up to normal time the whole interaction around the ball is in a very, very short space of time and gives next to no time really to get in there and dislodge the ball with serious intent, going more so off how quick it happens the ball security issue of Grothe needs serious addressing. There was one similar last weekend on Lance Hohaia against Penrith where he made contact with the ball in a very good tackle on Stapleton, who dropped it cold, only for Hohaia to be penalised. Technically, yes he tackled around the ball - but soon enough if we follow all codes of the rulebook the head area will be out, legs will be taboo incase the player gets upended, and it doesn't leave a whole lot more with the ball being sacrasanct.

The stripping rule is a grey area that needs serious attention. In some respects, if your ball security is that poor you deserve to turnover possession.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Tank30 said:
An overhaul is needed but there is never going to be a situation where all of the rules are iron clad, they will always be open to interpretation.

I agree... But I think we can make it a bit easier though.

yakstorm

First Grade
The_MaFeeLi_Tiger said:
Get your facts right, David Gallop runs the NRL and not S.O.O, which is run by the ARL. I heard Ben Ikin make the same mistake in commentary tonight.

Acctually if we are getting our facts right, the NRL does run State of Origin on behalf of the ARL. It is an ARL event, but they outsource it to the NRL and appropiate promotion companies to be run.

However just on the refs issue, well that is decided between the NSWRL and QRL, the ARL/NRL/ARLRA all put forward suggestions, but those two bodies argue it out till they agree on a ref.

Latest posts